OFFICIAL LA CLIPPERS 2012 OFFSEASON THREAD

lawdog1

Supporter
It was a great season, but I think the Spurs series proved we're not yet in the same class as the real championship contenders.  But I think we can get there, or close to it, with the right offseason moves. To me the biggest things we need to do are: (1) upgrade the coach (I don't think VDN is bad, but we need someone better to get us to the next level); (2) solidify the SG spot (I like Young, but think we should look to see if we can get someone even better); and (3) get more offense out of the 4 and/or 5 position (we need a big man who defenses actually have to guard).  
What does everyone else think? 

Blake needs to get rid of that hitch in his jumpshot and continue to improve is post game. realistically, he should be a 25 ppg guy next year by just fixing his free throw stroke. i know seeing hakeem is the thing to do, but blake just really look into it.

We really need a shooter. We lost billups and that changed the whole dynamic. I hope we dont chase an overpriced veteran just to fill this need.

VDN is not the answer his coaching was not up to snuff his substitutions were insane.

Jordan is an issue he is way overpriced for his production lately. We need to resign Evans and keep our core together.

Griffin needs to develop his game outside of the paint.

And most important we need to lock in cp3.

Great season
pimp.gif
. Proud of our team.

With that said, Olshey definitely has his work cut out for him this offseason, especially with the number of FAs we have.

It's going to be very interesting to see what direction we're going to go regarding our eventual coaching vacancy.

Blake needs to work on footwork and some more moves.  Other than that, this is a good team to build on.  Need some more half court set plays as well.. (new coach?)

So Jerry Sloan announced that he's coming out of retirement. He's a great coach, but I'm not sure about him for our squad. I guess Olshey should at least see if he has any interest in coming to LA.

CORE: Chris Paul, Eric Bledsoe, Caron Butler, Blake Griffin & DeAndre Jordan
OUT: Mo Williams, Randy Foye & Ryan Gomes
KEEP: Chauncey Billups, Nick Young, Reggie Evans & Kenyon Martin (GOON SQUAD!)

List of FA targets:

Lamar Odom

Trevor Ariza

Grant Hill

Ray Allen

OJ Mayo

JR Smith

Kevin Garnett

Ivan Johnson

Jordan Hill

This should be a very interesting offseason for ClipperNation
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by mjshoefanatic

CORE: Chris Paul, Eric Bledsoe, Caron Butler, Blake Griffin & DeAndre Jordan
OUT: Mo Williams, Randy Foye & Ryan Gomes
KEEP: Chauncey Billups, Nick Young, Reggie Evans & Kenyon Martin (GOON SQUAD!)

List of FA targets:

Lamar Odom

Trevor Ariza

Grant Hill

Ray Allen

OJ Mayo

JR Smith

Kevin Garnett

Ivan Johnson

Jordan Hill

This should be a very interesting offseason for ClipperNation
pimp.gif

I think we need to stay as far away from odom as possible. He is trash and he proved it this season. OJ Mayo would be perfect. JR Smith needs the ball to much. I dont think we can afford Garnett. Ariza would be perfect.

Coach I want is McMillan.

What about bringing back Kaman??

Originally Posted by lawdog1

It was a great season, but I think the Spurs series proved we're not yet in the same class as the real championship contenders.  But I think we can get there, or close to it, with the right offseason moves. To me the biggest things we need to do are: (1) upgrade the coach (I don't think VDN is bad, but we need someone better to get us to the next level); (2) solidify the SG spot (I like Young, but think we should look to see if we can get someone even better); and (3) get more offense out of the 4 and/or 5 position (we need a big man who defenses actually have to guard).  
What does everyone else think? 

VDN still has a head full of hair, he ain't stressed out.  I have no clue how he was able to be a head coach.  I would go w/ Stan Van Gundy.

In terms of the existing team, I think they are FINE.  You don't need to constantly make changes.  If there is one thing though, I think getting rid of Nick Young would be a good move.  Guys like him are streaky and just don't have the same amount of passion as the other guys.  He tries really hard to get an attention and his mindset is not yet committed to winning a championship.

There's no need to upgrade anything.  Blake is the cornerstone and he simply needs to improve his interior game.  When he does, it'll make them deadly because he will continue to dunk, as well as develop an inside game.

But with time, his flying antics will be limited, so its best that he starts on his game now.

That list I made was just to give us more than one option at each backup position that we need to address this offseason especially since Mo, Randy and Ryan more than likely won't be coming back.

