***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I know it's tragic. It's just hard for me to feel sad about it considering that republicans are habitual line steppers when it comes to downplaying tragedies that don't affect them. We'll see what comes out of it and whether we finally get a bipartisan effort to do something about gun violence.

:lol:

That ain't gonna happen. That would require them to have souls.

Last edited:

It's troubling to read the comments on that article. People are blaming liberals for creating this toxic atmosphere in their witch hunt against trump. Same people who are silent over the many mass shootings perpetrated by deplorables.

I'm really glad no one is left in this thread who spews that garbage.

They must've been asleep during the last 8 years...

The political climate's BEEN toxic and ultra polarized ever since the Tea Party movement gained steam in '09 and eventually took over the GOP

Last edited:
I know it's tragic. It's just hard for me to feel sad about it considering that republicans are habitual line steppers when it comes to downplaying tragedies that don't affect them. We'll see what comes out of it and whether we finally get a bipartisan effort to do something about gun violence.

:lol:

That ain't gonna happen. That would require them to have souls.

You never know.

If that act of violence was politically motivated, there are only two ways we can go about the discourse and policies: the authoritarian route or the compromise one.

It feels like we are reaching a breaking point as a nation.

This dude openly supported the Muslim ban. Hard to find sympathy, as terrible as that sounds.

This is tragic, and I hope everyone is ok, but I'm am surprise things like this are not more common.

While I do feel sympathy for the people shot, I am not gonna feel any for the conservatives that try to play victim.

They created this toxic environment

They are the ones that started the use vs. them rhetoric, they are the ones constantly saying they is a war one something, their policies kill tons of people and they are the ones that when kids get shot in a elementary school, seemed more concerned about protecting their guns

And they are the ones that demanded the left take Gabby Gibbords shooting in stride

The chickens are coming home.

As reprehensible as the GOP rep. may be, I have to at least have a small degree of sympathy. Shooting people is never the answer. Get rid of that voter apathy and vote as many of those GOP clowns out of office as possible in 2018 and 2020. That is the answer.

One of the GOP reps, Mo Brooks,didn't waste any time going the "if only we all had guns" route :lol: :smh:

That would've probably gotten him killed seeing as the shooter had the element of surprise

Last edited:
White middle aged, alive in custody, what I heard on the NPR driving to work

And yesterday some conservative was trying to argue with me how important the travel ban is because Trump is "trying to make America safe" but fail to acknowledge any white men shooting innocents in our country.

You never know.

If that act of violence was politically motivated, there are only two ways we can go about the discourse and policies: the authoritarian route or the compromise one.

It feels like we are reaching a breaking point as a nation.

Maybe if he had been killed, but he wasnt so I'm expecting business as usual. Blame liberals for toxic environment, continue to push NRA policies forward.

One of the GOP reps, Mo Brooks,didn't waste any time going the "if only we all had guns" route :lol: :smh:

That would've probably gotten him killed seeing as the shooter had the element of surprise

I don't know how that little element is never a factor in their argument of guns as defensive tools. You could pull the trigger with your eyelids, but you'll still be dead if a mofo sneaks up behind you.

@AlexJSpearman: BREAKING: FLINT, Mich. (AP) -- The head of Michigan's health department is charged with involuntary manslaughter in the Flint water crisis.

Wow..about damn time

Flint began using water from the Flint River in 2014 but didn’t treat it to reduce corrosion. Lead from old plumbing leached into the water system.

Some experts also have linked the water to Legionnaires’ disease, a type of pneumonia caused by bacteria that thrive in warm water and infect the lungs.

People can get sick if they inhale mist or vapor, typically from cooling systems.

There were nearly 100 cases in the Flint area, including 12 deaths, in 2014 and 2015.

http://fox17online.com/2017/06/14/b...ntary-manslaughter-in-the-flint-water-crisis/

Hopefully the rest of the people who allowed this to happen get charged too.

@AlexJSpearman: BREAKING: FLINT, Mich. (AP) -- The head of Michigan's health department is charged with involuntary manslaughter in the Flint water crisis.

Wow..about damn time

Flint began using water from the Flint River in 2014 but didn’t treat it to reduce corrosion. Lead from old plumbing leached into the water system.

Some experts also have linked the water to Legionnaires’ disease, a type of pneumonia caused by bacteria that thrive in warm water and infect the lungs.

People can get sick if they inhale mist or vapor, typically from cooling systems.

There were nearly 100 cases in the Flint area, including 12 deaths, in 2014 and 2015.

http://fox17online.com/2017/06/14/b...ntary-manslaughter-in-the-flint-water-crisis/

Hopefully the rest of the people who allowed this to happen get charged too.
Most definitely.

That Governor needs to be charged for criminal negligence at the very least

Last edited:
Last edited:

What would his sentence look like for those charges? I see that 12 people died as a result of those actions so would those count as 1 count of involuntary manslaughter of more? Not entirely sure of the legal workings of manslaughter charges.
Criminal Penalty for Involuntary Manslaughter in Michigan. If you are found to have committed the crime of manslaughter, you are guilty of a felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison and a fine of as much as $7,500, according to the Michigan Penal Code (750.321).
AKA he'll get a slap on the wrist and all of the manslaughter charges will probably run concurrently. Speaking from experience. He'll be treated as a white collar criminal and get the benefit of his political affiliations.

That's even if he's found guilty
laugh.gif

China making the biggest mistake in their history as a country b

That's what hanging out with those libbie EU nutjobs gets you 
mean.gif

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-as-china-spurs-world-shift-to-cleaner-energy
Coal No Longer King as China Spurs Shift to Cleaner Energy

China’s domination of energy markets -- long the driver of soaring fossil-fuel consumption and rising carbon pollution -- is now turning the planet in a cleaner direction.

The biggest energy consumer is moving toward the end of an era  after it burned the least coal in six years, became the number one producer of renewable energy and even lowered its emissions of climate-warming gases, according to data from BP Plc.

“China matters in a big way to the energy market,” said Giovanni Staunovo, an analyst at UBS Group AG. “There is an aim to move away from coal consumption towards cleaner energy sources.”

China developed a voracious appetite for energy since the turn of the century as its expanding economy burned up huge amounts of fossil fuels to keep factories humming and cars rolling. In the process it helped drive up prices of oil, natural gas and coal, while also becoming the biggest emitter of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide.

About one in five people lives in China and its growing middle class means the country is using more energy than ever, but patterns of consumption are changing. Money is pouring in to cleaner energy, while coal is discouraged in the fight to improve the air quality in some of the most polluted cities in the world. The Asian giant’s economy is also evolving toward services, which are less energy intensive than heavy manufacturing.

The numbers are striking. China still accounted for about half of the coal burned in the world last year, but consumption of the fuel fell 1.6 percent, according to BP’s annual Statistical Review of World Energy. That compares with an average 3.7 percent annual expansion in the 11 preceding years. Government policy changes resulted in production of the fuel dropping 7.9 percent, compared with a 3.9 percent average gain in the previous decade.

At the same time it dominated renewables, accounting for 40 percent of global growth and surpassing the U.S. to become the largest producer of clean energy, BP data show. The nation’s installed solar capacity rose 79 percent to 78 gigawatts last year and wind expanded 15 percent to 149 gigawatts.

“Chinese hunger for energy is being tempered by moves to a more sustainable growth pathway and the rapid expansion of renewables,” Jonathan Marshall, an analyst at the London-based Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit, said by email. Those trends spell “further trouble for coal in the years to come.”

Weaker industrial growth meant China’s consumption of middle distillate fuels, which include diesel, fell last year for the first time  in at least a decade, BP data show.

That “reflects the structural rebalancing of the economy towards more consumer and service-related facing sectors,” Spencer Dale, BP’s chief economist, said at a briefing in London on Tuesday. “But the scale of the slowdown suggests some bounce-back is perhaps likely.”

Increasing prosperity means people are driving their cars further and flying more often, driving demand for gasoline and jet fuel, Dale said.

Total consumption of oil products rose 3.3 percent last year, compared with an average annual expansion of 5.7 percent in the previous decade. Even at that slower rate, China’s additional 400,000 barrels a day of demand was the largest contribution to global growth in 2016, the BP data show.

The slowdown in China is reflected in the world’s carbon emissions, which saw little or no growth for a third consecutive year in BP’s data. Global emissions grew at an annual average rate of about 2.5 percent in the 10 years to 2013.

China has alone helped eliminate most of that growth. The country’s emissions have dropped in the past two years after growing by almost 75 percent in the previous decade, Dale said.

“It’s a new China, a different China, but still very relevant in the energy world,” said UBS’s Staunovo. “The hunger for energy is likely to continue to dominate.”

Back
Top Bottom