Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by chino905

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by therenegade23

Sexyama has the best entrance
laugh.gif
+1.  adds to the sexyness.

when buffer introduced him as sexyama i almost crapped my pants.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

And yea, Sexyama has had that entrance song for a while now..
pimp.gif

Yeah, for some reason I really like it when dudes got the same walk out song/routine for every fight (especially if its a fighter i really like).  I guess its cause I subconsciously link that song to that fighter.  Kinda like Wandy and that Darude - Sandstorm song.  A buddy of mine, who just recently has been introduced to the Sexyness and MMA in general (he's been an avid fan for about 2 years now) said "man, Sexyama is like one of my favorite fighters but I just wish he had more talent".  Looks like the Andrea Bocelli inspired walk in got its hooks in him too.

EJ - I think Kampmann v. Shields is a tough fight to read to be honest.  When the fight was first announced, I (and a lot of other people) thought Shields would come in and blanket his way (fairly easily) into another decision win.  I have to say though, I am a bit biased.  When Kampmann came into the UFC, I feel that there was a fair amount of hype behind him, and I just didnt see it.  I thought he got fed a buncha cans early in his UFC career and those W's didn't really prove much.  When he ran into a legitimate elite level fighter like Marquardt, he got beat soundly.  When he made the move to 170, my "overrated" bias followed, but since then I am starting to warm up to him.  He is an exciting fighter with good all around skills.  I don't know if Shields's monster square jaw has ever been tested (I only started watching Shields fight in Elite XC and SF, don't know much about him before then) but if Kampmann has the power to put a lot of dudes to sleep, so if Shields does not have a BJ Penn-esque coconut head, he could be seeing stars.

To me, Shields is a 2 trick pony, but he is VERY GOOD at those 2 tricks.  While Kampmann is no slouch on the ground, If Shields can get the TD, I dont see him giving up his top position and he will probably ride it to an easy win.  Keep in mind that Shields was able to take down a world class wrestler like Hendo with relative ease.  Hendo was a much bigger stronger fighter than Kampmann, and also has a better wrestling pedigree.  I think Kampmann has pretty good TD Defense of his own, so the TD is not going to be a gimme by any means, but that is the key to victory for him.  If he gets taken down and held down, easy W for Shields.  If Kampmann can keep it on the feet, Shields may go to sleep.

Originally Posted by ej

what does it mean when they sa in mma no-gi?
some other guys in here might be able to give a more definite answer but ill try

while there are other forms of martial arts that teach/emphasize grappling and submission fighting, BJJ is the most prevalant.  Traditional BJJ, like many other martial arts (karate, taekwondo, judo, etc..)  is taught and practiced with a Gi (the "uniform" in which you wrap the belt around).  Since the martial art was originally created for use with a Gi on, there are techniques in BJJ that utilize the Gi.

Regulated MMA in the US does not allow fighters to wear a Gi (In Japan you can still choose to wear a Gi in an MMA fight).  Therefore, BJJ used in the MMA format differs slightly than OG BJJ.  BJJ used in MMA is referred to as no-gi.

Now this is where some more knowlegable NTers might be able to help me out since I don't train.  I've been told from a friend of mine whos been training strictly no-gi for only a year or so, that the traditional BJJ belt levels (white, blue, purple, brown, black, red) does not really apply for no-gi BJJ?  He was saying that at his school, guys who are highly proficient in no-gi BJJ are still technically considered BJJ white belts and must complete the necessary training in traditional Gi BJJ, as well as exhibiting success in tournaments and other competitions in order to attain the next level.  true or false?

Originally Posted by shogun

condit destroyed hardy with hardy's own trademark punch.  finished him when gsp couldn't.  
eek.gif

i had a feeling akiyama would lose the fight.  he never has a gameplan and is happy just standing up.  i don't think him moving down to WW is the answer.  his cardio is already questionable, trying to cut down to 170 would drain him too much.
I think him being that weight is why his cardio is so bad. He's too big. He needs to slim down. His built like an Asian Ronnie.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Originally Posted by shogun

condit destroyed hardy with hardy's own trademark punch.  finished him when gsp couldn't.  
eek.gif

i had a feeling akiyama would lose the fight.  he never has a gameplan and is happy just standing up.  i don't think him moving down to WW is the answer.  his cardio is already questionable, trying to cut down to 170 would drain him too much.
I think him being that weight is why his cardio is so bad. He's too big. He needs to slim down. His built like an Asian Ronnie.
laugh.gif

i agree with you mayhemmonkey000, akiyama should really go down to 170lbs, loosing extra weight would definitly increase his stamina and improve his cardio.. carrying all those weight with bigger opponents could really takes its toll on your body and endurance.. and with his height and short reach in the middleweight division is definitly a major disadvantage, so i think the best thing akiyama should do, if he doesnt want to get cut from the UFC is cutting down weight to 170 as a welterweight.

Haven't posted in here in quite some time.

Just stopped in to say co-sign on everything Mojo typed in above.

Did 2 years of no-gi jiu jitsu, which is pretty much MMA-based submission grappling.

Originally Posted by ej

guys whats your taughts on the jake shields vs. martin kampmann?
damn.

but I want Shields to win in a convincing fashion just so he can fight GSP. the guy's been talking smack for years on how he's the best welterweight and on how he's way better than GSP.

btw, anyone watch TUF here?
laugh.gif
that guillotine under 20 secs

and Sexyama @ 170 is laughable. I'm sorry but this guy isn't fit nowadays. He just looks so stiff all the time and gasses out very quick. compare him now to what he was doing in JP before:

It's sad.

Gotta visit Family tomorrow but Watching the fights with my uncle. Should be a good night. My picks are Gonzaga, Tito, Paulo, Shields and Lesnar. Imo this ppv has the potential to match up with 116. Im very excited. Lesnar should over power Cain no problem. Cain is fast but lesnar is big and fast. Stand up is what im waiting to see if Lesnar worked on heavily. Lesnar should take the w not fairly easily but after a good fight. See ya'll tomorrow.

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Originally Posted by illphillip

No Bellator discussion?
Highlights of Alvarez?

Also bout to watch 121 weigh in, hopefully we'll get some antics
Are things in here UFC centered? I haven't been in here in ages. That clutchshooter clown was nauseating.

Rick Hawn's throw? Ben Askren's dominance.

Alvarez looked great. Was wondering what people thought about how he's stack up against the other premier LW's, especially since his sub game has looked good of late.

Interesting that he trained with Frankie Edgar before that fight.

And yes, pumped for the fights tomorrow. Hope Cain can swing the W.

No Bellator discussion?
Highlights of Alvarez?

Are things in here UFC centered? I haven't been in here in ages. That clutchshooter clown was nauseating.

Alvarez looked great. Was wondering what people thought about how he's stack up against the other premier LW's, especially since his sub game has looked good of late.

good to see you back illphillip.

i would say that things are fairly UFC/SF centric here.  There is a touch of Bellator or Dream discussion but not much.

Originally Posted by chino905

soo hyped for tomorrow's PPV. Solid card.

And where can you watch Bellator at?

its either on fox sports net or fox sports west (or whatever region you live in)

No Bellator discussion?
Highlights of Alvarez?

I couldn't even find Bellator on yesterday.
tired.gif
I usually have no problem but I found it odd I couldn't find it and it was their biggest event. Just got home a trying to find the HD rip now.

I'm a casual MMA fan. I am by no means an expert. I try to watch as much as possible.

So with that, what are the chances that Cain pulls out the W tomorrow? I am a fan of both Brock and Cain, but I am going with that cultural pride on this one (I'm Mexican). I want Cain to win, but it just looks like Brock could easily take him, and keep him down.

I say
Schaub vs. Gonzaga
Ortiz vs. Hamill

Sanchez vs. Thiago

Shields vs. Kampmann

Lesnar vs. Velasquez

Just checked out the prelims and theyre pretty damn good too.
Madsen vs. Yvel

Camozzi vs. Yang

Stout vs. Taylor

Guymon vs. Roberts

Cote vs.  Lawlor

McGee vs. Jensen

I want Cain to win

Brock is a beast..... THIS WILL BE GOOD

Match is hyped so Im thinking there will be an HD stream somewhere

Back
Top Bottom