***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Yeah it really is a tough spot because both the gov't and private institutions assume that 100k mark is really doing much for a family post taxes. You're one emergency away from losing it all.

You could say that's a little ironic coming from the Foreign Ministry of China. I'm guessing the bill signed on Wednesday didn't go over well.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...on-backing-hong-kong-protesters-idUSKBN1Y12NB
Trump approves legislation backing Hong Kong protesters
e5cdcd6d6796bd29fee84c30be08471e.png

503a27ec50d942d3536693614b2cbe91.png

-In Pete's plan someone making 100K still gets subsidies. Under 100K gets free tuition, 100-150K gets subsidies depending on where you fall in the income bracket. So someone making 100K still would probably have most of their tuition covered.

-Means testing free tuition is a perfectly fair thing to do, I just feel if Pete wanted to make that attack his cutoffs should be higher.

-Bernie's and Warren's plans have major flaws that Pete could have attacked instead.

Now I know why Bams is so unimpressed by the field. Hillary pulled off the same attack against Bernie much better last time around.

This is the same guy who entered that ridiculous conspiracy chart in the congressional record.
The IC Inspector General already debunked Republicans’ lies about an alleged change in whistleblower rules shortly before the complaint was filed. As usual, Gohmert embarrasses himself. His best defense for Trump is a ridiculous falsehood that was debunked back in late September.

1575094048668.jpeg

Last edited:

-In Pete's plan someone making 100K still gets subsidies. Under 100K gets free tuition, 100-150K gets subsidies depending on where you fall in the income bracket. So someone making 100K still would probably have most of their tuition covered.

-Means testing free tuition is a perfectly fair thing to do, I just feel if Pete wanted to make that attack his cutoffs should be higher.

-Bernie's and Warren's plans have major flaws that Pete could have attacked instead.

Now I know why Bams is so unimpressed by the field. Hillary pulled off the same attack against Bernie much better last time around.

Means testing is a poison pill.

Universal programs are less susceptible to political attack and sabotage.

Until we can abolish private property and thus social classes,the next best thing is social solidarity where rich people use public goods and pay for them through highly progressive taxes.

Until we can abolish private property and thus social classes,the next best thing is social solidarity where rich people use public goods and pay for them through highly progressive taxes.
Unless something apocalyptic happens or someone Tyler Durden the banks this isn’t happening in the states.

America is never going to abolish private property and social classes. Communism is not happening, nor do I think it should be a goal. Mixed economies are the only ones that have been proven to work, and I am all for more public goods, but I think it would be a stupid move to swing from one extreme to another.

You don't like means-testing, and that is entirely fair given America's history of failing to do it properly (them being used to excluding the working poor and lower middle class instead of the affluent). However, it is still an unfair attack against Pete for people to act like he was talking about middle-class families because, under his plan, most middle-class families would pay the same as Warren and Bernie.

Sorry but I am not sold on their being solidarity with the upper classes. Rich people will push back against the universal program too. They will use their money in other ways to distort the system in their favor, as well.

Bernie and Warren's plans are not universal. I have not checked if they fixed it, but if Warren and Sanders still depend on states to opt-in and administrator them, then they will enforce inequality (especially on racial lines) too.

Secondly, there are other unintended consequences with state funding that few are considering.

All things considered, Warren's and Bernie's plan is better IMO, I just staying the logic of Pete's attack against them was fair. But right now, it is just a battle of good but imperfect plans. I believe that if you tax people for something, even affluent people, we should give them a service for those dollars.

Last edited:
In regards to Universities, if I were running or advising a candidate, I would propose the Federal government charter tuition-free Universities. Universities that could hold tens of thousands of students, high-quality facilities, do research, completely free, food, and housing, focus on educating local students and international students from lower economic status overseas, educate nurses and doctors for free and serve as an economic stimulus for the area. Put them in the regions that could swing voters over to team blue.

If we want to go left on education at the federal, let us try going truly all the way left.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom