Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

I would of obviously picked the "most sci-fi movie of the decade"..."movie with the most action scenes"...etc.

I thought the movie stunk, and that's why I put it so low. Not because it wasn't very well placed into science fiction.

LTB: Are you kidding me? You have clearly said in multiple posts that you did not consider the movie sci-fi at all, and it was something you considered with your rankings. Do you honestly think we're blind or something?
Its a DRAFT, rounds matter.

How am I supposed to know who drafted when?

CP put up a list of who drafted what, and I ranked em.

Whatever, like I said, if yall have that big of an issue with it, omit my vote.
laugh.gif

Like Kev said, the draft orders been on page one...i don't see why you are laughing, it's obviously important to all of us otherwise it wouldn't be there. You're completely ignoring all of the principals that go into a draft, and that is the thing thats bothering us the most, not that 'you didn't like it'. Stop saying that, we get it you didn't like it, but thats not the only reason you gave it 1 point...

and like Big J said, if you didn't want us to critique your judging strategy then you didn't have to post it out in the open. We're obviously going to speak our minds on anything we see on a message board.

I would of obviously picked the "most sci-fi movie of the decade"..."movie with the most action scenes"...etc.

I thought the movie stunk, and that's why I put it so low. Not because it wasn't very well placed into science fiction.

LTB: Are you kidding me? You have clearly said in multiple posts that you did not consider the movie sci-fi at all, and it was something you considered with your rankings. Do you honestly think we're blind or something?
Its a DRAFT, rounds matter.

How am I supposed to know who drafted when?

CP put up a list of who drafted what, and I ranked em.

Whatever, like I said, if yall have that big of an issue with it, omit my vote.
laugh.gif

Like Kev said, the draft orders been on page one...i don't see why you are laughing, it's obviously important to all of us otherwise it wouldn't be there. You're completely ignoring all of the principals that go into a draft, and that is the thing thats bothering us the most, not that 'you didn't like it'. Stop saying that, we get it you didn't like it, but thats not the only reason you gave it 1 point...

and like Big J said, if you didn't want us to critique your judging strategy then you didn't have to post it out in the open. We're obviously going to speak our minds on anything we see on a message board.

ohhh i c. okay here is where i am confused

example- 3 people pick drama. movie a,b,c

movie a and b were picked first and second. movie c was the 70th pick and a sleeper. movie c is slightly worse than a and b

should movie c be rated higher thatn a and b?

My problem with JA's approach is he put his own personal beliefs into the importance of genres, specifically that Eternal wasn't Sci-Fi enough

Uhh, no, I thought it sucked. It just happens to be that I thought it was poorly placed too. I thought the same of Iron Man and 28 Days Later, so what?

He's allowed to hate Eternal Sunshine, no one is forcing him to like it, but for the sake of fairness... shouldn't the OVERWHELMING opinion factor in to the judges ranking?

So all consumers any kind of product should appease the masses even if they don't like it? LOLWUT.

English? Do you speak it?
My point is, personal opinion as to what movie is better is obviously a factor in the judges job, no one should deny that. But if I say the Godfather is the worst movie of all-time and penalize someone who picks it in a 70s draft, do I really have a good opinion about films? Should I expect people to simply agree with me because "I don't have to like it, my opinion is that it sucks"

You'll reply with "So what the majority of people say about a movie is what everyone should believe"... which isn't what I'm saying.Eternal Sunshine is considered to be one of the best movies of the decade, by a HUGE majority, and that getting the lowest possible points seems illogical.

This is why I suggested a ranking system for the judges (figure out the best 1-14 however you want), then once the initial vote was tallied we would re-vote with the top 5 to find our winner. It would prevent anomalies such as this from influencing the rest of the voting. I would imagine most wouldn't rank this movie so low and this is the exception. And it isn't picking on JA per se, he's just been a good example of an issue within the voting for the drafts.

My problem with JA's approach is he put his own personal beliefs into the importance of genres, specifically that Eternal wasn't Sci-Fi enough

Uhh, no, I thought it sucked. It just happens to be that I thought it was poorly placed too. I thought the same of Iron Man and 28 Days Later, so what?

He's allowed to hate Eternal Sunshine, no one is forcing him to like it, but for the sake of fairness... shouldn't the OVERWHELMING opinion factor in to the judges ranking?

So all consumers any kind of product should appease the masses even if they don't like it? LOLWUT.

My point is, personal opinion as to what movie is better is obviously a factor in the judges job, no one should deny that. But if I say the Godfather is the worst movie of all-time and penalize someone who picks it in a 70s draft, do I really have a good opinion about films? Should I expect people to simply agree with me because "I don't have to like it, my opinion is that it sucks"

You'll reply with "So what the majority of people say about a movie is what everyone should believe"... which isn't what I'm saying.Eternal Sunshine is considered to be one of the best movies of the decade, by a HUGE majority, and that getting the lowest possible points seems illogical.

This is why I suggested a ranking system for the judges (figure out the best 1-14 however you want), then once the initial vote was tallied we would re-vote with the top 5 to find our winner. It would prevent anomalies such as this from influencing the rest of the voting. I would imagine most wouldn't rank this movie so low and this is the exception. And it isn't picking on JA per se, he's just been a good example of an issue within the voting for the drafts.

I'll drop it, along with everyone else, because arguing about a film fantasy draft on a sneaker message board is something I didn't think I'd ever be doing
laugh.gif

I'll drop it, along with everyone else, because arguing about a film fantasy draft on a sneaker message board is something I didn't think I'd ever be doing
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I agree with your whole post. But i said i'd drop it so i can't anything more than that. 
tired.gif

I agree with your whole post. But i said i'd drop it so i can't anything more than that. 
tired.gif

That's surprising, considering the amount of R-rated comedies that were picked... Old School played a huge role in the rise in those films getting made and being successful.

That's surprising, considering the amount of R-rated comedies that were picked... Old School played a huge role in the rise in those films getting made and being successful.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom