Official Los Angeles Dodgers Season Thread: NLCS vs Phillies

Originally Posted by JBug88

anyways, anybody going to the game Friday night? I'll be there with my son and my dad and grandma.

-J-

Just found out today that I'm going
tongue.gif

Where are you sitting? I'll be in Field Level Section 37
pimp.gif

The Dodgers are diving into the middle of a lot of trade talks, but skepticism remains steep about whether they'll actually pull anything off. "They're a mess,'' one NL executive says, flatly.

Several baseball people say there was a deal for the Dodgers either "in place'' for CC Sabathia -- or close to it -- when they suddenly pulled the plug, apparently at the behest of over-involved owner Frank McCourt. Big mistake, as Sabathia, 4-0 already with three consecutive complete games, appears bent on leading the Brew Crew into the playoffs for the first time in 26 years.

Word is the Dodgers, who could still steal the sad-sack NL West (at 49-52, they trail first-place Arizona by one game), are handicapped by some infighting within the front office. Logan White, who drafted much of the young Dodgers talent, is said by some to have unusual say-so for a recently-promoted assistant GM. Meanwhile, McCourt is telling confidants that he is displeased by the team's attendance and revenues, calling into question whether he'd even OK player expenditures.

Lately the Dodgers have been talking to several teams about a shortstop. The loss of Rafael Furcal has been "a killer'' for them, in the words of one AL executive, and they are seeking a veteran replacement along the lines of Jack Wilson, Orlando Cabrera or Edgar Renteria.

L.A. has been talking about bringing Cabrera back to that area, as first mentioned on Foxsports.com, and there would appear to be plenty of chance there for a deal since the White Sox are a rare team that's deep at shortstop -- if the Dodgers are capable of pulling a deal off, that is.

Cuban import Alexei Ramirez, who's showing some confused footwork at second base, is thought ready to man shortstop, giving the Sox unusual flexibility at a difficult position. It is believed the White Sox are targeting one or more of the talented Dodgers kids.

But the Dodgers, who at one time also showed interest in Sox third baseman Joe Crede, have been taking a hands-off approach on most of their prospects -- if not all of them. One executive who recently spoke to the Dodgers got the impression that not only are top young players like James Loney and Matt Kemp untouchable, but so are somewhat lesser talents such as Blake Dewitt and even Andy LaRoche, whose stock has been falling for many months in the eyes of some.

Word also has gotten around that the Dodgers have taken calls on free-agent-to-be Derek Lowe. However, a trade involving a standout pitcher like Lowe would likely leave them with a major rotation hole.

The reported talk of a trade that would bring Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano for Lowe and top young outfielder Kemp was shot down by those in the know. While some Dodgers people think Kemp still has some maturing to do, until further notice, I remain doubtful the Dodgers could execute a small deal, much less something that big.

smh.gif
. I think Colletti is going to get the axe this off season, although I don't think the Dodger woes are entirely his fault.

The trust is lost, and it showed in the CC Sabathia deal. I think we have a chance to get CC in the offseason, a very good one from what I hear, but McCourtnixing the deal is not a very good sign. I think they blew it by not trading DeWitt or LaRoche when their value was high, and I think that has to do a lotwith Logan White. White has an eye for talent, I give him that, although the fact that he falls in love with his draftee's makes you think if he wouldmake a good GM. He has influence in the front office and that is one of the biggest reasons a deal hasn't been made. Although some of the deals areludicrous.

I don't know what folks in the East Coast are smoking, Lowe and Kemp for Cano. I wouldn't do that deal. Don't get me wrong, Cano is a solidsecond baseman but Matt Kemp is on his way to becoming a solid 5 tool player. He is young and he strikes out a lot, but once he gets some patience at theplate, watch out. John Heyman (SI.com) is a big East Coast homer, and makes it seem in this article that the Dodgers should have pulled the trigger on thisdeal,
smh.gif
. Kemp has better numbers and he is a demon on the bags. Kemp and Loney are untouchable.

