***Official Political Discussion Thread***

GA is a perfect example of black folks place in America ....we can have a lor something ( Atlanta) , but damn sure ain’t getting a whole state ...never happening :smh:
At some point, it all becomes a numbers game. 13% isn't much, and it doesn't help when historical and economic forces creates small geographic clusters where black folks are overrepresented, leaving 70/80/90% of the American land mass black-free (example: Louisville contains 90% of all Black folks in KY).

As RustyShackleford RustyShackleford said a long time ago, it is easier to control Black people if they are all in as few as possible, easily identifiable locations.

I took a class on black politics with Cedric Johnson as a graduate student. One of the best classes I’ve ever taken. Extremely smart dude and a good guy, as well.

He put me on to Adolph Reed, who I consider to be probably the smartest and most thought-provoking political writer and cultural critic around.

Damn I haven’t posted on NT in forever :lol:

That's dope man. What was that Black Politics class like? What were the discussions about if you can remember? I've never met Cedric But I did meet Adolph Reed at a Panel a few years ago and he was down to earth. He was the only one of the panelists who didn't mind chillin and talking to people.

Reed's influence on Cedric Johnson is felt all over his writings. When I read Johnson's book "Revolutionaries to Race Leaders", it felt like I was reading Stirrings in the Jug. Both are highly slept on.

This guy is so goddamn stupid.

Best tweet of the day. Very true.
resize.gif

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ent-challenged-at-supreme-court-idUSKCN1NL2KV
Trump's attorney general appointment challenged at Supreme Court
The fight over President Donald Trump’s appointment of Matthew Whitaker as acting attorney general has reached the U.S. Supreme Court, with lawyers in a pending gun rights case asking the justices on Friday to decide if the action was lawful.

Critics have said the Republican president’s appointment of Whitaker, who now will oversee Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russia’s role in the 2016 U.S. election, on Nov. 7 to replace the ousted Jeff Sessions as the chief U.S. law enforcement official violated the Constitution and federal law.

Lawyers for Barry Michaels, who filed a lawsuit in Nevada challenging a U.S. law that bars him from buying a firearm due to prior non-violent criminal convictions, decided to make Whitaker’s appointment an issue in their pending appeal before the high court because Sessions was named as a defendant in the case.
The lawyers told the justices that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein should be the acting attorney general.

“There is a significant national interest in avoiding the prospect that every district and immigration judge in the nation could, in relatively short order, be presented with the controversy over which person to substitute as Acting Attorney General,” the lawyers, led by prominent Supreme Court advocate Thomas Goldstein, wrote in a court filing.

The court is not required to decide one way or another and could simply ignore or reject the motion.

Michaels’ lawyers argued that Rosenstein, the department’s No. 2 official, should have succeeded Sessions under a federal law that vests full authority in the deputy attorney general should the office of attorney general become vacant.

Some of the same lawyers behind Friday’s motion also are involved in a similar effort brought before a federal judge on Tuesday. In that case, Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh asked a federal judge to bar Whitaker from appearing in an official capacity as acting attorney general in the state’s ongoing lawsuit against the Trump administration over the Affordable Care Act healthcare law.

Maryland also argued that Trump violated the so-called Appointments Clause of the Constitution because the job of attorney general is a “principal officer” who must be appointed by the president and confirmed by the Senate.

The Justice Department on Wednesday defended the legality of Whitaker’s appointment, saying Trump was empowered to give him the job under a 1998 law called the Federal Vacancies Reform Act even though he was not a Senate-confirmed official.

Congressional Democrats have voiced concern that Whitaker, who they have called a Trump “political lackey,” could undermine or even fire Mueller. Mueller’s investigation has led to criminal charges against a series of former Trump aides and has cast a cloud over Trump’s presidency.

Another one bites the dust.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/17/us/politics/trump-khashoggi-saudi-arabia.html
Top White House Official Involved in Saudi Sanctions Resigns
A top White House official responsible for American policy toward Saudi Arabia resigned on Friday evening, a move that may suggest fractures inside the Trump administration over the response to the brutal killing of the dissident Jamal Khashoggi.

The official, Kirsten Fontenrose, had pushed for tough measures against the Saudi government, and had been in Riyadh to discuss a raft of sanctions that the American government imposed in recent days against those identified as responsible for the killing, according to two people familiar with the conversations. Specifically, she advocated that Saud al-Qahtani, a top adviser to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, be added to the list, and he ultimately was.

The exact circumstances of her departure are murky, and it is unclear whether her advocacy for a hawkish response to the killing angered some in the White House. When she returned to Washington, according to the two people, she had a dispute with her bosses at the National Security Council, where she had served as the director for the Persian Gulf region.

A representative for the council declined to comment. Ms. Fontenrose did not reply to messages seeking comment.

That's dope man. What was that Black Politics class like? What were the discussions about if you can remember? I've never met Cedric But I did meet Adolph Reed at a Panel a few years ago and he was down to earth. He was the only one of the panelists who didn't mind chillin and talking to people.

Reed's influence on Cedric Johnson is felt all over his writings. When I read Johnson's book "Revolutionaries to Race Leaders", it felt like I was reading Stirrings in the Jug. Both are highly slept on.
Bro you’re speaking my language right now!! Those two books are absolutely highly slept-on and offer an abundance of important insights into our current political situation, particularly with respect to leftist thought and challenges in deteriorating cities with large black populations. Cedric would be the first to tell you Reed is one of his biggest influences along with Harold Cruse and maybe James Boggs.

The class with Cedric was seminar-style and we read one book every week. It was only me and two other students so we just chopped it up with him for like three hours every week. Dude is super cool. I still keep in contact with him. He actually just emailed me like two weeks ago about a job opportunity :lol:

The class basically covered the development of black political thought and action over the last century or so. I can’t remember every book we read but some of them were: Aldon Morris “The Origins of the Civil Rights Movement,” Harold Cruse “The Crisis of the Negro Intellectual,” a James Boggs reader, Preston Smith “Racial Democracy in the Black Meteopolis,” William Grimshaw “Bitter Fruit,” Adolph Reed “Stirrings in the Jug,” John Arena “Driven from New Orleans,” and Fredrick Harris “The Price of the Ticket.”

All the books were insightful in different ways. I probably liked the Reed and Arena books the most.

Back
Top Bottom