***Official Political Discussion Thread***

DOJ has opened a criminal investigation of John Bolton
Should be interesting to see what, if anything, they deem to be leaked classified information. If DOJ argues that certain information is classified, they also concede that Bolton truthfully represented that information.

Last edited:

I look at the Louisville situation like this, the city is paying for the misconduct of the police, and not the other way around. Good on the family for getting compensation (but not really though, Breonna is not here when she absolutely should be), but the police officers haven't been charged nor the rest fired. It's almost a concession of wrongdoing without accountability, which pretty much is a whole lot of nothing, money aside.

I look at the Louisville situation like this, the city is paying for the misconduct of the police, and not the other way around. Good on the family for getting compensation (but not really though, Breonna is not here when she absolutely should be), but the police officers haven't been charged nor the rest fired. It's almost a concession of wrongdoing without accountability, which pretty much is a whole lot of nothing, money aside.

this is why we need a national database for reporting police officer misconduct. It is inconceivable to me that a police officer could be fired for misconduct in assaulting someone and apply to work in a neighboring county's police department. Maybe I'm naive, but I'd like to think a teacher would never get rehired elsewhere if the teacher assaulted a child. Why would a police officer be different?

How do y’all feel about this? It seems like the state is not going to arrest the cops but they are giving the family a bag. I said the same when it comes to the NBA Strike, but I honestly can’t blame anyone (the players with the strike or family in this instance) for making the move in their best financial interest. It’s just sad to see the state go that route.
No knock warrants were legal and the cops said the boyfriend shot first
The city of Louisville pretty much gave their cops the green light to blast as many black people as they wanted too

Best thing for the family is take the money and keep fighting for Breonna's killers to get charged with something

qpt8g8w2w9n51.jpg

Finished 200 out of 887 pages in Woodward’s new book already. I should be able to finish it by the end of the week at most, possibly before the weekend.

Not much has happened so far, aside from Trump admitting to lying to the public about Covid-19, but I’m enjoying the book a lot. Especially the amount of detail and lots of information about the North Korea issue that is largely new to me.

I think the writing style could turn off some people, some may see the amount of detailed descriptions as excessive and often unnecessary in the context of what is being described.

what's the hold up?!? Trump already read the whole book last night, VERY QUICKLY!

in literally less than 1 minute, trump went from saying that military equipment goes obsolete very quickly as a defense to selling military equipment to other countries but also that we've stocked up our arsenal of the same obsolete military equipment. gotta keep defense contractors paid!

i understand the family has been going through a lot, but at this time in history settling for a payout is pretty close to condoning the states murder. these garbage members of humanity in the police will continue doing this without being directly affected by their racist violence.

the family will receive money, this settlement will be forgotten, but the many other people who seek justice for their loved ones killed by police throughout the country will be forgotten as well. this isnt justice. it's shut up money

also, does anyone give a **** about the forced sterilizations taking place to women who have been arrested and caged by ICE? this is full blown nazi ****, not many seem to care and my entire soul is hurting

god **** i'm so disillusioned by the majority of the people in this garbage country that this gets no attention or people arent willing to think this is even possible

i understand the family has been going through a lot, but at this time in history settling for a payout is pretty close to condoning the states murder. these garbage members of humanity in the police will continue doing this without being directly affected by their racist violence.

the family will receive money, this settlement will be forgotten, but the many other people who seek justice for their loved ones killed by police throughout the country will be forgotten as well. this isnt justice. it's shut up money
I dont think thats fair to say that. They are not in control of the grand jury nor in control of bringing charges to those murderers.

They dont take the settlement and then what? These evil ****s will still move with the same impunity they always have. Let's continue to direct this energy to those ppl. The family doesn't deserve that

you're right. i worded that in a manner i shouldn't have
i meant that this settlement gives credence to the state condoning murder from it's murderous cops and that absolution comes in the form of a paycheck in their eyes
the family still shouldn't have taken it. no amount of money will ease their pain
i stand firmly by that, but i also haven't gone what they've been through

also, does anyone give a **** about the forced sterilizations taking place to women who have been arrested and caged by ICE? this is full blown nazi ****, not many seem to care and my entire soul is hurting

god **** i'm so disillusioned by the majority of the people in this garbage country that this gets no attention or people arent willing to think this is even possible

i think we all know that Americans are nothing but hypocrites who turn a blind eye to all the damage our country does

you're right. i worded that in a manner i shouldn't have
i meant that this settlement gives credence to the state condoning murder from it's murderous cops and that absolution comes in the form of a paycheck in their eyes
the family still shouldn't have taken it. no amount of money will ease their pain
i stand firmly by that, but i also haven't gone what they've been through
I feel ya man. I dont what what the right answer is. I posted in the Floyd thread that we all know what the settlement is trying to do and you're right on the city's admission.

I'm still fine with the family taking care of a civil settlement. We can still be out in the streets for them and Breonna. We still want those charges for those pieces of ****. Them getting a check shouldn't deter that imo

The settlement is with the city of Louisville. It has nothing to do with the charges being brought. They can settle for monetary damages to which they are certainly entitled to, get concessions on policing tactics AND still push for the murderers to be arrested. This was just to avoid this going to trial from a civil standpoint. All outrage should be directed towards the State AG, Daniel Cameron with regards to charges being brought. This isn’t the family condoning racist murders and it’s dangerous to posit it as such.

How do y’all feel about this? It seems like the state is not going to arrest the cops but they are giving the family a bag. I said the same when it comes to the NBA Strike, but I honestly can’t blame anyone (the players with the strike or family in this instance) for making the move in their best financial interest. It’s just sad to see the state go that route.

As long as the family can still pursue charges after the cop that shot and killed Breonna then I’m okay with it. If the family is accepting of this then there’s not much anyone of us can say or do from the outside to judge against this decision.
No knock warrants were legal and the cops said the boyfriend shot first
The city of Louisville pretty much gave their cops the green light to blast as many black people as they wanted too

The US Supreme Court ruled AGAINST no knock warrants in Wilson vs. Arkansas in 1995. Hopefully the family of Breonna Taylor still goes forward with a case against the Louisville Police Department if they are still able to given the negotiations of this settlement. That’s why it’s good to know case laws and passed decisions and rulings. The attorney for the Taylor family should hopefully know this and use the ruling of Wilson vs. Arkansas as precedence in a case against the Louisville Police Department.

I have no issue with the family taking the settlement, there is a civil part to this, and a criminal.

Justice will be served when BOTH are satisfied.

When these murderous police are put in jail, and the family is paid extensive damages

We are only half way there. The family taking the money doesn't in any way make them look like the are condoning this or trying to sweep this under the rug. It does the opposite.

They deserve a massive payment from the city, and the cop still need to be charged. Whether charges are brought is outta there control. However, the civil side (however limited) was within their control and the pursed damages.

The only reasonable objection I can see someone having is that they wished they took it to trial instead. But I don't blame them for not doing so because this tragedy happened to their family, no one else's.

Not like the family are acting like this is the end of it. And neither should anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom