***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Only TF-1000s I rocking with are the joints from 15 years ago. Not the current ones.

Spalding ruin the GOAT composite ball.

Its all about the Wilson balls now and Nike releases good balls every few years. My friend had one from 2008 which was my favorite one.

I like how the same folks who went to top colleges for free or cheap and then given jobs over their station station are like "you need 10 years experience, and two more degrees, please go incur this heavy debt that I didn't so you can get this job". Say anything about it - "pshhh, millenials"

Don't fully understand this motive where theres a ton of vacant PROPERTIES & LAND to build off of. Mad cities between LA and Vegas that are nowhere near full capacity. It gets me when I hear "we're over crowded."

Its the major cities that are over crowded. Not everywhere. Everywhere isnt desirable but living outside of major cities isnt impossible.

The focus should be attracting/investing/growing in those outer cities not packing more people in the cities that are already packed.

Don't fully understand this motive where theres a ton of vacant PROPERTIES & LAND to build off of. Mad cities between LA and Vegas that are nowhere near full capacity. It gets me when I hear "we're over crowded."

Its the major cities that are over crowded. Not everywhere. Everywhere isnt desirable but living outside of major cities isnt impossible.

The focus should be attracting/investing/growing in those outer cities not packing more people in the cities that are already packed.

unfortunately LA/SoCal in general has really crappy public transportation (especially compared to like NYC or CHI) and the area is sprawling so the majority of folks have to live close to work (assuming people work in or around the city center) or the alternative is making hours long commutes sitting in traffic.

I have friends who moved out to Corona/the IE after college in a brand new housing development and work in Irvine. 30 miles turns into a 1 hour+ drive :sick:

More suburban sprawl is a bad idea for so many reasons

The point of this is that there is less space to build in cities, not just because of a scarcity of land, but because of laws that artificially restrict where housing can be built, and what type of housing.

Having denser cities benefits damn near everyone.

Also, this affects the suburbs too. Because many banning were a way to keep the housing supply low in suburbs as well.

America's housing laws are trash, this is a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
unfortunately LA/SoCal in general has really crappy public transportation (especially compared to like NYC or CHI) and the area is sprawling so the majority of folks have to live close to work (assuming people work in or around the city center) or the alternative is making hours long commutes sitting in traffic.

I have friends who moved out to Corona/the IE after college in a brand new housing development and work in Irvine. 30 miles turns into a 1 hour+ drive :sick:
😖 ouch. (LoL) I partially work for the major transportation system in LA. I want to say its "schedule C" or the plan after, is to allow commuters to travel from surrounding counties into to the inner City. Slowly but surely LA public system will be just as massive compared to the other major cities in the nation.

Yea that drive sucks. Hopefully we start seeing bigger, better paying, & more attractive companies towards that direction.

More suburban sprawl is a bad idea for so many reasons

The point of this is that there is less space to build in cities, not just because of a scarcity of land, but because of laws that artificially restrict where housing can be built, and what type of housing.

Having denser cities benefits damn near everyone.

Also, this affects the suburbs too. Because many duplexes were a way to keep the housing supply low in suburbs as well.

America's housing laws are trash, this is a step in the right direction.
Yea, suburban sprawl isnt the best approach. We're somewhat living from those results from that approach already.

I understand building codes/laws restrict certain developments for new housing but that shouldnt stop current/already built cities from growing.

Why arent they growing? Lack of attracted means to be there.

There are 3.9 million people in the county of LA. Approx. 8,400 per sq mile. If LA became more dense, how would it help?

Btw
Not looking to internet argue, just looking to get a clearer understanding from your point of view.

😖 ouch. (LoL) I partially work for the major transportation system in LA. I want to say its "schedule C" or the plan after, is to allow commuters to travel from surrounding counties into to the inner City. Slowly but surely LA public system will be just as massive compared to the other major cities in the nation.

Yea that drive sucks. Hopefully we start seeing bigger, better paying, & more attractive companies towards that direction.

ah hah thank you for your service then? Lol. I live in the South Bay so there’s a drive just to get to the nearest metro station, or the alternative is to take the silver line buses if I want to get downtown. Driving will always be options 1, 2, and 3 if you have the means to. That’s another thing, some folks don’t have cars or can’t drive/don’t have licenses etc.

the blowup of the metro system county/greater LA area wide has always been the dream and hopefully we get it within my lifetime lol

Yea, suburban sprawl isnt the best approach. We're somewhat living from those results from that approach already.

I understand building codes/laws restrict certain developments for new housing but that shouldnt stop current/already built cities from growing.

it literally does tho, if you can't build more houses it means supply doesn't meet demand which increases costs,
the costs have finally gotten high enough that it's inhibiting growth.

the major cities have been growing pretty rapidly, they aren't building enough housing to keep up with supply so prices are spiraling out of control.

There are 3.9 million people in the county of LA. Approx. 8,400 per sq mile. If LA became more dense, how would it help?

There would be more affordable housing, less homeless people, a lower carbon footprint, and a more efficient economy.

LA is not very dense when compared to major western European cities and way way way way less dense than Asian major cities.

The housing thing looks good on the surface but the ppl still have to put faith in developers building for the folks that need it the most, which I’ve never seen any evidence of

But more options is always good so we’ll see how it plays out in the long run …And public transportation is terrible in most places in this country so isolating ppl in the middle of nowhere is def not the answer, you’ll just end up with West VA / New Mexico style meth towns after a few years

people complain about "luxury condos" when in reality nothing about most of these condos are "luxury."

cities have gotten so expensive, that you don't need to compete on the quality of the actual condos,
you're competing on you ability to wade through regulations, and mountains of red tap and fight local communities to build anything.

and when you finally get it built, you just slap the word "luxury" and sell 700 square feet of concrete and drywall for 900k

people complain about "luxury condos" when in reality nothing about most of these condos are "luxury."

cities have gotten so expensive, that you don't need to compete on the quality of the actual condos,
you're competing on you ability to wade through regulations, and mountains of red tap and fight local communities to build anything.

and when you finally get it built, you just slap the word "luxury" and sell 700 square feet of concrete and drywall for 900k
That’s the whole point tho, they build whatever and put luxury on it and tax…you just said the same thing as the ppl with the complaints :lol:

Very few developers build affordable or even “regular” housing anymore…Go to any city and all the new buildings have the exact same names, changing the laws is good but now somebody has to actually put some thing up with reasonable rent n it’s been a while since that’s been the case

That’s the whole point tho, they build whatever and put luxury on it and tax…you just said the same thing as the ppl with the complaints :lol:

Very few developers build affordable or even “regular” housing anymore…Go to any city and all the new buildings have the exact same names, changing the laws is good but now somebody has to actually put some thing up with reasonable rent n it’s been a while since that’s been the case

yah but my point is you eliminate the scarcity of supply. and developers compete on that quality of the housing,

you'll get more diversity in the housing stock, some affordable, some luxury.

yah but my point is you eliminate the scarcity of supply. and developers compete on that quality of the housing,

We’ll see what happens…I been around long enough to know the almighty dollar rules everything n that leads to rarely caring about ppl with lil to no money so I’m skeptical of your premise, but hope I’m wrong

Btw
Not looking to internet argue, just looking to get a clearer understanding from your point of view.
-Cities can't grow without new housing. More units constantly have to be built for two main reasons

a) To handle the inward migration
b) To handle the natural increase in demand from people aging into renting and homebuying age.

People have to move into a city for it to keep thriving. If a company wants to move to the area, where are the new workers they attract suppose to live? If a company attracting high-paid workers, they will just outbid locals for housing and if you don't have enough housing units to accommodate everyone, you get storage of housing supply and you get.....a homelessness crisis. In urban economics there is actually a calculated tipping point where the median cost of housing exceeds a certain level of monthly income, you see homelessness skyrocketing.

So if LA wants new businesses to come, or the ones that were to stay and grow, their workers need somewhere to live. A city doesn't provide that, then they are just asking for more homelessness to happen.

