***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I like the local hardware store but it’s literally twice as much as mendards.

I feel like menards is halfway decent, it’s a medium company, somewhat local and sell a ton of American made stuff at a good price. Their power tool game is garbage though.

Been saying we need to overthrow our government. We need an audit of every person in government and all the ones who fail the audit need to go to prison or get their heads chopped off. I don’t really give af what you do with them. Just get rid of them.

don´t get me wrong, I´m loving the sentiments of late, this is me every time I read some federal scorch in here:

still, flipping **** upside down gets UGLY. neighbors turned enemies, roving warlord, military junta ugly.

both you and I might die if something like that pops off...the French Revolution was not exactly a light switch.

I´m thinking maybe we start with a nice general strike and see where that goes, eh Belgium Belgium ?

yeah tho I´m not super well-studied on Belgian history, but iirc it was not ruled by nice people last century.

the Congo Free State thing is the only place I have ever read the phrase ¨basket of hands¨ used in a rubbermaking operation, and the WW2 king was suspected of colluding with actual no-bull**** Hitler.

I imagine there was some serious people power involved in your transition to the modern structure, yeah?

also, fun fact that you may be the only man on NT to appreciate: I am somehow drinking a Martens in Mexico.
Belgium straight up committed genocide in Congo under king Leopold II. A lot of atrocities went down there.

Been saying we need to overthrow our government. We need an audit of every person in government and all the ones who fail the audit need to go to prison or get their heads chopped off. I don’t really give af what you do with them. Just get rid of them.
Bringing banana republic solutions to banana republic problems.

If Iceland can do it why can’t we?

I was joking about chopping heads and I guess the word “overthrow” makes it sound a little dramatic.

jail the corrupt.

If Iceland can do it why can’t we?

I was joking about chopping heads and I guess the word “overthrow” makes it sound a little dramatic.

jail the corrupt.
I mean, Jerry Rawlings did it in Ghana.

Dude overthrew one government, got the previous head of state executed for corruption among other things, set up some reforms and handed over the country to a former diplomat that he came back to overthrow two years later, on some "y'all ain't doing this **** right" ****. More heads rolled (literally), he set up more reforms leading to a democratic society, and handed over the power to another president through the electoral process.

Now, I don't know how well he is seen in Ghana (even Jesus had detractors, so I'm sure there are folks who don't like Rawlings and his methods), but outside of Ghana, he is seen as the model authoritarian. He is one of those 1960-70 revolutionaries who are held in positive light throughout the continent and who didn't die violently, die in exile, or stuck around long enough to become the villain (like Mugabe).

cosmiccoffee9 cosmiccoffee9

I have a story about a big scandal in Belgium that'll likely surprise you and others here.

It involves credible accusations of bribery, corruption and lobbying on behalf of a foreign national. It doesn't sound that extraordinary until you find out who was the accused. It was our former Senate chairman, like McConnell's position. His name is Armand De Decker.
It gets worse from there.

The accusations stemmed from a law spearheaded by Senate chairman De Decker, who was very insistent on getting it passed.
His efforts were successful, and the law passed despite brewing controversy. The law in question was dubbed the 'friendly/amicable settlement law', translated literally. As absurd as this sounds, it allowed defendants in criminal cases to simply pay money to quash pending charges.

De Decker allegedly acted on behalf of one or more wealthy individuals from Kazachstan. One in particular was set to face charges in Belgium and virtually immediately after De Decker got the law passed, the wealthy Kazach paid a massive load of money to quash his charges before his case even really took off.

It was blatant bribery that took place in plain sight, but I really have no words for how absurd that law was to begin with.

The law was later ruled unconstitutional by one of our high courts. De Decker passed away before the charges against him were litigated but it was pretty obvious that he was exerting improper influence on the process of getting that law passed. Another set of key players pushing for the law was the diamond sector. Part of the law's text was actually written by attorneys representing the diamond sector, which often faces charges of money laundering etc.

Edit:
Another fun fact; a justice on one of our high courts, Jean-Paul Moerman, showed up in the Mueller investigation in connection with none other than Paul Manafort.
I'm not sure if you recall Manafort's involvement in the Hapsburg group but Manafort included Moerman, a sitting justice, on a list of potential recruits. It's not the first time this sitting justice has come under scrutiny. He has often faced accusations of lobbying on behalf of Azerbaijan's government. He went on trips to Azerbaijan, refused to disclose who was paying for his travels and lavishly praised the Azerbaijan government there. Such praise wasn't just restricted to his travels to the country, he did it over here as well. His defense was that he claimed this was a personal interest for him, nothing more and certainly not improper.

The fact that Manafort really considered recruiting this sitting high court justice to his secretive Hapsburg lobbying group says it all really. Evidently Moerman's notoriety had reached Manafort somehow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom