Official Supreme Thread F/W Season Done. Happy New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
79186A32-7D5B-4F89-ADB4-3AEA0EA0C01E.gif

Last edited:
what would make u ponder that?
i'm not a hindu but its def an image (of a goddess?) from hinduism being sold by a company that will profit from it.
since i'm not a hindu and not really knowledgeable about that religion like that I just wanted to know what they would think about it?

curious...is the item considered offensive?
I personally find it kind of weird honestly and still go back and forth whether I'd feel comfortable rocking it.
Like I know for sure if I brought it around the house the elders would be like what're you doing wearing our gods on you like a fashion piece? So in those regards I'm hesitant on it and do find it offensive, since it's using our Gods as just a design. Especially because the Hindu gods have frequently been used as a trend in fashion culture, where people don't really know what they/things stands for.

That being said I do recognize that some people are educated and are simply fascinated by the culture/appreciate it and want to rock it for that reason, which I can understand. Like for example, I copped the Hanu Hoodie from years ago because I love Hanuman (one of our gods), and I always have growing up. But it felt a bit weird and def caught some weird glances in the family. However, this item definitely takes it to the next level in comparison to the Hanu Hoodie -- and I'm kinda iffy on having so many of the gods just plastered on the fleece.

I know that didn't really answer the question, I think it's because I'm still determining internally how I feel about it. But when I first saw the item, I was taken a back by it and found it to be a bit offensive, still kinda do. As I'm typing this out, I'm leaning more towards having a negative feeling about it but idk, maybe I'm looking too deep into all this?

^^^
(this is a light example but) when I used to wear my Damien hirst tee a lot I forgot what was on the back after awhile/didn't care and wore it any and everywhere. one day I was meeting up with a friend and this lady (who is homeless) yelled from like across the street at me. I didn't realize what she was talking about at first then I remembered what I had on.

stuff that's just clothing to us may not be to someone else and while I wouldn't necessarily choose what I wear based on somebody else's thoughts/feelings I still want to be respectful of certain things as it relates to someone's culture or religion.

its just my personal choice tho that's all.

yo real talk now that I think about it, that lady was not only homeless but extremely religious and prayed rain, sleet hail or whatever.
at the time I def had a idgaf I rock what I want type of attitude but as I get older I look at life a lil differently.
she lives in a tent downtown and I saw her a lot while bombing...and after work every day.
i'd be out near her tent to get to my car or to go do something along the train line and go home to central air and heat and a bed and all that.
and I had life's a ***** then you die on the back of my shirt.

if I were her i'd probably feel a certain way too if I saw it.

off topic but a random thought.
yo now I feel kinda bad.

^^^
(this is a light example but) when I used to wear my Damien hirst tee a lot I forgot what was on the back after awhile/didn't care and wore it any and everywhere. one day I was meeting up with a friend and this lady yelled from like across the street at me. I didn't realize what she was talking about at first then I remembered what I had on.

stuff that's just clothing to us may not be to someone else and while I wouldn't necessarily choose what I wear based on somebody else's thoughts/feelings I still want to be respectful of certain things as it relates to someone's culture or religion.

its just my personal choice tho that's all.
Right, like when I copped the Hanu Hoodie, I was just in High School and not really thinking about things straight. Like when I saw the Hoodie, I was obsessed with Hanuman growing up as he was strong and powerful so I decided to cop. It was a grail for me, still is and want it in my size.

But now that I'm older and really understand what the deal is here, it's just using the cool images of the Gods I pray to for profit which is eh (but so is so much in American consumerism so where do we draw the line). And this extends beyond this item specifically. I've seen people use Ganesh for so many random things and it does irk me, because it doesn't even have anything to do with faith. I can see why people in my community would look at me with a bit of confusion, but as someone is who Hindu, I feel somewhat more comfortable about it because I have a my own relationship and connection to my faith.

But by this logic Supreme has also done Jesus/other Christian based products so I can see why someone would make the argument that it's a bit offensive there too. Like me personally, I'm not sure if I would rock any of those pieces nor do I think I ever have. But this question has certainly forced me to think on a deeper level and sparked a new level of thinking, and I'm glad you guys brought it up. It would be nice if those rocking the piece at least had some idea of the faith and what the Gods stand for.

But at the end of the day this is Supreme, and I don't expect that.

To the point of offending others.....F**K em. If people let themselves be offended by things that shouldn't then that's where their heads at. Nothing besides blatant obvious things should get anyone upset. Religious things can be looked at the same way but doesn't mean your being disrespectful and they shouldn't automatically look at it in that way but cant choose how others react...

To the point of offending others.....F**K em. If people let themselves be offended by things that shouldn't then that's where their heads at. Nothing besides blatant obvious things should get anyone upset. Religious things can be looked at the same way but doesn't mean your being disrespectful and they shouldn't automatically look at it in that way but cant choose how others react...
I can see this too, which is why I go back and forth on the matter tbh.
It's all perspective, don't think anyone is right or wrong.

If you are one with your religion and you respect the sanctity of it, then your decision should be quite easy.

Go ahead and wear the Virgin Mary, Jesus, Allah, whoever the heck you like, but don’t get it twisted when someone else is wearing your particular god and be offended by it.

I’m not a religious person. I was raised catholic but do not practice. There’s a lot of wrong with the Catholic Church so I chose to distance myself, instead I have a relationship with the higher being, whoever that may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom