Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Solid Card, watched it all.

Bisping was strong in his fight
Quarry/ Starnes was the worst fight I have seen in a long time and thats all thanks to Kalib seemed like dude really regretted taking this fight... but therunning man Nate and then kalib flipping off Nate during the fight had me
roll.gif

GSP just goes to show us. This guy is the real deal and will be a force for a LONG TIME.

great fights overall

nice fight by bisping, it wasnt really a fight cuz he was just beating up the guy

great escape by rich from that armbar. havent really seen rich's ground game that much and its impressive against a toop notch bjj fighter. lutter justgassed out after the first round. dude took everything he had in him to take rich down and go for the submission. it failed and it was over

gsp vs serra... great fight. gsp learned his lesson and took serra down the first 5 sec of the first round. he protected well from serra's looping righthand. it was obvious gsp was fired up for the match

now i wanna see serra vs. hughes!!!!

Just got back from watching the fights at my bud's house. Fight card wa terrible. The Danzig fight was probably fight of the night,

McCarthy, Starnes, and Lutter should all be banished from the UFC following those performances. McCarthy sucks. Starnes ran the whole fight and which might bethe worst fight have seen my entire fight. And Lutter gassed once again. Dude needs to be in shape when he fights.

Silva would make easy work of Bisping and Quarry. I'm sure of it.

We all knew GSP would dominate Serra. He played it safe though with the ground and pound. The only feasible opponent I see for GSP would be Fitch. Karo justlost, Diego is still trying to come back and Thiago isn't ready. BJ/Sherk will be a war and if Penn wins, he has a lot of competition still at 155. We canonly dream of a GSP/Silva fight.

Originally Posted by MonopolyMan630

McCarthy, Starnes, and Lutter should all be banished from the UFC following those performances. McCarthy sucks. Starnes ran the whole fight and which might be the worst fight have seen my entire fight. And Lutter gassed once again. Dude needs to be in shape when he fights.

from what ive seen, its pretty obvious that lutter literally can't make 185, he always shows up at 186 and even when he does that he's dead tired,i dont think its a cardio problem at all and that he just cant make 185, guy's one of those cases where he obviously too small for 205 but too big for185
Originally Posted by Battousai701

now i wanna see serra vs. hughes!!!!

i'd want to see that to but itd be terrible if the ufc marketed at a title shot fight cause its obvious that both of these guys would get crushed bygsp, fitch and alves are the only people standing in the way of a bj gsp rematch

I didn't understand what Starne was doing the whole night just running around.

If that was his plan

Then his trainer should have told him to run around the ring while twirling the towel he had over his neck. Cause that would've been more entertaining

Starne was the wost fight I ever seen, but the whole running thou the entire match was hella funny thou.
laugh.gif

Kalib should have hit Quarry when he was clownin him. Instead he gave him the finger.

What an effective counter.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Battousai701

Originally Posted by Bastitch

Cung Le was essentially Strikeforce's Kimbo Slice up until this fight.
laugh.gif
smh.gif
very bad comparison... cung le isnt some street brawler they just picked out of the alley from watching youtube. hes a legit professional fighter and prolly one of the best strikers in the world in his weight class and has a pretty good wrestling background. he only lacks true experience in the ground game.

Bad comparison?

Weird, the guys at MMAJunkie.com made the same exact comparison like 3 months ago.
  • I am very, very interested to see what EliteXC does next with Kimbo Slice. There's talk of a Ken Shamrock fight, which I actually think is a good idea and a real challenge, but at 34 years old, Kimbo doesn't have time on his side. They're going to have figure out very quickly if he's going to be a cash-generating spectacle or a legit heavyweight contender. It's kind of like Strikeforce with Cung Le. People will pay to watch him fight anyone, but they recently gave him a real challenge with Frank Shamrock.

I mean, Cung Le is just like Kimbo in the sense that he has/had a really cult following in MMA. They're both cash cows for their respectiveorganizations. And up until the Shamrock fight, Cung Le was fed cans, just like Kimbo is being fed cans. Strikeforce for the most part has been a localpromotion with Cung Le as their big local draw.

It's a smart move if you want to keep people as top-of-the-card, money making draws and it's a very effective tactic.
So finally, Strikeforce rolls the dice and puts Cung Le up against Shamrock, and they hit.

What I started thinking about after the GSP/Serra fight was whether or not that was just GSP being really good, Serra not being who we thought he was, or acombination of both.

There has to be a GSP/Serra III at this point.

Oh, and how good did The Count look? If 185 is his "natural weight" then, holy crap. He said he didn't even have to cut for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gingerbread_man

After UFC 83 Serra vs St. Pierre 2, a matchup between Nate Quarry and Kalib Starnes resulted in a decision loss to Starnes in favor of Quarry. Starnes suffered a humiliating loss to Quarry as Starnes backpedaled for 3 rounds including to the taunts of Nate Quarry. Kalib Starnes gained the nickname "The Gingerbread Man" as he, in a fashion similar to the gingerbread man, fled from his opponent for 15 minutes.

eek.gif
laugh.gif

I highly doubt theres gonna be a Pierre vs Serra 3. Im sure Serra wants to fight Hughes in a grudge match but after that he should drop down to his naturalweight class. Fitch or Alves is next in line for a title shot against Pierre.

ehh UFC 83 wasn't that spectacular. The Franklin/Lutter was disappointing, and GSP and Serra went as i predicted, quick for GSP. UFC 84 here we go! THatcard is CRAZY stacked. Sherk v Penn, Machida v Tito, Jardine v Wandy my god! Plus Thiago Silva is on this card. This has the potential to beat UFC 73 and 79IMO!

So I glad I didn't drop a DIME on this UFC card. Not that boxing was much better.

Looking forward to Serra/Hughes and GSP/Fitch.

You guys SERIOUSLY need to chill with Thiago Alves already getting a title shot because he beat Karo. This is the same talk that had Houston Alexander gettinga shot off TWO wins.

Karo is the first contender the kid has beaten. Have Alves fight Koscheck or Diego first.

ive never seen a fight stopped on strikes to the body before, matt serra must have broken ribs.

what the hell is with all the talk about moving to middleweight?

last i checked the welterweight division is still pretty stacked and GSP hasn't even successfully defended the title yet.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

ive never seen a fight stopped on strikes to the body before, matt serra must have broken ribs.

last i checked the welterweight division is still pretty stacked and GSP hasn't even successfully defended the title yet.

ur right about him not successfully defending his title, but other than fitch and alves, nobody really stands a chance against him unless penn moves up,gsp's pretty much the most skilled fighter in his division not to mention he's probably also the biggest and strongest
edit - also, i think there are people at 170 that are more talented and better fighters than fitch and alves like karo parysian and diego sanchez butthese guys just cant match the size and strength of gsp, alves, and fitch, if u saw the diego vs fitch fight ud know what im talking about, i thought diego wasa way better fighter but that he just couldnt match fitch's size

Originally Posted by super roach

laugh.gif
Dude was a %*+%*

ricieg.jpg

sxjfc1.gif

dude was a straight up %#$%# for runnin the whole fight
smh.gif

and McCarthy got what he deserved for tryna be bold and taunting...i hate that $**+...just fight!

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

I dont remember if it was a referee stoppage but didnt Gabe "soft belly" Rudiger lose to a body blow by Melvin Guillard?

Basically repeating what others have said but Alves is not ready for a title fight. No need to ruin his momentum now by feeding him to GSP. I want to seeFitch get in there and mix it up with GSP. Serra v. GSP III would be a terrible idea for the UFC. Not sure how they could build a hype machine around therubber match after Serra was completely dismantled. Serra v. Hughes now thats going to sell PPV's.

Lutter came in looking like Lutter. BJJ game is tight, but dudes got no gas in the tank. He aint going to be scaring anyone with that lack of conditioning. To say that Lutter is a tweener of sorts (too small for 205, too big for 185) look at Ace. His natural walk around weight has got to be close to 205, in facthes fought at 205 before. He is big for a middleweight but always comes in ready to fight in top notch condition.

The armbar escape is actually quite easy to do. notice how his palm is turned downwards, which makes the armbar pretty useless. all he needed to do is turnaround out of it.

Originally Posted by KYSL88

The armbar escape is actually quite easy to do. notice how his palm is turned downwards, which makes the armbar pretty useless. all he needed to do is turn around out of it.

yeah, that inward palm prevented the armbar, but him rolling over could have made it a lot worse for his arm

yes, only if his hand was palm was laying naturally towards the bottom. this escape only works if you twist your palm towards the bottom by going the other way

Back
Top Bottom