***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Well yeah, we’re saving Jim bob too even if we don’t like jim bob.

we’re saving delk, I mean Jim bob from himself because his mind is so sick and brainwashed it’s no good anymore and he should be incapable of having an impact on anyone’s life by voting for regressive policies. Let alone MORE of an impact because the electoral college.

This sub has been compiling a list of Trump's scandals and misdeeds since he got inaugurated. This particular post is a non-exhaustive list of all the ways he is trying to entangle the next administration into BS before it even starts.

A week after Michael Flynn secured a full pardon from President Donald Trump, the ex-national security adviser is under fire for sharing a call for his former boss to "immediately declare a limited form of martial law, and temporarily suspend the Constitution and civilian control of these federal elections, for the sole purpose of having the military oversee a national re-vote."

Trump, who continues to baselessly claim that his loss to President-elect Joe Biden was the result of a "rigged election" and file lawsuits challenging the results, pardoned Flynn last week—even though Flynn, who was a senior adviser to Trump's first presidential campaign before briefly joining his administration, had pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI.

Flynn took to Twitter late Tuesday to share a press release from the Ohio nonprofit We The People Convention (WTPC), which bought a full-page ad in the Washington Times urging Trump to invoke martial law to hold a new election "when the legislators, courts and/or Congress fail to do their duty under the 12th Amendment" of the Constitution, which details the procedure for electing the president and vice president.

That's a three-star general who once swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution.

Exactly, once again conflating "bad policy" with things that he doesn't agree with, because Osh has to be right. :lol: There's nothing bad about providing more resources, programming, jobs and better education to undeserved communities as a means addressing crime in comparison to "better training". Reducing this to better training and a more diverse force (not what you're doing completely, but largely) completely ignores the crux of the issue here.

1. all of it is bad. the slogan the policy, all of it.

2. again nothing about more "resources, programming, jobs and better education" necessitates defunding the police. and

and if you think demilitarizing police is enough to fund all those things you are bugging.

most of police budgets are police salaries and pensions which are collectively bargained. only way to make a real dent is to make serious cuts in manpower and hours. and that pretty clearly a bad idea.

murder rates in cities are spiking.
and violent crime solve rates are low.

these things cannot just be solved with "more education" you need better police and more of them.

this idea that people who live in high crime neighborhoods should just suffer through crime while they wait for the crime reducing benefits of jobs, and education to trickle down is just totally absurd.

Like there is zero incentive for the police to be less corrupt. You really just hoping a change in demographics leads to systematic change. A bigger police force that can't truly be held accountable is ****ing dangerous, all it takes is one budget shortfall away from being incentivized to start plundering minority and poor communities to plug the holes.

this i understand,

I see what you mean and I kinda share that fear a bit

but I dunno,

I lived in a high crime neighborhood for good bit of time during and after school and while the people the culture were cool, the crime aspect was difficult to deal with.

and I was some student with no kids, I can't imagine the parents tryna raise kids and deal with that.

My girlfriend grew up in a high crime area in Toronto, 2018 she had multiple friends shot and killed, killers never found.

given the amount of police killings and the much higher amount of citizen on citizen violence it just seems like stopping citizen on citizen crime is gunna save more lives.

this i understand,

I see what you mean and I kinda share that fear a bit

but I dunno,

I lived in a high crime neighborhood for good bit of time during and after school and while the people the culture were cool, the crime aspect was difficult to deal with.

and I was some student with no kids, I can't imagine the parents tryna raise kids and deal with that.

My girlfriend grew up in a high crime area in Toronto, 2018 she had multiple friends shot and killed, killers never found.

given the amount of police killings and the much higher amount of citizen on citizen violence it just seems like stopping citizen on citizen crime is gunna save more lives.
But killings are not the only thing people have to deal with. I lived in NYC during stop-n-frisk and that was hell, look at what Fegeuson cops did to that community, I got horror story upon horror stories about **** Baltimore Police did to folk. Bad policing goes far beyond killings.

I live in high crime areas too, it was tough, and I sympathize with parents that have to raise their kids in that. However, more police don't guarantee that your crime problem is fixed, and when police try to suppress crime, innocent civilians get caught up too. If people really want crime to eliminated, they need to end the austerity measures other parts of the socioeconomic system faces.

The same argument you are making was the same way black folk rationalized the need for tough on crime policies in the 80s and 90s. Just like you, I think those people meant well too. But Look how that turned out. Like what in American history tells us that running that playback won't become with a major societal cost too.

I dunno, maybe because I have heard so many horror stories and was almost killed by the NYPD I just can't buy into such a policy prescription without a major rework of how we hold the police accountable for their misconduct.

Last edited:
But killings are not the only thing people have to deal with. I lived in NYC during stop-n-frisk and that was hell, look at what Fegeuson cops did to that community, I got horror story upon horror stories about **** Baltimore Police did to folk. Bad policing goes far beyond killings.

I live in high crime areas too, it was tough, and I sympathize with parents that have to raise their kids in that. However, more police don't guarantee that your crime problem is fixed, and when police try to suppress crime, innocent civilians get caught up too. If people really want crime to eliminated, they need to end the austerity measures other parts of the socioeconomic system faces.

The same argument you are making was the same way black folk rationalized the need for tough on crime policies in the 80s and 90s. Just like you, I think those people meant well. But Look how that turned out. Like what in American history tells us that running that playback won't become with a major societal cost too.

I dunno, maybe because I have heard so many horror stories and were almost killed by the NYPD I just can't buy into such a policy prescription without a major rework of how we hold the police accountable for their misconduct.

But did you get the UNC 3s though?

I work with a lot of super progressive white people, they flood the slack with defund the police memes that doesn't even make sense.
To think, Sharon at work posted rose Twitter memes in #random and we've had to live with this ever since:

AMAB.gif

Hug-the-Police.gif

gotta stay silent at work.

so I take out my frustration on Niketalk.

at work I gotta pretend to be a vegan, 15th wave feminist critical race theorist who inhabits a black body. :lol:

1. all of it is bad. the slogan the policy, all of it.
Sigh. This is wrong. But you keep repeating it, so you think it's right.

For instance, when Reuters/Ipsos queried people about “proposals to move some money currently going to police budgets into better officer training, local programs for homelessness, mental health assistance, and domestic violence,” a whopping 76 percent of people who were familiar with those proposals supported them, with only 22 percent opposed. Democrats and independents supported these proposals in huge numbers while Republicans were split, 51 percent in favor to 47 percent opposed

People like the ideas.

The slogan is unpopular with most demographic groups, too, with two notable exceptions: Black Americans and Democrats. In the two polls where results were broken down by race, Black respondents said they supported defunding the police by an average of 45 percent to 28 percent, while white respondents opposed it by an average of 61 percent to 23 percent. This is in line with other polls that have consistently shown that white people mostly see police in a favorable light, while Black people are likelier to have experienced mistreatment at officers’ hands and take the problem of police violence seriously. So what we’re seeing here may be another reflection of Black and white Americans’ different experiences with police.

You've even suggested it was unpopular with Black folks before -- maybe in the home of Bagged Milk, but not here.

Americans like the ideas behind defund the police more than the slogan itself

murder rates in cities are spiking.
and violent crime solve rates are low.

these things cannot just be solved with "more education" you need better police and more of them.
This sounds like a right wing misinformation ad.

Poverty and violent crime is highly correlated. Wealth inequality is worsening in cities. You can address this by attacking inequality immediately.
this idea that people who live in high crime neighborhoods should just suffer through crime while they wait for the crime reducing benefits of jobs, and education to trickle down is just totally absurd.
You're literally the only one who is suggesting this. You know what's going to likely lead to more crime? A poorly handled pandemic heading into the winter and people in worsening conditions of poverty. The answer here isn't more and "better trained" police. The answer is uncomfortable, because it's not how people have addressed these issues in Black and Brown communities in the history of this country. But that doesn't make it bad policy or untenable just because you don't like it.

gotta stay silent at work.

so I take out my frustration on Niketalk.

at work I gotta pretend to be a vegan, 15th wave feminist critical race theorist who inhabits a black body. :lol:

I work in a very white male dominated institution/profession and my coworkers openly roast Trump more than I do but I still feel some kinda way for different reasons. Like I'm uncomfortable discussing politics at work but I can't sit here idle and let these white mf have all the fun. So to represent for the black delegation every now and then I gotta throw a well timed jab at MAGAs and "hillbillies".

Nobody played with Andrew Yang as a kid. Fake news

True, True, but look,

This whole thread is a vast coalition of nerds. We got left, right, and center get nerds. Tall nerds, short nerds. Black nerds, white nerds, Latinx nerds, Asian nerds. Northern nerds, Southern nerds. East Coast nerds and West Coast nerds. We have an intellectual diversity of nerds as we have nerds who went to law school and nerds who went to graduate school. We got some nerds who, inexplicably played sports in high school and nerds, who very explicably were theater kid nerds back in high school. What we have in common is s that we are all, temperamentally at least though not ideologically, Andrew Yangs.

Back
Top Bottom