Official "When did MJ wear those??" post and FAQs!!

Have a question.  3m on Mjs shoes, did they have them or not?  Im talking about 5s, 6s, 13s,.  I have always thought his specific pairs did not have the 3m in them due simply because they never showed up in photos, ever.  But came across a photo while back on ebay from a private photo collector that LOOKED like there was 3m flashing off his VIs during 91 Finals.  If I can find it I will post.  I believe its been discussed before.
Yes, there were some Tinker Tech Specs of the Jordan 5 that mentions the reflective tongue. 

Here's a screenshot of Mike lacing up some Vs, you can see the 3M tongue

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, Tinker even mentioned in some interview that he wanted the reflective tongue for the V's so that the cameras flashing when Mike was in the air would bring attention to the shoe. I need to find that interview...

If I'm not mistaken, Tinker even mentioned in some interview that he wanted the reflective tongue for the V's so that the cameras flashing when Mike was in the air would bring attention to the shoe. I need to find that interview...
  The 3m thing has always intrigued me.

The 3m thing has always intrigued me.

The whole Mike not rocking a pair of Metallics or 3M tongue Fire reds without the 23 stitched on the side while on the court still intrigues me. I'm still trying to debunk it but every pic with him wearing them says it's a fact :nerd:

I am always searching for photos of Jordan wearing the OG white cement IV, as this is my favorite show of all time. These photos definitely seem more rare to me than a lot of the other models or colorways that he wore during games but could never figure out why. I have seen the common ones like the Bulls playing the Bucks in Milwaukee or the Rockets in Chicago, and a few others that everyone sees, but I keep coming across more pics of him in the fire red IV's and the black cements. Then I came across a YouTube video from March 21st 1989 of the Bulls playing the Lakers in L.A.

He is clearly wearing the fire red IV's even though conventional wisdom says that he would wear the white cements until the regular season ended before wearing the black cements in the playoffs.

Stills from the video:

We have all seem the photos of Mike wearing the fire reds against the Lakers, but I always thought that must have been in the beginning of the '89-'90 season before the V's dropped. I have since looked at the schedule for the '89-'90 season and saw the Bulls didn't play the Lakers until February 7th of the '90 season in L.A. and he was wearing the V by then because he started to wear that model a few games before the All Star break. Also photos back this up....(Google Jordan dunk on Woodridge).

So my question is, does anyone know how many games Mike wore the white cement IV for during the '88-'89 season or a link or something to other pics of him wearing these on the court? Is this shoe one that he didn't even like? Just seems weird that he would opt for an alternate colorway for this model out of the normal sequence of release that he didn't do for any other that I am aware of.

I am always searching for photos of Jordan wearing the OG white cement IV, as this is my favorite show of all time. These photos definitely seem more rare to me than a lot of the other models or colorways that he wore during games but could never figure out why. I have seen the common ones like the Bulls playing the Bucks in Milwaukee or the Rockets in Chicago, and a few others that everyone sees, but I keep coming across more pics of him in the fire red IV's and the black cements. Then I came across a YouTube video from March 21st 1989 of the Bulls playing the Lakers in L.A.

He is clearly wearing the fire red IV's even though conventional wisdom says that he would wear the white cements until the regular season ended before wearing the black cements in the playoffs.

Stills from the video:

We have all seem the photos of Mike wearing the fire reds against the Lakers, but I always thought that must have been in the beginning of the '89-'90 season before the V's dropped. I have since looked at the schedule for the '89-'90 season and saw the Bulls didn't play the Lakers until February 7th of the '90 season in L.A. and he was wearing the V by then because he started to wear that model a few games before the All Star break. Also photos back this up....(Google Jordan dunk on Woodridge).

So my question is, does anyone know how many games Mike wore the white cement IV for during the '88-'89 season or a link or something to other pics of him wearing these on the court? Is this shoe one that he didn't even like? Just seems weird that he would opt for an alternate colorway for this model out of the normal sequence of release that he didn't do for any other that I am aware of.

He wore the White/Cements for mostly the 2nd half of the 88-89 season and switched to the Fire Reds for the 1st half of the 89-90 season. The Fire Red IV's were likely slated to be MJ's "playoff" shoe before the team adopted Brad Sellers' idea to rock black shoes in the postseason. He wore the white/cements more frequently than published online photos suggest though.

Beyond the pics already provided, Getty images shows Mike also wore the cement 4's on:

2/3/89 @ Houston
2/25/89 @ Atlanta
3/24/89 @ Portland

Oh, and a cement cake on 2/17/89!

Stills from the video:

The fact that this game was in LA also probably had something to do with it, as he wore the white/cement 3s a bit early in the LA game in Feb. '88 right before ASW. He actually wore the 3s early a bunch of times, even going back to the 1987 portion of the season.

Not sure if anyone is still interested in this topic but here is what I have been able to find.  I am still looking for info for the games without info that I have listed.  Sources have been youtube and getty images.  If anyone knows what colorway of the IV that Mike wore for the missing games, please let me know.
[table][tr][td]Date[/td][td]  [/td][td]Opponent[/td][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][td]Tm[/td][td]Opp[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Tue, Jan 31, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Detroit Pistons[/td][td]L[/td][td]OT[/td][td]98[/td][td]104[/td][td]Fire Red 3[/td][/tr][tr][td]Thu, Feb 2, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Sacramento Kings[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]109[/td][td]98[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Fri, Feb 3, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Houston Rockets[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]98[/td][td]105[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Sun, Feb 5, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Detroit Pistons[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]102[/td][td]113[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Tue, Feb 7, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Charlotte Hornets[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]118[/td][td]93[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Thu, Feb 9, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]San Antonio Spurs[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]108[/td][td]103[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Tue, Feb 14, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Atlanta Hawks[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]98[/td][td]106[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Thu, Feb 16, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Milwaukee Bucks[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]117[/td][td]116[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Sun, Feb 19, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Milwaukee Bucks[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]108[/td][td]106[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Mon, Feb 20, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Portland Trail Blazers[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]102[/td][td]98[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Wed, Feb 22, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Charlotte Hornets[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]130[/td][td]102[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Fri, Feb 24, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Houston Rockets[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]106[/td][td]97[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Sat, Feb 25, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Atlanta Hawks[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]95[/td][td]125[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Tue, Feb 28, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]San Antonio Spurs[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]121[/td][td]102[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Fri, Mar 3, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Milwaukee Bucks[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]102[/td][td]96[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Sat, Mar 4, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]New York Knicks[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]104[/td][td]122[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Tue, Mar 7, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Philadelphia 76ers[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]88[/td][td]90[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Wed, Mar 8, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Boston Celtics[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]95[/td][td]104[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Sat, Mar 11, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Seattle SuperSonics[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]105[/td][td]88[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Mon, Mar 13, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Indiana Pacers[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]122[/td][td]90[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Wed, Mar 15, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Cleveland Cavaliers[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]91[/td][td]115[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Fri, Mar 17, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]New York Knicks[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]129[/td][td]124[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Sat, Mar 18, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Indiana Pacers[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]103[/td][td]114[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Tue, Mar 21, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Los Angeles Lakers[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]104[/td][td]103[/td][td]Fire Red IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Wed, Mar 22, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Phoenix Suns[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]112[/td][td]111[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Fri, Mar 24, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Portland Trail Blazers[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]128[/td][td]113[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Sat, Mar 25, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Seattle SuperSonics[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]111[/td][td]110[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Tue, Mar 28, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Golden State Warriors[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]115[/td][td]106[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Wed, Mar 29, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Milwaukee Bucks[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]106[/td][td]102[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Fri, Mar 31, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Cleveland Cavaliers[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]100[/td][td]109[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Sun, Apr 2, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]New Jersey Nets[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]106[/td][td]95[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Tue, Apr 4, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Charlotte Hornets[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]121[/td][td]101[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Thu, Apr 6, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Detroit Pistons[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]108[/td][td]115[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Fri, Apr 7, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Detroit Pistons[/td][td]L[/td][td]OT[/td][td]112[/td][td]114[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Sun, Apr 9, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Atlanta Hawks[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]100[/td][td]108[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Thu, Apr 13, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Indiana Pacers[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]105[/td][td]109[/td][td]Fire Red IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Fri, Apr 14, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]New Jersey Nets[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]111[/td][td]123[/td][td]Fire Red IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Sun, Apr 16, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Cleveland Cavaliers[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]92[/td][td]111[/td][td]Fire Red IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Mon, Apr 17, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]New York Knicks[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]104[/td][td]100[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Thu, Apr 20, 1989[/td][td]@[/td][td]Washington Bullets[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]98[/td][td]100[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Fri, Apr 21, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Washington Bullets[/td][td]W[/td][td]  [/td][td]115[/td][td]113[/td][td]Fire Red IV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Sun, Apr 23, 1989[/td][td]  [/td][td]Cleveland Cavaliers[/td][td]L[/td][td]  [/td][td]84[/td][td]90[/td][td]White Cement IV[/td][/tr][/table]

Last edited:
^^ 2/3/89 @ Houston Cement 4

He also had at least one game AT Atlanta where he wore the Fire Reds, which you don't have noted. Getty has this mismarked but it was 4/9 (He wore cements 2/25)

Thanks for the pics. I agree with the date for the pic at Houston, but not too sure on the dating for the pic at Atlanta. 'Nique is rocking pumps, which didn't debut until late November '89. Based on that release date I would have to say that pic is from the first half of the '89-'90 season.

But again, thank you for supplying more awesome pics that I had not seen before, and I will update my chart.

Huge shout out 2 bigj for locking my thread and leading me 2 this 1...just spent over an hour and read the entire thing. Besides the jordan 1 thread this one here is the greatest on NT

The fact that this game was in LA also probably had something to do with it, as he wore the white/cement 3s a bit early in the LA game in Feb. '88 right before ASW. He actually wore the 3s early a bunch of times, even going back to the 1987 portion of the season.

here's the Indiana game late in 89 where he wore the Fire Red IV''s

I think the White/Reds released in late 1986 if im not mistaken.

This is what I vaguely remember too...At the time I was still about the 1's for $29.99 though...Don't actually remember getting any 2's until sometime late '87, maybe like back to school time, and they were "old" at that point...

Why did the 2's release in 87 and not in 86? Was it because Jordan was injured?
AJ2s first released in November 1986.

Jordan was injured in the third game of the 85-86 season and came back just before the 1986 playoffs, still wearing the AJ1. He wore the AJ2 from the beginning of the 86-87 season.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't MJ wear black laces in the Carmine 6's, for a couple games? I could've sworn I seen pics of em, a few years ago. Can someone help me out?

Back
Top Bottom