***Official Political Discussion Thread***

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't want to make light of prison sexual assault because it is serious issue that society doesn't take seriously enough for many ****ed up reasons.

But Roger Stone is a treasonous bigoted low life that has been human filth all his life, so I'm going put that all aside for a second.

Yo Rog, here are some words to help you get through your tough times...

Know a few of you have read well into the tax bill and have backgrounds in economy, for those of you, what should I know about these Opportunity Zones?

I work with local artists around the city, helping up and coming artist find places to paint, as well as hooking some business's up with free murals- of whom want to support those artists- and I get this lady come up to me while I was painting the other day with a list of demands of which she says that I either comply with, as well as getting the other artist to comply, or face litigation from her and her group of investors. Says they're an opportunity zone fund with the auspice of local development committee. I explained to her that we had permission from the county commissioner, zoning director, etc. and that we weren't breaking any laws but she was still trying to give me smug chit, describing some of the art as 'ghetto'

From what I read and have heard, sounds like federally funded gentrification but I don't want to respond hostilely just yet. Cory Booker tried to make it sound swell but I don't think community leaders have enough power to steer such development in cordial directions, at least not with how the policy has been explained to me. This is all I've read so far, if this is the wrong thread for this, I'll take it elsewhere

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/05/the-problem-with-opportunity-zones/560510/

The answer to this question is very simple.

In one case, family separation is a natural biproduct of deportations.

In the other case, family separation is the closer to the goal, not the biproduct. It is listed as a beneficiary deterrent in DHS memos.
61acb28258222aea1794b4d09eebb135.png

e8bad1e1ba803385ecddb7233458abd5.png

b3332a92cd72f231677e83e14659bee8.png

I have no idea where these memos are from, the context, if they were ultimately approved, or the year they were written. And they seem unfinished due to the redlining. Do you have internal memos related to immigration from administrations prior to the current one?

Of course, deterrence is an inherent intended result of criminal punishment. But the excerpts you've posted are difficult to follow without additional context.

D34468CF-50F0-43D0-B18E-9A09E3FA28B8.png

http://amp.timeinc.net/time/5340278/dna-testing-immigration-family-separation

The family separation really became an issue just recently. The main reason as to why it’s needed is to verify that minors were actually with their real parents, is to stop child/human trafficking which has been rampant at the borders.

This is the perfect example as to why we need some changes at the border/immigration policy.

Any naturalized US Citizen that petitions for a relatively have to take a DNA test to prove it BUT an illegal coming here w minors doesn’t want to?

So when he deported a record number of people you think they weren't separated from their families?

Sounds legit. Good analysis.

You're trying to muddy the waters by conflating any instance of deportation with a family separation

Still waiting for you to cite a source that shows how Obama's policies resulted in family separations the same way Trump's have

To be clear, I'm not asking for Obama's deportation numbers since that's a concept you seem to have real trouble grasping

I don't purport to know what either of them thinks.

But the reality is that President Obama deported more undocumented immigrants than any other US president in history.

But my point was not to condemn him. My point is that we need comprehensive immigration reform. It appears that we agree on that point.

You are pointing a rhetoric and ignoring actions. Of course no one wants to see families separated. But to make it seem like this is an issue that originated under this president is insincere, to use your word.
Your little game of "there's worse than Trump" on anything that he does only works on the uninformed. Check when this thread was created and find better talking points.

Your little game of "there's worse than Trump" on anything that he does only works on the uninformed. Check when this thread was created and find better talking points.

My point was the issue has existed for a while. And the solution is comprehensive immigration reform. It appears we all agree on that point.

I have no idea where these memos are from, the context, if they were ultimately approved, or the year they were written. And they seem unfinished due to the redlining. Do you have internal memos related to immigration from administrations prior to the current one?

Of course, deterrence is an inherent intended result of criminal punishment. But the excerpts you've posted are difficult to follow without additional context.
The memo referenced above is a late 2017 draft DHS memo, which was largely adopted in a later memorandum under the "zero tolerance policy."
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/5688664-Merkleydocs2.html

This is an April 23 2018 DHS memo, signed by DHS Secretary Nielsen.
https://www.pogo.org/document/2018/09/april-23-2018-memo-on-family-separation/
17a67f9189158abe2fc331bac2cf5e98.png

9cf28aeb7b8d287604ebac3968d55bce.png

579b3b378802694c2950c26a1aa0961f.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/06/us/trump-flores-settlement-regulations.html
Trump Administration Moves to Sidestep Restrictions on Detaining Migrant Children
The Trump administration moved on Thursday to remove court-imposed time limits on the detention of migrant children, proposing to end 20 years of judicial oversight and allow families to be held indefinitely in secure facilities as their cases wend through the immigration courts.

HHS Inspector General:
https://www.apnews.com/c648954057594364b01a38b8d16701ac
Watchdog: Thousands more children may have been separated
Thousands more migrant children may have been split from their families than the Trump administration previously reported, in part because officials were stepping up family separations long before the border policy that prompted international outrage last spring, a government watchdog said Thursday.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/08/politics/whitaker-family-separation/index.html
Whitaker: 'I don't believe we were tracking' family separations

Last edited:
Maybe Stone has really gotten in over his head this time with this crime spree and wants as much notoriety as he can, knowing he'll go down for at least something. I don't recall his exact words but in Get Me Roger Stone (good watch btw) he said something along the lines of rather having notoriety/infamy than nobody talking about him at all. One of his favorite "bragging rights" is that he was the youngest person to testify in the Watergate trials.

Or Stone is angling for a pardon, or perhaps has already been assured of one. President Trump has made it quite clear he is supportive of alleged or confirmed criminals refusing to cooperate with the feds and/or obstructing federal investigations.

Stone clearly brazenly lied to the House Intel committee, so the question is why go to the efffort of obstructing that investigation? To cover up what? What is there to gain for Stone by obstructing that investigation?

Mueller's prosecutors believe the motive for at least one of Manafort's lies during his cooperation agreement (relating to Kilimnik and the polling data) was to "at least augment his chances for a pardon."

On November 28, Trump publicly stated that he saw no reason to not keep a pardon on the table for Manafort, despite Manafort's multitude of felony convictions and guilty plea to conspiring to obstruct the Mueller investigation with former GRU officer Kilimnik. Shortly before Manafort was convicted in his trial, Trump praised him for refusing to cooperate and "not breaking, unlike Michael Cohen."
While Manafort was lying to the prosecutors during his cooperation, his lawyer Kevin Downing was briefing the Trump defense on the prosecutors' questioning and lines of inquiry.

Similarly to Manafort, Trump has praised Stone for refusing to cooperate.

Last edited:
Maybe Stone has really gotten in over his head this time with this crime spree and wants as much notoriety as he can, knowing he'll go down for at least something. I don't recall his exact words but in Get Me Roger Stone (good watch btw) he said something along the lines of rather having notoriety/infamy than nobody talking about him at all. One of his favorite "bragging rights" is that he was the youngest person to testify in the Watergate trials.

Or Stone is angling for a pardon, or perhaps has already been assured of one. President Trump has made it quite clear he is supportive of alleged or confirmed criminals refusing to cooperate with the feds and/or obstructing federal investigations.

Stone clearly brazenly lied to the House Intel committee, so the question is why go to the efffort of obstructing that investigation? To cover up what? What is there to gain for Stone by obstructing that investigation?

Mueller's prosecutors believe the motive for at least one of Manafort's lies during his cooperation agreement (relating to Kilimnik and the polling data) was to "at least augment his chances for a pardon."

On November 28, Trump publicly stated that he saw no reason to not keep a pardon on the table for Manafort, despite Manafort's multitude of felony convictions and guilty plea to conspiring to obstruct the Mueller investigation with former GRU officer Kilimnik. Shortly before Manafort was convicted in his trial, Trump praised him for refusing to cooperate and "not breaking, unlike Michael Cohen."
While Manafort was lying to the prosecutors during his cooperation, his lawyer Kevin Downing was briefing the Trump defense on the prosecutors' questioning and lines of inquiry.

Similarly to Manafort, Trump has praised Stone for refusing to cooperate.

They must have been playing around in private somewhere it seems.

I'm not sure what this has to do with President Trump. I was working in the 6th Circuit during the Obama administration. Tons of undocumented immigrants and asylum seekers were separated from their families during that time.

What we need now, as we did then, is comprehensive immigration reform.

Top notch whataboutism

Back
Top Bottom