Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by Buttons McBoomBoom

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Only thing I dislike about the tourney is the bracket. %%++ with that nonsense.

Can't believe they

1. Matched Overreem with Werdum
2. Put Overeem in the same bracket as Fedor
3. Would have been nice had they made it possible for Fedor avenge his loss to Werdum before facing Overeem in the Final

But I guess they didn't want to risk them not facing each other. Meh.
I hear what you're saying, but the reason I like this is if everything goes the way I'd like it...we will get Fedor/Overeem and then Fedor/Barnett. And pretty funny that Arlovski has already lost to 3 of the 8 competitors in the GP.
I would ideally like there to be

Fedor v Silva, then Fedor v Werdum then Fedor v Overeem
Overeem v Sergei then Overeem v Barnett or Rogers then Overeem v Fedor

pimp.gif

...WOW...that is a lop-sided bracket...it's like winner vs. loser bracket...rogers/barnett gonna have a shot to move past quarters...
indifferent.gif
...but I'm still gonna watch...

From the sounds of this article, there may be a re-bracketing after the first round.

But I guess it doesn't matter anyway, the only fight anyone wants to see is Fedor/Overeem.. and me personally would have loved to see a rematch between Fedor/Werdum. Fedor had that fight
tired.gif

And yes, Fedor/Overeem is the only fight Strikeforce could put on for anyone to buy it.

Meltzer Yahoo article

The most interesting pairing is Overeem and Werdum, who on paper should be considered the top two seeds, meeting in the first round. is because Coker said that when he talked with Overeem on New Year’s Eve in Japan, he specifically asked for Werdum as his first round opponent. The current plan is to hold the semifinals in July and the finals in October, dates that may be changed based on any injury situations with the winners. There are going to be several alternates in case of injuries to winners, but Coker noted they want to use them only as a last-ditch scenario.

There are still questions to be determined, such as the bracketing after the first round, and the status of Overeem’s heavyweight championship. Coker said a decision will be made shortly, on whether the title will be on the line throughout the tournament.

[h2]Floyd Mayweather Sr Comments on Training BJ Penn [/h2]

QUESTION: My phone has been blowing up because word got out that you are working with UFC lightweight/welterweight BJ Penn. How did that come about?

ANSWER:  Well, you know his strength and conditioning coach is Robert Garcia. Robert was Oscar's strength coach when I was with him, so he brought BJ down and we doing some stuff together. He was only supposed to be down here for a week, but he said he's learning so much that he's gonna stay two. If they really want to win this thing and look good, I would like to have him for 3 to 4 weeks, but trust me…the stuff I'm showing him in these 2 weeks will work if he uses it; trust me.

QUESTION: How is the chemistry so far?

ANSWER:  BJ Penn is a cool dude man. I'll be honest, at first, it didn't seem like he could fight that good. I mean, I don't know about his ground game and all of that stuff, but he's got some pop and in just the 3 days I've been working with him, he has improved man. In his words, man, he told me, "I ain't never seen some of this stuff you're showing me man." And that's only after 3 days. BJ is learning fast man. He's a good guy. 

QUESTION: His next opponent is Jon Fitch, who is a wrestler and will have a height and size advantage… 

ANSWER: (Cutting in) Yeah, I heard he is about 6 foot tall and cuts a good bit of weight to make 170 pounds, but guess what? If BJ throws his shots the way I got him throwing his shots, he will win. See, those guys throwing shots different than the way we do it, so I'm teaching BJ how to keep it standing and be effective. Let me tell you something man, if he uses it, then it will work. 

QUESTION: Do you see yourself working with more martial artists because I've had a few of them hit me up to get in contact with you.

ANSWER:  I work with a couple now and I'm all for it. I don't know *@$@ about that ground stuff, but I can get their defense tight and get them throwing their shots right. I got BJ working on something just for a taller opponent. I don't know what BJ's ground game is like at all, but if he uses what I'm showing him, he won't need it. Trust me when I tell you now. 

QUESTION: You know BJ worked with Freddie Roach some years back… 

ANSWER:  (Cutting in) I bet he aint going back [to Freddie Roach] either. He worked with Freddie "The Joke Coach" Roach and he telling me he has never seen the stuff I'm showing him, so what does that tell you? Man, the only thing Freddie Roach can do better than me is wash my car. 

--Brandon Vera, Antonio McKee and Marcus Davis were all cut following their losses on Saturday night's UFC 124 PPV.

laparkachairguitar.gif

santinocarltondance.gif

thegreatkhalifansdancin.gif

scott coker and whoever their matchmaker is are dummies.  overeem is the champ, why is he in the tourney?  at least give him a slot in the final.  they have their champ facing the number one contender in the first round and it doesn't look like it'll be a title fight.  they're making their belt look real meaningless.

I never liked Vera.... dude is a db. glad he is gone.

whoever did the bracketing for the tourny.... good job ja -_-
horrible. i really think theyre gonna mess this up somehow. we'll see.
and I hope barnett can pass a piss test, i dont plan on it tho.
if it happens, im still taking fedor.
overall he still posses a better MMA pedigree. I doubt he'll be hanging his head or staying
in a guard that good again. if he does then i'll laugh. looking forward to this.
reminds me, slightly, of the great pride days.

Originally Posted by shogun

scott coker and whoever their matchmaker is are dummies.  overeem is the champ, why is he in the tourney?  at least give him a slot in the final.  they have their champ facing the number one contender in the first round and it doesn't look like it'll be a title fight.  they're making their belt look real meaningless.

I could have swore I read an article somewhere that said Coker confirmed that the title will be on the line throughout the tourney and all the title fights would be the traditional 5 rounds. I gotta try and find it.

On a side note , Akiyama vs Marquardt was added to the UFC NJ card. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Buttons McBoomBoom

I could have swore I read an article somewhere that said Coker confirmed that the title will be on the line throughout the tourney and all the title fights would be the traditional 5 rounds. I gotta try and find it.
It was on MMAFighting. I think they still have to get the okay from the commission to get all the fights 5 rounds. I don't think it's happened yet.

I disagree, they want to guarantee big fights through out the tourney. Who cares if we see a fight Fedor v. Reem in the finals or semifinals, point is we get to see it and Strikeforce knows that big fights are going to sell these cards not just the fact it is a Grand Prix. Secondly WAND fought in a Grand Prix when he was champ of a division, so it is not like it is unheard of. 

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

I disagree, they want to guarantee big fights through out the tourney. Who cares if we see a fight Fedor v. Reem in the finals or semifinals, point is we get to see it and Strikeforce knows that big fights are going to sell these cards not just the fact it is a Grand Prix. Secondly WAND fought in a Grand Prix when he was champ of a division, so it is not like it is unheard of. 
Yeah. I don't see why people are complaining about it. Even if the only 5 round fights were the championship fights it'll still be a good tourney. It's just the chance of this tourney finishing to me with the fights we want are very slim to me.

They shoulda made the tourney Og pride and have all the fights in the same day. That would be better than any ufc event.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Originally Posted by sensation87

Edgar/Maynard won fight of the night
Guida got submission of the night
Stephens got knockout of the night.
whats the purse for those?
nerd.gif

$60k each.

eek.gif
 wow
good for jeremy. i saw him out at a couple bars in iowa a while back and he's a cool guy

i just think it would be better if the winner of the tourney would fight the champ or meet him in the final.  makes more sense to me.  but strikeforce isn't known for doing things that make sense so i'm not surprised.  we'll just wait and see how it turns out, with strikeforce you never know.

Right now the Strikeforce HW division looks tougher then UFC HW

Roy Nelson cant fight. Brock looks like he doesnt want to. Cain and Carwin are hurt. Pretty much only 2 people left are Mir and JDS. That fight NEEDS to happen.

i just think it would be better if the winner of the tourney would fight the champ or meet him in the final.  makes more sense to me.  but strikeforce isn't known for doing things that make sense so i'm not surprised.  we'll just wait and see how it turns out, with strikeforce you never know.
The thing you gotta remember is Overeem. It's already hard enough trying to get this guy to fight in Strikeforce. If you have him wait until the end of the tourney he probably wouldn't fight until March of next year. He'll probably be on the Dream New Years card again, and he's gonna do K-1 before that. He'll probably then proceed to take a break because he is so active, he just wouldn't be active for Strikeforce. Strikeforce has to strike will it's hot.

I think it should work out good save for any injuries, I believe Coker said he'd like the GP to be wrapped up by around Sept. The plus side to me is that if everything flows smoothly Fedor will have to fight 3 times (if he advances) within the year instead of his usual annual fight. Downside is, the reserve fights to determine the replacements should anyone become injured so far are. Shane Del Rosario / Lavar Johnson which will be in NJ, and Ray Sefo / Valentijn Overeem. 
eyes.gif
Imagine the mess if one of them ends up winning. People are already saying you can count on Fedor breaking his hand on Bigfoots head lol.

I just dont like how the tickets go on sale next week and pretty much only 2 fights have been announced , one of which I have little interest in. It's been rumored that Mayhem / Tim Kennedy and JZ Calvalcante / TBA will be on the card. Also talk of Mousasi / Mike Kyle. I guess well see if anything becomes concrete over the weekend.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/tags/valentijn-overeem http://www.sbnation.com/mma/fighter/123085/lavar-johnson

So UFC 130 lookin like:

Maynard/Edgar III
Rampage/Thiago Silva
Roy Nelson/ Mir
Alves/Story

Wow, so Rampage doesn't get a title shot and Mir isn't going to fight JDS for the interim belt. Wow

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

So UFC 130 lookin like:

Maynard/Edgar III
Rampage/Thiago Silva
Roy Nelson/ Mir
Alves/Story

Wow, so Rampage doesn't get a title shot and Mir isn't going to fight JDS for the interim belt. Wow
Mir and Rampage in no way deserve title shots. No Way

The winner of Jon Jones/Ryan Bader should and hopefully will get the next title shot. Jon Jones vs Rashad might be a problem because they are both Greg Jackson fighters... but I'm predicting Shogun will beat Rashad via late TKO.

Back
Top Bottom