Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

5.9/8 My mother in law wanted us to watch Zoo Keeper’s Wife. Based on the true story of Dr. & Mrs. Zabinski who used their zoo in Warsaw to hide 200-300 Jews from the nazis during the war.

Movie dragged a bit & Chastain can sometimes come across too stoic but it was an important story to tell so I appreciated the movie in that respect. Had to watch though because that was homework from the moms in law. Another reminder of how insidious the nazis were. A good nazi is a dead one.

That shi shi modern lookin’ hotel in the desert in Quantum of Solace was a big *** fire hazard.... I mean damn 1 car crash set that whole series of explosions. :lol:

That first season of Counterpart was great.

The sci-fi concept with the spycraft trappings is excellent. Damn near perfect.

J.K. Simmons is amazing in this. There's a emotional part of this story and philosophical dichotomy about identity playing in to the alternate history concept that is executed very well.

On the flip, this second season of Get Shorty has disappointed me. Going great as usual but then the snitching came in to this and it threw me. Then imprisonment.

Monsters & Men 5.8/8

Pretty good movie. My biggest gripe is not so much the ending but how it ends. I get ehat they were going for but it didnt feel thats where yhe movie should've ended or with that character. The movie felt unfinished to me in that sense. Like it jist ends a bit abruptly. Like its clear that final scene is leading to the ending up story wise it felt this story was not finished being told. Movie should've gotten an extra 20-30 min to do this topic justice.

The movie similar to Moonlight goes in 3 parts flowing more effortlessly as it focuses on 3 different characters. I get don't ot going back to them but I really would've liked a conclusion for the first character they focus on that kicks off the conflict of the movie. Instead his fare is left up in the air but in an ominous way where if youre practical things mostly likely don't end well for him given the racism and how corrupt the system is. Wish the movie followed a 4th character to really get another angle on this topic

Anyway, he was good in BlacKkKlansman but damn, John David Washington is the goods. He was just really good in his part. The writing strong throughout but it really captured that specific ttpe of person in that struggle and predicament given how both sides pull at them in this controversy. He portrayed it so well.

Definitely recommend this to get a watch.

Venom 4.8/8

This was okay. Just okay. Average is the word that comes to mind. Not bad or mediocre just average.

Some fine action, weak villain in Riz's Drake reminiscent of the old MCU villains, really good cgi, solid acting, the voice of the Venom symbiote was good, the hukor was hit or miss, the tone was a mixed bag; probably would've had a really good movie if this was rated R or they leaned more in to the horror genre. Like this could've had the samw tone as It and managed to get their humor while having that element of fear.

I walked out of a movie for the first time last night.

Night School

I didnt laugh or even crack a smirk ..not even once. Kevin Hart and Tiffany Haddish play the exact same characters in every movie. :smh: (Let's yell and be overly dramatic for no reason.) The lines were all just so forced and cringey. Great overall message though. Just not worth paying for.

When I walked out, I was going to sneak into Venom, but it only had like 15 mins left. So I was forced to go back in and sit through the madness.

I walked out of a movie for the first time last night.

Night School

I didnt laugh or even crack a smirk ..not even once. Kevin Hart and Tiffany Haddish play the exact same characters in every movie. :smh: (Let's yell and be overly dramatic for no reason.) The lines were all just so forced and cringey. Great overall message though. Just not worth paying for.

When I walked out, I was going to sneak into Venom, but it only had like 15 mins left. So I was forced to go back in and sit through the madness.

Haddish is essentially (becoming) a female Kevin Hart.

I feel Ike Hart & Haddish have terrible agents & terible people around them.

Their agents are taking anything & everything instead of crafting a great career for them.

Also whoever’s in their circle, they aren’t telling them their picking terrible projects.

Last edited:
Plowed thru some movies over the past few weeks...

Traffik - 0/8 poooooor acting....poooooor plot.....1/2 way thru, I told my wife, I guarantee before the credits roll the movie will flash a stat about human trafficking numbers in the US. You can predict EVERYTHING that will happen in this flick. Sorry movie.

Braven - 0/8 (couldn't even remember the name of the movie...had to log into Netflix to see my history to double-check :lol: ....movie sucked that much)

Superfly - 1/8 (imagine the most cliched rap video spread out over 90 minutes.)

Sicario 2 - 3.5/8 No where near as good as the OG, but it was entertaining. Glad I didn't spend money on it to see it in theaters...I can see why the reviews were all over the place. SO many plot holes...I have 2 questions:

1. How did Miguel recognize Alejandro with all the other people crossing the border? Did I miss something earlier in the film where they met or may have seen one another?

2. For a second, I thought Miguel was a rat....how did he have the wherewithal to jump from the truck after he shot Alejandro in the head? Thought he was tipped off, but there was nothing in the movie that suggested he did. Can someone explain what they thought?

Haddish is essentially (becoming) a female Kevin Hart.

Most definitely. He basically took her under his wing awhile back.

I like Tiffany, I found her lines funny in Girls Trip. But this ? Idk who wrote this ...this ain't it chief. :smh:

I feel Ike Hart & Haddish have terrible agents & terible people around them.

Their agents are taking anything & everything instead of crafting a great career for them.

Also whoever’s in their circle, they aren’t telling them their picking terrible projects.
I don't even think Hart is that good so I wouldn't put it on his agent cuz he's not an actor first. He's choosing these movie roles and a lot of times he and his team are writing developing these movies. The way he's talked about Night School, skunds lime he was 100% behind it.

I don't think Kevin Hart has good taste. Son about his money.

Last edited:
Sicario 2 - 3.5/8 No where near as good as the OG, but it was entertaining. Glad I didn't spend money on it to see it in theaters...I can see why the reviews were all over the place. SO many plot holes...I have 2 questions:

1. How did Miguel recognize Alejandro with all the other people crossing the border? Did I miss something earlier in the film where they met or may have seen one another?

2. For a second, I thought Miguel was a rat....how did he have the wherewithal to jump from the truck after he shot Alejandro in the head? Thought he was tipped off, but there was nothing in the movie that suggested he did. Can someone explain what they thought?
Yeah you did. Miguel saw Alejandro in the mall parking lot when he was in the car with the other feds and they almost hit him with the car. Miguel stared them down.

The whole struggle with Miguel was if he had it in him to kill a man and be as ruthless as the crew he was trying to join. He felt horrible after he thought he killed Alejandro. Every body in the back of that truck is celebrating and congratulating him and he just was not in the mood. So he dipped to clear his head or w/e.

Obviously he got through that and became more of a banger when we see him after that time skip and he's all tatted up.

Last edited:
I don't even think Hart is that good so I wouldn't put it on his agent cuz he's not an actor first. He's choosing these movie roles and a lot of times he and his team are writing developing these movies. The way he's talked about Night School, skunds lime he was 100% behind it.

I don't think Kevin Hart has good taste. Son about his money.
I remember seeing early stuff with Hart like this scene & thought he was hilarious. And I’m almost sure this was mostly if not all ad-libbed.

Perhaps it is him which is why it’s important to have a good agent or good people around you to help you get good projects & help craft a good career while also making sure you say no to the BS.

Miles Teller is another one. He’s picked some really awful projects... Hope he at least got paid.

I remember seeing early stuff with Hart like this scene & thought he was hilarious. And I’m almost sure this was mostly if not all ad-libbed.

Perhaps it is him which is why it’s important to have a good agent or good people around you to help you get good projects & help craft a good career while also making sure you say no to the BS.

Miles Teller is another one. He’s picked some really awful projects... Hope he at least got paid.

Well Miles is an actual actor. So he can waver like that in his career.

I feel its really different with Hart. Yeah he was really funny in that scene and probably was improvising but just look at all of his movies, majority comedies, majority of them not good.

The ppl around him agree with him. The thing is to me I do not believe his goal is to make quality funny movies. Its to make money off these movies that are decent at best. Keving Hart isn't pushing the craft forward or trying to be at the forefront of it.

I rewatched Memento last night and questioned the motivation that drove the plot.

Someone could've simply gave him a video camera and he could've recorded himself a simple message like in 50 First Dates :lol:

Get Shorty the TV series is an underrated crime tv show, I don't see it talked about much. Slow *** pace but its somewhere between Ozark/Saul/Barry.

Well Miles is an actual actor. So he can waver like that in his career.

I feel its really different with Hart. Yeah he was really funny in that scene and probably was improvising but just look at all of his movies, majority comedies, majority of them not good.

The ppl around him agree with him. The thing is to me I do not believe his goal is to make quality funny movies. Its to make money off these movies that are decent at best. Keving Hart isn't pushing the craft forward or trying to be at the forefront of it.
Kevin Hart has also type-cast himself. He plays the same character regardless of plot or supporting cast. He knows what he's doing and he's definitely not trying to be taken seriously or win any Oscars when he acts.

Miles Teller is an interesting guy. I think he was confused early taking on the Divergent series and then Fantastic Four was awful. He's got some bangers though Whiplash. Bleed For This. Only the Brave. I liked all of those and now he's in Top Gun. We'll see if he continues to mature and pick good roles.

Kevin Hart has also type-cast himself. He plays the same character regardless of plot or supporting cast. He knows what he's doing and he's definitely not trying to be taken seriously or win any Oscars when he acts.

Miles Teller is an interesting guy. I think he was confused early taking on the Divergent series and then Fantastic Four was awful. He's got some bangers though Whiplash. Bleed For This. Only the Brave. I liked all of those and now he's in Top Gun. We'll see if he continues to mature and pick good roles.
Yeah, Hart is not all thay good of an actor anyway but he's not stupid. He's puck8ng roles and making movirs based on the cash flow.

I dont like Teller's face. Konda do t care for him as an actor but he definitely is good and has had a few performances that have made me look past that; Whiplash and War Dogs. Plus he's done a handful of ok to good movies.

tumblr_pgb1x8pwqA1qbksez_640.jpg

tumblr_pgb1o5v0Zv1qbksez_640.jpg

I had the pleasure of attending the premiere of "Mid90s" last night at The NY Film Festival and a Q&A w/ Jonah Hill and cast afterwards. I really enjoyed the film. I won't go into too much detail but after the first scene, you do feel like you've been time-warped back to the 90s. Also, the music used in the film is spot on, esp the hip hop. I was jamming to the excess Wu records being played throughout the film. Besides the authentic 90's feel, there's a big brother / little brother dynamic in the film that's very profound. Something I can relate to personally.

There's going to be some LadyBird comparisons but while I do think Lady Bird is a better film overall but I felt more connected to Mid90s. I encourage everyone to see this film when it hits theaters on 10/19

In the Q&A, which was too short imo, Jonah said he started writing the film 4-5 years ago. Said after attending last year's Lady Bird premiere at the NYFF, he was hoping his film was good enough for similar premiere. It is.

7/8

A star is born 6.5/8

Great movie, solid directing debut by Bradley Cooper. Lady Gaga suprised me on this one, she did a great job as well. I thought the movie was dragging on for too long at some point but in the end, I felt like it was necessary. Would watch again.

Good movie date night. The couple in front of me was crying when the credits was rolling.

not sure if rated it in this thread but hotel artemis was trash/8. jeezus what a ****** movie. i would be pissed if i paid to see it in the theater.

Back
Top Bottom