BTW I'm cool on seeing a repeat of the Kaveman show. L-O is far from trash he just didn't want to play in Dallas so his head was elsewhere plus he had some serious off court situations that made it all a bad fit. We all know he'd love to be back in LA surrounded by Kardashians. Trust he would play focused MAN
laugh.gif
For the record I wouldn't be opposed to us checking out Michael Beasley either.

Originally Posted by mjshoefanatic

That list I made was just to give us more than one option at each backup position that we need to address this offseason especially since Mo, Randy and Ryan more than likely won't be coming back.

BTW I'm cool on seeing a repeat of the Kaveman show. L-O is far from trash he just didn't want to play in Dallas so his head was elsewhere plus he had some serious off court situations that made it all a bad fit. We all know he'd love to be back in LA surrounded by Kardashians. Trust he would play focused MAN
laugh.gif
For the record I wouldn't be opposed to us checking out Michael Beasley either.
I know I just hope we keep reggie, and Kmart. Keeping billups to me is a big risk I dont think he can come back from that injury at his age but I could be wrong.

I think the Kaveman would have been perfect for our roster especially with how crummy DJ is playing. Dj has a big upside but if he dont shape up we ship him out.

I just feel LO will just keep staring at Purple and Gold and treat us like a rebound. That boy left Dallas with a Lakers shirt on
roll.gif

I am hopping they amnesty maggette and we can pick him up. One of my favorite clippers.

The coaching situation is interesting to me. Clearly it's going to be at the recommendation of Paul and Griffin, I wonder what they're thinking. Wouldn't surprise me if Paul wanted to keep Vinny, rather than give up control to another coach. Because lets face it, CP3 ran the show the whole year, because he has Vinny's job in his hands. The Clips could pick up Vinny's option, and let the same thing happen rather than risk hiring someone who CP3 doesn't get along with and then having to eat that contract to keep him. But i'm just spitballing
laugh.gif

I'm sure the first thing on the agenda will be to trade Mo. I would love to get either Frye, Morrow or Mike Miller.

Hopefully Nick Young will take the mid-level.

Please amnesty Corey Maggette, MJ, do it for CP3

The best FA coach is McMillan. As for players Mayo, Jordan Hill, Trevor Ariza would be great additions.
I dunno if Mayo is willing to sign for 6-8 milli. I think hes looking for more. At least 12.

McMillan would be a great fit for the Clips because he stresses the PG position so much, and their D would get infinitely better. Clips should add a serious defender at the guard position and get a low post guy to compliment Griffin. If they do that, they could take a team like the Spurs to a Game 6, at the very least. K-Mart wasn't the answer. 

if odom really wants to be play in LA so bad he would be a perfect pick up for the bi-annual. could play stretch 4 with the bench, or point forward to take pressure off bled with the second unit.

I'm also not sure how Chauncey would fit into the plans if they want to give Bledsoe a lot of minutes.

Originally Posted by Brondiesel

The best FA coach is McMillan. As for players Mayo, Jordan Hill, Trevor Ariza would be great additions.
I dunno if Mayo is willing to sign for 6-8 milli. I think hes looking for more. At least 12.
Juice ain't getting that, especially after the poor playoff showing. I think he'll sign a deal similar to Caron Butler. Somewhere in the neighborhood of three years-$24 million.

Get rid of VDN?  I don't even understand this reasoning.  Clippers had the BEST season EVER thanks to VDN.  If anything Sterling should give this guy a freaking bonus and raise.  Unless it's P.Jackson coming in... keep VDN!  No reason to start all over again with a new system after this great of a season! 
Blake needs to develop a consistent jump shot ala Karl Malone and improve his free throw shooting for crying out loud!  Dude can't expect to jump over every single defender and his post move buckets are luck 25-50% of the time.  

I want them to trade DeAndre. Even though he was the funny guy on the team, dude SUCKS!  All that money for what? Tip ins? Alley oops? Dunks? 2-3 block shots per game and below .500 FT shooting?  He doesn't even play in the 4th Qtr due his inability to make FTs!  Please trade him! I am sorry but Kaveman (less his constant injuries) was so much better than this cat.  

SG wise? Foye was amazing in the 2nd half of the season but in the playoffs he stunk so he should be gone!  Mo, and hopefully Nick Young are perfect behind Billups who said he will resign.  No issues there.

SF is where they need to invest in.  Caron disappeared in the 2nd half of the season and whose behind him? Gomes?  
tired.gif

Eric Bledsoe showed glimpse of greatness but also showed a lot of immaturity and lack of control.  With CP3 guiding him, I see a much better season from him next year. 

Resign KMart/Evans! Those two are perfect for the Clippers goon squad!  

Overall I think a lil tweak here and there and the Clippers should have a much better team next  year!  

Originally Posted by SaintVitus07

McMillan would be a great fit for the Clips because he stresses the PG position so much, and their D would get infinitely better. Clips should add a serious defender at the guard position and get a low post guy to compliment Griffin. If they do that, they could take a team like the Spurs to a Game 6, at the very least. K-Mart wasn't the answer. 
According to the GM, those are the exact two player moves the teams is looking at this offseason.  A big, traditional SG and a skilled PF/C who can play with Griffin and/or Jordan.  Not clear if its going to happen through trade or free agency.  

Nothing has been said publicly about the coaching situation, but I think most Clippers fans, including me, are figuring VDN is not going to have his contract picked up and will be replaced.

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

Get rid of VDN?  I don't even understand this reasoning.  Clippers had the BEST season EVER thanks to VDN.  If anything Sterling should give this guy a freaking bonus and raise.  Unless it's P.Jackson coming in... keep VDN!  No reason to start all over again with a new system after this great of a season! 
Blake needs to develop a consistent jump shot ala Karl Malone and improve his free throw shooting for crying out loud!  Dude can't expect to jump over every single defender and his post move buckets are luck 25-50% of the time.  

I want them to trade DeAndre. Even though he was the funny guy on the team, dude SUCKS!  All that money for what? Tip ins? Alley oops? Dunks? 2-3 block shots per game and below .500 FT shooting?  He doesn't even play in the 4th Qtr due his inability to make FTs!  Please trade him! I am sorry but Kaveman (less his constant injuries) was so much better than this cat.  

SG wise? Foye was amazing in the 2nd half of the season but in the playoffs he stunk so he should be gone!  Mo, and hopefully Nick Young are perfect behind Billups who said he will resign.  No issues there.

SF is where they need to invest in.  Caron disappeared in the 2nd half of the season and whose behind him? Gomes?  
tired.gif

Eric Bledsoe showed glimpse of greatness but also showed a lot of immaturity and lack of control.  With CP3 guiding him, I see a much better season from him next year. 

Resign KMart/Evans! Those two are perfect for the Clippers goon squad!  

Overall I think a lil tweak here and there and the Clippers should have a much better team next  year!  
You must have missed those 26 losses where he was out coached not to mention the 2nd Rd sweep. 
We'd be better off hiring Sam Cassell or Billups to coach this team next season. I sort of agree with everything else you posted
laugh.gif

If we dont get rid of VDN we are going to stay stagnant. We got the opportunity to set up a good run next year. Seriously I hate doing it but with Billups and CP3 on the floor it would have been us getting ready to smash on the thunder. Why it wasnt that Billups was so great of a player but he was a leader and you could see it. The clippers only did this good because Paul put them on his back. Getting a coach that someone else is not paying half there contracts is going to make a statement that we are for real. Sorry but VDN has to go.

[h2][/h2]
[h2] Source: Mike Malone on Paul’s Short List [/h2]
By Eric Pincus
Senior NBA Writer

Email Print3 Comments

It remains unclear what decisions the Los Angeles Clippers will make regarding the coming season for Coach Vinny Del Negro.  The team has an option on the final year of his contract but have yet to publicly clarify their intentions.

Part of the decision will likely be based on the feelings of Chris Paul and Blake Griffin.  The Clippers would like nothing more than to ink to both stars to long-term deals.

Griffin is believed to be a lock to extend beyond his rookie contract.  To date, Paul has been vocally supportive of the franchise and its future.

According to a source, Chris Paul has Golden State Warriors Assistant Coach Mike Malone on his short-list of preferred Del Negro replacements.

Malone was the lead assistant with the Hornets when Paul led the team to an impressive series against the Los Angeles Lakers in 2011, despite a season-ending injury to David West.  Malone was also a key part of the Cleveland Cavaliers’ staff including the year they made their run to the NBA Finals in 2007.

Although Malone has yet to run a team as head coach, he’s among one of the most respected assistants in the league and will inevitably be linked to every team interviewing for a head coach (Charlotte, Orlando, etc.).

Where exactly the Clippers are in the process is unclear.

Del Negro finished a successful run with the team this last year, leading the team to the second-round after winning a difficult Game 7 on the road in Memphis.

He was brought in to advance the Clippers from mediocrity to the playoffs but with the acquisition of Paul, LA is now thinking Western Conference Finals, Finals and even championships.

Is Vinny the coach to help the team make the next step?

The Clippers’ decisions will probably come within the next few weeks.

Can't be good for Vinny that CP3 is considering other coaches already.

Back
Top Bottom