I know Dodger fans love DeWitt since he played over his head in April and May, but now he has fallen. I wouldn't mind Cabrera at SS, but at a reasonableprice since he is going to be a FA this Winter. Renteria has lost a step and the price for Jack Wilson will be too steep. I would rather get David Ecksteinat a low price.

We will see what happens, I know the phone lines are burning at the Ravine. I just hope they don't do anything stupid.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Originally Posted by JBug88

anyways, anybody going to the game Friday night? I'll be there with my son and my dad and grandma.

-J-

Just found out today that I'm going
tongue.gif

Where are you sitting? I'll be in Field Level Section 37
pimp.gif

I'm in either Field Level 18 or 20. Company seats.
245034898.jpg

opening day last year.
I don't get the seats as much as I'd like though. Supposed to be so we can take "customers".

-J-

*Kemp, Loney & Martin are untouchable.

Anyways, NOMAHHHHHH coming through!!!

I'm glad Juan Pierre is back, now Andruw needs to be bench to give Ethier some games.

The ravine looks PACK, is it a promotion night? Seems really electric there! Hope Jbug & Frenchblue are heckling all the JRAIN NAT'L fanboys.

laugh.gif
@ the boo's andruw's getting.

Since it's impossible to get an update ...

[table][tr][td]Arizona[/td] [td]50[/td] [td]51[/td] [td].495[/td] [td]-[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Los Angeles[/td] [td]49[/td] [td]52[/td] [td].485[/td] [td]1.0[/td] [/tr][/table]
Fri: Bills on the mound 740p
Sat: 710p
Sun: 110p

Dodgers: 3
Nats: 2

Dbacks bout to handle the giants

*Bills 106 pitches, bout to get the hook. it's about time, great effort Bills! Hopefully, Brox can hold the W for him!

sick.gif
this west coast road trip has been harsh. swept by the unbeatableGiants and you guys will probably sweep the Nats too. "Bills" cruised and then "Brox" made em look foolish.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

*Kemp, Loney & Martin are untouchable.

Anyways, NOMAHHHHHH coming through!!!

I'm glad Juan Pierre is back, now Andruw needs to be bench to give Ethier some games.

The ravine looks PACK, is it a promotion night? Seems really electric there! Hope Jbug & Frenchblue are heckling all the JRAIN NAT'L fanboys.

laugh.gif
@ the boo's andruw's getting.

You know what, they were not as "optimistic" as JRAIN when it comes to how good the Nats are
laugh.gif

I was sitting next to a Nats fan, and he was just taking in the game, nothing major.

It was Brad Penny Bobblehead night, so it was pretty packed. I love to see the Stadium packed and rocking, it's a great atmosphere.

I got a baseball signed by Andruw Jones, so I didn't boo him tonight.
tongue.gif

This was the view from my seats, I love sitting here............ (not my picture) .

117918053_o.jpg

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/dodgers-close-t.html[/h1]
[h2]Official: Dodgers GET Casey Blake[/h2]
Posted by admin on 26 Jul 2008 | Tagged as: Uncategorized

indians-blake.jpg

Per Tony Jackson
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Dodgers announced today they have acquired third baseman Casey Blake and cash considerations from the Cleveland Indians in exchange for minor league catcher Carlos Santana and minor league right-hander Jonathan Meloan. The announcement was made by Dodger General Manager Ned Colletti.

"Casey Blake is a gamer," said Colletti. "His experience and character will be a plus as we head down the stretch in the final two months of the regular season."

Blake leads the Indians with a .289 batting average and 58 runs batted in this season. He has hit 11 home runs and has posted a .365 on-base percentage and .465 slugging percentage. Blake's .393 batting average with runners in scoring position ranks fifth in the Major Leagues in 2008.

The Des Moines, Iowa native set career highs for Cleveland in home runs (28), RBI (88), hits (159) and runs scored (93) in 2004. Last season, Blake slugged 18 homers and drove in 78 runs while helping the Indians reach the postseason. In the American League Championship Series, he batted .346 (9-for-26) with one home run and two runs batted in.

He has appeared in 859 career games spanning 10 seasons with the Blue Jays, Twins, Orioles, and Indians. The versatile veteran has played the majority of his career at third base, but also has logged significant playing time at first base and right field.

Blake attended Wichita State University, where he was drafted by the Blue Jays in the seventh round of the 1996 First-Year Player Draft. In his biography in the 2008 Indians Media Guide, Blake lists his favorite baseball moment at Kirk Gibson's game-winning home run for the Dodgers in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series.

Meloan, 24, is 5-10 with a 4.97 ERA in 21 games (20 starts) for Triple-A Las Vegas. He has struck out 99 batters in 105.0 innings for the 51s. The right-hander reached the Major Leagues in 2007 for the first time, appearing in five games for the Dodgers and posting an 11.05 ERA in limited action. He is in his fourth professional season after being selected in the fifth round of the 2005 First-Year Player Draft.

Santana, 22, is batting .323 with 14 homers and 96 RBI in 99 games for Single-A Inland Empire. The Dominican Republic native is in his fourth professional season after being signed as a free agent on Aug. 13, 2004.

Another mediocre veteran signed by Ned. I had high hopes for Santana too. I watched him play a few days ago in single A, the kid looked promising. Say hello to Casey, our 2 month rental. Yes, it's an upgrade over Laroche at 3rd, so this will make us a bit better, I'm just a bit down about losing Santana.

Seems like LaRoche might be the odd man out.
[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/torre-talks-dod.html[/h1]
[h1]Torre Talks Dodgers' Needs[/h1]
By Alejandro Leal [July 26 at 9:24am CST]

Before Friday night's game, Torre discussed the team's options and how they'll address them if indeed they'll make a move before this year's trade deadline.

He mentioned the need to be active on the trade front, but noted that after the injuries to Nomar Garciaparra and Rafael Furcal, other teams are asking too high a price. He did confirm, however, that Dodgers' GM Ned Colletti is looking to make a move while reiterating that the team won't "mortgage the future" in exchange for a rental:
Where we're at, are we interested in a player that can help us now? Yes. Will we mortgage the future? No. We're willing to give up something. I don't think you want to sacrifice the future for somebody who's going to be here just this year. If you borrow or rent for half a season and give up more, next year you're filling holes again."

MLBlogs writer Ken Gurnick followed up with Dodgers' sources on the rumor that they're on the verge of trading Andy LaRoche (possibly +1) for A's reliever Huston Street, to which they scoffed.

For the record, Street signed a one year deal with the A's in January to avoid arbitration.

Alejandro A. Leal writes for UmpBump.com. Comments? Rumors? alexo05 [at] umpbump [daught] com.

^^
I had heard the same about Meloan. oh well.
Billingsley pitched a hell of a game last night.
place was packed.
Me and my son and my dad actually got on the telecast for about 4-5 seconds when they did the 7th inning stretch.
a few pics
327355840.jpg

327356555.jpg

I think Casey Blake will help out. Rotate DeWitt, LaRoche and Blake and Laroche can play 2nd also.
-J-

I think Blake is an upgrade over Laroche and Dewitt for the next 60 games. I mean, if we end up dealing one of those two for a reliever and Blake does notre-sign with us then we are down to one 3rd basemen.

I'm not too sure what this means for the team.. I know it adds another bat in the 5 or 6 slot for the moment.. but I'm not too sure how this will panout longterm for us. I have to wait and see what else Ned does, if anything.

As for the catcher we had to give up.. he was doing well in Single A from the looks of it. Though realistically he wouldn't see playing time in the majorsfor a while (Martin & May). As for Meloan, I wish we could've held onto him and put him in the bullpen.. get rid of that Faulkenborg dude.

Blake is a nice pick up!
pimp.gif

But since they picked him up i guess we wont be getting Beltre
ohwell.gif

Ronnie Belliard is a 1 man show.

Dodgers smashed Odalis early on; that dude still sucks.

6-0 Dodgers, done in the 5th.

Giants had an early lead vs the D'backs, but being the Giants - they gave up the lead to the d'backs.

Derek Lowe is pitching a damn GEM, but I have a feeling his next start is gonna be boo boo. Lowe could have 15+ wins if he just stayed consistent with hissinker.

Casey Blake is a gamer. Dude can hit, he'll do good in L.A and you can tell the fans are still trying to adjust to him. (DeWitt was sent back to AAA)

Nat'l defense has been nice, Belliard's D on Martin's grounder up the middle, Lasting Millege stealing Lowe's monster of a hit & JuanPierre's line drive snagged by Shnell.

Nomar & Kemp with HRs.

I think Torre needs to get Ethier back on the field, its a mistake he's on the bench.

laugh.gif
@ when andruw hit into a double play, even the little kids are booing.

Go Dodgers!

my Nationals have officially mailed it in.

but...

BELLIARD'S FADING INTO THE OUTFIELD THROW IN THE FIFTH WAS RIDICULOUS!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Always been a Casey Blake fan, so I definitely like this acquisition, but don't like the temporary fill at 3rd base.

Belliard's back handed grab and off balance throw was impressive.
pimp.gif

Game Day fellas! Let's sweep JRAIN's loverboys
laugh.gif

[table][tr][td]TEAM[/td] [td]W[/td] [td]L[/td] [td]%[/td] [td]GB[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Arizona[/td] [td]52[/td] [td]51[/td] [td].505[/td] [td]-[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Los Angeles[/td] [td]51[/td] [td]52[/td] [td].495[/td] [td]1.0[/td] [/tr][/table]
moz-screenshot.jpg

Bergmann (1-7)

Kershaw (0-3)

Bergmann vs. Kershaw

87.2… IP… 41.2
1-7… W-L… 0-3
4.21… ERA… 5.18
64… SO… 35
19… BB… 27

An interesting article from dodgerupdates.com
[h2]http://dodgerupdates.com/?p=310[/h2]
[h2]Dodger Blender: 7/27/08[/h2]
Posted by admin on 27 Jul 2008 | Tagged as: Uncategorized

I couldn't come up with a better name for these dodger rumor/news/update blog titles, so I went with "Dodger Blender". Yea, i know, sounds cheesy. If you have any better ideas, lets hear them. Ok, lets get started:

Great game last night, all around. Lowe pitched a 1 hitter over 8 innings and he's now ready for his next start which will be against Webb.

Brad Penny threw a three-inning simulated game Saturday and reported no discomfort.
"He had no physical problem," manager Joe Torre said. "He's said that before, but this time it was the truth. We wanted him to try to throw very hard and he was throwing hard. He'll throw a bullpen session Monday or Tuesday and go to Las Vegas for a rehab assignment.

Colletti said he is satisfied that the current roster is good enough to win the division, but he added that if the opportunity arose to add a relief pitcher, he would pursue it.

The Dodgers still are unsure when closer Takashi Saito will return from a sore right elbow.
Colletti said that a closer would be tough to find this time of the year but a setup man still could be had.

Many writers are calling for a Street/Crosby for Ethier/Laroche trade. These writers know nothing of which they speak of, in my opinion. A trade like that would have dodger fans hunting for Ned's head. It always amazed me how some general sportswriters just throw out young dodger names in trades for other mediocre or rental players. Remember the Jack Wilson for Matt Kemp trade speculation made by some writers. I literally laughed and fell off my seat when I caught ahold of that one. That's why its always important to remember trade speculation is just that…trade speculation. Most trades that actually happen are trades that don't get too much speculation as a matter of fact.

Ned confirmed that Lowe WILL NOT be traded now.

4 days left before the trade deadline. Looks like dodgers will stay put, they seem to have just enough to win the division now.
One last thing, reports indicate that the dodgers told the Indians (right before the Blake trade) that any trade they make with them would have to be salary-neutral. Hmmm… this could either be one of two things. 1) McCourt doesn't have more money and is not willing to raise the payroll or 2) McCourt just doesn't trust Ned with his money anymore and allowing Ned to make another big money trade that would hurt McCourt's pockets would be a bad idea, as has been proven before (see: Schmidt, Andruw, etc..). Many are saying that this is the last trade Ned has made for the Dodgers, for good.
McCourt is bout to give Ned the ax
laugh.gif

I still think we should add Maddux (he'd teach Kershaw so many things) - and a relief pitcher.

Back
Top Bottom