Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

HELL MUTHAF'N YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOUT TIME MY MAN 'KID' GOT BACK IN ACTION!!!!!!!!!

FIRST OBJECTIVE, DREAM FW GP CHAMP, THEN COMING OVER TO U.S. AND TAKING OVER THE WEC!!!!!!!!

[h1]DREAM reveals opening-round match-ups for featherweight grand prix[/h1]
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Feb 19, 2009 at 12:40 pm ET

norifumi-yamamoto-2.jpg
The field is set for DREAM's featherweight grand prix, and the Japanese-based organization recently revealed the opening-round match-ups for the upcoming tournament.

The first round of the grand prix begins March 8 at DREAM.7, which is hosted by the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

The 16-man bracket actually features just 15 fighters since Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto (17-1), who hasn't fought in more than a year due to an ACL injury, gets an automatic berth into the second round.

Additionally, a bout between Hideo Tokoro (21-15-1) vs. Daika Hata (9-5-3) will take place in April at DREAM.8 to give Hata additional time to recover from a recent injury. Therefore, the DREAM.7 event features six grand-prix matchups.

The DREAM.7 fights include:
  • Masakazu Imanari (15-6-1) vs. Atsushi Yamamoto (12-5-1)
  • Hiroyuki Takaya (9-6-1) vs. Jong Won Kim (0-0)
  • Yoshiro Maeda (23-6-2) vs. Micah Miller (10-2)
  • Chase Beebe (11-3) vs. Joe Warren (0-0)
  • Bibiano Fernandes (3-2) vs. Takafumi Otsuka (8-3-1)
  • Abel Cullum (13-2) vs. Akiyo "Wicky" Nishiura (9-3-1)
The tournament will be held at 63 kilograms (139 pounds) and concludes with a September finale.

An eight-man welterweight tournament is also scheduled to begin in April at DREAM.8.

Both events are scheduled to air live on HDNet in North America.

For the latest on DREAM.7 and other upcoming events, check out the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

pimp.gif

I won't believe this until he is actually in the ring fighting
laugh.gif

Good performance by Brown! Looked a lot bigger than Garcia and really showed that he has power, that said Urijah better get a rematch and get his title backnext
smile.gif

smh at Garcia, i was rootin for him cause hes been a beast at 145 ever since dropping from 155 but u could tell during the stare down that he was about tosuffer an adrenaline dump from having to fight for the title especially in his home state, guy was just way to amped up during the stare down, even before theref said "go ahead and touch gloves" garcia tried to touch gloves with brown like 3 or 4 times and then while he was in his corner right before thebell he was just way too amped up

once the bell rang and he went int, he was all shaky and hesitant and then threw a sloppy jab (i think) and im pretty sure brown just capitalized on it withthe overhand, it was over from there

garcia actually looked smaller compared to his last few fights at 145, probably from conditioning to go a full 5 rounds, as for faber, i think its safe to sawthat itll be a different fight this time, im sure hell be a lot safer but not hesitant and look to avoid those out-of-nowhere moves like flying knees andspinning elbows/backfists cause he knows browns smart enough to counter those

Well, on to UFC 96 this weekend. I'm more excited for Carwin/Gonzaga than Rampage/Jardine. Bout time Shane got a 'real' fight, hopefully he canlive up to the hype that others have created for him lol.

Gonzaga is no slouch, Carwin will definately have his hands full. I can easily see Gonzaga winning this fight both standing and on the ground. Carwin'sgonna have to out wrestle him on the ground and avoid Gabe's subs, I don't see him KO'ing him, but hey it's MMA, anything can happen.

Hopefully we see some quick finishes (Maynard
smh.gif
), I would love to see both the 'Barncat' and the 'Barbarian' get some TV time, neither fighterdisappoints!!
laugh.gif

MAIN CARD

Quinton Jackson vs. Keith Jardine
Matt Hamill vs. Mark Munoz
Matt Brown vs. Pete Sell
Shane Carwin vs. Gabriel Gonzaga [Toss Up]
Gray Maynard vs. Jim Miller

PRELIMINARY CARD

Ryan Madigan vs. Tamdan McCrory
Jason Day vs. Kendall Grove
Tim Boetsch vs. Jason Brilz
Mike Patt vs. Brandon Vera
Shane Nelson vs. Aaron Riley

While Leonard Garcia is a strong and exciting fighter, I never thought he was an elite-level fighter. A lot of his hype comes off that Huerta fight that theycan't stop playing on Wired or Unleashed. Outside of his win against Jens, he really hasn't beaten anybody. Remotely close to the Featherweight top10.

So, I'm not surprised Mike gave it to him like that.

Fabricio Werdum vs Kimbo Slice?
Kimbo Slice could make his return to the cage against current Chutebox fighter and former UFC heavyweight Fabricio Werdum. World of MMA caught up with Werdum who confirmed his next fight would be under the Strikeforce banner.

Slice lost his last fight last year against what everyone thought was a fluke in Seth Petruzelli as the "street fighter" fell to the mat in under thirty seconds of the first round. Seth dropped the big guy with a hard jab.

His next opponent may be a little more serious of a contender, bigger than Petruzelli, more dangerous than Ken Shamrock and has the experience both in the ring and the cage.

Fabricio Werdum recently informed World of MMA that he will be fighting under the Strikeforce banner maybe in May of this year and although he said that his opponent is still in "negotiations" Werdum did hint at a possible tilt between him and Kimbo Slice.

"Maybe fighting in May for Strikeforce, possibly Kimbo."

A matchup of Werdum vs Ferguson would be a valid opportunity for Keving "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson to show everyone and his own promotion that he really is worth his name.

Its undeniable that this fight won't stand a chance as a main event draw but the style match-up, grappler vs striker, definitely adds a little extra something for the fans in any event it takes place in.

MAIN CARD

Matt Brown vs. Pete Sell
Shane Carwin vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

PRELIMINARY CARD

Grove may be fighting for his future

UFC president says loss could mean end for Baldwin graduate

On Saturday, Grove will go up against Canada's Jason Day in Columbus, Ohio, at UFC 96. For Grove, advancing his 11-5-0 record is on the line, but his future in the UFC may be at stake as well.

In a story posted on usatoday.com Wednesday, UFC president Dana White is quoted as saying: ''If Kendall loses this fight, he could be the first-ever 'TUF' winner that's no longer in the UFC.''

Grove said Thursday: ''I found out after reading USA Today. I texted Dana to ask him what was up and he wrote back, 'Win.' "

http://www.mauinews.com/p...nt.detail/id/515717.html

ouch

havent seen this thread on the 1st page in a while. anyways here my predictions

MAIN CARD

Matt Brown vs. Pete Sell
Shane Carwin vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

PRELIMINARY CARD

also very dope that akiyama will be fighting in the UFC

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

On Saturday, Grove will go up against Canada's Jason Day in Columbus, Ohio, at UFC 96. For Grove, advancing his 11-5-0 record is on the line, but his future in the UFC may be at stake as well.

In a story posted on usatoday.com Wednesday, UFC president Dana White is quoted as saying: ''If Kendall loses this fight, he could be the first-ever 'TUF' winner that's no longer in the UFC.''

Grove said Thursday: ''I found out after reading USA Today. I texted Dana to ask him what was up and he wrote back, 'Win.' "

ouch

1st of all to the guy who posted the vid Kimbo vs Werdum is laughable, almost as much as the Shamrock Sylvia rumour
laugh.gif
but anyways, I'm glad Kendall isout, he's a bum! He said he was going to quit after getting KTFOed by Jorge rivera. He's like 6'4 fighting at 185 imo he should go the overeemroute and fill out his frame instead of getting dropped at every decent shot he takes.

Also Jardine will get dropped. He may duck and dodge a few shots in the first but eventually he'll get worn out and start to exchange like in his fightswith Vera and Liddell. Page via Tko 2Rnd

Jardine is a heartbreaker, first Forrest while he was on a rise, then Liddell after the Rampage KO. I would HATE to see Machida get a title shot, so I'mpulling for 'Page to get the W anyway he can..

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

ouch

I mean, even if Dana didn't say anything beforehand it should be given that Kendall would be out to a lost to Jason Day.

Grove said Thursday: ''I found out after reading USA Today. I texted Dana to ask him what was up and he wrote back, 'Win.'
"

If that simple one word response from Dana isn't enough motivation for Kendall
smh.gif
smh.gif

rooting for jardine so that machida can get the title shot he deserves.

carwin/gonzaga is the most intriguing matchup of the night.

mir possibly injured, out of title fight?

Just as quickly as it was announced, a UFC heavyweight title unification bout between current champion Brock Lesnar and interim titleholder Frank Mir has apparently been scrapped.

Fiveouncesofpain.com reported that Mir suffered a back injury that has kept him from training recently and caused his removal from the UFC 98 main event bout.

Multiple MMAWeekly.com sources, however, indicated that it is a knee injury that has precluded Mir from training. They also said that he recently underwent surgery to repair the knee, which will sideline him for the next four to six weeks to allow the knee to sufficiently heal.

The UFC had no comment at the time of publication. It is currently unknown if the promotion will try to find a replacement for Mir in the bout with Lesnar, or if they will move to insert a new UFC 98 headline bout.

UFC president Dana White later told Yahoo! Sports following the UFC 96 weigh-in at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, on Friday that he knew nothing of a Mir injury.

"If he were hurt and the fight was off, I'd assume I would know," White said.

I respect the opinions of some of you guys participating in this thread so I wanted to hear your thoughts on how you think the UFC 96 fights might go. Inthis economy its probably not best to be frivolously betting large sums of money on MMA (well large by my standards). I'm hesitant to pull the trigger ona couple, but hopefully some of your analysis will sway me.

Rampage (-306) v. Jardine (+276)
I'm a bit pissed at myself for holding off on this one. Rampage was coming in at -281 yesterday and as I expected it looks like more money is being laidon the favorite. My only concern here (and its a concern I'm sure many Jackson fans have) is his inability or better yet, unwillingness to check legkicks. Furthermore (and a lot of this is kinda rehash thast been said before so please bear with me) I don't come from a boxing/martial arts practicionerbackground, but as a fan who watched quite a bit of combat sports, it appears that Jardines standup defense is sub par. It seems like he keeps his handspretty low, and has a tendency to drop them completely when he throws a punch. Jardine also has that aggressive brawler mentality and I can see him reachingand leaving himself open to get KTFO. That being said, I am always a bit wary of betting against fighters out of Greg Jackson's camp. Dude can gameplan,and I'm sure they've studied the Forrest v. Rampage fight. If he goes that route, keeps his distance, and keeps 'Page at bay with them low kicksand front push kicks, I could see Jardine either eeking out a decision or frustrating Rampage to press and overextend himself, potentially leaving himselfopen.

Hamill (-151) v. Munoz (+141)
I like what I've seen from Munoz, but I have a feeling that he might get shook with the crowd and spectacle of fighting in the octagon. My main concernhere is if Munoz utilizes his wrestling (not that Hamill is a pushover) and goes for the takedown/gnp. No knock on Munoz's standup, but I hope that hekeeps it standing and tries to trade with Hamill. My betting strategy here is based on the assumption that Munoz is going to be off his game due to the nervesassociated with fighting in front of 13,000 fans in the octagon for the first time.

Gonzaga (-156) v. Carwin (+146)
Kinda the same thought process applies here (me givin props to Greg Jackson's gameplanning). I wa actually going with Carwin up until this morning whenthe line moved in his favor. I feel that over the next 24 hours more money is going to be laid on Carwin and the line might move down even more. This soundsstupid, but the one thing that kinda swung my decision was an article I came across this morning where Carwin made a comment about "not forcing anythin inthe fight" and taking things as they come. If Carwin doesnt press the action, close the distance, fight out of the clinch and/or go for the takedown andutilize his top control game, I have a feeling that Gonzaga will take this one. I know that Carwin is a house of a man, but if Gonzaga can somehow take Carwindown or finds himself on the bottom and can sweep, I think its game over. Gonzagas top control (in my opinion) is excellent, and I can see him pepperingCarwin with his gnp and getting the decision, if not pulling off a sub. I know a lot of people think that Carwin aint getting subbed in this fight but I dontknow. I can see that happening if Gonzaga can get into top position. I think the only place Carwin will have the edge is if he can close the distance andfight out of the clinch.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

I respect the opinions of some of you guys participating in this thread so I wanted to hear your thoughts on how you think the UFC 96 fights might go. In this economy its probably not best to be frivolously betting large sums of money on MMA (well large by my standards). I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on a couple, but hopefully some of your analysis will sway me.

Rampage (-306) v. Jardine (+276)
I'm a bit pissed at myself for holding off on this one. Rampage was coming in at -281 yesterday and as I expected it looks like more money is being laid on the favorite. My only concern here (and its a concern I'm sure many Jackson fans have) is his inability or better yet, unwillingness to check leg kicks. Furthermore (and a lot of this is kinda rehash thast been said before so please bear with me) I don't come from a boxing/martial arts practicioner background, but as a fan who watched quite a bit of combat sports, it appears that Jardines standup defense is sub par. It seems like he keeps his hands pretty low, and has a tendency to drop them completely when he throws a punch. Jardine also has that aggressive brawler mentality and I can see him reaching and leaving himself open to get KTFO. That being said, I am always a bit wary of betting against fighters out of Greg Jackson's camp. Dude can gameplan, and I'm sure they've studied the Forrest v. Rampage fight. If he goes that route, keeps his distance, and keeps 'Page at bay with them low kicks and front push kicks, I could see Jardine either eeking out a decision or frustrating Rampage to press and overextend himself, potentially leaving himself open.

Hamill (-151) v. Munoz (+141)
I like what I've seen from Munoz, but I have a feeling that he might get shook with the crowd and spectacle of fighting in the octagon. My main concern here is if Munoz utilizes his wrestling (not that Hamill is a pushover) and goes for the takedown/gnp. No knock on Munoz's standup, but I hope that he keeps it standing and tries to trade with Hamill. My betting strategy here is based on the assumption that Munoz is going to be off his game due to the nerves associated with fighting in front of 13,000 fans in the octagon for the first time.

Gonzaga (-156) v. Carwin (+146)
Kinda the same thought process applies here (me givin props to Greg Jackson's gameplanning). I wa actually going with Carwin up until this morning when the line moved in his favor. I feel that over the next 24 hours more money is going to be laid on Carwin and the line might move down even more. This sounds stupid, but the one thing that kinda swung my decision was an article I came across this morning where Carwin made a comment about "not forcing anythin in the fight" and taking things as they come. If Carwin doesnt press the action, close the distance, fight out of the clinch and/or go for the takedown and utilize his top control game, I have a feeling that Gonzaga will take this one. I know that Carwin is a house of a man, but if Gonzaga can somehow take Carwin down or finds himself on the bottom and can sweep, I think its game over. Gonzagas top control (in my opinion) is excellent, and I can see him peppering Carwin with his gnp and getting the decision, if not pulling off a sub. I know a lot of people think that Carwin aint getting subbed in this fight but I dont know. I can see that happening if Gonzaga can get into top position. I think the only place Carwin will have the edge is if he can close the distance and fight out of the clinch.

Thoughts?

I agree with your analysis but I don't see Jardine having much of a chance. He's been essentially the same fighter every time and takes too many risks.Jardine's strong point is the standing but I don't see him doing any damage there due to Rampage's superior boxing. Also i'm more than surePage will be ready for leg kicks.

I believe Jardine will get KOd tomorrow...not TKO, KO.

Rampage's boxing is ever evolving. His hand speed was very good in his last match and it reminds me of Rashad's boxing (which I think is one the bestor the best in the business right now).

As for people who are worried about the legs kicks:
ohwell.gif
you really thinkhe ain't preparin for that? 'Page will close the gap before that leg goes up...with his wrestling he can take him down and give Jardine a good beatingon the mat.

Anyone think the Sanchez-Guida is wack? Clay's gonna be roadkill
smh.gif
I think Diego's on the fast track for a title shot or at least a #1 contender matchafter this one.

I think Jardine has a bad match up with Page. He likes to go in and out with his striking and goes in wild a lot. He's gonna get caught if he does thatIMO.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

rooting for jardine so that machida can get the title shot he deserves.

carwin/gonzaga is the most intriguing matchup of the night.

Thats the only reason I'm rooting for Jardine.

Back
Top Bottom