***Official Political Discussion Thread***

The logic behind making Bloomberg the nominee is painfully stupid. Okay maybe you get some support from “moderates” but you give women, young people, and people of color the middle finger in the process. If y’all thought the minority and under 30 turnout was bad in 2016,Bloomberg being at the top of the ticket would drive that **** into the negative :lol:

People treat political parties like gangs.if Bloomberg was a republican with the same record, folk would be in his ***, but instead they’re on CNN defending his half assed apologies.
Facts. And I think a Bloomberg nomination would not only drive voter turnout to record lows in 2020, I think it would alienate untold millions of young, working-class, and black and brown voters from the Democratic Party and perhaps from electoral politics altogether. I think the effects could be absolutely catastrophic, with reverberations far beyond this election cycle, whether Bloomberg won or lost the general.

Facts. And I think a Bloomberg nomination would not only drive voter turnout to record lows in 2020, I think it would alienate untold millions of young, working-class, and black and brown voters from the Democratic Party and perhaps from electoral politics altogether. I think the effects could be absolutely catastrophic, with reverberations far beyond this election cycle, whether Bloomberg won or lost the general.

Yeah Bloomberg might be the last straw for the progressive and the party would split. On the flip there is a smaller chance the same happens in Bernie is the nominee..... This the dems version of 2016 when the tea party got into it with the establishment. A really interesting line of thought is would Bernie be better "passing" legislation than Trump is?

I also wonder has anyone on Bloomberg's staff ever told him "You know if you didn't talk so much racist/sexist/classis5 **** you could have probably got away with supporting stop and frisk and said you were open to learning like Pete." Talking reality to power is what they get paid all the big bucks for right?

I liked the dunking one but ended up getting this one off the bernie site because i liked the statement on it.
8D3F6222-A653-4D0A-8297-5F06CE160744.jpeg
FB488339-6ACA-42EB-A992-EAE9EBD7A842.jpeg

Yeah Bloomberg might be the last straw for the progressive and the party would split. On the flip there is a smaller chance the same happens in Bernie is the nominee..... This the dems version of 2016 when the tea party got into it with the establishment. A really interesting line of thought is would Bernie be better "passing" legislation than Trump is?

I also wonder has anyone on Bloomberg's staff ever told him "You know if you didn't talk so much racist/sexist/classis5 **** you could have probably got away with supporting stop and frisk and said you were open to learning like Pete." Talking reality to power is what they get paid all the big bucks for right?

Fortunately, it’s not symmetrical at all. There are millions of hard core Bernie supporters who do not have any attachment or affection for the Democratic Party and would not vote if Bloomberg is the nominee. By contrast, most of the people supporting Bloomberg right now are doing do because they saw him on TV a lot recently. There is no appreciable number of people who love Bloomberg.

Also, a year or so ago, I was worried that lots of non Bernie supporting Dems would not vote for him in but I have seen that outside of the media and the chattering classes, rank and file Dem voters will ore for Sanders if he’s the nominee. What’s really interesting is that people who are moderately interested just do not see nearly as sharp of a left-progressive-moderate-centrist divide. There are so many normies who like Bernie and also Pete Buttigieg and also Tom Steyer and Elizabeth Warren and they will cast their ballot based on whoever seems nicest. All they know is they really don’t like Trump.

It’s crazy but also kind of refreshing to see people who think that way.

The economic point to emphasize is that there simply is no systemic problem of Americans going to the doctor too much or staying in the hospital too much. Unlike normal, consumer goods, virtually everyone’s ideal consumption level of healthcare is zero.

A component of neoliberalism is that the mass of people, who have health insurance, are hypochondriacs and will just run to the doctor on a whim unless they paid a portion of the cost of the doctor visit or hospital stay out of pocket.

With private insurance, deductibles and co-pays are cash grabs by insurance companies and little more. Bloomberg is talking about co-pays for Medicaid recipients. Putting aside the obvious cruelty of charging any out of pocket costs on people who are living either below or just slightly above the poverty line and rely upon the State provided insurance program which is Medicaid. From a standpoint of rationing care and limiting systemwide costs, co-pays for poor people is a bad idea.

Most all poor people are in one of four situations. They have a job which has no paid sick time off and might fair them for missing even a day of work. Other poor people are self employed at very low paid jobs like selling fruit or gathering recyclables and not showing up to hustle cuts into their already meager income. Some poor folk are neither employed nor self employed but they take care of family and do the unwaged domestic labor that allows others to be employed, going to the doctor would impose on their friends or family who rely on their domestic labor. Finally, there are poor people who cannot work and they are likely disabled so going to the doctor is difficult to get there. All four groups tend to have limited transportation options as well.

So even when facing zero out of pocket costs, going to the doctor is a costly proposition for poor people. When people don’t go to the doctor they may be hospitalized a few days later or they may infect others or they may have a potentially devastating disease go undetected when early detection could have be a life saver. The costs in human and mo start terms are high when people who are unwell don’t go to the doctor or when people skip checkups and routine screenings.

In a more rational system we’d pay low income people to go to the doctor. I’m an even more rational system no one would be poor but hey, baby steps. Incentivize people on Medicaid to do routine screenings and to go to the doctor when high fever and severe respiratory symptoms are apperantk.

We're we supposed to like Goonberg?

Nah but based on the points being discussed in here, like rex’s post above - I thought it was pretty clear from the jump that he is basically just running on being a toned down Trump aka Trump Lite. This is under the guise that if he were to get the nod, He’d get the traditional Dem voters and those that chose Trump over Hillary and perhaps even some Republican voters that think is OD.

Dude has jumped to no.2 in the polls nationally in the span of a month with zero debates or primary participation yet...

I really don't think it's an overreaction to be concerned about his candidacy and take it very seriously given how he's managed to jump ahead of just about everyone by literally just spamming the airwaves and internet with ads, at least not if Liberals don't want their own Trump 2.0

He's following much of the same playbook tiny hands used in 2016 and the media still has tremendous influence on a good portion of the electorate so don't think it's impossible for him to succeed in buying the nomination just because people should know better.

More heat from the NYT

Dude has jumped to no.2 in the polls nationally in the span of a month with zero debates or primary participation yet...

I really don't think it's an overreaction to be concerned about his candidacy and take it very seriously given how he's managed to jump ahead of just about everyone by literally just spamming the airwaves and internet with ads, at least not if Liberals don't want their own Trump 2.0

He's following much of the same playbook tiny hands used in 2016 and the media still has tremendous influence on a good portion of the electorate so don't think it's impossible for him to succeed in buying the nomination just because people should know better.

More heat from the NYT

Exactly what I’m saying.

"The Philippines ended the Visiting Forces Agreement, which allows the US military to operate within the Philippines and grants access to the South China Sea. Is President Duterte doing the right thing for the wrong reasons?"

Jeff Bezos announced a $10 billion pledge to fight climate change and the Bernie Bros on my twitter feed are tying themselves in knots trying to find the downside

Back
Top Bottom