[ Official N.Y. METS 2008 OFF-SEASON: MURPHY PERMANENT LEFT FIELDER ]

I don't want any rushed or forced roster moves to make a push for RIGHT NOW, enough of these over the hill players or players near the end of their prime.

If they don't make the playoffs, so be it...its not the end of the world. Just manage this off season wisely with all of these high contracts from oldplayers coming off the books.

Bye Alou, bye Delgado, bye Oliver (if you keep sucking and you're cheap, maybe you can be the 5th starter next year), bye Pedro (offer him a 1yr if heactually pitches effectively this year).

If you're going to trade, trade to improve the farm.

Mez would you welcome Nady and a veteran bat off the bench in Millar. I know they probably won't get both, but both would benefit the team imo.

You know how "expensive (not money wise) Nady would be right now? Pirates would be idiots to get rid of 1 of their 3 talented outfielders.

They should just stay put and not make any panic moves involving young players, team is old as it is.

Agreed that Nady is going to cost a lot of prospects and young players, but in the even they can get him without giving up one of their major prospects(Fernando Martinez) you can't tell me you wouldn't welcome a guy who can platoon at first and play the outfield. And Nady isn't an old player pasthis prime, he is 29 and having the best year of his life. He would be a much cheaper and possibly a better alternative for the first base position if guys likeMike Carp get traded or bust.

I'd rather have guys Mike Carp, Fernando Martinez, etc keep developing. We already have Ryan Church who can play RF better than Nady defensively, andDelgado won't be here next season so the Mets will have options to look for a replacement (if they find a suitable replacement there won't be any needfor a platoon).

No more trades por favor.

tie game...
tired.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I hope Nady is on the roster by July 31st and Kevin Millar is coming off the bench. Millar would bring the veteran leadership needed badly and he does have 11 homers already.
Nady? Millar? How would these trades work?

Nady is hitting disgustingly well and the Mets would have to give up a LOT more than what we got FOR him. Kevin Millar will end up with around 20 homeruns.Don't need him. The Mets don't need veteran leadership; they are the oldest team in the league.

Don't be surprised if Omar Minaya is put on the hot seat by the owners. He's thrown around a disgusting amount of money at all the wrong players.

If they don't make the playoffs, so be it...its not the end of the world.

Word. I'm still on a high from the Superbowl. Still would be a disappointment though.

this is disgusting .I'm still at the game wit my dudes I swear its about 800 people left here
roll.gif

There was like 40,000 people, and now theres like 3,000.
laugh.gif

I love being at these types of games though, only the die hards in the building.

I went out for 2 hours the score was 5-3, check my phone around 10 see tie game in the rain delay. Come home down 9-5 smh

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...spite_meeting_mets_blow_lead_and_fall_-2.html

[h1]Despite meeting, Mets blow lead and fall to Diamondbacks 9-5 at Shea[/h1]
By ROGER RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, June 11th 2008, 4:00 AM

alg_brianschneider.jpg
Cataffo/News
Brian Schneider and the Mets get blown away after squandering a 5-1 lead in Tuesday's loss to the D-backs.

amd_delgado.jpg
Simmons/News
Carlos Delgado strikes out as players fail to dent their own goal of 62 more wins.

amd_johnmaine.jpg
Cataffo/News
John Maine and the Mets have lost five in a row.

Few grand plans have gotten off to a worse start than the Mets' new one did Tuesday night.

They haven't played like a playoff team, but the Mets still believe they are one. And Tuesday, before facing the Diamondbacks, the Mets players emerged from a brief players-only, closed-door meeting, each carrying a piece of paper with a blueprint for a future that includes the postseason.

No part of it included blowing a four-run lead and falling, 9-5, at Shea. Reliever Joe Smith surrendered a a go-ahead solo homer to Chris Snyder in the eighth and Duaner Sanchez coughed up three more runs in the ninth to complete the Mets' undoing.

One player allowed the Daily News a quick glance at the sheet, which looked a lot like a flow chart with a series of arrows. At the top was the team's record entering Tuesday night's game, 30-32. Near the bottom was a circled final regular-season record of 92-70.

Below that was an arrow pointing to a single word: "Playoffs."

The sheet also had several phrases and motivational messages. One said "We B4 I." Another read "team above self." A third message was "we have time."

Players asked about the meeting said the only matter discussed was players' union business, the reelection of Aaron Heilman as team representative. One who was asked about the sheet he held said, "It's a team matter. I'm not talking about it."

The Mets players seemed focused when they came out of their meeting and during the first innings of the game. Moises Alou returned from the DL and had a two-run single in a three-run first. David Wright had a two-run homer to make it 5-1 in the second. And John Maine was pitching well into the fifth.

It came undone quickly. Maine gave up a two-run homer before getting out of the fifth having thrown 101 pitches, and Claudio Vargas allowed a two-run single that tied it. After a 61-minute delay for a storm, during which Billy Wagner and Scott Schoeneweis helped the grounds crew secure the tarp, came the late-inning meltdown.

The D-Backs, who had lost 14 of 20 and prompted Mets manager Willie Randolph to say, "We're hoping they stay down for awhile and we can fatten up a little bit," hung a fifth straight loss on the staggering Mets.

"This is obviously a trying time for us," Wright said. "We have to get through it, keep our heads up and keep some positivity. Guys are hanging their heads.

"We need to dig down deep and make a stand. It won't take a week. It won't take a month. We have to do it over the next 99 games."

The Mets' program isn't exactly the one out of the comedy "Major League," a film in which a fictionalized version of the Indians mapped out a plot to win 32 games and make the playoffs. There is no villainous owner such as Rachel Phelps who the team is looking to expose with every win.

The Mets' plan to play .620 ball over the season's final 100 games is ambitious. It's a better clip than either the 2007 Rockies or Phillies, two of MLB's hottest finishers last season. And they are the only villains so far in this story, having played far below their potential.

"I still think this is going to be a good team," GM Omar Minaya said. "You can't allow yourself to succumb to the negativity that comes with what happened last year and the bad start this year....It's a mental test."

Alou gave no specifics about the team meeting when asked earlier about it but said, "Nobody's happy with what's going on here, but nobody has given up....We've got 100games left. A hundred games is a lot, so we have time to get our act together."

The Mets need to pick up the pace on that. There are only 99 left now.

graf_major.jpg

ESPN Radio just reported that Alou will sit out tonight, his calf muscle is bothering him again.
eyes.gif

Webb vs. Pelfrey...how much will the Mets lose by.

I predict a 5-2 loss.

Offense is going to look
sick.gif
tonight, but then again it looks
sick.gif
on most night's with this depleted lineup. They will never be at fullstrength, Mets need some damn youth.

.....and now you know why I've always been a Pelfrey supporter, his two fastballs are awesome and he still doesn't even have any polished secondarypitches yet.

The potential is there, Mets would be foolish to NOT stick with him.

hey guys , anybody going to the sat. nite game? i NEED that shea replica !!!
eek.gif
pimp.gif

i was gunna buy one that was handcarved from this sports shop at the local mall for $80 last week too

Who's blaming Willie? Wagner is the ****** giving up another bomb. I'm beginning to think this team is cursed this season, I've never seen anythinglike this.

Willie did the right thing after Pelf gave up the leadoff hitter.
S
M
F
H
!

SMFH!! i told my pops just joking, "watch pelfrey give up a hit, willie take him out, wags gives up a 3 run shot"
laugh.gif
it happens and pops gives me the stoneface while i give the stoneface towags.....im just speechless
frown.gif

My stomach is turning, I can't help but laugh.

I feel for Pelf, no run support all year, goes to the 9th inning pitching shut out ball....yet ANOTHER no decision.

I can't image what these Mets hitters must be thinking right now. They were hanging their heads last night, they probably have nothing left right now.

This game is OVER!
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom