Official Los Angeles Dodgers Season Thread: NLCS vs Phillies

Thank u LA
pimp.gif

Good luck the rest of the way, I hope u make it cuz the D backs are trash
eyes.gif

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/08/dodgers-win-cla.html[/h1]
[h1]Dodgers Win Claim On Ron Belliard[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [August 14 at 11:26pm CST]

According to Tony Jackson of the L.A. Daily News, the Dodgers won a waiver claim on Nationals infielder Ron Belliard. The two teams are discussing a trade.

Belliard, 33, is hitting .237/.340/.442 in 259 plate appearances. He's played first, second, and third base this year for the Nats. Belliard is owed another $395K this year plus $1.9MM in '09. With Casey Blake in the fold and Nomar Garciaparra off the DL, Belliard makes less sense for the Dodgers than he did in July. Still, he could be a cheap second baseman for '09 if Jeff Kent retires.

^Why Ned, why?
laugh.gif

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3522704&name=gammons_peter
Greg Maddux - Maddux is earning $10MM this year and will only accept a trade to a West Coast team. The Dodgers wanted him but asked the Padres to pay more than 80% of his remaining salary according to Peter Gammons.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/08/furcal-prefers.html[/h1]
[h1]Furcal Prefers To Re-Sign With Dodgers[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [August 7, 2008 at 10:45am CST]

Rafael Furcal's agent, Paul Kinzer, says the Dodgers are his client's first choice and he hopes to re-sign before the free agent signing period begins.

Furcal was off to an incredible start this year until a back injury sidelined him in May. Before the injury, I was predicting $75MM over five years. Now we're probably looking at $12MM per year for two or three years, maybe with incentives involved. It only takes one maverick team to defy expectations, though. Magglio Ordonez got five guaranteed years following experimental knee surgery, though the Tigers received an opt-out clause in case that injury re-occurred.

If Furcal re-signs, the free agent shortstop market will be bleak. Orlando Cabrera will be the top guy.

[table][tr][td]
Penny, Wade on DL with shoulder woes

Stults, Sturtze brought up to assist beleaguered bullpen

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com
[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]
gxxMNMVc.jpg

Due to a relapse of the shoulder tendinitis and bursitis that sidelined him earlier this year, Brad Penny lasted just three innings Wednesday. (Mark J. Terrill/AP)
[/td] [/tr][/table]
LOS ANGELES -- It was no surprise after Wednesday night's game, but the Dodgers' pitching staff took a double hit on Thursday when starter Brad Penny and reliever Cory Wade were placed on the 15-day disabled list.
To replace them and shore up the weary bullpen, the club recalled left-hander Eric Stults and purchased the contract of right-hander Tanyon Sturtze.

Penny, who lasted only three innings in his second start after seven weeks on the disabled list with shoulder tendinitis and bursitis, went back on the shelf with a relapse. He was the Opening Day starter this year after going 16-4 last year with a 3.03 ERA. This season, he is 6-9 with a 6.05 ERA.

"It's the same thing," said Penny. "I can't even describe it. I can't tell the doctor exactly where it is, but I feel it."

Penny received a cortisone injection Thursday after telling manager Joe Torre that, despite hitting 96 mph with his fastball, there was still discomfort. Torre said Penny would be shut down for five days before resuming throwing and there was no targeted return date.

"He didn't say anything about pain, but it's freedom he doesn't have," said Torre. "He really hasn't been that [ace] guy; it's been one thing or another. He's still a young man, but he hasn't been able to go to the post with all the equipment."

Penny's next day to pitch would be Monday, a scheduled off-day, and Torre said it was possible the spot would be skipped entirely and he would go with a four-man rotation for the next cycle. However, he also said he'd like to give those four starters an extra day of rest this late in the season and suggested that Stults might get that start Tuesday night.

"Right now," said Torre, "our first concern is the bullpen."

Another rumored option as a replacement for Penny is to trade for Greg Maddux from the Padres. The Dodgers acquired him before the Trade Deadline in 2006 and made a run at him before the Trade Deadline last month.

An already beleaguered bullpen responded to Penny's three-inning start with six scoreless innings Wednesday night, but four relievers were used. Initially, both Sturtze and Stults will report to the bullpen.

Wade, an unsung rookie workhorse, also has a sore shoulder and had pitched only once since Aug. 5, allowing a home run to San Francisco's Bengie Molina on Aug. 8.

"It's an impingement. No structural damage," said Wade. "I just need rest. I had this in 2006. It's just fatigue. I'm eligible to come off the 24th and I'll be more than ready to go."

He is 2-1 with a 2.56 ERA in 52 2/3 innings over 40 appearances, having been promoted from Double-A on April 24.

"It's most important for him to get well," said Torre. "His shoulder is just nagging him a bit. We decided to take the safe route."

Stults went 2-2 with a 3.18 ERA in six starts with the Dodgers from June 19-July 21, including a four-hit shutout against the White Sox on June 25. The 28-year-old went 2-0 with a 4.70 ERA (12 ER/23.0 IP) in four starts with Las Vegas after being optioned on July 22, and is 7-6 with a 3.83 ERA in 18 starts with Vegas overall. Stults is 4-6 with a 4.78 ERA in 24 career Major League games (13 starts) over parts of the last three seasons.

Sturtze returns to the Majors for the first time since having rotator cuff surgery in May 2006. He went 1-1 with five saves and a 4.13 ERA in 21 games with Las Vegas after beginning the year with Double-A Jacksonville.

With Jacksonville, Sturtze went 1-1 with a 4.70 ERA in 18 appearances. Sturtze is a veteran of 11 Major League seasons and 269 big league games (84 starts), going 40-44 with three saves and a 5.21 ERA. He pitched in Triple-A for the Dodgers in 2004 before being dealt to the Yankees for Brian Myrow.

In other injury news, outfielders Delwyn Young and Andruw Jones begin Minor League injury rehabilitation assignments for Triple-A Las Vegas Saturday at Fresno. Young has been disabled with a strained oblique muscle since July 24 and Jones with patellar tendinitis since Aug. 10.

Catcher Gary Bennett remains sidelined since May 19 with plantar fasciitis.

A sweep of the Phil's, damn, still looking at those two blown games in 'Frisco,
smh.gif
. Two hot teams will face off this weekend, 2 out of 3 from theBrewers would be great.

It was easy to call Brad Penny heading back to the DL. He didn't look good on Friday against the Giants, but it was the Giants so they didn't do muchdamage. The Phillies were not the Giants, and although his velocity was up, his control was nowhere to be found. He hung a lot of balls over the plate andthe Phillies just crushed them. He was not ready to come back. Cory Wade experiencing arm fatigue is a bigger hit, since Wade has been a pleasant surprisethis season. Hopefully some R&R will have him ready for September. I don't mind Stults coming back, he has been a solid spot starter, and Sturtze isan experienced vet. Penny and Wade will be back when rosters expand on 9/1.

I will take Ron Belliard over Angel Berroa, hopefully Ned can work out a deal where we send a couple of bags of peanuts and a frozen crate of Dodger Dogs inorder for the Nats to pay a portion of his '09 salary. Belliard carries a better stick and is better defensively as well. He wil be a solid utilityplayer.

Furcal is hurting to come back as a Dodger, a 2-3 year incentive heavy deal would work. I don't mind having Raffy back at all.

Does anyone know if the Getty Museum is on the way to Dodger stadium
Naw the getty center is by the 405 by UCLA. Its going to be tough in traffic getting to the game depending at what time you leave the museum.

I'll be at the game today, Left field pavillion.

I'm glad we're not facing CC. Dodgers better watch out....I can picture prince fielder hitting 1 out the stadium

Originally Posted by amarusgear

Does anyone know if the Getty Museum is on the way to Dodger stadium
Naw the getty center is by the 405 by UCLA. Its going to be tough in traffic getting to the game depending at what time you leave the museum.

I'll be at the game today, Left field pavillion.

Thanks for the info!

NEXT GAME 8/15

TV: PRIME-HD | RADIO: KABC 790, KHJ 930

matchup.png

matchup.png

@
Dodger Stadium
7:40PM PDT

Parra (9-5)

Billingsley (11-9)

Tickets

Probable Pitchers | Full Schedule

anyone going tonight? My seats are Infield Reserve (thanks again to JBug for the discount code)

Originally Posted by jpap348

anyone going tonight? My seats are Infield Reserve (thanks again to JBug for the discount code)

I was gonna go, but I had something come up at work. I'll be there tomorrow night.

If anyone's watching the pregame show with Danny Ardoin, there was some good health information in that piece:

If you have had a family member thats had colon cancer or prostate cancer, please get that checked out - the biggest cure of cancer is prevention.

Damn Kapler smashed that, Vin Scully was just talking about Bills giving 1st inning homers too.

& aint no way Prince Fielder is 260lbs ... aint no way
laugh.gif

This offense is
pimp.gif

Great job adjusting by Bills after giving a quick 2-0 lead to the brew crew.

The lineup is pretty insane with Loney hitting 8th.

If anyone was watching the post game Lyons said Jones and Young will start their rehab assignments tomorrow; and suggested for jones to get 40-50 at bats downin the minors to somehow find his swing if its possible and just get consistent playing time down there. Good suggestion - hope he does work out his swing fora good month or so.

Hey CL random Q: have you ever grubbed at diamond palace right there off db blvd? The chinese food there is
pimp.gif
especially if you catch it lunch and nightspecials.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

aint no way Prince Fielder is 260lbs ... aint no way
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
First thing I told my friend at the game tonight when I saw Prince. He looked huge but I was impressed with that diving catch he made offBillingsley's bad bunt.

Tonight was a great game, Billingsley looked great (minus the 2 run homer) and our offense took care of business

[table][tr][td]West[/td] [td]W[/td] [td]L[/td] [td]PCT[/td] [td]GB[/td] [td]E#[/td] [td]L10[/td] [td]STRK[/td] [td]vs E[/td] [td]vs C[/td] [td]vs W[/td] [td]INT[/td] [td]HOME[/td] [td]ROAD[/td] [td]vs R[/td] [td]vs L[/td] [td]XTRA[/td] [td]1-RUN[/td] [td]RS[/td] [td]RA[/td] [td]X W-L[/td] [td]LAST GAME[/td] [td]NEXT GAME[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Arizona[/td] [td]63[/td] [td]59[/td] [td].516[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]5-5[/td] [td]W2[/td] [td]14-19[/td] [td]12-15[/td] [td]31-16[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]33-26[/td] [td]30-33[/td] [td]37-42[/td] [td]26-17[/td] [td]4-4[/td] [td]16-16[/td] [td]561[/td] [td]528[/td] [td]64-58[/td] [td] 8/15 @ HOU, W 12-2[/td] [td]8/16 @ HOU, 7:05P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Los Angeles[/td] [td]63[/td] [td]59[/td] [td].516[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]7-3[/td] [td]W5[/td] [td]16-11[/td] [td]19-16[/td] [td]23-22[/td] [td]5-10[/td] [td]37-27[/td] [td]26-32[/td] [td]41-44[/td] [td]22-15[/td] [td]5-7[/td] [td]17-17[/td] [td]517[/td] [td]483[/td] [td]65-57[/td] [td] 8/15 v MIL, W 5-3[/td] [td]8/16 v MIL, 10:10P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Colorado[/td] [td]55[/td] [td]69[/td] [td].444[/td] [td]9.0[/td] [td]31[/td] [td]4-6[/td] [td]W1[/td] [td]13-18[/td] [td]18-15[/td] [td]17-28[/td] [td]7-8[/td] [td]34-29[/td] [td]21-40[/td] [td]35-54[/td] [td]20-15[/td] [td]3-5[/td] [td]18-17[/td] [td]571[/td] [td]646[/td] [td]55-69[/td] [td] 8/15 @ WSH, W 4-3[/td] [td]8/16 @ WSH, 7:10P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]San Francisco[/td] [td]51[/td] [td]70[/td] [td].421[/td] [td]11.5[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]4-6[/td] [td]W1[/td] [td]15-11[/td] [td]9-25[/td] [td]21-22[/td] [td]6-12[/td] [td]24-36[/td] [td]27-34[/td] [td]38-47[/td] [td]13-23[/td] [td]7-4[/td] [td]23-16[/td] [td]462[/td] [td]567[/td] [td]49-72[/td] [td] 8/15 @ ATL, W 5-1[/td] [td]8/16 @ ATL, 7:00P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]San Diego[/td] [td]47[/td] [td]75[/td] [td].385[/td] [td]16.0[/td] [td]25[/td] [td]4-6[/td] [td]L1[/td] [td]11-15[/td] [td]13-21[/td] [td]20-24[/td] [td]3-15[/td] [td]26-37[/td] [td]21-38[/td] [td]33-46[/td] [td]14-29[/td] [td]5-6[/td] [td]13-22[/td] [td]465[/td] [td]574[/td] [td]49-73[/td] [td] 8/15 v PHI, L 0-1[/td] [td]8/16 v PHI, 10:05P[/td] [/tr][/table]

