***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I don't have a problem with entertainers speaking up and wanting to be political active I won't go Fox News "shut up and dribble" I want them to get involved and be active and throw their weight around. BUT I cant pretend like its not annoying how sometimes they try to jump in and come up with they plans like they got it all figured out like no one else been on this or have even better more fleshed out plans. There are plenty of black activists and academics who have been on this been had plans been wrote the books been broke this down been debated this etc. Use your platform to promote those people and their work and use that as the basis for what policy you wanna support with the power you have. Accept you new to this and don't have all the answers but lean on the knowledge and the expertise of those who have dedicated their lives to this

Well said. It’s frustrating.

Bro....you’d THINK they’d even reach out to the good brother, Ta-Nehisi Coates. And he went to congress to lay out the case for reparations. Mitch McConnell and republicans would not even hear it. Think cube and them was hip to this, when they try to play like nobody is doing anything? Nope

Nope. All that ego, not knowing etc gets in their way. It’s much easier and convienent and safer To lean into not knowing anything, and Just high level touch points with reactionaries. Then sit back, get a fuller view, learn some things, come with an actionable plan...then proceed with timing and action. Than to do what they do. They could’ve been doing this the entire time. Cube said he was busy rapping and making albums, big 3....because he figured someone else was doing the work (they were) its being obstructed. And the people in true power, want none of what your asking for. If you want to change or abolish the system....you have to put in place people who want to do the same. Or you have to resort to violence. It’s that simple.

Imagine boosting brothers like this Ta-henisi Coates on a platform. One who’s doing the research and work. And he’s one of the more popular ones. There are a lot of black men & women doing the work too.

These
Well said. It’s frustrating.

Bro....you’d THINK they’d even reach out to the good brother, Ta-Nehisi Coates. And he went to congress to lay out the case for reparations. Mitch McConnell and republicans would not even hear it. Think cube and them was hip to this, when they try to play like nobody is doing anything? Nope

Nope. All that ego, not knowing etc gets in their way. It’s much easier and convienent and safer To lean into not knowing anything, and Just high level touch points with reactionaries. Then sit back, get a fuller view, learn some things, come with an actionable plan...then proceed with timing and action. Than to do what they do. They could’ve been doing this the entire time. Cube said he was busy rapping and making albums, big 3....because he figured someone else was doing the work (they were) its being obstructed. And the people in true power, want none of what your asking for. If you want to change or abolish the system....you have to put in place people who want to do the same. Or you have to resort to violence. It’s that simple.

Imagine boosting brothers like this Ta-henisi Coates on a platform. One who’s doing the research and work. And he’s one of the more popular ones. There are a lot of black men & women doing the work too.

The same thing with Scam Newton and others. Rather than defer to those that are actually doing the work and supporting their efforts 🤡 like O'Shea Jackson, Sean Combs and Kanye Biscuits Kardashian let their ego get in the way and speak without educating themselves first. I said it before with Scam, these folks are used to sitting at the grown-up table for everything and assume they know what they're doing without educating themselves at the kid's table first. To be an entertainment activist takes work and as my brother KHUFU KHUFU has mentioned you rarely see Black women celebs make these same mistakes which speaks to why my position has always been of Black women support a candidate that's who I need to support. I know not everyone will agree but I'd even go as far as to say that I'd rather hear Megan the Stallion's views over O'Shea Jackson's. Look at celebs like Sophia Bush that are full blown activists and how informed they are as compared to a dude that got played by Republicans.

I'm glad Cube sat down with ADOS. They helped him revise parts of CWBA and brought in focus on wealth data in America. Cube is taking more of a collaborative approach seems vs Diddy tryna to create and be in control of a party. Repairing black folks from the harm done the build this nation everyone benefits from should not be a partisan political issue. It should be common sense.

America literally cannot afford systematic racism if we want to remain competitive in this new emerging digital economy. As small as the american population is compared to other countries, there is waaaaaay more than enough to go around.

