sick.gif

[table][tr][td]
Jones' starting days may be numbered

Struggling outfielder could be challenged once Pierre returns

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com
[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]
iF5YJin9.jpg

Andruw Jones was batting .166 with two home runs and 10 RBIs through Monday. (Jonathan Daniel/Getty)
[/td] [/tr][/table]
DENVER -- As Tuesday night's lineup indicated, Dodgers manager Joe Torre isn't ready to pull the plug on center fielder Andruw Jones.
But Juan Pierre is so far ahead of schedule recovering from his injured left knee that he's beginning a Minor League rehab assignment on Wednesday and could rejoin the club by the weekend. And with Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier producing at the top of the order, Jones could be the odd man out in the outfield.

When Jones struggled in April and May, Torre was patient, saying that the Dodgers needed Jones to get straightened out if they were going to win this year. After Jones returned early from knee surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago, Torre was patient, allowing Jones time to rehab on the job.

But with the All-Star break in the rear-view mirror, the Trade Deadline approaching and the Dodgers vying for the division lead, Torre knows there's little time to waste.

"We have to look at the best options every day to win," he said.

Nonetheless, Torre wants to give his new hitting instructors a chance before reaching a conclusion on Jones.

"It's still early for me," Torre said. "Both Donnie [Mattingly] and Jeff Pentland are working on specific things. It's one thing to practice and another to play the game and put that into practice. I don't think they've had enough time for that yet."

Mattingly is only in his fifth day as the Dodgers' full-time hitting coach. Pentland, a roving hitting instructor, worked with Jones during one series at Triple-A Las Vegas and over the five days since the All-Star break. Both men have broken down and reconstructed Jones' stance and swing, emphasizing balance and staying back.

The early results: 2-for-10 with one walk, five strikeouts and one RBI. The underwhelming numbers are skewed by the fact that Jones missed 1 1/2 games with food poisoning.

Scouts watching the Dodgers are not only critical of Jones' bat, but also surprised by his lack of foot speed running to first base and his defensive decline in center field.

"They're taking extra bases on him," one scout said. "I've never seen that before."

Torre said that Kemp (.287) and Ethier (.281) "have made great strides" since April, when they and Pierre rotated days off as Jones started almost without exception. Kemp is two RBIs short of the club lead and Ethier leads the Dodgers with 11 homers. Jones has only 11 RBIs in 175 at-bats, along with 64 strikeouts. His .246 slugging percentage through Monday is barely half his career number (.490).

"You reserve the right to change your mind," Torre said. "You can't allow yourself to be stubborn to the point of being crazy."

But he added that he didn't know if Jones would become a part-time player.

"There's still a period of time to watch," Torre said. "I can't give you how many days. He's still a work in progress right now. I've talked a lot with Donnie on this and how he sees Andruw."

Pierre opened the season as the fourth outfielder, but when Rafael Furcal went down with a back injury in early May, Pierre became the everyday leadoff hitter. Pierre then remained in the lineup until he was injured on June 29.

Ken Gurnick is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

dodgers have lost MILLIONS of dollars to injury and bad players the last 5 years....

we are in such a hole with that..
parking will be 20 bucks next year i bet..

Originally Posted by eyegiantjackpot

dodgers have lost MILLIONS of dollars to injury and bad players the last 5 years....

we are in such a hole with that..
parking will be 20 bucks next year i bet..

Isn't it already that this year?

Anyway, let's get it tomorrow..
wink.gif

Originally Posted by EBAY 23

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Dodgers will put up a big fat 0 tomorrow, just watch
laugh.gif
(Hoping I'm wrong ofcourse)
You were almost correct on that call
laugh.gif

Almost, but in the 8th inning when it was 9-0, I was thinking about it, and started ..
laugh.gif

I guess no one let Kershaw know that the air is thin in Colorado, balls will jump off the bats.

Pierre is due back sooner than expected, I rather have him out there than FatDruw.

No, parking is $15.

A couple notes:

Kershaw should be coming out the bullpen, just like Bills - let him take Falkenbord or Tronsco's spot. He's being rushed and once his curve ball aintworking, he's pretty much done. I'd hope he develop a hard slider as well.

Andruw Jones needs to be benched when Juan Pierre comes back, or just cut our losses with him - cutting him might be extreme, but numbers don't lie -he's giving us nothing but strikeouts.

We are a good team though, once again missing a piece or two to really help us win the division.

We gotta win today.

^^ What about cutting Schmidt?

He's been set back so many time this season, we don't even know how affective his arm will be when he comes of the DL.

I don't feel confident in Colletti getting someone the team needs, he will probably pick up another utility infielder, and a washed up pitcher, cuzthat's how he rolls.

^^ What about cutting Schmidt?

