Official Warriors Season Thread

Look who's talking now since being signed the remainder of the season. Haha.

[h2]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/warriors/detail?blogid=39&entry_id=23790[/h2]
[h2]How much can C.J. Watson get for jersey No. 4?[/h2]
From Janny Hu.

Who says C.J. Watson doesn't have veteran saavy? Now that he's offically signed for the rest of the season, what happens if/when Chris Webber finally comes on board and wants to have old no. 4 jersey?

"If he wants it back," Watson said this afternoon, "I'm talking all wagers."

smh.gif
roll.gif
@ him having songs with ray-j

Chris Webber a Warrior Again

Written by Bryan May, Sports Anchor

Written by C. Johnson, Internet News Producer

041143347_webber-185.jpg

Former Sacramento King Chris Webber is headed for a mid-season signing with the Golden State Warriors, sources confirmed to News10.

Sources report the 34-year-old former Sacramento King, Warrior, Bullet-Wizard, 76er and Piston is near a deal with Golden State's offer of a pro-rated share of the league's $1.2 million veteran minimum.

Sources tell News10 an official announcement is expected Tuesday.

Webber won Rookie of the Year honors in 1994 in playing for the Warriors. However a contentious relationship with then (and present) coach Don Nelson had the 6-foot, 10-inch; 245-pound power forward requesting and getting a trade to Washington.

Last week Webber nixed a deal with the Los Angeles Lakers. In an interview with News10's Bryan May two weeks ago, Webber said he would be playing for a team in the next few weeks.

Webber was named an NBA All-Star five times and won league rebounding honors with an average 13 boards per game in the 1998-99 season.

Yo vietsta, nah I don't need a ride, I think I'm going to head back to SF after my midterm on Friday morning, and I'll probably BART to the game orsomething. Thanks though.

I guess CWebb is going to be a Warrior now. I wasn't for it, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I wish him the best of luck.

it should be an interesting press conference tomorrow. its a "done deal" according to cwebb.

its just like i was in 6th grade again....hopefully this time webber redeems himself.

edit:
can anybody help me find a pic of cwebb dunking over barkley? it was SLAMs slam-of-da-month a long time ago..
laugh.gif

^
Nice pics only if he and nelson got along back then.
Tim Bug, Mullin, Spreewell, Billy C-Webb, Owens, and Keith "Mr" Jennings!

Until February 2005, Iguodala wore jersey number 4, but allowed then newly-acquired 76ers member Chris Webber to wear it instead, as Webber traditionally had worn that number throughout his college career and most of his professional career. Iguodala subsequently switched to wearing number 9. Webber reportedly bought Iguodala a Rolex watch for allowing him to wear the number 4.

I guess Friday's game will be even more crazy. J-Rich's homecoming, and Webber's debut at home. It'll be a good one. Glad I got tickets forthat game.

Hopefully I can catch tomorrow's game, but I have so much hw. Let's hope Al keeps up the streak of shutting Yao down. Let's go Warriors!

yea i wanna catch tomorrow's game too but i have a midterm on wednesday lol. i'd assume you guys are in midterm weeks now as well? especially the ucdavis heads.

midterm schmidterm. you set study hours around warriors games. at least that's what i do. had 2 today, but still watched the knicks game last night. willc-webb be playing tomrorow?

Webber's return to Warriors imminent

By Geoff Lepper
STAFF WRITER

Article Launched: 01/29/2008 03:04:08 AM PST

OAKLAND -- After nearly a 14-year hiatus, Chris Webber will once again be a Warrior.
A team source said Monday that Webber was slated to sign a one-year contract either late Monday or today. Another source confirmed the team put in for waivers on injured guard Troy Hudson, clearing the way for Webber, a five-time All-Star, to join the club.

Webber originally arrived in Oakland via a draft-day trade with the Orlando Magic, which picked him No. 1 overall in 1993. He left the following year after a falling out with coach Don Nelson.

An official announcement is not expected until today, but ESPN reported on its Web site that Webber had signed and had confirmed the deal via e-mail.

Webber is not expected to join his teammates until they return Thursday from a two-game road trip to Houston and New Orleans, meaning he could debut Friday against the Charlotte Bobcats and former longtime Warriors guard Jason Richardson.

Webber's deal would be worth approximately $565,000, although the Warriors will be reimbursed roughly $210,000 from the league under salary cap rules meant to encourage the signing of veteran free agents.

A 6-foot-10, 245-pound forward/center who came into the league as a wondrous athletic specimen, Webber has been slowed physically by 14 NBA seasons, most notably undergoing microfracture surgery in 2003. But Nelson badly wants to add Webber's size, passing ability and shooting touch to a playing rotation in which Andris Biedrins and Al Harrington are the only big men receiving significant minutes.

"I would say that if I had a talented big man who could make passes, it would help everybody on the team," Nelson said Sunday. "I can only run so many plays where Baron (Davis) is the passer."

Certainly, the Warriors could use an offensive alternative when their defense is not delivering fast-break points; right now, they fall back too easily on 3-pointers, shooting a league-high average of 27.7 attempts per game.

A Warriors spokesman, citing team policy, declined to comment on the impending deal, which would reunite Webber and Nelson for the first time since 1993-94. The pair helped Golden State win 50 games that season and Webber took home NBA Rookie of the Year honors, but cracks in their relationship started to become public in January and February. After the season, Webber exercised an opt-out clause in his 15-year, $74 million contract.

Webber held out until November 1994, when Golden State worked out a sign-and-trade deal with the Washington Bullets, shipping out Webber in exchange for forward Tom Gugliotta and three first-round selections. Nelson stepped down as the club's general manager and coach in February 1995, and the franchise didn't garner another playoff berth -- or even a winning record -- until he returned last season.

The Warriors' interest in Webber came to light last week, although it may have been going on for much longer than that. A person familiar with the talks said Nelson and Webber have worked through any residual enmity, and Nelson insisted Sunday that he has no fears of a repeat performance.

"I think I'll get along with anybody who can help our team," Nelson said.

Webber, who turns 35 on March 1 and has not played this season, also had interest from the Lakers, but went with Golden State after Los Angeles reportedly asked him to work on a tryout basis under two 10-day contracts before receiving a season-long deal. He reportedly had been hoping to return to Detroit after averaging 11.3 points and 6.7 rebounds with the Pistons last season, but no offer was forthcoming.

Notes: The Warriors officially announced the signing of guard C.J. Watson to a deal for the remainder of the year. Watson's second 10-day contract expired Monday. "It's a sigh of relief," Watson said. "I've just been working hard and trying to show them that I'm someone to keep here." Watson has been wearing No. 4, the jersey that was property of Webber during his one season as a Warrior. What if Webber wants to wear that number again? "If he wants it, I'm taking all (offers)," Watson joked. And if Webber just stares him down? "Then he might win," Watson allowed.

it is finally official. webber is back and hudson is gone.

EDIT: forgot link and stuff: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/50578/20080129/webber_signs_with_golden_state_hudson_waived/

[table][tr][td]Webber Signs With Golden State, Hudson Waived[/td] [/tr][tr][td]January 29, 2008 - 3:01 pm[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Webber_Chris_det.jpg
RealGM Staff Report -
The Golden State Warriors have signed free agent forward/center Chris Webber to a contract, Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Chris Mullin announced today. Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not announced.

To make room on the roster for Webber's arrival, the Warriors have waived guard Troy Hudson. Originally signed as a free agent on September 24, 2007, Hudson appeared in nine games this season, averaging 3.1 points and 1.0 assists in 10.4 minutes per contest. He last appeared in a game on December 12 and underwent surgery on his left hip on January 10.

Webber, 34, appeared in 61 games (60 starts) last season with Philadelphia (18 games) and Detroit (43 games), averaging 11.2 points, 7.2 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 29.9 minutes per contest, while shooting 50.9% from the field.

"We're glad that Chris has elected to sign with our club and feel fortunate to add a player with his ability," said Mullin. "We think he will be a nice addition to our team and provide additional depth to our frontcourt and an added veteran presence on the floor. Chris has enjoyed a lot of success in this league and certainly has many aspects to his game - in particular his mid-range shooting and passing ability - that will fit in well and provide us another dimension."

"It is with great pride and humility that I announce my return to the Golden State Warriors , the place where it all started," said Webber. "This organization and city has always had a special place in my heart because it is where my dream of being an NBA player first came true. I am looking forward to playing with Baron, Stephen and the rest of the crew and I am extremely excited to be reunited with the fans of Oakland along with Coach Nelson and my former teammate, Mully. In playing for Nellie before, I know how much fun his style of ball can be. I believe great things are in store and I can't wait to get on the court."[/td] [/tr][/table]

Back
Top Bottom