***Official Political Discussion Thread***

full

Perhaps to the surprise of some, Trump is actually the second president to inquire about purchasing Greenland. The first was Harry Truman.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-greenland-idUSKCN1V80M0
Danish PM says Trump's idea of selling Greenland to U.S. is absurd
Greenland is not for sale and the idea of selling it to the United States is absurd, Denmark’s prime minister said on Sunday after an economic adviser to President Donald Trump confirmed the U.S. interest in buying the world’s largest island.

“Greenland is not for sale. Greenland is not Danish. Greenland belongs to Greenland. I strongly hope that this is not meant seriously,” Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen told the newspaper Sermitsiaq during a visit to Greenland.

Trump confirmed to reporters on Sunday that he had recently discussed the possibility, though he said such a move was not an immediate priority.
“The concept came up and ...strategically it’s interesting,” Trump told reporters from the tarmac in Morristown, New Jersey, as he prepared to board Air Force One.

“It is not No.1 on the burner; I can tell you that.”

Trump is due to visit Copenhagen early next month, when the Arctic will be on the agenda in meetings with Frederiksen and Prime Minister Kim Kielsen of Greenland, an autonomous Danish territory.

White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow on Sunday initially confirmed media reports earlier in the week that Trump had privately discussed with his advisers the idea of buying Greenland.

“I don’t want to predict an outcome. I’m just saying the president, who knows a thing or two about buying real estate, wants to take a look at a Greenland purchase,” Kudlow told Fox News.

Kudlow said the situation was “developing” and noted that U.S. President Harry Truman also had wanted to buy Greenland.

“And Denmark owns Greenland, Denmark is an ally, Greenland is a strategic place, up there. And they’ve got a lot of valuable minerals,” Kudlow added.

A defense treaty between Denmark and the United States dating back to 1951 gives the U.S. military rights over the Thule Air Base in northern Greenland.

Greenland, located between the North Atlantic and Arctic oceans, is dependent on Danish economic support. It handles its own domestic affairs while Copenhagen looks after defense and foreign policy.

“It’s an absurd discussion, and Kim Kielsen has of course made it clear that Greenland is not for sale. That’s where the conversation ends,” Frederiksen told the Danish broadcaster DR.

On Friday, Greenland’s foreign minister, Ane Lone Bagger, had told Reuters: “We are open for business, but we’re not for sale.”
40b549a4d255ed239cec1747208d0fc2.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_civil_religion

Didn't know there was a theory in sociology about the religious tendencies of American politics. Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

"Muricanism" has always felt like a religion to me.
The part of us honoring our fallen soldiers but not helping the ones who survived or continuing to send new ones to their death always rubbed me the wrong way.

On a diff note
I am a christian and the evangelicals you see in the republican party are not Christians. They are like catholics in latin america or jews in NYC. They go to church for baptisms, bar mitvahs, weddings, and funerals but that's it. The Murica Evangelicals love the flag and white supremacy...not Jesus

Republican Jesus
EFBEE869-E9C0-4BAA-A316-DA0B970EC9DB.jpeg

Here's a conspiracy theory for everyone

The plays and things Trump are doing now are simply to fulfill the Evangelical prophecy of him being the second coming

They welcome the end of the world and gladly will watch it all burn around us because they have already contributed to and are a part of the end times

Trump will be the new leader to take them to Israel and reclaim the promised land

They are actually the ultimate anti-semites as tell Jewish people they are in favor if their independence and state but just want to keep the Muslims out until they can return to the land where Trump will take them to Heaven and smite the rest of the heathens

Thanks for sharing.

The part of us honoring our fallen soldiers but not helping the ones who survived or continuing to send new ones to their death always rubbed me the wrong way.

On a diff note
I am a christian and the evangelicals you see in the republican party are not Christians. They are like catholics in latin america or jews in NYC. They go to church for baptisms, bar mitvahs, weddings, and funerals but that's it. The Murica Evangelicals love the flag and white supremacy...not Jesus

Republican Jesus
EFBEE869-E9C0-4BAA-A316-DA0B970EC9DB.jpeg

pretty much how i see it as well. as far as im concerned, evangelical is synonymous with a person who weaponized religion to further white supremacy. Im a christian but im not an evangelical.

I was actually have a conversation with a black trump supporter last week and he was questioning why black people dont vote republican more because they are very religious, pro-life, anti-LGBT, pro 2nd amendment, anti immigration, etc. And i told him being socially conservative in your personal life or your religious beliefs isn’t synonymous with political conservatism. black people over all, especially the older generation vote "you do you and imma do me". And if they even sense a whiff of civil rights being impacted theyre running in the opposite direction.

being from nyc (but living in the south now) its odd to meet black ppl that are anti immigration.
I hit them with the alien face often i'm sure.
I know the rest of the country isn't like nyc but I just don't get why a black person would be anti immigration given how many of us have family from elsewhere or friends, or ourselves, etc.

being from nyc (but living in the south now) its odd to meet black ppl that are anti immigration.
I hit them with the alien face often i'm sure.
I know the rest of the country isn't like nyc but I just don't get why a black person would be anti immigration given how many of us have family from elsewhere or friends, or ourselves, etc.

i think it has less to do with them actually being anti immigrant and more to do with the bogus republican talking point that black people are competing for low skilled jobs with illegal immigrants.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2019/08/19/white-house-officials-explore-payroll-tax-cut-to-prevent-economic-downturn-people-familiar-with-the-matter-say/?tidr=a_breakingnews&hpid=hp_no-name_hp-breaking-news:tongue:age/breaking-news-bar
White House officials explore payroll tax cut to prevent economic downturn, people familiar with the matter say

Senior White House officials are examining whether to propose a temporary cut to payroll taxes in an effort to stimulate the economy and stem growing fears of a U.S. recession. The discussions are in the early stage, but they reveal growing concerns about the economy by President Trump’s top aides.

This is a developing story. It will be updated.
Edit:
The talks are still in their early stages, and the officials have not decided whether to formally push Congress to approve the cut, these people said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to disclose internal discussions. But the White House in recent days has begun searching for proposals that could halt a slowing economy.

Millions of Americans pay a “payroll tax” on their earnings, a 6.2 percent levy that is used to finance Medicare and Social Security programs. The payroll tax was last cut during the Obama administration, to 4.2 percent, as a way to encourage more consumer spending during the recent economic downturn. But the cut was allowed to reset back up to 6.2 percent in 2013.

Americans pay payroll taxes on income up to $132,900, so cutting the payroll tax has remained a popular idea for many lawmakers seeking to deliver savings for middle-income earners and not the wealthiest Americans. But payroll tax cuts can also add dramatically to the deficit and – depending on how they are designed – pull billions of dollars away from Social Security and Medicare.

The discussions about whether to pursue a new payroll tax cut have only begun in recent days, the three people said, and specific details about the design have not been reached yet.

Trump and top aides have spent the past few days trying to convince the public that the economy is strong and that fears about a recession are misguided. But White House officials quietly have begun scrambling for new ideas to reverse public concerns and boost business confidence.

Some administration officials have felt that planning for an economic downturn would send a negative perception to the public and make things worse, but Trump has spent much of the past week conferring with business executives and other confidants seeking input on what they are seeing in the economy.

There are signs the U.S. economy is slowing, and economists fear that Germany and the United Kingdom already are tipping towards a recession. So far, consumer spending has remained one of the U.S. economy’s bright spots, and White House officials are aware that Trump’s reelection chances could hinge on the economy staying strong into next year.

Last edited:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2019/08/19/white-house-officials-explore-payroll-tax-cut-to-prevent-economic-downturn-people-familiar-with-the-matter-say/?tidr=a_breakingnews&hpid=hp_no-name_hp-breaking-news:tongue:age/breaking-news-bar
White House officials explore payroll tax cut to prevent economic downturn, people familiar with the matter say

Senior White House officials are examining whether to propose a temporary cut to payroll taxes in an effort to stimulate the economy and stem growing fears of a U.S. recession. The discussions are in the early stage, but they reveal growing concerns about the economy by President Trump’s top aides.

This is a developing story. It will be updated.
:rofl: :rofl:

France has known 5 republics (after the fall of the monarchy); Germany is at its fourth; Japan, China, Russia, you name it, have outlived their original constitutions (or their equivalent). The belief that the US will not survive a change in its Constitution is a belief challenged by this country's own history and the amendments that came after the 10th. Yet, people treat the document like the Bible. Seeing politicians and jurists talk about the founding fathers as these infallible figures is no different than hearing Christians and Muslims talk about Jesus/God and Muhammad/Allah. Furthermore, these fools labeling themselves as Originalists give me the same feeling I get when I hear fundamentalists talk about practicing the only true form of their religion.

This is why it is so difficult to talk politics in America with Americans. The discussions are never based on reason, just belief informed by one's biases and wishes.

Back
Top Bottom