Think about it, if they don't build new units, where are people's kids suppose to move to? Why should they be forced to live at home indefinitely, or be forced to move miles away from their communities and be made to drive (in increasing air pollution) just to visit friends, family, or access services closer to city centers? I don't see how it is rational to try to build up places like Barstow instead of building more multifamily units in and around LA and Southern California first.

Denser cities are easier to run. You have a larger tax base when needs the city is less likely to go into debt, public services are easier to access because of the short distances, they are more energy-efficient, denser cities are easier to integrate (even though we do a **** job of that right now, but the burbs are an even worse exclusionary hell), public transportation can get to more people, in turn, making it cheaper to build out and run (construction cost is another problem by itself though). Denser cities and burbs just provide more bang for the buck from an economic standpoint.

So I'm saying that we should focus on may our current cities and suburbs denser before we build more suburban sprawl like we currently do. This will affect LA, the cities around LA, LA county, the suburbs, and cities adjacent to there. It is not about just packing everyone into LA, but making sure everyone has access to affordable decent housing in the area. And that is easier to do when more multifamily units are allowed to be built everywhere.

The suburbs are completely ****** up too. It is not a matter of making everyone live in cities, it is making sure that a city can hold the maximum amount of people it can. Then the adjacent suburbs hold as much as it can. If someone wants a large single-family home, then go live in the outer suburbs and the exurbs

We’ll see what happens…I been around long enough to know the almighty dollar rules everything n that leads to rarely caring about ppl with lil to no money so I’m skeptical of your premise, but hope I’m wrong

yglesias had a good example of this dynamic on his sub stack. Toyota, Honda and Nissan in the late 80's.

US regulators limited the quantity of Japanese cars that could be imported in America in the late 80's.
artificially limiting supply.

No longer able to increase profits by increasing the quantity of cars sold, they responded by selling more expensive cars.
Toyota and other Japanese car manufactures all started luxury brands.

Acura in 1986
Lexus and Infiniti in 1989

now Japanse car manufacturers eventually got around this by manufacturing cars in America.
now they can increase profits by selling higher quantities of cheap cars, instead of relying on luxury brands.

if you make it easy and profitable to build affordable housing people will do it.

Again, there is some truth to this, but developers should be regulated to force them to build smaller more affordable units in the same area as they build larger ones aimed at higher earners.

Because if you let the market decide, you essentially make developers your city planners

So they could build larger luxury units in prime locations. Then build the smaller more affordable unit on the outskirts of the cities.

Zoning reform also offers a chance to better integrate cities and suburbs. On race and class lines. I fear if municipalities just leave it to the market, they will ignore the fact the market produces really racist outcomes, that happen to be profitable. Zoning or no zoning.

Last edited:
ah hah thank you for your service then? Lol. I live in the South Bay so there’s a drive just to get to the nearest metro station, or the alternative is to take the silver line buses if I want to get downtown. Driving will always be options 1, 2, and 3 if you have the means to. That’s another thing, some folks don’t have cars or can’t drive/don’t have licenses etc.

the blowup of the metro system county/greater LA area wide has always been the dream and hopefully we get it within my lifetime lol

the silver line is clutch for me whenever I go to staples center. Park at harbor gateway and take it straight downtown.

yglesias had a good example of this dynamic on his sub stack. Toyota, Honda and Nissan in the late 80's.

US regulators limited the quantity of Japanese cars that could be imported in America in the late 80's.
artificially limiting supply.

No longer able to increase profits by increasing the quantity of cars sold, they responded by selling more expensive cars.
Toyota and other Japanese car manufactures all started luxury brands.

Acura in 1986
Lexus and Infiniti in 1989

now Japanse car manufacturers eventually got around this by manufacturing cars in America.
now they can increase profits by selling higher quantities of cheap cars, instead of relying on luxury brands.

if you make it easy and profitable to build affordable housing people will do it.
Yeah, I didn't find this compelling because sure it illuminated how policy can change economic incentives and the profit motive, but he ignores that local housing markets and the national auto market are different.

I'm not saying put in place a new bureaucratic hell, but they do need some oversight

Still out here using reference tracks :smh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom