Official Oklahoma City Thunder OFFSEASON 2013-2014 Thread **NEW TEAM,

Hey_

Dat Reggie Jackson.

Really like what I saw from the Russ/Reggie back court tonight.

My dude Serge picked it up after a slow start too.

Julius F. Wrek

Missed the game tonight. I was in OKC shopping, ended up there all day, would have gone if I had planned ahead and bought a ticket. Anyways, yes Reggie is becoming that dude but Fisher is cutting into his minutes

Anyways, yes Reggie is becoming that dude but Fisher is cutting into his minutes
yup..

i dont think i will ever understand brooks.. it should be fairly easy to dish out mins given everyone's strengths on the team

obviously russ and KD should get around 35 mins per.. but with russ he should get about 10-12 of those mins playing off the ball (which would allow more mins for reggie.. and the reggie/russ due)

KD should see some time at PF.. the amount of time at that spot, should depend on the opponent

martin should never see time at the SF spot, unless it's to hide him on defense there

fisher should only play if it's a blowout or we have an injury to russ/reggie.. and i guess since brooks wants to play him as a SG i should name thabo/martin/lamb too

JJ Hickson... or in otherwise a vet who is a known quantity. We have like 47 picks in next yr's draft. I have seen some mock boards have us looking at Gobert though, decently athletic, skinny 7'2 French kid.

And I was disappointed to read that KD essentially kept Scott Brooks in town. Brooks was about to take the Blazer's job

And I was disappointed to read that KD essentially kept Scott Brooks in town. Brooks was about to take the Blazer's job
yea i saw that.. kd is a little too loyal for his own good

for those who havent: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-thu...-the-portland-trail- blazers/article/3770823/

also this on martin: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-thu...gency-fitting-in-with-thunder/article/3771027

also read about how interested we were in gobert somewhere yesterday when looking up draft stuff..

but i can see us going any number of ways.. wouldnt mind alex len, burke or muhammad.. not sure how i feel about oladipo or harris..

if we can get into range and he somehow goes out of the top 3, mclemore is obviously the best fit

also we really only have the 3 this year, draft pick wise (PROBABLY the toronto pick, our own first and the bobcats 2nd)

since the dallas pick is top 20 protected until 2017, then it's unprotected in 2018

Hey_

Had a headache and didn't watch the game last night,

but I kept tabs on it using the NBA Gametime app.

So glad I didn't watch this travesty.

Julius F. Wrek

Perk got SLAUGHTERED by Pek again (22 and 15 to 2 and 5) and for some reason, Brooks bneched Westbrook for the first like 7 minutes of the 4th to get Fisher minutes. Even Westbrook's brother went in on him ( https://twitter.com/bigray4 ) Fisher did make 1 shot last night though, thus bringing him to 1 for 23 in his last 7 games yet somehow we still got 15 minutes for him every night and none for Brewer, Lamb, Liggins, and cutting into Reggie Jackson's to create those 15.

By the way, I think only 1 other of us lives in Oklahoma but I am hosting a watch party for charity on Friday to raise money for Fort Sill Soldier Family Assistance Center (Wounded Warriors Unit) during the Pacers game at Central Mall in Lawton, White Buffalo restaurant., I got playoff tickets, 3 autographed basketball, tons of auto'd photos and other things to sell and auction and 100% of the money goes to them.

^ nice.. But I'm in the Bahamas 

i really wonder what has to happen for us to fire brooks.. Would love brad Stevens.. My only problem with presti is he seems like a kinda stubborn dude, but that might be more so due to brooks..

I'm sure fisher was just meant to be a glorified insurance policy as a 3rd PG if either Westbrook or Jackson went down 

Last edited:
I think if we go out in the 1st rd, definitely at least Brooks is gone but that's very unlikely. If we lose in the 2nd rd, maybe but only if it's like a 5 gamer, because I think some in the organization might give him the benefit of the doubt like, "yea the Harden trade happened so he played the hand he was dealt, BY THE CBA," which would also absolve Presti of any blame.

So I either want us to win it all, or lose in embarrassing enough fashion changes are forced to be made.

Brooks has to go if they don't make the finals. (Which I really don't think they'll make)

But since OKC management is cheap, what type of coach would y'all expect?

I swear to god the triangle offense would be perfect for this team, it'd shut down the isolation ball Russ and Dursnt play. Phil Jackson would be perfect. But I highly doubt he'd went to live in OKC, who knows tho. He is from Montana, maybe he wouldn't care. It'd be great tho, that would be the ultimate troll move.

Last edited:
Honestly, I got OKC getting upseted the second round of the playoffs. They just do not have what it takes anymore. They have a go to set that is ran ALL THE TIME. Any team with a size threat can and will cook them up. Changes need to be made or they'll lose kd and Westbrook somewhere down the line. When that happens....... Bobcat status

Hey_

This standard of play after the break is unacceptable,

I'd be fine with not making the finals this year.

Brooks has gotta go though.

Julius F. Wrek

Brooks has to go if they don't make the finals. (Which I really don't think they'll make)

But since OKC management is cheap, what type of coach would y'all expect?

I swear to god the triangle offense would be perfect for this team, it'd shut down the isolation ball Russ and Dursnt play. Phil Jackson would be perfect. But I highly doubt he'd went to live in OKC, who knows tho. He is from Montana, maybe he wouldn't care. It'd be great tho, that would be the ultimate troll move.

I think he wanted to coach this team this yr. I remember reading the "what would it take to bring you out of retirement" interview this summer and literally every single thing fit OKC to a t. Even his Montana ranch, that's ~2 hour flight. Problem is, our ownership was obviously never going to give him 10 mil a yr plus Presti seems very concerned with proving a championship can be won "the Thunder way," as opposed to the kind of more common way of hiring big name coaches and making massive, blockbuster trades for big names. Like I literally think if you offered him Dwight Howard for Daniel Orton, he'd say no just because that's not how he wants to win it.

As for who we go after if we fire Scottie, don't know. Sloan, I like the Van Gundy's but the NBA hates them and it'd ruin our ref mojo. Larry Brown would be a terrible choice but he'd take the job I think. They'd probably bring in a young guy, or a college guy.

And I don't think Ibaka or Perkins have the ball skills or IQ to run the triangle. If you close on Ibaka, he's pretty much useless but if he catches and shoots with minimal thinking, it's money. And the less Perkins touches the ball on offense, the better, although he does pass decently well from the high post.

westbrookokie.gif

I think he wanted to coach this team this yr. I remember reading the "what would it take to bring you out of retirement" interview this summer and literally every single thing fit OKC to a t. Even his Montana ranch, that's ~2 hour flight. Problem is, our ownership was obviously never going to give him 10 mil a yr plus Presti seems very concerned with proving a championship can be won "the Thunder way," as opposed to the kind of more common way of hiring big name coaches and making massive, blockbuster trades for big names. Like I literally think if you offered him Dwight Howard for Daniel Orton, he'd say no just because that's not how he wants to win it.

As for who we go after if we fire Scottie, don't know. Sloan, I like the Van Gundy's but the NBA hates them and it'd ruin our ref mojo. Larry Brown would be a terrible choice but he'd take the job I think. They'd probably bring in a young guy, or a college guy.

And I don't think Ibaka or Perkins have the ball skills or IQ to run the triangle. If you close on Ibaka, he's pretty much useless but if he catches and shoots with minimal thinking, it's money. And the less Perkins touches the ball on offense, the better, although he does pass decently well from the high post.

If the championship needs to be won the thunder way, wouldn't that eliminate Brown, Van Gundy, and Sloan as well?

I don't know, yet to be seen, but those guys certainly aren't big names the caliber of a Phil Jackson who would seem like almost buying a championship kinda like the 90-early 00s Cuban era Mavs, but again this is all my interpretation of Presti and his pattern of moves. We'll have to see how it plays out. He might bring in a college coach, maybe an assistant, maybe go for the sentimental move and bring in Capel or Sampson, or what might be even more likely to happen is no matter what failure we achieve, it is all blamed on James Harden who just had to have his max and.or the CBA.

It's a huge argument on the Thunder boards, everyone hates Harden because he just had to have his max (and hilariously complain about his flopping and ft totals), his 2 million dollars more (in the case of the Thunder anyways, obviously going to Houston he got 85 mil because they had a 5yr max available and we used our's on Westbrook already), couldn't he just take 2 million less? He'd still be rich. Of course I bring up Bennett and them are billionaires with a b so by the same token they could more than James afford to pay the 2 million, but nobody digs that argument.

I don't do good on team boards because I am a fan, but I'm not an insufferable homer and remain objective on things and can admit we gets calls, or that other teams have good players, etc.

Hey_

I don't do good on team boards because I am a fan, but I'm not an insufferable homer and remain objective on things and can admit we gets calls, or that other teams have good players, etc.

Which is why I haven't registered with DT.

Julius F. Wrek

It's alright though. I met a few of them in person but other than that I don't take any of them very seriously

Last edited:
[h1]http://dailythunder.com/2013/04/a-quick-sneak-peek-at-the-thunders-likely-lottery-pick/[/h1][h1] [/h1][h1]A peek at the Thunder’s (likely) lottery pick[/h1]
by Royce Young on April 2, 2013 at 2:30 pm 152 Comment

post content

Getty Images

Four days off, so let’s talk draft for a second.

With the Toronto Raptors officially being eliminated from the playoffs last night and them tied for having the seventh worst record in the league, the Thunder are closer to being assured of their lottery pick, acquired in the James Harden trade.

But it’s no guarantee.

The pick is top three protected, as well as 15-30 protected. Since the Raptors are out of the playoffs, you can forget the 15-30 part. And with the Raptors currently being tied for seventh worst (with the Kings), it means they have a 4.3 percent chance of landing the top pick. If they drop to eighth worst, then it’s just a 2.8 percent chance and ninth worst is 1.7 percent.

For reference, let’s say the Raptors finish with the seventh worst record. Here’s where the ping-pong balls are likely to fall for them:
  • 1: 4.3 percent
  • 2: 4.9 percent
  • 3: 5.8 percent
  • 4: Can’t get it
  • 5: Can’t get it
  • 6: Can’t get it
  • 7: 59.9 percent
  • 8: 23.3 percent
  • 9: 1.8 percent
And then 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 would be zero percent. The seventh worst record has won the lottery twice, the eighth and ninth worst have each won it once. So it’s still actually no certainty the Thunder will be getting to use that pick this season. We won’t really know until the ping-pong balls are settled.

(For reference: If the pick falls in the top three, it then rolls over to next season where it would then be top two protected for 2014 and 2015. It’s then only protected for No. 1 overall in 2016 and 2017, then is unprotected in 2018.)

But the most likely position, based on today, would be picking No. 7 or No. 8. And here are who the big boards and mocks would have available between the seven and 12 spots:
  • Draft Express: Trey Burke, Otto Porter, Shabazz Muhammad, Rudy Gobert, Alex Len, Michael Carter-Williams
  • NBA Draft: Trey Burke, Shabazz Muhammad, Cody Zeller, Victor Oladipo, Kelly Olynyk, Michael Carter-Williams
  • CBSSports.com: Shabazz Muhammad, Alex Len, Marcus Smart, Victor Oladipo, Isiah Austin, Rudy Gobert
  • ESPN.com: Shabazz Muhammad, Cody Zeller, Trey Burke, Gary Harris, Alex Len, C.J. McCollum
  • SB Nation: Michael Carter-Williams, Ben McLemore, Anthony Bennett, Rudy Gobert, Alex Len, Kelly Olynyk
  • HoopsWorld: Cody Zeller, Kelly Olynyk, Michael Carter-Williams, Anthony Bennett, Alex Len, Mason Plumlee
Obviously, any talk about a pick comes with the disclaimer: Don’t get too excited about this because knowing what we know, this player might be spending most of next season in Tulsa anyway. As one person wisely cracked to me on Twitter, David Stern should probably hand whoever OKC picks a 66ers jersey.

But for the Thunder, a team that is pretty much fully stocked already, who they go with is probably going to be a question of need. There’s a feeling OKC will go big with the pick because of the future with Kendrick Perkins (deal expires in 2015, could be amnestied) and Nick Collison (32 years old, deal expires in 2015). And in this new collective bargaining agreement world, there’s nothing more valuable than a quality contributor on a rookie scale deal. Which in the Thunder’s case, there may be a hole to be filled inside soon and if they could land a big man to do it and have the bonus of them being on a rookie deal, that would be a home run.

But, the Thunder don’t have a great history with drafting bigs (hello, Cole Aldrich) and there’s always the unknown of Tibor Pleiss who is performing well in Spain currently. Or there’s the fact the league is moving a bit more towards smallball and speed, so Serge Ibaka may end up being OKC’s starting center of the future.

There’s Alex Len, a physically imposing seven-footer that had a frustratingly inconsistent season at Maryland. There’s Rudy Gobert, a seven-foot French center, and a player Sam Presti has scouted in person. There’s Kelly Olynyk, a high energy seven-footer (reminds me a touch of Joakim Noah, honestly). Or there’s Cody Zeller, a fairly polarizing seven-footer who has No. 1 overall pick buzz, but still doesn’t seem to be even close to a sure thing.

So, outside of a big, what else could the Thunder need? Thabo Sefolosha’s deal will expire after the 2014 season, meaning OKC might just have one more year with him. There’s a chance he’ll be re-signed, but with Kevin Martin potentially walking in the offseason, shooting guard could become a big hole for OKC. There’s Jeremy Lamb, who still seems to fit into the puzzle, but depth could be an issue.

Would OKC go with Shabazz Muhammad, a Harden lookalike, except for the way he actually plays? Muhammad has the look of a potentially gifted scorer, but he doesn’t pass and strikes me as the kind of player that wants to be what Harden is now, not what he was when playing with the Thunder.

What about Oladipo, a 6-5 defensive stud that plays with smarts, athleticism and energy? He’s not quite as long as Thabo, but he has the look of a potential elite NBA wing defender.

There’s Marcus Smart, a gifted combo guard that can handle, create and score. There’s Michael Carter-Williams, who has played point guard this season, but has the makings of a smooth NBA combo player.

So, there are a lot of directions to go, a lot of options. This draft seems to have most feeling a bit lukewarm with the talent, but there are always gems littered throughout, and it’s more often about how the player develops with his team than the actual existing talent of the player anyway.

But first thing’s first for the Thunder: They actually have to get that pick. We’ll know for sure when the ping-pong balls get drawn May 21.

Busy next few days of Thunderin' up for me. I will be at tonight's Spurs game in the Summit Box, then tomorrow is my party for charity, then Sunday we are going to the Knicks game then Kendrick Perkins and his wife are hosting a hair fashion show of some type she wants to go to.

Hey_

I'm all for scouting prospects for the draft,

but its all for naught if Brooks is still the coach.

Julius F. Wrek

Back
Top Bottom