OFFICIAL SEATTLE SONICS THREAD

this just in: GP to make appearance @ 6/16 rally!
pimp.gif

"SEATTLE, WA - Future NBA Hall of Famer and Seattle SuperSonics legend Gary Payton will join grassroots nonprofit group Save Our Sonics at a June 16 rallyto keep his 13-year NBA team in its 41-year home of Seattle. Payton will speak to the crowd gathered on the lawn outside Seattle's U.S. District Courthouse(700 Stewart St.) as the City of Seattle fights to keep its oldest professional sports franchise.

Also known as "The Glove" for his tenacious defense as the Sonics starting point guard from 1990-2003, Payton is the team's all-time leader inpoints (18,207), assists (7,384), steals (2,107) and field goals (7,292). Former Sonics players Xavier "X-Man" McDaniel and Zaid Abdul Aziz, formerlyDon Smith, will also attend the rally.
"Gary Payton is one of my childhood heroes and a symbol of this franchise's history," Save Our Sonics co-founder Brian Robinson said Sunday."His toughness and determination represent everything I love about the NBA. Players like Gary, X-Man, Nate McMillan and so many others inspire us tocontinue fighting this important battle. Someday, people will look back and ask themselves, Where was I when the Sonics' fate was decided? I want to beable to tell my children I was there fighting alongside The Glove."

On June 16, Judge Marsha Pechman will hear opening arguments in the first of two major court cases to decide whether current Sonics owner Clay Bennett will beallowed to abandon Seattle and move the team to his hometown of Oklahoma City. Members of Save Our Sonics will be at the courthouse all day Monday andavailable to the media throughout the trial."

^^spread the word if possible~ the more, the merrier.. i'll be there rocking my "SCREW CLAY" shirt for sure
pimp.gif

i really wanna go to this. gonna have to get off work early so we'll see what my boss says

ha, out of everybody here that watches sports only 3 like basketball. majority are seahawks fans with other football teams mixed in. the other 2 that watchbasketball, laker fans.

and then there was more info:

"Save Our Sonics is gearing up for the big rally on Monday, June 16 with Gary Payton and Xavier McDaniel - but we still need your help!

If you can assist with any of the following tasks, please respond via e-mail to Griff ([email protected]) or Jeremy([email protected]:smile:

Sign making:
At 2:00pm on Saturday on the UW campus (in Benson on the southwest part of campus), SOS is going to have a sign making gathering,we will be there making as many signs as we can until 7:00pm. Feel free to show up any time. Parking is free after 2:00pm on campus that weekend.

Crowd Leaders:
On Monday, June 16 we need 15-25 people to show up by 3:00pm so that we can have better control of the crowd. You will help usget cheers going, set up the courthouse courtyard, and control the crowd by having the appearance of authority (orange vests).

Mariners Game Advertising:
We need to pass out flyers at the M's games on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, before and/or after the game. Alsowe need to post flyers all over the area, on poles, at the Pyramid Ale House, Sluggers, etc., so people walking to the game can't help but notice.

Downtown advertising:
We need to hit up all the local businesses that people who work downtown go to (mostly the busy lunch spots) and get themto put up flyers in their shops. If they already have a flyer up, put up another one. We want the area between hwy 99 and I-5, North of Seneca and South ofDenny to be covered with flyers. This needs to be done ASAP!

Keeping the crowd entertained:
If you know street entertainers that want to take advantage of the crowd, tell them to show up and set up shop.We are especially looking for people that play instruments, like the tuba guy that's at always at the Sonics games or the guys that play buckets for drumsor even just normal people with drums. Make sure that they are willing play their music with the chants and to quiet down when GP and X are speaking. Therewill be no amplified sound allowed outside the court house, so they will all have to be acoustic.

If you can help, please reply to [email protected] or [email protected] ASAP!

Thanks for your support Sonics fans! See you at the rally on Monday at 4:30! (Courthouse is located at 700 Stewart Street in downtown Seattle)

Thank you so much for your support!

Brian and Steve
Save Our Sonics
"

Zaid Abdul-Aziz & Jamal Crawford attending as well!
pimp.gif

"Dear Sonics fans and SOS supporters:

We are approaching our best opportunity to make a difference in the battle to keep our Seattle SuperSonics. Let's get ready to show Clay Bennett, DavidStern, the media and the viewing public that we won't be robbed of our team! The courthouse rally is this Monday, June 16 at 4:30 p.m.

Be ready to hear Gary Payton and Xavier McDaniel speak at 4:30 p.m on the courthouse lawn! Former Sonic Zaid Abdul-Aziz and Seattle's own Jamal Crawford(of Franklin High) are also confirmed to attend. Tell your friends and bring as many people as you can!

We need a small group of volunteers to show up early (around 3:00 p.m.) to help coordinate setup and crowd activities. Bring your homemade signs and hand drumsto the rally as we chant "Save Our Sonics!" throughout the afternoon. Please remember to be respectful -- avoid any disruptions that could beinterpreted as overly negative in the eyes of the judge and the general public.

If you arrive early enough to get into the courtroom's limited seating, be ready for a quiet and formal trial. Please refrain from making outbursts orverbally harassing Bennett's team, as any such gestures will only play into his argument that Seattle is a "hostile environment" to own afranchise. We want to show that Seattle is an outstanding NBA city with years of support for the Sonics.

Post-Party at FX McRory's!

After the rally, Sports Radio 950 KJR's Groz and Gas will be broadcasting live from FX McRory's as part of a Jack Daniel's Dugout Series. Come downto FX McRory's (419 Occidental Ave S) after the rally or before the Mariners game -- they'll be serving 95 cent Jack Daniels in celebration of theSonics' 1979 championship!

Thanks again for your support. Together we can Save Our Sonics -- See you Monday at 4:30!
"

so i hear there was a possible trade that looked something like...

MIAMI gets: Wilcox & the #4

SEATTLE gets: Mark Blount's contract (2yrs. 20 mil.. smh) & the #2

thoughts? personally, i'd like it if CHI picks Beasley, tho it's not looking very likely.. i know the loss of Wilcox would weaken our inside presence,but a 1/2/3 of Rose/KD/Green would be INCREDIBLE.

p.s. - fk Clay Bennett

Originally Posted by FRANChISe206

so i hear there was a possible trade that looked something like...

MIAMI gets: Wilcox & the #4

SEATTLE gets: Mark Blount's contract (2yrs. 20 mil.. smh) & the #2

thoughts? personally, i'd like it if CHI picks Beasley, tho it's not looking very likely.. i know the loss of Wilcox would weaken our inside presence, but a 1/2/3 of Rose/KD/Green would be INCREDIBLE.

p.s. - fk Clay Bennett

i wouldn't mind the trade. i wouldn't mind having mayo either though. if the bulls do pick beasley though the trade won't happen from what iunderstand. i think miami's only doing it because they want derrick rose. and with him gone they probably go for another guard. espn's saying theyreally like mayo and bayless.

Sorry guys but the Blazers just picked up your original predicted draft pick. Roy and the Boys sent Rush and Jack to Indiana for Bayless and Ike Diogu.

just in case you forgot that we are the sonics we spent a pick on a foreign center who won't play in the pros for at least 2 years.. Second player everfrom the Congo.

Originally Posted by FRANChISe206

^^and just when i thought Presti would bring competence to the front office... wow.

I'm so close to calling him Clay's puppet after the Ibaka pick (since there was so much quality left and we pick a project meant to pay off in a fewyears/OKC) but we'll see how everything pans w/ trades & such. I am so envious of Kevin Pritchard's GM skills.
ohwell.gif

I never seen Westbrook or Bayless play, all the mock drafts had us picking bayless though. Westbrook that bad? LOL at least we didn't pick any bigs in thelotery(Brook), we got bad luck with those.

i feel like i should be dissapointed in the draft. i mean, i don't like the ibaka pick. i've never seen westbrook play though but all i keep hearing iswe reached for him. damn mchale for taking oj

did Westbrook even start for UCLA? I heard his stock rose tremdously pre-draft, but to #4? I dont see it. Funny thing is, theres really nobody in the draft Iliked. I woudlnt have been mad if the Sonics had got Mayo or Love, but other than that, I feel like the draft class was really weak. I dont see ANY of thisyears picks makin a huge impact on their respective teams.
the other guys we picked are a joke. I kept hearing all week about how Presti would work some draft day magic and do something with all the pics we had, but Ifeel like he blew it. He got the guy from Indiana. why? we had him in Reggie Evans and got rid of him, so why draft his carbon copy? The dude from the Congothat wont even leave Europe to come here....what a waste. Thats what I get though. Everytime I think I wanna start caring about the Sonics, they pull some BSto make me care even less. Although, I too am glad they didnt get one of the Lopez Bros.
I keep hearin people say we shoulda got Bayless...I wasnt impressed by dude at all in college. maybe Nate can mold him into a solid player, but another yearwith Lute coaching him might have served him better. I think that guy from Kansas that went to the Blazers will be a nice steal for PO though.

as much as i don't want to cheer for Portland if/when the Supes leave....... damn. they're making it hard not to!
laugh.gif

personally, i wanted Bayless with the #4 (and it kinda adds to my previous statement about POR), but i'm hoping Westbrook pans out and proves himselfworthy of such a high pick. he displayed a great deal of hustle and defense for UCLA when called upon, but as for being our "PG of the future", idon't see him as the playmaking type.. time will tell, i guess.

man, i really wanted bayless. for those who don't know about him, check out his highlight vid on nbadraft.net. i think the sonics are really trying toconvince themselves that westbrook will be their PG of the future.

man, i really wanted bayless. for those who don't know about him, check out his highlight vid on nbadraft.net. i think the sonics are really trying toconvince themselves that westbrook will be their PG of the future.

verdict is in today at 5pm.. preliminary indications suggest they're moving before next season.....

smh..

:/

I thought it was at 4pm...thats what KJR has been sayin all day

and I dont know about the Baron Davis/Westbrook comparison. BD was a STAR at UCLA (I still remember when he embarassed the eff outta Todd Macullough and theHuskies on what seemed like 3 consecutive plays) I've seen a number of UCLA games over the past 2 years, and I dont even remember dude.

Back
Top Bottom