NEXT GAME 8/16

TV: KCAL | RADIO: KABC 790, KHJ 930

matchup.png

matchup.png

@
Dodger Stadium
7:10PM PDT

Bush (7-9)

Lowe (9-10)

Tickets

Probable Pitchers | Full Schedule

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers have decided not to immediately replace injured pitcher Brad Penny in the starting rotation, at least for the next cycle through.
Penny's day to pitch would be Monday, a scheduled day off, so manager Joe Torre said he will keep the remaining four starters on their five-day cycle, with Hiroki Kuroda pitching Tuesday against Colorado, followed by Chad Billingsley, Derek Lowe and Clayton Kershaw.

Torre said Kuroda made his decision easier by using only 79 pitches while allowing one run on two hits in seven innings Thursday night against Philadelphia.

The Dodgers will need a fifth starter by Friday night, when they open a four-game series in Philadelphia. Torre's options from the current staff will include recently promoted left-hander Eric Stults and journeyman Jason Johnson. At Triple-A Las Vegas, James McDonald has made two solid starts since being promoted from Double-A.

The most intriguing possibility is the persistent rumored acquisition of 42-year-old Greg Maddux from San Diego.

LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers reached Friday's deadline for signing drafted players with 14 of their top 15 picks under contract.

The highest unsigned pick the Dodgers have is left-handed pitcher Christopher Joyce from Dos Pueblos High School in Goleta, their 10th-round pick, who will stick close to home and attend UC Santa Barbara.

First-round pick Ethan Martin signed on July 10 to a $1.73 million slotted bonus. But while preparing to report for his first assignment, he suffered a minor cartilage tear and underwent arthroscopic knee surgery that sidelined him the final month of the season.

The most advanced draftee appears to be second-round pick Josh Lindblom, a 6-5, 240-pound right-handed pitcher from Purdue. A closer in college, he has been starting at Class A Great Lakes and been overpowering, with 18 strikeouts and two walks in 19 innings.

The best position prospect out of this Draft might be Devaris Gordon, an infielder out of Seminole Community College and son of Major League reliever Tom Gordon. He's hitting .308 at Rookie-level Ogden and is considered the fastest runner in the organization.

Can the Padres and Dodgers work out a 50/50 even deal for Greg Maddux, I know his salary is a big issue.

laugh.gif
@ SD paying Maddux 10 Mil per. Maddux wanted to stay with theDodgers, I don't believe he was asking for much.
But Colletti went ahead and gave Jason Schmidt and his worn out arm, a hefty contract.

What are the chances that Andruw Jones will find his swing again?
grin.gif

^Damn, serious?! No disrespect to Maddux, but 10 Mil. for his age right now is way too much.

Originally Posted by CL2423

^Damn, serious?! No disrespect to Maddux, but 10 Mil. for his age right now is way too much.

Yup, he's earning a cool 10 million just for this year.
Dodgers wanted SD to pay for 80% of his salary, which is why they couldn't work out a trade.

Back
Top Bottom