Official Nintendo Thread Vol: DSi (includes $10 in points free!) available today!

Some impressions by darklordjames at AVS...

Gmail runs out of memory, but then gives you an option for Gmail Basic, which looks the same, but is pure HTML. That loads up and operates fantastic. AVS has too many damn ads and plug-ins to be usable by default. Turning off imaging loading makes it a bit better, but it is still slow. There is an option for "column view" that makes Opera try as hard as possible to fit any text to the width of the screen, reducing the need for horizontal scrolling, which does work well on AVS. Column View then also let's you change text to Small from the default of Large, which is far nicer to work with. Overall, my initial impression tells me that Opera works about as well on this thing as it does on my Wii or on my Windows Mobile phone (HTC Touch Diamond). Great for a mobile device, but I'd rather be using Chrome on my PC.

Pictochat is the same, and looks rather odd going in to it. Transferring from the very "Wii" main menu to the 5 year old "DS Phat" style interface is a little jarring. Same with Download Play. Selecting it from the DSi menu actually brings you in to the DS Lite menu, showing that the firmware really is the same as what the DS Lite runs, it's just that the DSi loads up a "Wii-like" frontend app by default, instead of going to the DS Lite menu. Again, a little jarring.

The Settings menu is the exact same as the Wii's.

DSi Shop is the same as the Wii Shop Channel.

The cameras are good enough. They are like regular 640x480 cellphone cameras, but with better processing and software behind them than you find on phones normally. As devices available for use in games, they will serve their purpose just fine. They are also perfectly suited for use as cameras for taking pictures to post on your social networking site of choice. They handle in-door low-light better than one would expect. Good enough.

The matte surface is nice. Better than my launch DS Lite's gloss surface, and just as good as my red/black Lite's black parts.

The screens are far nicer. A little bigger, but they also obviously have a bit nicer response time. Comparing New Super Mario Bros on both machines (using two copies for simultaneous comparison) the world blurs just a little less when running sideways in the DSi. Color shift when not looking directly at the screen is also much improved.

Audio is a little better on the DSi. Not quite as sharp, with a little better bass response. It won't change your audio world or anything, but it is a bit nicer.

The status LEDs are brighter, and not in a good way. They are still diffuse, but brighter than I would like them to be. Damn the person that invented the blue LED!

so me and my very good friend brandon (nctwin) went to the official launch event at universal city walk hosted by nintendo and gamestop. it was actually prettydope! i pre-ordered it again because i was able to get drawn into a piece of nintendo artwork and a limited edition shirt. I only put $30 down at my homegamestop so I figured I will just go get that back. the best part of the night was getting that artwork piece drawn, it was on a nice poster board and i willbe getting it framed. we got some cool free swagg, extra limited edition shirts, mario and yoshi gummi bears, dsi buttons, extra stylus pens, a dsi headset.and we also got to put on mario and luigi hats and hold big plush mushrooms and they took a digital photo and gave it to me. i am so happy with this unit, thematte finish really makes a difference. the wi-fi was easy to set up, i had it linked up in my apartment in about 7 mins, the browser was pretty fast to. andrhythm heaven is a game you guys should own btw.

2e0ldtc.jpg

2qu67o2.jpg

BTW, shay is on twitter... FOLLOW me and I will FOLLOW you.
twitter.com/stillmaticshay

also got an update on my blog for the dsi launch event.
Thank you.

Yo... stillmatic..

hows the system wallet?
i was thinking of picking it up today when i got my dsi.. but i ended up passing.. :/
does it protect it well?

Yo... stillmatic..

hows the system wallet?
i was thinking of picking it up today when i got my dsi.. but i ended up passing.. :/
does it protect it well?

hey, just call me shay
wink.gif

system wallet is really nice, it fits the unit nice and tight, and you can store 4 games, one in the unit, and 3 in the compartments. I am glad I got it. I noticed that best buy had the cheapest price on it btw. It was $9.99, gamestop had it for $12.99. I would highly recommend it for those who don't want the mad katz bullet proof briefcase styles
laugh.gif
but still want to be able to carry a few games and protect the system.

Originally Posted by stillmaticshay

Yo... stillmatic..

hows the system wallet?
does it protect it well?
lol.. aight shay.. cool...
smile.gif

and yea.. thats the main reason i wanted it, i hate those humongous laptop size cases.. i was looking for a sleeve type case or a wallet like this...
but good looks on the heads up.. i got a best buy not too far from school, i might swing by and pick this up tomorrow..
dont want my sexy dsi getting all scratched up just yet...
wink.gif

SHAY!

Looks like you had a good time! And nice pickups!
pimp.gif

yeah i sure did...
wink.gif
i put a pic withMario and i on my twitter... make sure you peep me if you are on there narnum, follow me and i will follow you. and on my blog there are a couple more picsthat i did not put here.
smile.gif

i bought one the day before, i can't wait for my flashcart update so i can run backups and movies on it
devil.gif

depends, you're gonna be amazed by what it can do, well i think it's worth copping. i suggest you trade in your ds lite.

Back
Top Bottom