Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Currently

First time:

IMG_0013.jpeg

I don't know if this link will work, but look at this selection of movies from these four. :wow:

I know literally nothing about movies in the grand scheme of cinema. :frown:

I don't know if this link will work, but look at this selection of movies from these four. :wow:

Screenshot_20240909_075314_Samsung Internet.jpg

Triangle of Sadness
It's a Wonderful Life
Holiday Inn
Beetlejuice

Screenshot_20240909_074928_Samsung Internet.jpg

La Haine
Barry London
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Paris, Texas

Screenshot_20240909_075041_Samsung Internet.jpg

Matewan
Au Revoir les Enfants
Lost in America
Modern Romance
After Life

Screenshot_20240909_075107_Samsung Internet.jpg

Blue Velvet
Purple Moon
Apocalypse Now
The Jerk

I was talking about Triangle of Sadness in this thread when it was out, glad it was propped up there, great great role reversal movie

I’m there with you. Just never put the time/effort into consistently watching films from outside the US or that were made before the 70s. That’s why, as much as I love movies, I’ll never call myself a cinefile.

I’m there with you. Just never put the time/effort into consistently watching films from outside the US or that were made before the 70s. That’s why, as much as I love movies, I’ll never call myself a cinefile.
Technically speaking, "a person who is fond of motion pictures" does not contain a comparitive component (alliteration 🔥).
That professionals in the film industry have a mental catalog of movies from outside the US or before the 70s that you're not even aware of does not exclude you from being fond of motion pictures. :smile:

To me, it's no different then meeting a new friend who tells you they're a basketball player but they tell you they've never received a scholarship or paycheck*; they're not on the same level as pros.

Well, neither are you. :smile:

(That's my take, though. Not trying to force you to call yourself a cinephile. 😂)

*Yes, I know it's not a perfect comparison because in that comparison, he is directly acknowledging that he is not a professional whereas the professionals discussing their favorite movies are simply naming films that we've never heard of. We're not talking about the fact that they are paid and this hypothetical new friend has never been paid to play basketball. That detail is not part of the point I was getting at; 'not the same level as the pros so I'm not [label]' is the point I was getting at.)

idk why but lately I’ve had the itch to watch early 2000s comic-book movies. Fantastic Four + Silver Surfer, Bana Hulk, Daredevil and Elektra. Even that cheap suit Fantastic 4 from the 90s. Seen all the Tobey Spider-Man’s

Are you... alluding to... what I think... you're...

... naaaah. Not you 😂👀
It’s nothing complex. Just an example of smiling at your crush when she says something you like. (Smiling in funny way, but smiling nevertheless).

The filmmakers had to be laughing when they made that scene. Had to be. Otherwise, it’s one of the most unintentionally funny movie moments of all time.

I don’t know how Jennifer Lopez managed to keep a straight face during that scene. That alone is a demonstration of great acting skills. :lol:

In addition to that, I think Jennifer Lopez is a really great actress. But that’s a story for another day.

Today is another day.

WHAT?!?!?!?

Please hit me with this one. I am genuinely curious. B
I know a lot of people say she’s a “terrible actress,” but I don’t see it.

I’ve yet to see her in a movie, or more specifically, a scene, where she would meet the many criteria of what would constitute of “bad acting.”

Nothing seems out of place. Delivery, body language, believability, behaving in a way that is appropriate to the specific situation, all checks out.

Is there some sort of bias going on? Where people subconsciously believe that singers turned actors generally tend to be not so skilled?

Nah, but for real though. If someone has something to contribute on this matter, I’m willing to listen. I love to learn

I know a lot of people say she’s a “terrible actress,” but I don’t see it.

I’ve yet to see her in a movie, or more specifically, a scene, where she would meet the many criteria of what would constitute of “bad acting.”

Nothing seems out of place. Delivery, body language, believability, behaving in a way that is appropriate to the specific situation, all checks out.

Is there some sort of bias going on? Where people subconsciously believe that singers turned actors generally tend to be not so skilled?

I was just surprised to hear a different take on her than the norm.

I use Out of Sight as an example of there is something there. She CRUSHED that role, imo.

Nominate her for Oscars? No, but can she act, and and a Hollywood starlet? Absolutely.

I guess I would equate it to Keanu, someone who will never win Oscars, but God damn if we don't rush to the theaters to see his films.

She was great in The Wedding Planner, the Rom-Com is certainly in her wheelhouse, she has a little toughness in her, Enough, the Boy Next Door was decent enough.

I guess I just haven't sat down and actually penciled it out to make my own call, but I feel like the Keanu view is kinda on point. (Now, Keanu one of THEEEEEE best humans on Earth, JLo is not that, so I just meant from an acting/Oscar viewpoint)

Back
Top Bottom