Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.

Sports: Sugar
Drama: Requiem for a Dream
Comedy: Adaptation.
Horror/Thriller: Shutter Island
Crime: Kill Bill: Vol. 2
Sci-Fi: 28 Days Later
Action: Der Untergang
Western: The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
Utility: Almost Famous
Utility: The King's Speech

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.

Sports: Sugar
Drama: Requiem for a Dream
Comedy: Adaptation.
Horror/Thriller: Shutter Island
Crime: Kill Bill: Vol. 2
Sci-Fi: 28 Days Later
Action: Der Untergang
Western: The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
Utility: Almost Famous
Utility: The King's Speech

How do you guys feel about mumblecore?

I saw Quiet City on IFCmaybe last summer, and I loved it. A couple others were prettyunbearable. Last night, I watched Greenberg, which is essentially thefirst mainstream mumblecore movie, and it kind of reignited my interest.

For those of you unfamiliar, this is the article I always have peopleread (it is long): http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2009/03/16/090316crci_cinema_denby
You'reabout twenty-five years old, and you're no more than, shall wesay, intermittently employed, so you spend a great deal of time talkingwith friends about trivial things or about love affairs that ended ornever quite happened; and sometimes, if you're lucky, you fall intobed, or almost fall into bed and just enjoy the flirtation, withsomeone in the group. This chatty sitting around, with sex occasionallyadded, is not the sole subject of "mumblecore," a recent genre ofmicro-budget independent movies, but it's a dominant one. Mumblecoremovies are made by buddies, casual and serious lovers, andnetworks of friends, and they're about college-educated men and womenwho aren't driven by ideas or by passions or even by a desire to maketheir way in the world. Neither rebels nor bohemians, they remain stuckin a limbo of semi-genteel, moderately hip poverty, though some of thefilms end with a lurch into the working world. The actors (almostalways nonprofessionals) rarely say what they mean; a lot of the time,they don't know what they mean. The movies tell stories but they'realso a kind of lyrical documentary of American stasis andinarticulateness.
A typical low-budget independent film with professional actors and agood cinematographer may cost upward of two or three million dollars.The budget for a mumblecore movie may be as low as fifteen hundreddollars. The films are usually shot with a digital camera, insomebody's apartment, and run about eighty minutes. The filmmakingensemble gathers around a writer-director-editor figure; they act inthe movie, add ideas or lines of dialogue, write music, play or singonscreen. Few people get paid much, if they get paid at all.
Some critics have deplored mumblecore movies as smug portraits of a new generation of privileged white slackers.
When the material is emotionally raw, and the nonprofessional actorsshow some strength, mumblecore delivers insights that Hollywood can'tcome close to.
This kind of busy-beaver, spontaneous activity is, of course, ade-facto rebuke to Hollywood's elephantine methods and inaneformulas—the snippy-snappy Kate Hudson comedies, the digital-actionfilms that whirl into nowhere.
Definitely not for a lot of people, and I certainly understand why. Nothing but awkward conversation and maybe awkward sex, essentially.

Quiet City, for example, was about two people who met on a New York subway platform and spend the next 24 hours or so hanging out around the city. The end.

Thecore and principle of the genre is fantastic to me, but the movies are really hit or miss.

How do you guys feel about mumblecore?

I saw Quiet City on IFCmaybe last summer, and I loved it. A couple others were prettyunbearable. Last night, I watched Greenberg, which is essentially thefirst mainstream mumblecore movie, and it kind of reignited my interest.

For those of you unfamiliar, this is the article I always have peopleread (it is long): http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2009/03/16/090316crci_cinema_denby
You'reabout twenty-five years old, and you're no more than, shall wesay, intermittently employed, so you spend a great deal of time talkingwith friends about trivial things or about love affairs that ended ornever quite happened; and sometimes, if you're lucky, you fall intobed, or almost fall into bed and just enjoy the flirtation, withsomeone in the group. This chatty sitting around, with sex occasionallyadded, is not the sole subject of "mumblecore," a recent genre ofmicro-budget independent movies, but it's a dominant one. Mumblecoremovies are made by buddies, casual and serious lovers, andnetworks of friends, and they're about college-educated men and womenwho aren't driven by ideas or by passions or even by a desire to maketheir way in the world. Neither rebels nor bohemians, they remain stuckin a limbo of semi-genteel, moderately hip poverty, though some of thefilms end with a lurch into the working world. The actors (almostalways nonprofessionals) rarely say what they mean; a lot of the time,they don't know what they mean. The movies tell stories but they'realso a kind of lyrical documentary of American stasis andinarticulateness.
A typical low-budget independent film with professional actors and agood cinematographer may cost upward of two or three million dollars.The budget for a mumblecore movie may be as low as fifteen hundreddollars. The films are usually shot with a digital camera, insomebody's apartment, and run about eighty minutes. The filmmakingensemble gathers around a writer-director-editor figure; they act inthe movie, add ideas or lines of dialogue, write music, play or singonscreen. Few people get paid much, if they get paid at all.
Some critics have deplored mumblecore movies as smug portraits of a new generation of privileged white slackers.
When the material is emotionally raw, and the nonprofessional actorsshow some strength, mumblecore delivers insights that Hollywood can'tcome close to.
This kind of busy-beaver, spontaneous activity is, of course, ade-facto rebuke to Hollywood's elephantine methods and inaneformulas—the snippy-snappy Kate Hudson comedies, the digital-actionfilms that whirl into nowhere.
Definitely not for a lot of people, and I certainly understand why. Nothing but awkward conversation and maybe awkward sex, essentially.

Quiet City, for example, was about two people who met on a New York subway platform and spend the next 24 hours or so hanging out around the city. The end.

Thecore and principle of the genre is fantastic to me, but the movies are really hit or miss.

Has anyone seen Picnic at Hanging Rock? It is supposedly one of Australia best films
Saw it on Showtime today,  Australian cinema can't be that good
ohwell.gif

Has anyone seen Picnic at Hanging Rock? It is supposedly one of Australia best films
Saw it on Showtime today,  Australian cinema can't be that good
ohwell.gif

Kev, are they basically plays that are off the cuff so to speak?  3-4 people ad-libbing? 

Prime's pick is in, just waiting for his reply to come thru, and then Shawn is up, I know his pick as well, but he's actually here so he can make it if he wants. 

Kev, are they basically plays that are off the cuff so to speak?  3-4 people ad-libbing? 

Prime's pick is in, just waiting for his reply to come thru, and then Shawn is up, I know his pick as well, but he's actually here so he can make it if he wants. 

8d616c1f2cf02321fb0101960ab824c7784dce6e.pjpg

With my last pick I select Unbreakable

Sports: Friday Night Lights 
Drama: The Social Network
Comedy: Super Bad
Horror/Thriller: American Pshyco
Crime: United 93
Sci-Fi: Iron Man
Action: Tropic Thunder
Western: Kill Bill
Utility: O Brother We're Art Thou
Utility: Unbreakable

8d616c1f2cf02321fb0101960ab824c7784dce6e.pjpg

With my last pick I select Unbreakable

Sports: Friday Night Lights 
Drama: The Social Network
Comedy: Super Bad
Horror/Thriller: American Pshyco
Crime: United 93
Sci-Fi: Iron Man
Action: Tropic Thunder
Western: Kill Bill
Utility: O Brother We're Art Thou
Utility: Unbreakable

Sports - Cinderella Man
Drama - A Beautiful Mind
Comedy - The Hangover
Horror/Thriller - Saw
Crime - Blow
Sci-Fi - The Book of Eli
Action - The Dark Knight
Western - The Mask of Zorro
Utility - Traffic
Utility - 40 Year Old Virgin

Sports - Cinderella Man
Drama - A Beautiful Mind
Comedy - The Hangover
Horror/Thriller - Saw
Crime - Blow
Sci-Fi - The Book of Eli
Action - The Dark Knight
Western - The Mask of Zorro
Utility - Traffic
Utility - 40 Year Old Virgin

This is Greenberg. Actually, calling it mainstream mumblecore is probably an oxymoron, but it has similarities (complete realism, dialogue-based, hardly any action, etc.). Just think of this, but really, really stripped down and less professional.

This is Greenberg. Actually, calling it mainstream mumblecore is probably an oxymoron, but it has similarities (complete realism, dialogue-based, hardly any action, etc.). Just think of this, but really, really stripped down and less professional.

Shaun takes I Am Legend, Sci-Fi. 

Kool is on the clock, then Ill, Dirk, JPZ,and JRP to finish out the draft. 

Then I will list all 14 teams and call on judges to pull thru with their votes.  As for the 14 judges, you will judge on the other 13 owners, and will NOT be allowed to vote on your own team. 

As for the 80's.  We can work on that in a few days.  Either we can proceed with one, or let it wait a few days/weeks so everyone can relax from "being on-call" so to speak. 
frown.gif
laugh.gif
  (sorry for the bothering)  I'll also post a list of movies not selected, maybe 15+ or so. 

Shaun takes I Am Legend, Sci-Fi. 

Kool is on the clock, then Ill, Dirk, JPZ,and JRP to finish out the draft. 

Then I will list all 14 teams and call on judges to pull thru with their votes.  As for the 14 judges, you will judge on the other 13 owners, and will NOT be allowed to vote on your own team. 

As for the 80's.  We can work on that in a few days.  Either we can proceed with one, or let it wait a few days/weeks so everyone can relax from "being on-call" so to speak. 
frown.gif
laugh.gif
  (sorry for the bothering)  I'll also post a list of movies not selected, maybe 15+ or so. 

I still need to know if v for vendetta could be considered thriller before I make my last pick

I still need to know if v for vendetta could be considered thriller before I make my last pick

Back
Top Bottom