[ Official N.Y. METS 2008 OFF-SEASON: MURPHY PERMANENT LEFT FIELDER ]

For today (03/19/08):

Mets on the mound: Relying on an improved changeup, Maine struck out seven Indians over 5 2/3 innings, limiting them to a single run. Reliever Joe Smith, struggling this spring but still hoping to earn a roster spot, entered the game with two men on base and struck out the only batter he faced. Right-hander Aaron Heilman pitched in and out of a jam in the seventh, striking out three batters.

Up next for the Mets: Continuing his effort to be ready for Opening Day, setup man Duaner Sanchez will attempt to pitch on Thursday for the second time in three games. He'll follow Johan Santana in a 7:10 p.m. ET game against the Orioles, which is also scheduled to feature bullpen cogs Billy Wagner, Aaron Heilman and Pedro Feliciano. Right-hander Jon Leicester will start for the Orioles.

Man, if I were Maine, I would talk to Pedro and Santana (shoot, even Heilman) 24/7 to perfect my changeup....so far it's looked good this Spring.

Imagine learning from those 2.
eek.gif

Wagner looked pretty nasty tonight and I got to see Martinez hit a nice RBI double. I didn't get to see most of the first 6 innings but it seemed like thebullpen (Smith, Heilman, Show & Wags) did their thing. 15 Ks total is real nice.

Originally Posted by ddot7

Yeah, I got to listen to the FAN for about 10 minutes in the car today and I heard them mention the possibility of Pagan for Crisp.
I hope they don't do that...Pagan looks pretty good

Fernando was sent down to the minors, and I'm glad most of you guys were able to see what I saw from the kid last year. Dude looks so disciplined @ theplate and has a power hitters stance.....rarely chases bad pitches.

I'll look foward to seeing the kid start in the outfielf next season once Alou is out, but I have a gut feeling he'll be called up once during thisseason. He is only 19 yrs old, so once is more than enough.

Santana is scheduled to start tonight @ 7pm (SNY).

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Fernando was sent down to the minors, and I'm glad most of you guys were able to see what I saw from the kid last year. Dude looks so disciplined @ the plate and has a power hitters stance.....rarely chases bad pitches.

I'll look foward to seeing the kid start in the outfielf next season once Alou is out, but I have a gut feeling he'll be called up once during this season. He is only 19 yrs old, so once is more than enough.

Santana is scheduled to start tonight @ 7pm (SNY).

Yeah, I really hope he gets called up at least to prepare him for maybe starting next season. I mean, he lookslike he's got everything, but there's a lot of time between now and like, something like a whole season...

I didn't get to see Santana tonight, wish I could've. Looks like he was pretty unstoppable and it's good to see him going 6 innings at thispoint. Anyone know his pitch count? Regardless, 6 innings of shutout ball with 7 Ks is real nice to hear.

Santana is just crazy, the pitching has pretty much been filthy the entire spring.

The season can't start soon enough.

I got to watch some of the game today on ESPN. Our B-Team smacked around the Braves and Perez pitched a good game after looking pretty erratic during theSpring. It was good to see him go over 6 innings, left the game after allowing 2 ERs but had left 2 guys on base. Joe Smith was a little wild in relief, walkedone dude and got charged with hitting another, but it didn't look like it touched him (Lillibridge).

Gotay got put on waivers and supposedly was pretty emotional about it. Sucks to hear, hopefully we can get him back.

I'm excited about the season, even with all the injuries everything seems to be coming together. I just wish we had a 5th starter but our 1-4 looks REALgood.

Apparently, Willie stated that he did not fit the teams "needs" because they needed a RH hitter off the bench, and because Castillo will be here fora few years he would def. not get any playing time, so they stuck with other hitters instead who are more versatile. I like Gotay a lot and I think its a badmove getting rid of him for NOTHING, but we have enough lefties as it is (he is def not switch hitter material).

I'm a big Pelf supporter but I don't think he's ready YET to become a full time 5th starter at this point. While his secondary pitch has improvedand his breaking ball has come along nicely, he still doesn't have GREAT command of his other pitches yet....plus he seems like a kid who gets rattledeasily. The same way John Maine and Ollie Perez have learned to "limit" the bleeding during poor innings, Pelfrey will need to figure out the samebecause he is still relatively young.

If it were up to me (and if Duque was healthy), I would let Pelf stay in the minors to work on some more pitches and his command. But Duque is hurt so Pelf isgonna start in the meantime, so I won't lose any sleep cause the season is just getting underway.

All I ask for is that the Mets handle the situation CORRECTLY and not send him down to the minors and call him up several times throughout the course of theseason...it won't do any good for his confidence.

I think Santana is going to be a bust in NY.

^ Quote this in 6 months and see.

All you do is go into anything Mets related and state a negative opinion about them. I don't see Mets fans TROLLING into Dodgers posts oranything Dodgers related.

Kind of weird in my opinion b/c I don't understand what your infatuation is with them (they aren't even in the same DIVISION)!

lets go baby cant wait till 4pm... ill be in class but as soon as i get out mLb.tv here i come... sucks that i live in atlanta because im surrounded by allthese braves fans

I think Santana is going to be a bust in NY.

^ Quote this in 6 months and see.

All you do is go into anything Mets related and state a negative opinion about them. I don't see Mets fans TROLLING into Dodgers posts or anything Dodgers related.

Kind of weird in my opinion b/c I don't understand what your infatuation is with them (they aren't even in the same DIVISION)!
lol

let's go mets!!

Man could the Mets have started off the season in a better fashion facing the Marlins
laugh.gif

Time to get BUSY Johan
pimp.gif

The timing looks off on everyone's bat, I'm sure that will change 2-3rd time through the order.

Santana getting to work already.
pimp.gif

I'm personally expecting Santana to get off to a slow start with the team since he still needs to adjust to the NL, but if he starts dominating out thegate that would be a huge plus.

aw man i wish chavez would start, i got nothing against pagan but i like endy and dude is crazy on defense and a decent hitter

anyways, 2 hit-less innings for johan so far
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom