Official SELECTION SUNDAY THREAD - 6PM EST CBS

who do yall think is gonna be the team that gets the infamous shaft? every yr there's that one team that gets shafted and it causes an outcry. last yr itwas cuse, who is gonna be this years edition?

i think/hope it's kentucky. the early season struggles cannot be overlooked. losing to gardener webb and san diego on your home floor and losing to houstonare inexcusable and hurt their resume big time. sure they beat vandy and tenn, but they lost the rematches, and lost by 40!!! to vandy proving their win was a fluke. then they lose to georgia in the first round of the sec tourney. o ya, and they arewithout their best player.

i dunno, i think they are set up for the shaft.
laugh.gif

who do yall think is gonna be the team that gets the infamous shaft? every yr there's that one team that gets shafted and it causes an outcry. last yr it was cuse, who is gonna be this years edition?
Arizona ST or Illinois State...just a feeling...the committee can go one way or another. But for some reason I see one of theses teams with the
indifferent.gif
faces on CBS tomorrow.

I'd love to see the uproar from the UK fan base for being left out tho
laugh.gif

1 seeds should be a lock....

North Carolina
UCLA
Memphis
and the winner of the Big 12 Title

go Cal state fullerton
glasses.gif

any idea who the potential match up would be?

i'm gunnin' for some kinda huge upset...hopefully they represent the big west decently lol.

as much as i want to see harden and arizona st. in the tourney, they played mediocre towards the end so they really do not deserve a bid
ohwell.gif

damn CSU fullerton won? i wanted irvine in so the UC system could get some rep
pimp.gif

but i'll root for fullerton as well...

Originally Posted by srvballer

North Carolina
UCLA
Memphis

If Texas wins, yes. If Kansas wins, I think Tennessee keeps it...

That's my thinking too...
Thinking about it, UNC really might have a cake walk to San Antonio
ohwell.gif
...if Wisconsin gets that last #2 seed.

edit

Actually going by the S Curve, UNC, Gtown and Wisconsin should be the top 3 seeds in the East...with the 2 and 3 seeds up for grabs.

Please god, let that happen. Please.

yeah acid, i was rootin for the anteaters as well, but lets face it...if there was one team that could pull off the upset in the tourney, it would be CSUF lol.

when you have UCI pulling off "upsets" against UCSB and Pacifc....there's something wrong there lol

Can't believe my Gauchos(UCSB) blew their best chance in years to make the tournament. Congrats to Alex Harris on a great career. Most likely UNC will notonly have the number 1 overall seed but knowing the committee UNC will have the easiest path to San Antonio.

If they win tomorrow they get the #1 seed in the East.

And yes, that route to San Antonio is theirs to lose, they won't have to leave the state.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by srvballer

North Carolina
UCLA
Memphis

No way. KU is ranked 5th in the nation with only 3 losses. I guarantee you they get the #1 seed if they win.

Bracket Math
by: Joe Lunardi
posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 | Print Entry

[Editor's note: Updated at 9 p.m. ET on Saturday.]

NO. 1 SEEDS (in order)

• EAST North Carolina
• SOUTH Memphis
• WEST UCLA
• MIDWEST Kansas
Notable: Three additional teams -- Texas, Tennessee and Georgetown (in that order) -- remain in contention for No. 1 seeds.

AUTOMATIC QUALIFIERS (17):

• American (Patriot League)
• Austin Peay (Ohio Valley)
• Belmont (Atlantic Sun)
• Butler (Horizon League)
• Cornell (Ivy League)
• Davidson (Southern Conference)
• Drake (Missouri Valley)
• George Mason (CAA)
• Mount St. Mary's (Northeast)
• Oral Roberts (Summit League)
• Portland State (Big Sky)
• San Diego (West Coast)
• Siena (MAAC)
• Temple (Atlantic 10)
• UMBC (America East)
• Western Kentucky (Sun Belt)
• Winthrop (Big South)

"LOCKS" (37 teams)

• Big East (7): Louisville, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Connecticut, Marquette, West Virginia, Pittsburgh
• Big 12 (6): Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Baylor, Texas A&M
• ACC (4): North Carolina, Duke, Clemson, Miami
• Big Ten (4): Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State
• Pac-10 (4): UCLA, Stanford, Washington State, Southern California
• SEC (5): Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Arkansas
• Atlantic 10 (2): Xavier, Saint Joseph's
• West Coast (2): Gonzaga, Saint Mary's
• MAC (1): Kent State
• Mountain West (2): BYU, UNLV
• Conference USA (1): Memphis

Additional automatic qualifiers: 5 conferences
TOTAL SPOTS CLAIMED: 59

"BUBBLE" (12 teams for 6 spots)

• IN (6, in S-Curve order): South Alabama, Oregon, Arizona, Saint Joseph's, Illinois State, Ohio State
BOLD = Last Four In

• OUT (6, in S-Curve order): Virginia Tech, Massachusetts, Villanova, Arizona State, VCU, New Mexico
BOLD = Last Four Out

NIT (automatic bids if needed)

• Alabama State (SWAC)
• Robert Morris (Northeast Conference)
• Stephen F. Austin (Southland)
• UC Santa Barbara (Big West)
• UNC Asheville (Big South)
• Utah State (WAC)
• South Alabama (Sun Belt)
• VCU (Colonial)
• Morgan State (MEAC)

No way. KU is ranked 5th in the nation with only 3 losses. I guarantee you they get the #1 seed if they win.
You should look at their RPI, SOS And best wins instead of that AP ranking.

Tennessee on paper is more impressive, even if Kansas might have a better team

Craftsy,

Would you think that Wisky and G'Town are almost a lock to be 2 and 3 in the same region (as long as they win tomorrow)??

If Wisky wins tomorrow wouldn't they be considered a strong candidate to be number 2 in the midwest?

I don't see them passing Kansas/Texas, Tennessee, Duke...

Even if they win, no given the pass G'Town, for the lowest 2 seed.

Beacuse UNC would be the #1 overall...they'd get put in the East along with them. #1 seed gets the worst #2...worst #2 gets the best #3 seed...hence...mythought of UNC, Wisky and G'Town in the East.

Kansas or Texas will probably get the #2 in the midwest.

• IN (6, in S-Curve order): South Alabama, Oregon, Arizona, Saint Joseph's, Illinois State, Ohio State
BOLD = Last Four In

• OUT (6, in S-Curve order): Virginia Tech, Massachusetts, Villanova, Arizona State, VCU, New Mexico
BOLD = Last Four Out
Basically - just rank these 12 teams in order.. top 6 get in (remove team 6 if either illini or georgia wins tomorrow, remove team 5 also if bothwin).

For me personally, as of right now -i rank them this way:

Arizona
St. Joe's
South Alabama
VCU
New Mexico
(i'd actually put Stephen F Austin here, if i thought the committee would pay them serious consideratoin - i consider them more worthy than all the teamsleft to come on this list)
Illinois State
Virginia Tech
Umass
Villanova
Arizona State
Oregon
Ohio State

I am pretty good with my top 4 - it's a little murky after that, but the bottom is pretty set too...

The more I look at this - the more i become convinced that many of these locks Lunardi has listed, even though he does use "locks", are hardly locksat all.. i don't consider kentucky, kansas state, and baylor all completely safe yet... nor do i consider SFA, Ole Miss, Syracuse, and Charlotte completelyout either.. there's some others i'm forgetting because i'm tired right now, but i tend to think there's a lot more movement still yet possiblethan he does.. but for MY sake, i'm going to assume he's pretty much on track here and go with my list.

I based my rankings mostly off of total W/L vs the top 100 teams, and road/neutral record.. two things i consider to be most important, along with the RPI.

Back
Top Bottom