:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Season Thread [1-1 @Rams 9/22 1:25PST]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
dumbass aldon in the news again.

this time for domestic incident.

Last edited:
yup, i see that. lynch is not really an ideal leo, but he'll do for now.

SLB=Eli

MLB=Bow

WLB=Ray Ray

Last edited:
btw lynch is eating himself off this team 
mean.gif

Last edited:
[h1]NFL Throws: Deshaun Watson Edition[/h1]
Throughout every NFL Draft cycle, the phrase “NFL throws” will be muttered by every analyst from every corner of the country. Each analyst’s description of the phrase will vary, but generally, it is a way to pinpoint a type of throw that a given prospects makes and declare that said prospect could make that same throw in the NFL. Clemson’s Deshaun Watson makes an array of passes now that he will be able to make in the pros.

Quick Out

Quick outs are far more difficult to throw than they look. Considering they are short five-or-six yard routes, it’s easy to assume that because the throw isn’t far down the field, that it isn’t a difficult throw. The reality is quite the contrary. The angle from the quarterback’s throwing position to where the ball needs to be is so tight that it leaves little room for error for the quarterback. It is a throw that requires great arm strength and exact ball placement, or else the defense might be running it back the other way.

Watson2.gif

This doesn’t look like the type of special throw that garners the “NFL throw” title, but we often forget that not every throw in the NFL is a stunning act of brilliance. Sometimes a quarterback simply needs to find the open receiver and stick the ball in his chest.

On this throw, Watson catches the ball out of the shotgun from the left hash. Watson immediately turns to his right and nails wide receiver Ray-Ray McCloud right in his mitts. With the hash marks being wider in college than in the pros, this is an even farther quick out than Watson will have to make in the NFL. If Watson can stick a quick out with this level of accuracy while throwing from a wider angle than he’ll have to in the league, then he will certainly be able to hit this throw from NFL hash marks.

This throw is automatic for Watson, yet few NFL quarterbacks throw it consistently well. Cam Newton and Tom Brady come to mind as the best quick out passers in the league. Newton works quick out so well due to his rare arm talent and decisiveness, while Brady makes it work because of impeccable timing and repeated accuracy. Watson’s quick out ability is a blend of those two styles and, in due time, Watson should find himself among the best in the league at hitting this throw.

Being able to throw quick out at the level Watson does can work wonders for an offense. More often than not, offenses will turn to quick slants, drag routes, and short routes by the tight end to pick up small chunks of yardage because those throws are easier angles for the quarterback to throw. A quarterback who can throw quick outs well, however, forces the defense to account for another possible route that could hurt them, thereby making all of the possible routes theoretically easier on the quarterback because the cornerbacks have a higher likelihood of questioning the route.

Intermediate Comeback

Depending on where the sticks are, this could be a twelve-to-sixteen yard route. The goal for the wide receiver is to work the vertical stem of the route a few yards beyond the sticks, then turn to the sideline and diagonally work toward the boundary. By design, this route gives the cornerback the inside track on the ball, making this a dangerous throw for quarterbacks. A quarterback better be damn sure he is going to make the throw if he dares attempt it.

[
Watson3.gif

First and foremost, keep in mind that this throw is on fourth-and-fourteen. This throw is do or die.

Much like the quick out, an intermediate comeback is unforgiving. If Watson leaves this passes a little bit inside or doesn’t get enough juice on the ball, this could easily end in a drive-killing incompletion or interception.

Cornerbacks prey on this route to make big plays. Cornerbacks like Marcus Peters of the Chiefs will make quarterbacks pay for not perfectly throwing this route. Unfortunately for Peters and his peers, Watson so often drills this throw and makes it easy on his wide receiver to haul it in. Watson works these outside routes at an exceptional level. Not only is that a true barometer of arm strength, but it adds an extra lethal element to his offense that most offenses do not have the luxury of.

Middle of the Field Throws (and understanding how to keep receivers protected)

Watson is smart and savvy. Watson reads the field proficiently, both pre-snap and post-snap, and understands leverage depending on the defense’s alignments. Granted, most NFL level quarterbacks can read the field fairly well, otherwise they would not be where they are. Watson separates himself from the general quarterback population with his ability to pinpoint passes to protect his players.

Watson5.gif

A quarterback’s job is to make catches easy for wide receivers. Despite this wide receiver appearing to make an extra effort to grab this touchdown pass, this was an excellent job by Watson to place the ball where only his guy can get it.

If Watson were to leave this pass in his wide receiver’s chest, the safety would have had a clear shot at the wide receiver and a chance to disrupt the catch point. Rather than forcing the receiver to make a tight catch, Watson leaves the ball lower and asks his receiver to go down and get it. Of course, that is not ideal for the wide receiver, but given where the safety was, that was the best way to complete the pass. With the pass being so low and away, the safety had no chance at this ball. Only the wide receiver had a shot at this catch and he finished the play for Watson.

Watson8.gif

Throws over the middle of the field can be death sentences for wide receivers. 99 times out of 100, this wide receiver gets his head taken off by the safety poaching over the middle of the field. Watson wasn’t going to let that happen, though.

Instead of leading the wide receiver over the middle of the field, like any quarterback would normally be taught to do, Watson forces the wide receiver to slow down and make a catch behind his body. The wide receiver has to adjust to the ball by turning his body and getting low. Watson’s forced adjustment acts as a shield for the catch point because now the wide receiver’s back is turned to the safety and the wide receiver is falling to the ground, making it tougher to disrupt the catch. Again, this looks like a brutal adjustment to a poor throw, but this is the only way to complete a tough throw and Watston understood that.

Few quarterback prospects, especially at Watson’s age (turned 21 years old in September), are able to process this play and execute this difficult of a throw. NFL windows are often this tight and quarterbacks have to be able to fit in throws like the two above. Deshaun Watson can make all the throws necessary to make it in the NFL.

Last edited:
Being cognizant of protecting his wide receivers is an important attribute that cannot be stressed enough. We all witnessed the countless times Kaepernick hung his WR out to dry by staring him down and proceeding to make ill-advised throws that resulted in someone getting blown up. He single-handedly put multiple dudes on the IR over the years.

Last edited:
Jed aint playing. He finally conceded that you must pay for the best the assistant coaches, too. 

6. I think I wouldn’t be concerned about the mass exodus of Atlanta coaches, except for two: Kyle Shanahan and Bobby Turner. Shanahan made Matt Ryan better. He made the offense better because it was so diverse and so unpredictable. Turner’s the unsung loss. He’s the veteran running backs coach who, back in Denver, made a slew of low-drafted backs (Terrell Davis most notably) play great, and he was vital in the development of Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman in Atlanta. But I applaud the Falcons. They could have played hardball and kept Turner. But Turner wanted to go with Shanahan—Turner obviously was close with Mike Shanahan—and he becomes a very influential senior adviser (he is 67) to Kyle Shanahan.

7. I think it doesn’t hurt that the 49ers have rewarded Turner by making him one of the highest-paid (if not the highest-paid) running backs coaches in the NFL, with a salary of at least $625,000.
OG Bobby Turner

Last edited:
Give me McCaffrey if available in the second!

We have a ton of needs, but I agree. The usage of multiple backs in Kyle's scheme is amazing. Los isn't shifty, so the flare routes aren't ideal for him. Christian is a great open field runner/receiver.

what if a tight end like david njoku slips? or the board is full of really good WRs at that pick like juju, john ross, chad hansen, etc.

do you guys pass on all those receiving threats for mccaffrey?

personally, i wouldn't touch a running back until day 3, maybe the earliest is round 3. i see mccaffrey playing a very similar role to james white and deon lewis in the NFL--two guys the patriots found on day 3. i think elijah mcguire can fill that role, and he should be there in the 5th or 6th round.

btw i'd love to have him, so i wouldn't be bummed at all if we took him. 
tongue.gif

Last edited:
So with the transition this means no more brandon williams or melvin ingram

yeah, i would tend to agree.
i changed my mind. i went back and watched ingram play. i think we should still pick him up. the backside pass rusher in this type of defense(the leo/elephant) is pretty similar to a 3-4 OLB. 

williams, too. we'll take him, too, thanks baltimore.

Last edited:
what if a tight end like david njoku slips? or the board is full of really good WRs at that pick like juju, john ross, chad hansen, etc.

do you guys pass on all those receiving threats for mccaffrey?

personally, i wouldn't touch a running back until day 3, maybe the earliest is round 3. i see mccaffrey playing a very similar role to james white and deon lewis in the NFL--two guys the patriots found on day 3. i think elijah mcguire can fill that role, and he should be there in the 5th or 6th round.

btw i'd love to have him, so i wouldn't be bummed at all if we took him. :tongue:

not a huge fan of John Ross. he really struggles getting off the jam, and his press releases are pretty weak, along with his in game strength. but..that speed is something else. i'd take Christian over Juju in the 2nd. have a felling he's gonna be a huge problem in the right system. james connor is a man amongst boys. he's on my radar too.

but the back i'm most excited about, is joe mixon. question is, does the FO/Kyle feel like taking a chance?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom