[ Official N.Y. METS 2008 OFF-SEASON: MURPHY PERMANENT LEFT FIELDER ]

Originally Posted by briannnnn

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

Originally Posted by briannnnn

^^ Someone seems bitter

dude, why are you even in here? Of course he's bitter.... we're all %$%$%$ bitter.... damn

indifferent.gif

And you're giving me an attitude because? I don't act like this to Mets fans that troll Yankee threads.

Unless you're-dare I say-bitter?

laugh.gif
... yes I am bitter

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Wagner is a great closer, but lets be real......

If you're name is not Mariano or K-Rod, you do not have an extremely reliable option in pressure situations.

Hoffman leads baseball with the most saves but is the most over-rated closer of all time pitching in that peaceful city of SD, any time he has to close in a pressure situation its reynolds wrap for him.

Lidge? Please....let him rack up allthe saves he wants during the regular season, Pujols scarred dude for life come playoff time.
laugh.gif

You think Omar is going to open up his wallet for K-Rod this off season? He's the type of closer we desperately need.

Originally Posted by onewearz

gal_oldtimers-5.jpg

gal_oldtimers-6.jpg

we love you willie
roll.gif

roll.gif
is right. Yanks will probably hire him as a bench coach cause we allknow he can't manage to save his life, or his job.

Willie is a sound manager.

You guys (media, fans) just went head-hunting too early.

It's always the same old story in NY. Once it's decided that someone isn't doing their so-called job well enough, people abandon ship.

And then the boos come. And then the chants, the "you suck" signs, and radio callers demanding to get rid of the person follow.

I can already see it happening with Wags. One big blown save at home and the snowball will start rolling downhill.

It's like... people are not expected to struggle AT ALL in NY. Players and coaches are unfairly expected to deliver EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

With all that said, I was never a fan of Wags. But he's definitely been better for us than Benitez, Looper, etc....

I dont think any of that was directed at you True Blue, I think it was Briann who hates the Mets as much as I hate the Yanks.
laugh.gif

But real talk, yesterday was just a vent but I had to say it how it is b/c people want to complain about the pen's performance nightly nowadays, it isbeing over-worked just as it has been last season, and if nothing changes they will have a poor record come September just as last year.

They are only 2 games back but this is not a position they should be in, good teams don't blow 10 leads after 8 innings so far this year. I stated beforethis series that HOU is never an easy place to play, but at some point the pen needs to step up. Its hard to believe this 2nd straight series loss is only the2nd in over a month and a half.

You think Omar is going to open up his wallet for K-Rod this off season? He's the type of closer we desperately need.

K-Rod is 26 years old, and is as good as it gets (not a 2 pitch close like Wags). He should be the # 1 priority for the Mets, NUMBER ONE!, especially with Wagsconsidering retirement.

Mets need to stop pretending that money is an issue, if the best available option is there you take it cause we all damn know that trades are not a possibilityright now.

This could quite possibly be the most active off-season for this team that I can remember, Omar learned his lesson about signing old-injury plagued people.Pedro is gone, Gado will most likely be gone (not because of his production, but time to move on), Castillo needs to be waived, Alou is lonnng gone, Duque islol (good riddance). I wouldn't even be surprised if Omar went after a different catcher.

There is no way Ollie is NOT re-signed, and the Mets will have to add another starting pitcher and some relief help.

As for today's game Mr. Wolf pitches, the same way pitchers like Arroyo and Cy Kuo shut the Mets down regardless of how poor they are....hope he getsrocked for a change.

gal_oldtimers-5.jpg

Wow, what a joke.
laugh.gif

all negativity aside....this is what I have enjoyed seeing lately.

[h2]August 3, 2008[/h2]
[h2]Mets promote closer Eddie Kunz[/h2]

More youth is on the way. Surfing the Mets has learned that Binghamton closer Eddie Kunz has been promoted the Mets, joining a sudden youth movement with Nick Evans, Argenis Reyes and Daniel Murphy. Kunz, the Mets' top pick (42nd overall) in the 2007 draft out of Oregon State, is 1-4 with a 2.79 ERA and 27 saves at Double-A Binghamton.

[h2]August 2, 2008[/h2]
[h2]Manuel: Murphy & Evans to platoon in left[/h2]

Plenty of pregame tidbits:

• Jerry Manuel said he plans to use Daniel Murphy and Nick Evans as a virtual platoon in left field for the time being, with Fernando Tatis the regular right fielder and Endy Chavez moving to fourth outfielder/defensive replacement. Murphy played left field on a limited basis this year, and played right field for a season and a half at Jacksonville University. He shouldn't play much infield with the Mets. Evans should start Sunday against Randy Wolf.

Kunz is our future closer drafted out of college and closed big games in the College world series, he can be effective in the major leagues with some time(he's a 6'5 270lb power arm). Let Heilman rest for a couple of days and throw Kunz in for the 8th inning RIGHT AWAY (Duaner 7th). He has 27 saves andNO HOMERUNS.

Youth movement.
pimp.gif

I'm excited about the young guys being moved up, and with that being said I don't think Omar is going to sign a reliable 5th starter next year. I thinkhe may just go with Pedro for another year or some other back end of the rotation guy to probably pitch a couple of starts and then disappear when Niese isready, which could very well be next year.

I take it Muniz was sent down to replace Kunz.

And how do you guys feel about us going after Saltalamachia or Laird in the off season? Texas is going to want to move one of them and they are both betteroptions then what we have right now.

There is absolutely no way Pedro re-signs next season, ZERO percent chance. Mets will stay with Santana, Pelfrey, Maine, re-sign Ollie Perez, and get anothergood pitcher, just look at the FA's.

Starting Pitchers
Kris Benson PHI
A.J. Burnett TOR (may opt out)
Paul Byrd CLE
Ryan Dempster CHC
Jon Garland LAA
Tom Glavine ATL
Mike Hampton * ATL
Rich Harden * CHC
Orlando Hernandez NYM
Jason Jennings TEX
Randy Johnson ARZ
John Lackey * LAA
Esteban Loaiza CHW
Braden Looper STL
Derek Lowe LAD
Pedro Martinez NYM
Mike Mussina NYY
Jamie Moyer PHI
Mark Mulder * STL
Carl Pavano NYY
Brad Penny * LAD
Odalis Perez WAS
Oliver Perez NYM
Andy Pettitte NYY
Mark Prior SD
Horatio Ramirez KC
C.C. Sabathia MIL
Ben Sheets MIL
John Smoltz * ATL
Julian Tavarez ATL
Steve Trachsel BAL
Brett Tomko SD
Claudio Vargas MIL
Randy Wolf HOU

You know MIL cannot resign both CC and Sheets, so teams will be in a bidding war for one of those 2 (that's if the Mets want a to 2 starter which would bea very good move IMO). Imagine the Mets with a REAL #2 shutdown starter in this rotation alongside Santana, then Pelfrey #3 with Ollie/Maine in the back?That's just sickening
eek.gif

Omar made it known that he is committed to focusing on the farm now and getting young by not making any trades a few days ago, and filling some holes such ascloser/middle relief/bats via Free Agency.

Here is some more information on Kunz for some of you.

From Metsprospectus.com:

"The Mets first pick of the 2007 draft, Eddie Kunz, was deemed the aire to the closers role by many, and was even mentored by Mets current closer Billy Wagner. A weird mix, as Kunz, unlike Wagner, is a huge guy at 6'5 265, and relies on groundballs rather than the strikeout. Kunz's bread and butter is his sinker which he throws consistently at 94-96 MPH. He also throws a decent changeup, and a slider, which at times is an overpowering pitch. The Mets put him on the quick route to the majors putting him in Binghamton this year and he's responded by closing 24 games, which is near the top in the Eastern League. The one thing Kunz has to continue to work on his control, it was a problem in Brooklyn last year, and it's continued to be a problem this year in Binghamton."

He hasn;t given up a HR in 4 years.
eek.gif

I didn't know Lackey was a free agent, I would throw the world at him. He would be perfect for the Mets. CC is going to stay put I rthink, I think he likesit there. And Idk if I want Sheets because of his injury problems, but if he doesn't get carried away I'll take him. Number 1 priority will be to getK-Rod and Lackey.

Mez, I came into the thread the other night with good intentions, seriously
laugh.gif

Honestly, you guys should go after K-Rod in the offseason...What Mets contracts are expiring this offseason?

I don't know if Willie will manage again, but I see the Yankees bringing him back as a 3B coach; Yankees' 3B coach Bobby Meacham has had some LuisAguayo-esque moments...

All gravy, I was disturbed for the 1st time all season last night, ruined my night to be honest with ya because the pen looks to be headed in the samedirection as last season. Hopefully the young fresh arms can make an impact this season and change things, because the Mets overall are still in a decentsituation.

Mets free agents include: Oliver Perez (4.8M), Pedro ($11M), El Duque (6.5M), Alou (7.5M), Delgado (16M), Luis Castillo (4yr $25M deal and needs to be waivedasap). No hate on Castillo, but this team is headed in a younger directions and he can't move laterally with those knees.

per rotoworld:

Mets placed RHP John Maine on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to July 29, with a strained right rotator cuff. This is the right move for the Mets. Giving Maine a full two weeks off to deal with his minor shoulder issue makes a lot more sense than trying to rush him back. The team could call up Claudio Vargas to start Friday. Aug. 3 - 1:31 pm et

hey opposition, you wanna make sure you give up no runs against the Mets? Just load up the bases!!! We have got to have the worst average in baseball when thebases are loaded and less than 2 outs. They have been doing that since the late 80's word to phife dawg.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

1 for 10 w/RISP and 11 LOB just ain't gonna cut it.
smh.gif
Yeah, the offense and the bullpen is really in a funk. This month we play a bunch of teams below .500 so hopefully we catch fire and just go on a rolllike that before the all star break.

Originally Posted by youngin33

Originally Posted by SHUGES

1 for 10 w/RISP and 11 LOB just ain't gonna cut it.
smh.gif
Yeah, the offense and the bullpen is really in a funk. This month we play a bunch of teams below .500 so hopefully we catch fire and just go on a roll like that before the all star break.

Problem with that is we tend to play down to teams a lot which could make this a dangerous month.

^^^^I hear that, but no excuses. If we are a playoff team, we should beat up on those teams and if not, we are simply just as good(or bad) as them anddon't deserve to compete in October.

Its whatever, poor road trip winning only 1 out of 6 games (won the two previous series and then lose the next 2 series). I knew the Astros series would bedifficult, but get swept? Its not just the pen, the Mets were outplayed in every aspect of the game. Nice to see Kunz though and Murphy up though.

Its been a weird season, we used to tear up teams on the road and stink at home, now they have a good home record and average road record (few games below.500).

Mets need to handle their business at home.

Back
Top Bottom