We should take the L's on these Colleti signings, it's stupid to keep wishing for the best for these dudes.
sick.gif

laugh.gif
So I'm on break at the hospital, about to eat some honey nutcheerios and I get my milk as I pour it - I notice something / someone very familiar on the side of it. Then I break out with a laugh, cause it's so ironiche'd be on the side of a milk carton cause dude has been missing everything all season
laugh.gif
sick.gif
alien.gif

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/maddux-prefers.html[/h1]
[h1]Maddux Prefers Dodgers[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [July 23 at 2:43pm CST]

MLB.com's Corey Brock has the latest on the Padres and Greg Maddux.

Maddux apparently will only accept a trade to a West Coast team, preferably the Dodgers. Padres GM Kevin Towers doesn't mind trading within the division. The only piece missing is interest from L.A. They've got good pitching depth, but if Maddux could be added at a reasonable price, why not? The Professor has a 4.18 ERA this year.

Don't expect to see younger Padres like Kevin Kouzmanoff, Khalil Greene, or Josh Bard on the move. Towers said a trade of any of those three is "very doubtful."

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/yankees-scoutin.html[/h1]
[h1]Yankees Scouting Dodgers[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [July 22 at 11:20pm CST]

Here's one I missed from this morning. According to George King of the New York Post:

Yankee scout Rick Williams is following the Dodgers, who will entertain offers for right-hander Derek Lowe if he will bring L.A. a much-needed bat.

Hard to think of a good match there. Plus, why would the Dodgers trade Lowe when they're a half-game out? Even if Lowe walks after the season he's good for two draft picks.

Here's a new name of interest for the Dodgers: Marlins minor league third baseman Dallas McPherson. He'll be 28 soon, and carries a .287/.400/.650 line with 32 home runs in 314 Triple A at-bats. This could be the second time McPherson blasts 40 home runs in a minor league season

Yo i would love Maddux on the Dodgers again.... I wish they would've signed him when he wanted the 2year deal
tired.gif

Yo i would love Maddux on the Dodgers again.... I wish they would've signed him when he wanted the 2year deal
tired.gif
No, it made too much sense for Colletti to do that, so instead he signed Jason Scmidt.
laugh.gif

3 Years, 47 million
sick.gif

Greg Maddux only wanted chump change compared to that.

With that said, I would welcome a Maddux trade back to LA
pimp.gif

Andruw YOU FREAKING BUM!!!!

laugh.gif
this dude striking out to a ball in the DIRT!
roll.gif

Hey bright nikes, what brand of milk is that?
laugh.gif

That's too funny.
laugh.gif
dude, when I back to my unit I was still laughing. Ifi'm not mistaking it was Alta Dena 2% Fat

FrenchBlue23 wrote:

tired.gif
No, it made too much sense for Colletti to do that, so instead he signed Jason Scmidt.
laugh.gif

3 Years, 47 million
sick.gif

Greg Maddux only wanted chump change compared to that.

With that said, I would welcome a Maddux trade back to LA
pimp.gif

Word bro i was like "w t f are they thinking give Maddux the contract duke can still pitch"
I even think he won his freaken 100th Gold Glove that year.....
laugh.gif

tired.gif

I loved having Maddux on the team. Never understood why they let him walk. At his age, he's at least good for a close to .500 record. Pretty much likeLowe.
Andruw Jones story real quick. My dad and I will call each other occasional (maybe once every 2 weeks or so) when Dodger games are on when a good play happensand the other night when the Dodgers are winning like 16-4 and Jones strikes out, my phone rings.
"Jones is a bum". that's all he said. didn't say hello, nothing. I laughed and said "He sure is". And he just said"bye".
And best beleive I will have my 5 year old booing him if he's in the starting lineup when we are at the Ravine on friday night.

-J-

Originally Posted by JBug88

I loved having Maddux on the team. Never understood why they let him walk. At his age, he's at least good for a close to .500 record. Pretty much like Lowe.

Me neither, especially with Dodger Stadium being a pitchers ballpark.

I was upset when they didn't re-sign him.

Not a good look losing 2 straight to Colorado, and only scoring 4 runs total in both losses.
tired.gif

Yeah, put those two forgettable games away, because we got a nice 10 game home stand coming up against the Nats, Giants, and D-backs. Dodgers better, and Imean better do some work here. D-backs lost tonight, so we're still a game back of them.

Dodgers need to put in work, we have yet to see them "turn the corner" ... we see glimpses of what they can do, but its only glimpses.

I wonder how the management views this ball club, do they point fingers? When are they going to man up and bench andruw play Young - kid has potential, but Iguess if you pay $18 million dollars for a bum you might as well cross your fingers everytime he comes to the plate.

With Schmidt, I mean really now? What is the point of him still being able to wear Dodger blue, its a disgrace.

Look at our blasted payroll, hell is blasted even the word? The payroll is enormous and yet we are barely keeping our heads above water in the NL west!

I hate to bring this up but, how are those damn Angelitas of Los Angeles of Anaheim of Orange County on the 57 frwy so good? I guess its due to how their ownercares about the product they put out on the field. They are currently 10 games ahead in the AL west, amazing.

The more and more they keep winning, the more and more you see stupid angel fans rocking their gay $!% red angel cap, or sporting that gay $!% "A"decal on their car. I couldn't believe when I was in La Puente, how many Angel billboards were put up on Valley, its crazy. For the people who know LaPuente ... their isn't 1 angel fan there .....

Hell, I hate venting like this, but comon Dodgers!!!@#$%^&*())#$!!! Mediocrity year after year .... its time to run off with this division and bring achampionship back to L.A!

I guess its due to how their owner cares about the product they put out on the field.
call me crazy, but I do think McCourt cares about what product they put on the field. I think the Dodgers mostly non-success as of the last 10years or so has been questionable free agent signings and the inability of the farm system to produce anyone. cough DePodesta cough. And don't get mestarted on the "Fox" Dodgers. The Piazza trade was the begining of the end so to speak. Very dark day in Dodger history.
I honestly don't think Colletti has done a bad job, sans the Andruw Jones signing. Well let me rephrase that. Colletti has done a better job, I think,than the last couple GM's.
The farm system isn't cranking out ROY's anymore.
blah, blah, blah. I could go on and on.
Two things that always amazed me.
The Los Angeles Dodgers had 2, yes 2, managers for over 40 years. Alston and Lasorda.
And they had one family owning them for almost 50 years.
I miss the days of Fred Claire and the O'Malley family.
I can see McCourt sticking around for the long haul. maybe I'm drinking the Kool-Aid.

anyways, anybody going to the game Friday night? I'll be there with my son and my dad and grandma.

-J-

I guess I'm irritated because of his choices. His choices leads to us fans paying ridiculous amounts of money for seats at the park, parking, food,beverages, etc - I can go on and on.

Next year, imagine paying $20 for parking
eek.gif
. I don't even want to think about it.

But, I can't knock his hustle, its a business - and his goal is to get money back 10x than he put in.

[table][tr][td]
Jones showing slight progress

Los Angeles (49-52) vs. Washington (38-62), Fri., 7:40 p.m. PT

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com
[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr][/table]
DENVER -- In the Dodgers' 5-3 loss to the Rockies on Wednesday, Andruw Jones flied out with a runner on base in the sixth inning, struck out with the tying runs on base in the eighth inning and was thrown out trying to go from first to third on an Andy LaRoche single.
And this was one of his better games since returning from knee surgery, and certainly his best since the Dodgers came out of the All-Star break with a coaching staff remodeled largely to work on him.

Jones' first two at-bats Wednesday were quality ones. He walked with one out and a runner on first in the second inning, and in the fourth, he smoked a double to right-center field to score James Loney, who had singled.

For all of the time and effort already invested by new hitting coach Don Mattingly and new assistant Jeff Pentland, manager Joe Torre was cautiously optimistic that there will be more good things to come.

"The way he drove that ball to right-center and the way it got out there very quickly, that's what he's capable of," Torre said of Jones. "He's been working, but it won't happen overnight. They're working to make him the kind of hitter he is."

Or was. Scouts who haven't seen him regularly are dumbfounded that this Jones, now hitting .166 with 13 RBIs, is the same one who had 41 homers and 129 RBIs only two seasons ago.

Torre pretty much gave Jones a pass on the eighth-inning at-bat, which could have prevented the loss.

"He was looking for something; he had a plan and swung at a bad ball with two strikes," Torre said of Jones, who is 4-for-51 with runners in scoring position and has only four RBIs on hits.

Jones came back early from knee surgery because of the injury to Juan Pierre.

"It could have been different if I had more at-bats at Triple-A, but I think the team needed another bat," Jones said. "I can still work on stuff up here."

But Torre said that Jones is able to implement changes suggested by Mattingly and Pentland during batting practice, but can't take the changes into the game, instead falling back into his bad habits.

Jones blames most of his recent problems on opposing pitchers.

"The curveballs they throw me are basically unhittable," he said. "The best I can do is foul off. I'm working to stay inside the ball and maintain my balance."

Jones said he knows that Pierre could return as early as Friday, creating a surplus of outfielders that could send him to the bench.

"That's up to Joe," he said. "It's a decision he'll be making."

Oh no, he cannot be serious?
laugh.gif
alien.gif
sick.gif

^^ It's not like he hasn't seen these pitchers before, he's been in the National League for years.

When is he going to admit that he's fat and slow, and that's the reason why he isn't hitting.

Back
Top Bottom