***Official Political Discussion Thread***

75aa02b7fe36a97601ab23f56fa00ada.png

Not sure if you actually watched the press conference. But he gave that caveat when asked about what he meant by total authority. And he stated that it was in the context of the discussed stay at home orders.

Not sure if you actually watched the press conference. But he gave that caveat when asked about what he meant by total authority. And he stated that it was in the context of the discussed stay at home orders.
I watched the entire press conference. The transcript shows he was very clear that he believes he has total authority to override state governors' stay at home orders.

I watched the entire press conference. The transcript shows he was very clear that he believes he has total authority to override state governors' stay at home orders.

Do you disagree?

Personally I think it is an interesting legal question. And with the current makeup of the Supreme Court, I think he could win on the issue based on the emergency powers of the executive.

Do you disagree?

Personally I think it is an interesting legal question. And with the current makeup of the Supreme Court, I think he could win on the issue based on the emergency powers of the executive.

So he had authority to shut down the country in some capacity when this crisis escalated, but left that up to the individual states and chose not to I guess. But now wants to supposedly use that same authority to dictate when those same states reopen? The Constitution doesn't work that way, Mr. Biggie Fries.

So he had authority to shut down the country in some capacity when this crisis escalated, but left that up to the individual states and chose not to I guess. But now wants to supposedly use that same authority to dictate when those same states reopen? The Constitution doesn't work that way, Mr. Biggie Fries.

The reverse is also true... right? He didn't have the power initially, but is being blamed as if he did?

Which is it?

But to answer your question directly, yes.

In any event, I don't think people understand the scope of debate surrounding presidential powers. It isn't nearly as clear cut as many are trying to make it seem.

And further, this will all likely remain theoretical as I am sure the president and governors will collaborate to avoid the legal issues.

The reverse is also true... right? He didn't have the power initially, but is being blamed as if he did?

Which is it?

But to answer your question directly, yes.

In any event, I don't think people understand the scope of debate surrounding presidential powers. It isn't nearly as clear cut as many are trying to make it seem.

And further, this will all likely remain theoretical as I am sure the president and governors will collaborate to avoid the legal issues.

So when did he realize that he had "total authority" then? Last week? That's quite the oversight on his part during a national health crisis and could be interpreted as gross negligence and costing ppl's lives if he really had the opportunity to do something and didn't, right?

Why should somebody with "total authority" worry about criticism or being blamed for his action or lack thereof? That's not king type behavior.

The Constitution is actually very explicit in what powers the executive branch does and does not have.

So when did he realize that he had "total authority" then? Last week? That's quite the oversight on his part during a national health crisis and could be interpreted as gross negligence and costing ppl's lives if he really had the opportunity to do something and didn't, right?

Why should somebody with "total authority" worry about criticism or being blamed for his action or lack thereof? That's not king type behavior.

The Constitution is actually very explicit in what powers the executive branch does and does not have.

The argument isn't that the emergency powers are explicit, but that they are implicit. Emergency presidential power isn't some new concept.

Trump was asked repeatedly to cite which statute or provision in the constitution granted him this supposed total authority to override governors' stay at home orders.
Every time, he failed to cite anything.

Trump was asked repeatedly to cite which statute or provision in the constitution granted him this supposed total authority to override governors' stay at home orders.
Every time, he failed to cite anything.

Failing to cite a statute or provision of the constitution doesn't change the validity of the legal argument.

Like I said, presidential emergency powers aren't a new concept. It is a pretty interesting legal question.

And with the current composition of the Supreme Court he is probably right on the likely interpretation.

Picking and choosing when you have absolute authoritarian control isn't an interesting legal question, its ******* lunacy especially considering when it could have been used to save more lives and now he wants to use it to literally endanger more people.

Republicans spent decades complaining about the size of the government and the overstep of constitution powers to limit one's rights but are now fine with one individual having unchecked, authoritative power. Makes perfect sense.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that the biggest ******* clown in here is arguing for it right now.

Failing to cite a statute or provision of the constitution doesn't change the validity of the legal argument.

Like I said, presidential emergency powers aren't a new concept. It is a pretty interesting legal question.

And with the current composition of the Supreme Court he is probably right on the likely interpretation.
At this rate, why not just change his title from president to Absolute Monarch? That seems more fitting for such an interpretation of executive power.

At this rate, why not just change his title from president to Absolute Monarch? That seems more fitting for such an interpretation of executive power.

It was in regards to the narrow issue of stay at home orders. Obviously the president doesn't have absolute power to do whatever he wants.

So I was reading a reddit threat that basically boiled down to “being a landlord is unethical.” I’ve never thought about it before, but I was wondering what you worldly folks’ thoughts were.

Back
Top Bottom