[ Official N.Y. METS 2008 OFF-SEASON: MURPHY PERMANENT LEFT FIELDER ]

So far...the Mets have drafted:

18) Ike Davis (1B)...pick fro Glavine deal, a lefty power hitter (surprised he fell this low).

22) Reese Havens (SS)...pretty much one of those players teams like to have. He's a scrappy player, leader, has a great eye, hits for average, plays goodD, and could wind up filling a few different spots that we are in need of. Wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a catcher.

33) Bradley Huff....a power pitcher who hits 92-94 consistently (tops out at 96), but has no secondary pitch (another Pelfrey IMO). I hate seeing college kidshaving breaking/curveballs at an early age, they end up having short careeres. he won't face any Major Leaguers for 3 years anyways, so he should be ableto develop.

66) Javier Rodriguez (sounds like a wannabe Gomez)

JAVIER RODRIGUEZ, OF, Puerto Rico Baseball Academy, Gurabo, P.R.
Considered one of the better prospects in Puerto Rico heading into the Excellence Tournament that annually draws scouts to see the island's best talent each May, Rodriguez elevated his status after his strong showing there. He is the best pure hitter from Puerto Rico and has good bat speed. With a lean, athletic body, Rodriguez should have the ability to add muscle to his long frame. He shows above-average raw power to the pull side, though there is some length to his swing. Rodriguez is an average to above-average runner, clocking in at 6.7 seconds in the 60-yard dash. Reviews of his fielding are mixed, though his arm is above-average for both the length and carry he gets on the ball and for its accuracy.

All of the picks have been power arms or bats pretty much, they just went in wanting to draft the best possibly players, not needs (this isn't the NBA,NFL, etc).

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

[color= rgb(102, 153, 0)]what a way to lose tonight[/color]

I was just left saying "wow".....but Scho has had more good than bad, and Pelfrey walked a tight rope all game and the offense did NOTHING.

It doesn't helped that he was squeezed a bit, I don't care how bad the Pads are (or anyone is), you can't score 1 run.

Mets need the next 3 badly, they should have been sweeping this series.

That was a complete letdown. And Mez, I don't know if you saw my comment in the draft thread, but everything I had heard or read was saying that Minaya waslooking to take the best players he could, not just based on need and definitely more pro-ready players who've already played 3 years in college.

I only saw from the 7th inning on due to the nba finals. But I am happy that I didn't get to watch most of this horrible game by the mets. No one seemed towant to play offense today except for reyes. They better step it up quick. 1 run scored is unacceptable.

The Mets dodged many bullets. Pitched out of a jam every inning, which is somewhat of a good sign?

Reyes at third with just one out and NOT scoring = not good.

Stat of the night:

Over the last two seasons, the Mets are over .700 when Reyes scores in the first.

I wouldn't say "1 run scored is unacceptable"....the pitcher they faced has been pretty excellent in his 3 starts, didn't allow a single rununtil yesterday.....it happens.

The lack of run support for the Pelf man has been dismal at best. I do like the fact that he has the ability to limit the damage, if that was Ollie last nighthe would have given up 7 ER. He still needs a lot of work throwing the change up and slider for strikes, but I do like his spots on his two fastballs, and gotdouble plays on his sinker when he needed to.

In fact, in about 60% of Pelfrey's starts, he has given up 2 runs or less.

5.0 innings... 2 RUNS... 2 ER
7.0 innings... 0 RUNS... 0 ER
5.0 innings... 4 RUNS... 4 ER
5.1 innings... 5 RUNS... 5 ER
5.0 innings... 5 RUNS... 5 ER
6.0 innings... 2 RUNS... 2 ER
7.2 innings... 1 RUNS... 1 ER
4.0 innings... 6 RUNS... 6 ER
4.0 innings... 6 RUNS... 4 ER
7.2 innings... 2 RUNS... 2 ER
6.0 innings... 1 RUNS... 1 ER

Vs. CIN, SD, NATS, and LAD he pitched 26.2 innings with an ERA of 2.02, but only got 4 runs combined of total run support (he got 2 losses and 2 ND's).He def should have a winning record.
There are 56 NL pitchers with 60 or more innings pitched this year...
Mike Pelfrey ranks 47th out of those 56 in terms of run support per game, with the Mets scoring just an average of just over 4 runs per 9 innings while Pelfrey is in the game..

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching?sort=runSupportAvg&split=0&league=nl&season=2008&seasonType=2&type=pitch3&ageMin=17&ageMax=

For comparison, Ollie Perez has the 2nd best run support in the NL, with the Mets scoring 7.80 runs per 9 innings while he's on the mound... Maine is 6th in the NL, at 6.43 runs per 9 innings...

These are some very, VERY pathetic at bats by the Mets.

4 pitches in the 4th inning by Wolf? Are you +#$*!*% kidding me?

I really dislike everyone on this team except for Reyes and Wright. Church as well and Alou when he is actually healthy. Everyone else now just gets on mynerves. BTW, does anyone really know anything about these two kids we drafted from ASU and south carolina? I mean I read the times article which said they wereboth power hitters but as anyone actually seen them play?

I'm not disliking anybody right now except Delgaldo but they have hit a little blip in the radar and lost 2 very well pitched games. Take the next to andsalvage the series.

Its disturbing that the Padres with a bunch of nobodies in the lineup due to injuries, put together better quality at bats and worked favorable counts the past2 days, they just can't hit a lick.

I'm still disgusted at that 4 pitch inning.

AT BEST they will be 4-3 on this trip if they win the next 2. The Mets have a record of 1 game over .500 for teams below .500 (ie rockies, pads, giants, nats,etc)....that's not a winning team, thats an average .500 team, and that's what they have been for quite some time now.

Its a shame they only get up vs top tier opponents (except the Braves on the road).

Mets are 2 for 21 with RISP this series, vs a bunch of nobodies.

The longer this game goes on, the better the chance the Mets will lose......you can just sense it.

wow Mez another loss to the Padres the worst hitting team in the NL and the Mets only score 1 run in the other games vs Padres
smh.gif

I smell a Padres sweep

I get it, win 7 of 9, now its time to lose 7 of 9.

Hitting does well, pitching is average. Pitching steps up, and O goes to sleep. Anyone see the dugout during the 9th inning? Everyone sat back in the dugout,looked like they wanted the game to end already so they can head out to some parties. Delgado ran to the showers and bounced, el no gusta interviews. Reyeswent to his "speed" dealer, Wright was thinkin' about some chick he's meeting up with tonight, probably met her last night at a bar, Castillowas carried home in a stretcher, and Wagner is just staring at all of them wanting to blow up the clubhouse.

Where's everybody at?
tired.gif

Pedro pitches today, fighting just to bring the team to .500. What a terrible road trip vs poor scoring teams.

My fault Mez. Fresh off the bday celebration this past week.
pimp.gif

By the time the games started I was either faded or nowhere near a pc to check in.

Anyway, the boys are headed back home tomorrow. I have a feeling they'll win today and take 4 or 5 at Shea.

Anyone know yet if Randy is scheduled for the Zona series? Cuz that'll be the one that we lose.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

My fault Mez. Fresh off the bday celebration this past week.
pimp.gif

By the time the games started I was either faded or nowhere near a pc to check in.

Anyway, the boys are headed back home tomorrow. I have a feeling they'll win today and take 4 or 5 at Shea.

Anyone know yet if Randy is scheduled for the Zona series? Cuz that'll be the one that we lose.
We could alays sign Joe McEwing if Rand is pitching
grin.gif

There's going to be some moves made in a couple of weeks, I think we may see one of our young bats like Carp or someone traded for a veteranoutfielder/first basemen. I would love Nady but he is going to cost too much.

i'm just disgusted with this team so far this year.. but i have a interesting thought..... maybe we will be like the cards of 06, struggle the year, barelysqueak in the playoffs n then catch fire all the way to a title
wink.gif

in other news, just read this from MLBTRADERUMORS.COM

Paul Hagen is reporting that the Mets are interested in acquiring a first baseman and/or a corner outfielder. Hagen says that Omar Minaya is rumored to beinterested in Kevin Millar, Jason Bay and Xavier Nady. Hagen must share a source with Dan Graziano, who mentions the same trio. Might Aaron Heilman be used asbait?

Playoffs = new season...doesn't matter how poor/well you do in the regular season.

They need to just find out a way to make it, but this lineup is seriously flawed when Gado, Endy, Tatis, Schneider are on the bottom of the lineup b/c ofinjuries, and Casanova is your PH.

Padres have score 2 runs every game this series, but its the offense thats the problem for them, not the pitching.

Today is a must win, as embarrassing as losing this series is already, a 4 game sweep would be horrendous.

Wow... Fat Cat really IS pounding the ball again.
eek.gif

edit:
Endy with the STRIKE.
eek.gif

edit 2:
Pete doesn't have it at all today. I hope he turns it around in the second. But he just looks terrible so far.

edit 3:
I HATE when Billy comes in for more than 3 outs. I know he's been great all year... But argh. This hurts.

Rough losing 4 straight to the Pads if that does end up happening. Especially when 3 of the games, the Pads scored 2 runs in each of them.

Oh well, life of a Mets fan.

Back
Top Bottom