Official Tax Season Thread? vol Splash Out m8

I should be getting back about a stack. Close on my first home in mid March so itll be going to furniture/paint/appliance or whatever lol

I filed about a week and a half ago and actually received my federal back today. Quick this year imo. Used H&R Block for the first time this year and it was straight. Federal and State done for free so can't complain. Will be using it for new tires, savings, and a little splurging on my daughter and me.

Last edited:
giphy.gif
ScaredKlutzyAmericanbittern-size_restricted.gif

Mood should be getting minds back tomorrow

About to do mine through H&R block.
Last year I only got back $273. Probably going to be around the same area.

Dang H&R block fees are crazy. Would have paid around $90 in fees. Switched over to FreeTaxUSA and managed to keep most of my money since the fee was around $20. They also had a nice 10% discount code.
Getting around $260

Man turbo tax makes no sense how fed and state is free but if I gotta use deluxe I pay for 40 for it and then have to pay for state wtf?

This will be my last year using TurboTax. They def changed for the worse. Used to be seamless filing but encountered way too many issues this year trying to file w/ them

Any tax pros in here?
If I'm paying my little bro's cellphone bill, can I claim that on my taxes without claiming him as a dependent?
Reason why I'm asking is this is the only thing I'm not sure how to handle. Other than this, all I got is my w-2 which should be simple to do on my own.... I think.

Any tax pros in here?
If I'm paying my little bro's cellphone bill, can I claim that on my taxes without claiming him as a dependent?
Reason why I'm asking is this is the only thing I'm not sure how to handle. Other than this, all I got is my w-2 which should be simple to do on my own.... I think.
Unless you itemize, and it's used for business expenses only, a cell phone bill has never and may never be tax deductible.

Some TurboTax hints
I think a lot of places only have the ez forms that are free. Even if you have gambling winnings, it requires the higher level of turbotax. Sam's club has the premire version for $50 after a $20 instant rebate. It gives you the ability to file up to 5-6 federal filings and includes one free state. Since it's a disc, you can apparently install it mutilple times over. It must be 5 filings per computer.

Beyond that, you can import your old tax info (name, capital carry over losses or gains, and it even compares last year's numbers with this year's numbers. Sometimes your prior return can become taxable. So it's cool that TT remembers what you got the year prior.

When it's said and done, for $50, you can do your whole families taxes. It can seem daunting. But these h&r block people are making bank off of you.

And it's not just your W-2 that can be imported via photo, you can enter your control # and if your employer is a part of their system, the entire w2 is filled out for you. This also applies to stocks and trades. If where you do trades is partnered with them, they can import everything with an account # and control #.

Beyond that , turbo tax won't tell you this but look at your states tax websites. Usually filing on there is free. You will need your adjusted income and other figures, which TT gives you when you file your federal.

So file federal first, print out the PDF form for reference on your state tax website. And it all could be done in 1 hours tops. A lot of times, your paying someone to barely input your name and address when all they are doing is entering control #s

Last edited:
After all the money that gets taken out of my checks each month I still owe CA state tax. I can't wait to leave California.:angry:

just filed both fed and state.

should see around 1k back. all going into savings

Not even getting more than a weekly check before taxes. Not in a rush to do them.

Used freetaxusa for the first time didnt get back as much as I used to. Dont think it was because of the software since I didnt pay as much for school but I'm tight :lol:

W2 was available Tuesday. Filed yesterday with freetaxusa and both fed and state got accepted within an hour or so

I'm married, we bought a house this year, we have one child, we spent a lot on medical etc. we usually use H & R block, can I input all of these variables into turbob tax?

Back
Top Bottom