***Official Political Discussion Thread***

If a company attracting high-paid workers, they will just outbid locals for housing and if you don't have enough housing units to accommodate everyone, you get storage of housing supply and you get.....a homelessness crisis.
To add to this point, you also get drive away lower pay workers and you end up running into what is happening in the Hamptons: bars and restaurants with nobody to work there because servers and bar tenders and cooks can't afford to live in the area and the surroundings.

tumblr_inline_ot4j1wJN0s1r0vc40_500.gif

The "tax the rich" thing has clearly been great politics for AOC...

she knows how to generate attention and coverage that extends beyond her actual political power better than just about anyone.

Yeah, I didn't find this compelling because sure it illuminated how policy can change economic incentives and the profit motive, but he ignores that local housing markets and the national auto market are different.

I'm not saying put in place a new bureaucratic hell, but they do need some oversight

Still out here using reference tracks :smh:

Yah I'm sure some new regs will be necessary eventually

I'm not saying totally un fettered free market,

But in the current pathologically over regulated housing markets, j just think it's important to really really emphasize deregulation.

Because in many cities forces on everyside of the political isle are fighting against it and trying to come with excuses why it can't happen .

Not calling you out, because I feel similarly, but this widespread American value is what kills public transportation.

But have you even been to Houston?

houston is not a free market panacea its has onerous parking regulation that are as bad as zoning in a lot of ways.

Houston requires there to be 1.333 off-street parking spaces for every single one-bedroom apartment

2 For office buildings,

2.5 parking spaces are required per every 1000 square feet of office space.

• 2.2 parking spaces per hospital bed
  • 0.5 parking spaces for every chapel seat in a funeral home
  • 1 parking space per every 3 high school occupants
  • 1.2 parking spaces for every 1000 square feet in a library
  • 14 parking spaces for 1000 square feet in a bar
"All of this results in Houston having a supposed 30 parking spaces per Houston resident.3"

hence it you get endless parking lots and sprawl.
1631891203365.png

Last edited:

:rofl:Finesse queen

She's can't not making more than lunch money off of these if anything at all b/c I'm pretty its to found her career operation. You gotta apply context to stuff like this. This isn't the same as Donald producing MAGA hats "Made in China". Not to mention this is a nice cut. Looks soft of value:
1631890959415.png

Not calling you out, because I feel similarly, but this widespread American value is what kills public transportation.

But have you even been to Houston?

ive never lived in cities with functioning widespread public transportation but I assumed like in NYC the trains ran nonstop so like if I missed one I could catch the next train in like 10-15 min, I could work with that

One of the most annoying aspects of living in America is the Overton window being far enough to the right that to apolitical* observers anything farther to the left than caps lock is viewed as either insincere or absurd.

It leads to situations like this where people who aren't actually active in politics make uneducated remarks that serve those who actively work against them.

And it's particularly frustrating because when you challenge them, they're now simultaneously political mavens while also being completely detached. An absolutely absurd premise that to them makes more sense than simply engaging in actual discourse about why they're wrong.

*I hate this term, no one is actually apolitical

ive never lived in cities with functioning widespread public transportation but I assumed like in NYC the trains ran nonstop so like if I missed one I could catch the next train in like 10-15 min, I could work with that

It’s a bit of a cart and horse. People vote against public transportation initiatives on the grounds that they don’t use them. And they don’t use them because they aren’t “good enough”. But then they remain underfunded and never get better.

NYC would never be allowed to build their subway system today. I rode the A train for the last decade. Even with the occasional putrid car and sweaty platforms, I never was nostalgic for having a car. But the nearest capital Metro station is a 15 minute walk on one side. And a ridiculous amount of time on the trains in between. so I’m back to driving.

And even then, the MTA definitely had big dead zones in all the boroughs that don’t start with M. Plenty of people in NYC still feel like they need cars.

Back
Top Bottom