I'm glad Cube sat down with ADOS. They helped him revise parts of CWBA and brought in focus on wealth data in America. Cube is taking more of a collaborative approach seems vs Diddy tryna to create and be in control of a party. Repairing black folks from the harm done the build this nation everyone benefits from should not be a partisan political issue. It should be common sense.

America literally cannot afford systematic racism if we want to remain competitive in this new emerging digital economy. As small as the american population is compared to other countries, there is waaaaaay more than enough to go around.
-Liberals are Democrats are not choosing to make it a partisan issue. The Republicans are. It is the Republicans are the ones that adopted the Southern strategy, it is the Republicans that fully embraced white nationalism. Democrats for all their faults have been marching in a different direction for a couple of generations now.

Cube and others' failure to not see that, that is why they get played and their both sides hot takes fall flat. There is no deal to be made with Republicans right now, because Republicans don't need the black vote, they don't want to be held accountable to the black vote.

Cube really thinks that he can cut a deal for black empowerment with the party that openly tries to suppress the black votes, appeals to racist, pushes harmful policy that is the antithesis of what Cuba wants. In the last few years ending with Barret, the GOP has stacked the court with judges hostile to black people, judges will roll back civil rights and labor protections. But Cube still thinks Trump and the Republicans are in any way serious about helping black America? After being made a fool of the struggle Platinum plan. He and others that think like him are just a useful idiots in waiting for the GOP.

The only way for the GOP to be disciplined is if they lose continuously with this strategy they have for the next 16 plus years, and while in power the Dems pass legislation that makes their brand of politics impossible to be successful. And they can do that with pro-democracy reforms. For the black community to have real options at the polls, they must first punish the GOP for their malfeasance, help crush them, force them to reform. Hopefully, more robust reforms can be pushed through where there are even more political options beyond two.

-Economics has not properly disciplined racist for hundreds of years. I doubt this supposed "new digital economy" makes the white power structure gonna wake up and say "oh damn, we need to change our ways". White supremacy and crony capital are intertwined, they support one another, they feed one another. Plus the digital economy will not fix the structural issues facing most black Americans either.

There has always been waaaaaaaaaaayyyy more than enough to go around in America. That hasn't motivated racist, conservatives, and crony capitalist to reform.

Folk like Ice Cube will continue to get played because they a) don't understand the game b) they overestimate their bargaining power

More simply, the GOP...
The_Wire_Clay_Davis.jpg

Cube and them both sides brothas...
The_Wire_Stringer_Bell.jpg

Last edited:
If republicans actually do champion some form of reparations for Black Americans, could this be the event that causes the parties to flip like the Dixiecrats did after Civil Rights movement and legislation?

Why are the real consequences if either party actually says yes to comprehensive reparations specifically for black americans?

If republicans actually do champion some form of reparations for Black Americans, could this be the event that causes the parties to flip like the Dixiecrats did after Civil Rights movement and legislation?

Why are the real consequences if either party actually says yes to comprehensive reparations specifically for black americans?

You have a growing number of house/senate Democrats open to reparations. Republicans won’t even study it.

The parties are so polar now...that the current republicans/white people will abandon that party altogether and create something entirely new...if the current GOP somehow/someway decided to pass reparations.

No, because the level of partisanship is different now than in the 1960s. Also, the prior realignment took time, with different actions feeding into one another. The Republicans could have recovered from Goldwater, but right afterward they started the Southern Strategy.

The Parties didn't really flip, this is a misconception. The Dixiecrats were the racist southern wing of the Dem Party, but the GOP had the same Southern white racist. The thing is that the Dixiecrats had better economic plans, white people preferred the New Deal policy, so they go into power more in the South. The GOP was not an anti-racist party. They mirrored the Dems, with some supporting civil rights and others not. The just that the Dems had more power. What happened really is that the Dixiecrats left the Democratic Party after the party committed to Civil Rights for African Americans, and join with the Republican Party. That increased the share of white supremacists within the Republican ranks, and the moderates could no longer hold power within the Republican Party. Then those moderates joined the Dems. It wasn't a flip more than a reorganization of both parties.

