***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Dems need to run ads with Capitol Police airing their grievances during the 2022 midterms

On the one hand I agree with you, but on the other I can’t really envision the type of person for whom that would be the tipping point.

I am a little disappointed that we aren’t still seeing footage of the milquetoast militia every single day. We need to give that the never forget treatment.

Immigration, like most issues in our politics, is debated with increasing ferocity and acrimony but it’s debated within the lines of mutually agreed upon, bipartisan assumptions.

The bipartisan consensus on immigration policy rests on the assumption that the state has a perfectly legitimate right to use force to control the movement of people into the country and that movement should be based on American interests. That definition is a bit vague but usually national interests boil down to whatever the most powerful interests in a country say it is. In the case of the US, capital dominates the discussion and policy choices on national interests and therefore dominate parameters of the immigration debate. But capital is not the only interest group with a say and capital can’t quite find unanimity on this issue either.

While small holder capitalists want a criminalized underclass of migrant workers, who are never to be integrated into the broader society, large corporations and the super wealthy want an orderly guest worker program where the workers can integrate into the broader American society. Obviously, the latter is better but both are pretty bad since immigrants’ rights are wholly depend on being valuable to capital. That’s the dominant, bipartisan consensus in the US.

While Capital sets the broad parameters of immigration policy. There’s variation within those parameters and the variation has grown over the last 30 years. Most diaspora communities and the big capitalists are Democrats and the former wants a genuinely more inclusive immigration policy and the latter want an exploitive immigration policy so we get a synthesis which is a mostly business centric policy expanded worker visas but with notable refugee and family reunification carve outs. Meanwhile the GOP policy is a synthesis of smaller capitalists and white nationalists and it will unofficially allow migrant workers in to be criminalized and hyper exploited but it seeks to eliminate refugee and family unification carveouts for anyone who is not white.

So differences do exist and they are worth fighting for but let’s also be realistic about how much both parties have in common in this issue and others.

On the one hand I agree with you, but on the other I can’t really envision the type of person for whom that would be the tipping point.

I am a little disappointed that we aren’t still seeing footage of the milquetoast militia every single day. We need to give that the never forget treatment.
Agreed with second paragraph. Democrats buy too much into the "let's not push the divisive rethoric" tactic the GOP uses when they **** up. Republicans don't have same considerations, and they would gladly play the images of Jan 6th daily if Democrats had led the charge.

The military doesn't know where 25 of its mortars are...
tenor.gif

Robinette, brah, please find them.

gnar-rondo.png

MTG is absolutely one of the dumbest politicians of my lifetime. She makes Dubya look like a MENSA member
After seeing how Boris Johnson acts dumb as a political strategy, I kinda think Bush was faking being a goof, or something happened to him.

In 2000 people were joking mans was an idiot because of how inarticulate he was. But in 1994 when running for Governor he was much more articulate...

Maybe that was an outlier and he has always been a goofball, because if it was an act he was damn committed.

MTG is a legit idiot

hindsight is 20/20 but prob should have started with this instead of the

pass HR1 and call joe manchin a racist until he votes for it strategy

Back
Top Bottom