***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Democrats need to be more like republicans. That seems to be the consensus view among "independents".

*Raises hand*

It's safe to assume that Republicans are a minority in this country

How many people have you talked to that WOULD'VE voted for Trump and didn't vote at all?

On the flip, how many people do you know would've voted AGAINST Trump and just didn't vote?

Republicans keep winning because

1. They're more aggressive in their tactics
2. Their supporters vote HEAVY
3. They have more millionaires / billionaires involved

Last edited:
take your smug liberal hat off and put your pragmatic Democratic strategist hat on.

you've now lost all of congress, and da White House, a key constituency, da blue collar white working class as abandoned your party....2018 looks like another Democratic loss, what are you doing to win them back and take back control?

It's tough to say because there are a lot of people out there that are just like you; no matter how many times you are shown facts by more qualified individuals, you still think you are right.

liberal energy policy turned me away, I was well aware of their platform.

take your smug liberal hat off and put your pragmatic Democratic strategist hat on.

you've now lost all of congress, and da White House, a key constituency, da blue collar white working class as abandoned your party....2018 looks like another Democratic loss, what are you doing to win them back and take back control?

It's tough to say because there are a lot of people out there that are just like you; no matter how many times you are shown facts by more qualified individuals, you still think you are right.

:lol:

I have a perpetual motion machine for sale. Interested?

Agreed, that's fighting a battle you can't win. Only way to get them on your side is to denounce other working class and poor people, which is foolish. Gotta get high voter turnout and start now w/ local support.
But they weren't really ignored this time, they were just told they were being ignored because u know, they can't possibly be having the same struggles as black and Latinos and other working poor. In fact, according to what they're being told, they actually have it worse than black and Latino citizens.

Big this is getting them to realize that they're struggle isn't any different.

On your second point, I can definitely see poor white people's perspective.

They're the ones that are disproportionately impacted by integration.

Not saying it's right, nor do I agree. I just can see where the frustration comes from, as opposed to finance and tech, where white dudes are still running ****, and don't have to deal with as much integration, ESPECIALLY from black people.

C4fBS7AWcAI5FiP.jpg

I'm going to remember that 45 sign. That's great.

I have sympathy for a lot of things that impact the lives of poor and lower middle class white people.

Having to integrate is not one of them,.

The key to Democratic victories in the future is driving turnout, not trying to appease rurual whites in the Rustbelt.

Anyone that read the platforms knows Hillary would be better for that region anyway.

So many things worked against Hillary, and she still almost won. Not a good sign for Trump in the future, also when you consider he straight up lied to those people.

Trump won Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan by less than one percentage. We will win those these states back in 2020 with a good candidate. He won Florida by a little more than 1,I think 1.3. That's still going to be a toss up. We definitely lost Ohio tho but gained Nevada.

Agreed, that's fighting a battle you can't win. Only way to get them on your side is to denounce other working class and poor people, which is foolish. Gotta get high voter turnout and start now w/ local support.
But they weren't really ignored this time, they were just told they were being ignored because u know, they can't possibly be having the same struggles as black and Latinos and other working poor. In fact, according to what they're being told, they actually have it worse than black and Latino citizens.

Big this is getting them to realize that they're struggle isn't any different.

On your second point, I can definitely see poor white people's perspective.

They're the ones that are disproportionately impacted by integration.

Not saying it's right, nor do I agree. I just can see where the frustration comes from, as opposed to finance and tech, where white dudes are still running ****, and don't have to deal with as much integration, ESPECIALLY from black people.

But many of the ones who vote republican in middle America weren't really affected by integration. Just like they don't have to really worry about Muslims or Mexican immigrants. They use that as an excuse, for every one black person in some random town in S.Dakota, there's 1000000 white people

But many of the ones who vote republican in middle America weren't really affected by integration. Just like they don't have to really worry about Muslims or Mexican immigrants. They use that as an excuse, for every one black person in some random town in S.Dakota, there's 1000000 white people

This is the infuriating part to me. You don't even interact with the group of others a lot of times on a daily basis, yet can be convinced so easily that they're the problem and why you aren't getting ahead in life. It's just pure stupidity and bigotry in its purest form. They don't even follow their own bootstrap philosophy.

I thought that was where the term "white flight" came from... White folks moving away from certain areas b/c black people were starting to compete for the same jobs and move into the same neighborhoods?

Look, it's pretty clear that the "angry, uneducated white factory worker in South Dakota" is the shining example of a Trump supporter.

That's understood.

But those "flyover" states aren't the only ones that voted for him.

There are still a lot of poor people in the South that live right next to black people and compete w/ them for jobs. Before jobs were going overseas and to immigrants, they were going to black people.

Also (and I'm guilty) of thinking that only poor angry white dudes voted for Trump.There are a LOT of folks are successful lawyers, bankers, and doctors that voted for him too. It aint just poor white dudes.

Last edited:

I thought that was where the term "white flight" came from... White folks moving away from certain areas b/c black people were starting to compete for the same jobs and move into the same neighborhoods?

Look, it's pretty clear that the "angry, uneducated white factory worker in South Dakota" is the shining example of a Trump supporter.

That's understood.

But those "flyover" states aren't the only ones that voted for him.

There are still a lot of poor people in the South that live right next to black people and compete w/ them for jobs. Before jobs were going overseas and to immigrants, they were going to black people.

White flight was to escape living around minorities (mainly black people), not because they competed for the same job.

Many white people would rather have a longer commute to work, than live with a few black neighbors.

Last edited:
White flight was to escape living around minorities (mainly black people), not because they competed for the same job.

Many white people would rather have a longer commute to work, than live in a few black neighbors.

How were black people moving into the neighborhoods, doe?

It aint like they got reparations.

This is the infuriating part to me. You don't even interact with the group of others a lot of times on a daily basis, yet can be convinced so easily that they're the problem and why you aren't getting ahead in life. It's just pure stupidity and bigotry in its purest form. They don't even follow their own bootstrap philosophy.

The lack of contact is what drives the irrational fear.

If you grow up around muslims you realize they some regular *** people, in fact probably have a lot in common with white, conservative, religious voters.

The lack of contact is what drives the irrational fear.

If you grow up around muslims you realize they some regular *** people, in fact probably have a lot in common with white, conservative, religious voters.

True, I just wonder how that mindset comes about.

Many white people would rather have a longer commute to work, than live in a few black neighbors.

They worked jobs.

Last edited:
It's kinda like how some ppl have an irrational fear of dogs. Then it changes after spending a week with a cousin's dog. etc. etc.

Not saying exposure will always change deep seated fears but a lack of exposure is at the root of the fear.

They worked jobs.
White flight is too explain whites fleeing the cities for the suburbs to move away from blacks. 

Back
Top Bottom