Only 47% Percent Of African American Males Graduate Highschool

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by Al Audi

NAKO if you aint black you got no reason to put your 2 cents in

Because ONLY Black people are able to see the problems in communities and the educational system or point out how they affect Black youth?  Really?
laugh.gif

smh.gif

i thought you would get the sarcasm right away.

man i kid
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I wasn't sure if you were joking so I went with the safe defensive answer.

GucciMane I'm Black, Nigerian born, and New York City area raised.  I just think it's stupid to try to claim an exclusive right to thinking about a problem that every single person in this country should be concerned about.

Waits for him to say you can't comment on the plight of African Americans because your great great great grandparents weren't slaves.
ohwell.gif

For some people in this country, just like other parts of the world, high school isnt that much of a priority...its all relative depending on where ur from and how u grow up

For some people in this country, just like other parts of the world, high school isnt that much of a priority...its all relative depending on where ur from and how u grow up

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

Sooooooooooo, 53% of Black males don't graduate, so you say it all starts at home...but 75% of us grew up in single parent homes.

It can't start at home if no one is there. So where does it start? Does it ever start? Are Black people just doomed?

Chicken/egg. Good point brought up here.

It has to start from somewhere, it is a damn complex issue. Black kids suffer from institutionalized racism that has been engrained from birth. It isn't just that society doesn't feel they are good enough, THEY don't believe they are either. A lot of things black children need to learn are outside of the classroom. Presentation, confidence, these are the immeasurables that get people jobs.

Sooooooooooo, 53% of Black males don't graduate, so you say it all starts at home...but 75% of us grew up in single parent homes.

It can't start at home if no one is there. So where does it start? Does it ever start? Are Black people just doomed?

Chicken/egg. Good point brought up here.

It has to start from somewhere, it is a damn complex issue. Black kids suffer from institutionalized racism that has been engrained from birth. It isn't just that society doesn't feel they are good enough, THEY don't believe they are either. A lot of things black children need to learn are outside of the classroom. Presentation, confidence, these are the immeasurables that get people jobs.

Originally Posted by frshstunna

But we're all growing up in single parent homes...we're in vicious cycle that won't end anytime soon.

Originally Posted by frshstunna

But we're all growing up in single parent homes...we're in vicious cycle that won't end anytime soon.

I am white. I went to racially diverse schools, even in college. And I can tell you for real, the divide to me was always obvious up until I got a higher education. Statistics are usually exaggerated, and I don't doubt for a second that this one is too, but at some point you got to look at the bigger picture. No matter who you are, what your background is or who raised you, if you can't even see it in yourself to set a low bar like graduating high school, you've got some low self esteem.
ohwell.gif

I am white. I went to racially diverse schools, even in college. And I can tell you for real, the divide to me was always obvious up until I got a higher education. Statistics are usually exaggerated, and I don't doubt for a second that this one is too, but at some point you got to look at the bigger picture. No matter who you are, what your background is or who raised you, if you can't even see it in yourself to set a low bar like graduating high school, you've got some low self esteem.
ohwell.gif

Low self esteem?

My father's not around, my mother is trying to collect child support, my friends work on the corner...how am I supposed to have high self esteem? Where would it come from? Who are my positive role models?

How can you see in yourself what no one has ever seen before? To you graduating high school is a low bar, but to plenty of Black people that is a huge accomplishment, especially if you're one of the first in your family to do it.

Low self esteem?

My father's not around, my mother is trying to collect child support, my friends work on the corner...how am I supposed to have high self esteem? Where would it come from? Who are my positive role models?

How can you see in yourself what no one has ever seen before? To you graduating high school is a low bar, but to plenty of Black people that is a huge accomplishment, especially if you're one of the first in your family to do it.

Originally Posted by vq35dett

Originally Posted by LetItShine24

I'm an 8th grade teacher in a very large urban school district and, while I always take statistics with a grain of salt, the overall state of education in this country sucks and a ton of kids are dropping out or aren't finishing in time.  Even if a lot of these kids graduate, they aren't prepared for college (whether they get in or not).  A high school diploma in this country really isn't doing as much as it used to do.  We need to work harder to get kids into (and OUT OF) college.  It's a very very long road.

Education starts at home though.  Parents have to work hard and do everything they can to ensure that their children are getting everything they can out of school.  Honestly, my school is labeled as high needs and persistently dangerous, but all of the teachers come to work everyday and try very hard to do a good job.  The things we must overcome at school truly prevent most of the children from learning at the same rate as students in "better" schools.  It starts at home, with discipline, respect, and a sense that education is truly the key to their dreams...
Education does not start at home. It starts with the motivation of the student and his/her willingness to learn and succeed. My parents barley asked me about school because they knew that I had things under control. As well as my friends, parents were not a huge factor in their life and they are now at 4 year universities and state schools. Everything in life has to do with the student./
Wait...you mean the 8 year old 2nd grader?  You think that when you were 8 years old you went to school and sat down and said to yourself, "Man I better listen up cause I want to go to a 4 year university!"  Or the 13 year old 7th grader?

The problem is systemic.  It's not like all these kids get to high school and just lose all motivation (sometimes, maybe).  Most dropouts, I suspect, do so because they are lost at school and truly don't see how showing up everyday will help.  We're talking about profound issues.  Kids not being able to read or do basic math.  10th grade students at a 6th grade level.  Can you imagine getting a respectable SAT score with a 6th grade math level?  I had a student this summer who didn't know the alphabet!  He couldn't spell his own name.

Education does start at home.  It starts with building value in education.  It may seem innate but it's because of how you're raised.
Dude I am not talking about 2nd or 8th graders. This thread is about HIGH SCHOOL students. Obviously a 2nd grade student is not going to give two $h&%s about school

Originally Posted by LetItShine24

I'm an 8th grade teacher in a very large urban school district and, while I always take statistics with a grain of salt, the overall state of education in this country sucks and a ton of kids are dropping out or aren't finishing in time.  Even if a lot of these kids graduate, they aren't prepared for college (whether they get in or not).  A high school diploma in this country really isn't doing as much as it used to do.  We need to work harder to get kids into (and OUT OF) college.  It's a very very long road.

Education starts at home though.  Parents have to work hard and do everything they can to ensure that their children are getting everything they can out of school.  Honestly, my school is labeled as high needs and persistently dangerous, but all of the teachers come to work everyday and try very hard to do a good job.  The things we must overcome at school truly prevent most of the children from learning at the same rate as students in "better" schools.  It starts at home, with discipline, respect, and a sense that education is truly the key to their dreams...
Education does not start at home. It starts with the motivation of the student and his/her willingness to learn and succeed. My parents barley asked me about school because they knew that I had things under control. As well as my friends, parents were not a huge factor in their life and they are now at 4 year universities and state schools. Everything in life has to do with the student./
Wait...you mean the 8 year old 2nd grader?  You think that when you were 8 years old you went to school and sat down and said to yourself, "Man I better listen up cause I want to go to a 4 year university!"  Or the 13 year old 7th grader?

The problem is systemic.  It's not like all these kids get to high school and just lose all motivation (sometimes, maybe).  Most dropouts, I suspect, do so because they are lost at school and truly don't see how showing up everyday will help.  We're talking about profound issues.  Kids not being able to read or do basic math.  10th grade students at a 6th grade level.  Can you imagine getting a respectable SAT score with a 6th grade math level?  I had a student this summer who didn't know the alphabet!  He couldn't spell his own name.

Education does start at home.  It starts with building value in education.  It may seem innate but it's because of how you're raised.
Dude I am not talking about 2nd or 8th graders. This thread is about HIGH SCHOOL students. Obviously a 2nd grade student is not going to give two $h&%s about school

To you graduating high school is a low bar, but to plenty of Black people that is a huge accomplishment, especially if you're one of the first in your family to do it.
Context is everything but we all grow up knowing what not graduating from high school usually means, and if few people in your family have done it you know even better what the consequences are. It's not even a race thing. My parents both grew up poor, and my dad was the first person in his family to go to college (my mom didn't go, but would have been). He didn't know what the hell he was doing but he knew it was better than working odd jobs and living paycheck to paycheck like his dad. It's a lot easier to slip when you don't have people keeping you in check but anyone can find motivation just by looking around them.

To you graduating high school is a low bar, but to plenty of Black people that is a huge accomplishment, especially if you're one of the first in your family to do it.
Context is everything but we all grow up knowing what not graduating from high school usually means, and if few people in your family have done it you know even better what the consequences are. It's not even a race thing. My parents both grew up poor, and my dad was the first person in his family to go to college (my mom didn't go, but would have been). He didn't know what the hell he was doing but he knew it was better than working odd jobs and living paycheck to paycheck like his dad. It's a lot easier to slip when you don't have people keeping you in check but anyone can find motivation just by looking around them.

Because ONLY Black people are able to see the problems in communities and the educational system or point out how they affect Black youth?  Really?
laugh.gif

smh.gif

man i kid
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

GucciMane I'm Black, Nigerian born, and New York City area raised.  I just think it's stupid to try to claim an exclusive right to thinking about a problem that every single person in this country should be concerned about.

my mom is from Benin
pimp.gif
im saying because a lot of non black people on here use "threads about black people" to say @+$ they'd never have the balls to say to a black person fade to face.

laugh.gif

smh.gif

man i kid
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

my mom is from Benin
pimp.gif
im saying because a lot of non black people on here use "threads about black people" to say @+$ they'd never have the balls to say to a black person fade to face.

Back
Top Bottom