If reparations happen, there will be no flip either. The Democratic Party will not become a white supremacist party, nor will reparations gain the GOP over 85% of the black vote.

The real consequences are they, the GOP, will alienate a ton of white voters. The GOP spent decades swinging underserved power to rural white America, their whole plan to stay in power is based on their high levels of support in those areas. Politically for the GOP, in best case scenario, gaining 30-40 percent of the black vote (which they have systemically weakened for decades as well) in exchange for the rural white vote abandoning the right, is a bad trade-off for them.

Furthermore, reparations while absolutely warranted is not a panacea for the plight of America Americans. The rest of the GOP's platform undermines much of the economic good reparation will have. Black folk still need and deserve way more reforms beyond reparations.

Last edited:

What's in it for republicans? Why appeal to 13% of the population, that has no money, concentrated in areas with marginalized voting power, and risk alienating your loyal and powerful plurality of the 60% of Americans that identify as white (not even counting white-hispanics) with all the wealth behind them built up by the american government? There's a reason the parties switched.

For republicans just studying the effects of awarding reparations would be suicidal. Compared to democrats that actually want to explore the idea. If you watched the DNC debates the subject of reparations came up a few times. Republican debates would never. Republicans can't even admit that our lives matter while democrats are hoping to elect a Vice-President that supports the idea in Kamala. Bring that up the next time someone goes "both sides".

Since we're on the topic of reparations, I came across this video on Twitter a few days back.

Any serious attempt at reparations would involve scholars and activists who've studied, lobbied, and advocated for structured and researched plans for it. I don't think the GOP would A) even think about reparations and B) contact folks like Coates, Nikole Hannah-Jones, Serwer, Jamele Bouie, William Darity, etc to help come up with policy. Dems might, based on what we know of their outreach so far. But the biggest thing is, why would we remotely align the GOP and the word "policy" in the same sentence? They don't even attempt to govern whatsoever, and we're living the results of that right now.

I condemned those posts, period. Never once did I like one or indicate any sort of support whatsoever—because I thought they were ridiculous. And mostly thought they were some new “satirical” characters. Some diet aepps20 aepps20

But in an effort not to clog the thread with that back and forth, do you think the impact of Biden’s 94 Crime bill has been more or less detrimental, to black people, than Trump’s rhetoric? And what legislation did Biden get passed that ended that effects of that legislation—to go along with his apology? That is a serious question. I’m not advancing an argument, but I really would like to know your opinion on that.
Maybe you can first compare Trump's meaningful legislation to all of the harm that his administration does.

Finally watched Cube’s talk with Roland Martin today and man.... Y’all pretty much hit on all of the points. It’s insulting to the people dedicating their life’s work to the movement and cause though when Cube comes spewing nonsense like he came up with the CWBA because no one else was doing it so he had to. It’s hurtful too because of his platform, he’s actually someone who low information or disaffected voters will listen to. His basic understanding of civics and the policies that he’s discussing is very elementary. Heart in the right place, but he should either get educated on the issues and recircle, or move out of the way and stop taking up space and let the actual activists who didn’t have the luxury to be making movies or music in 2016 and 2018 continue doing the much needed work.

Rudy going from the guy who was the face of bringing america together after 9/11 to actively working with foreign enemies to help re-elect the most divisive candidate in American history has to be the greatest heel turn ever, right?
Think he already turned heel by terrorizing Black and Brown people in NY with stop and frisk policies :lol:.

Rudy going from the guy who was the face of bringing america together after 9/11 to actively working with foreign enemies to help re-elect the most divisive candidate in American history has to be the greatest heel turn ever, right?

I don't think so. Mostly because you missed what came before. Before he was the face of post-9/11 America, he was the racist district attorney who rode the wave of rioting police officers and deep disdain for the city's first black mayor (David Dinkins) into office. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/10/23/rudy-giuliani-today-is-just-same-old-rudy/).

Perhaps, then, his conciliatory gestures after 9/11 was nothing more than a momentary departure from his overall depravity. Less a "heel turn" than Ghouliani digging in his heels to collaborate with fascists.

Back
Top Bottom