***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Crazy to read that a Black woman that graduated from one of the top HBCUs in the country and is a member of a prominent Black sorority is not popular with young black people. Maybe I live in a bubble

this whole Kamala Harris thing has got me looking like both the gifs the more i consider the different perspectives
jag.gif
alonzo.gif

Visceral reaction for me was like is this a play for the black vote? how out of touch does the biden camp have to be to think that Kamala curries broad favor with the black community? I dont see her doing particular well with black men (14% voting for trump) 1. because of her prosecutorial record and 2. because of less substantive reasons like her being married to a white man, and because she doesnt look like any mama or aunty thay theyve ever seen. I also think shes going to do the same thing to white women that hillary clinton did which for whatever nonsensical reason pushed them towards trump.

BUT i transitioned to Alonzo after considering a few things. Biden picks up the slack for alot of the crowd that Hillary and presumably Kamala pushes away in a way that the Hillary-Tim Kaine combo didnt. And like Hillary, Kamala comes a lot of experience, which is something that we need back in the white house desperately. And as a senator shes been pretty damn progressive.
Now, one thing I didnt really consider until recently is the weird position it puts the opposition in

Im not a fan of Harris's past. But if she can be used as a shovel to dig america out of the mess we're in, i'm with it.

Nate Silver man a good point about Harris/Abrams, and he said he probably thinks that Biden's team was smart enough to know. The VP pick doesn't move the polls overall that much, the upside to the pick is either picking someone from a swing state, or picking someone marginal voters will like. Biden's issue is that Biden already does well with the marginal white voter, he is a guy on the ticket that are putting them at ease, so picking some to sure up these voters are redundant. Second, the most important swing state is probably Wisconsin, so Tammy Baldwin is an obvious choice, but picking her probably means losing that Senate seat for at best a few years and at worst, forever. Abrams performance even considering how much Kemp cheated, doesn't really show her to be someone that will swing Georgia to him, and she has downsides as a political unknown. So the choice would probably be a competent known progressive, that suburban dwellers like, leaving Harris and Warren.

Also with the exception of 2004, this the one or the few time the VP pick is left of the Presidential candidate.

She is Obama 2.0. Especially next to Biden. All politicians have plans. What happened to all of Obama's proposed plans? What policy is she signing?
We need more than "Hope" and symbolic victories.
She's visually a black woman for optics but she's even more colorless than Obama.
Easy, the Senate filibuster happened

The president is not the King of America (executive order can only go so far), an institution that structurally enforces the power of while male conservatives got in his way.

Then the Dems lost the House two years into his Presidency.

Obama didn't just give up on them once taking office.

You want more substantive change, I agree with you, that is why I want the filibuster to go and for DC and Puerto Rico to become states. Electoral and procedural reforms are need for progressive to happed.

-And I am not even gonna touch the biracial **** you slipped in there

Last edited:
Nate Silver man a good point about Harris/Abrams, and he said he probably thinks that Biden's team was smart enough to know. The VP pick doesn't move the polls overall that much, the upside to the pick is either picking someone from a swing state, or picking someone marginal voters will like. Biden's issue is that Biden already does well with the marginal white voter, he is a guy on the ticket that are putting them at ease, so picking some to sure up these voters are redundant. Second, the most important swing state is probably Wisconsin, so Tammy Baldwin is an obvious choice, but picking her probably means losing that Senate seat for at best a few years and at worst, forever. Abrams performance even considering how much Kemp cheated, doesn't really show her to be someone that will swing Georgia to him, and she has downsides as a political unknown. So the choice would probably be a competent known progressive, that suburban dwellers like, leaving Harris and Warren.

Also with the exception of 2004, this the one or the few time the VP pick is left of the Presidential candidate.

Now all thats left to do is remind the bernie/warren crowd that Harris is actually to the left of Biden, which is a good thing.

You highlight great points.

Kamala was easily the best strategic pick for Biden in my opinion.

People like me can't call him out for not picking a black running mate. And, like you stated, folks on the left calling her a cop puts the right in an odd spot considering the outward support for police by many on the right.

The only logical response to a Biden-Harris ticket, from the right, is to focus on the points Harris aimed at Biden during the primary. By focusing on Biden's troubling past, and stating that Biden only picked Kamala as a disingenuous way to garner black support, the right can take the focus from her and put it back on Biden.

That's a hard sell. And you could tell from Trump's initial response that he really didn't have much to say and wasn't prepared for that pick.

Still, I think Biden wins with the Harris pick. Honestly, Bernie supporters and other disgruntled progressives sitting it out is Trump's last real path to re-election. And, surprisingly, the progressives on my timeline seem prepared to do just that. It is either, "I'm not voting for Biden-Harris or Frump" or another post explaining why it is so important to vote blue even if you don't like Biden or Harris.

The unspoken potential downside of the Harris pick is the obvious: America is both extremely sexist and extremely racist. Harris deals with both.

Using Harris to Attack Biden is going to take some master political crafting on the part of repubs. Harris crafted herself as the solution that Biden wasn't and then Biden literally chose her, filling in those gaps. The more i think about it engaging in Kamala slander on her record, on her past "cop" stances, on race, on gender, etc pretty much lets dems set the rules of engagement or at the very least doesnt give repubs a soapbox to stand on without looking hypocritical or tipping more moderates towards biden.

as far as the VP pick goes though, hopefully Biden's moderate appeal cancels out Harris's "hillary clinton vibes" that the suburban housewives trump alluded in his tweets tend to hate.

all that said, something tells me trumps support from black men will go up with this pick. not enough to make a difference. but up none the less.

Using Harris to Attack Biden is going to take some master political crafting on the part of repubs. Harris crafted herself as the solution that Biden wasn't and then Biden literally chose her, filling in those gaps. The more i think about it engaging in Kamala slander on her record, on her past "cop" stances, on race, on gender, etc pretty much lets dems set the rules of engagement or at the very least doesnt give repubs a soapbox to stand on without looking hypocritical or tipping more moderates towards biden.

as far as the VP pick goes though, hopefully Biden's moderate appeal cancels out Harris's "hillary clinton vibes" that the suburban housewives trump alluded in his tweets tend to hate.

all that said, something tells me trumps support from black men will go up with this pick. not enough to make a difference. but up none the less.

I'm pretty sure it wont be that hard. America still has a very real sexism/racism problem. Dog whistles will be in abundance over the next two months.

Anyone that wants to drive themselves crazy, 538 just released their election forecast...

Biden currently has around the same odds Hillary had on election night. Plus Trump's voter suppression efforts are probably not captured in the model so his chances are even better that this.

So yeah, people gotta keep their eye on the prize. Trump can still win this.

Crazy to read that a Black woman that graduated from one of the top HBCUs in the country and is a member of a prominent Black sorority is not popular with young black people. Maybe I live in a bubble
Those are terrible qualifiers for the black vote.
Need tangibles.

Kamala Harris is a black woman. She identifies as a black woman, the world has treated her as a black woman, white people see her as a black woman.

She is not trying to pretend to be something she is not for political gain.

However "visually black" might be the perfect way to describe Delk :nerd:

You just hand waved her good policies
She's being used as a political prop. I can see that. I know you can too.
This lesser of two evils thing is so unfair to the American ppl.
The illusion of choice.
Kamala will say whatever to who ever just like most politicians.

As I have said in other threads. The Breakfast Club is the worst thing for the democratic party.

From Hillary's hotsauce in her purse, Kamala smoking weed jammin pac and biggie to Biden telling people they are not black if they don't vote for him.

They are BSers man and I don't have to like them as some altruistic affront to get Trump out of office.
Trump has the silent majority honestly.
He is gonna win.
Both parties have the same goal.
The Dems choice in candidates shows me that they don't take winning seriously at all.
Joe Biden is in no way shape or form a strong canditate.
We are supposed to vote for him due to proximitiy to Obama?
We are supposed to voet for him due to proximity to Kamala (Obama2.0) to make black history with yet another colorless black politician?
Dems are trying to reignite the energy Obama had in 08 with a black candidate and I see it as yet more pandering.

Those are terrible qualifiers for the black vote.
Need tangibles.
Considering that Trump has already shown a willingness to use force to quell dissent, considering that he is installing loyalists at every level of government and in every judge seat he can, the greatest unspoken tangible is the preservation of this democracy and the subsequent update of the laws that we all have to live under. The single thing the democracy does for minority groups in a society (and which absent from most other systems, especially authoritarian ones) is give them a voice and the ability to change the rules. Another term of Trump will guarantee way too much power for the likes of Tom Cotton and all the Neo-confederates that have been awoken since Obama became president.

The first step is removing Trump in the most legitimate way possible. The second (which is just as important) is to not repeat 2010 and grow the AOC wing of the Democratic party in Congress.

It's good practice to reflect on the pluses and minuses of Democratic politicians, but let's stop committing the mistake of talking about politics within the Democratic party as if it represented the entirety of the political discussion in the US because the GOP relies on those debates and the disagreements that ensue to amplify voter apathy.

Some feel like their key to success in the world is to ignore their color and culture publicily to fit in and not be seen as an outside radical. It's mental torure.

Im Not Sure What Merit You Have To Suggest Kamala Is Ignoring Her Color?

Or Even What Credentials Label Someone As Ignoring Their Color Or Culture

But I’m Sure It’s Rooted In Some Stereotypes That Have Put Black Folks Against One Another For Years.

Gotta Let That Go Bro.

Considering that Trump has already shown a willingness to use force to quell dissent, considering that he is installing loyalists at every level of government and in every judge seat he can, the greatest unspoken tangible is the preservation of this democracy and the subsequent update of the laws that we all have to live under. The single thing the democracy does for minority groups in a society (and which absent from most other systems, especially authoritarian ones) is give them a voice and the ability to change the rules. Another term of Trump will guarantee way too much power for the likes of Tom Cotton and all the Neo-confederates that have been awoken since Obama became president.

The first step is removing Trump in the most legitimate way possible. The second (which is just as important) is to not repeat 2010 and grow the AOC wing of the Democratic party in Congress.

It's good practice to reflect on the pluses and minuses of Democratic politicians, but let's stop committing the mistake of talking about politics within the Democratic party as if it represented the entirety of the political discussion in the US because the GOP relies on those debates and the disagreements that ensue to amplify voter apathy.

Well said

Im Not Sure What Merit You Have To Suggest Kamala Is Ignoring Her Color?

Or Even What Credentials Label Someone As Ignoring Their Color Or Culture

But I’m Sure It’s Rooted In Some Stereotypes That Have Put Black Folks Against One Another For Years.

Gotta Let That Go Bro.

The very nature of these organizations is to put black folks against each other while doing nothing for them politically. It's the same game decade after decade.

Black folks are the systematically ignored class. Give them a token of progress every now and then. But the black wealth gap is growing exponentially under these symbolic black leaders.

The very nature of these organizations is to put black folks against each other while doing nothing for them politically. It's the same game decade after decade.

Black folks are the systematically ignored class. Give them a token of progress every now and then. But the black wealth gap is growing exponentially under these symbolic black leaders.

So do share your grand plan to fix this problem...

Back
Top Bottom