***Official Political Discussion Thread***

what an absolute clown. what a waste of 5 minutes to try and score political points and miserably fail.

1596240835133.jpeg

maybe you should want more than "okay" from your elected representatives. quit thinking of politics like sports for a second, drop the "my team does no wrong" attitude, and recognize that our country has absolutely botched their response to this pandemic. Instead of a uniformed response from the top down, the president himself continued to downplay the virus, said it would disappear, the heat would kill it, it would go away, undermined his own national health advisors, retweeted conspiracy theorists, and continues to hold rallies while not requiring them to wear masks.

Mistakes were made without doubt.

This administration is certainly not above valid criticism.

I think we agree on the points you’ve made. Okay is not enough.

We need to get the word out to people that they need to mail their ballots in as soon as possible.

A Trump crony is determine to low down mail delivery so ballots won't reach on time.

Right. Within a day or two of getting that ballot, a voter should go:

1. Biden (don’t have to worry about driving so have a little overproof rum)
2.) either Democrat for congress or the leftmost candidate if it’s a top two primary State.
3.) repeat step 2 for State offices.
4.) everything else, consult the leftmost org that you trust

Put three times as much postage as you think it needs and mail it.

Mistakes were made without doubt.

This administration is certainly not above valid criticism.

I think we agree on the points you’ve made. Okay is not enough.

to clarify, I do not think the administration’s response was “okay” in case you think I was agreeing with you on that point. Disastrous would be putting it lightly.

your argument that they saved plenty of lives also seems disingenuous. a house is on fire, and in the 10 minutes it takes for the fire department to get there, the house and 3 next to it all burn down. You can’t with a straight face say, “well look. If they got there later, we'd have 10 houses burned down! only 4 burned down" especially when we know the fire department could've got there in 5 minutes instead of 10 and if they did, only 2 houses would burn down.

we should've shut down earlier, required masks, and not let up as soon as we did. if he did, we could've significantly slowed down the spread, limited its impact, and opened our economy sooner and safer.

instead, the president downplayed the virus for the sake of the economy, undermined our nations top infectious disease expert, and continues to hold maskless rallies. we are the world leader in infections and deaths for a reason. it's because our response was disastrous.

I think tiktok is corny AF but dude needs to stop acting like he's not just trying to ban them off the fact they're a successful Chinese company in America. Barron getting 0 cheeks in high school if his dad gets TikTok banned

I'm tired of these so-called "scientists" and "experts" trying to "analyze" the coronavirus response. As if learning how we messed up is supposed to change anything.

Sure they were saying all along that Trump was doing the wrong thing and now they've been proven right but I'm not going to admit I'm an ignorant buffoon. Fact is, those bum scientists probably time traveled or used some other cheat code to embarrass my president.

Maybe he made some mistakes, like not recognizing in January that this was a real pandemic and right away ramping up production of hydroxychloroquine. Or not instituting Marshall's law right away to silence the media and imprison all those mumbo jumbo academics with their "data" and "studies" and hokus pokus predictions (aka Monday morning quarterbacking).

Let's quit looking to a magical entity like Fraudci or scientists for how to fix our problems and let's start praying more and asking Jesus to bless Trump. Because, look, at the end of the day, I might be a fool, or I might be a troll, but I am definitely not going to try to understand data.

If Tiktok were around when I was 19, 20, 21, I'd have performatively hated it. I was so concerned with being taken seriously and proving myself to hegemonic forces such as wealthy, institutional gate-keeping boomers. I have since learned that trying to impress powerful people, who refuse to take you seriously, is a fool's errand. Therefore, I like Tiktok, I don't post on it but I like the content, usually.

Now I'm not a tankie who capes for China and First World Maoists, who claim that contemporary China is Maoist and anti-imperialist, are foolish. But I would say that the increasingly belligerent stance the US is taking towards China, in recent years, is the result of the fact that US owned and US aligned capital stocks are being moved from China into South East Asia and towards other low-wage region.

In the 1990's, 2000's and through the early 2010's, the oligarchs, who run the US, told politicians that they may use China as a rhetorical foil and as an outlet for the anger caused by the neoliberal hollowing out of the US Middle Class. The factory used to be in Michigan and now it is in Shenzhen, that is why you will have a lower standard of living compared to your parents, you see. However, China was not to be seriously antagonized, in any meaningful economic or geostrategic sense, from about 1990 to about 2015, because the oligarchs were so deeply enmeshed with China economically.

I do not mean to be alarmist. The shift of US owned or US aligned capital out of China is happening at the margin. We are many, many steps from a shooting war. This shutdown of a video sharing app is a small development but it is an indication of the fact that capitalism is coming full circle, its latest stage is like its earliest stages, hyper nationalistic. The last time capital was hyper nationalist (as opposed to international in character), we had the breakout of two World Wars.

If capitalism is not eliminated or is, at least, severally checked by international and democratic forces, we will have a devastating world war where oligarchs of the major powers will sacrifice a generation of its working class to force open new markets and access to resources. If capitalism continues unimpeded our children or grandchildren will perish in a world war, that is if climate change does kill them first.

With a future so gloomy, is it any wonder why today's youth don't give a f--k and express their hopes, fears and rapid left wing radicalize in short videos set to catchy tracks.

I do not mean to be alarmist. The shift of US owned or US aligned capital out of China is happening at the margin. We are many, many steps from a shooting war. This shutdown of a video sharing app is a small development but it is an indication of the fact that capitalism is coming full circle, its latest stage is like its earliest stages, hyper nationalistic. The last time capital was hyper nationalist (as opposed to international in character), we had the breakout of two World Wars.
Well said.
If it is often acknowledged that WWII was a result of the poor conclusion of WWI (and Germany getting the proverbial shaft); however, very little is said about the origins of WWI precisely because it is an indictment on capitalism without bounds, which was mostly manifested by territorial expansion through the acquisition of lands outside of Europe (imperialism), the resulting arms race, and the multiplication of regional alliances explicitly antagonistic to nations outside said alliances.

The attempt to reduce restrictions on current weapon development/trade and to emphasize regional alliances at the expense of global/continental ones should worry people for this very reason: it is a return to the conditions that led to WWI.

Back
Top Bottom