Only 47% Percent Of African American Males Graduate Highschool

- Masterman in the house!

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by LetItShine24

Originally Posted by vq35dett

I'm an 8th grade teacher in a very large urban school district and, while I always take statistics with a grain of salt, the overall state of education in this country sucks and a ton of kids are dropping out or aren't finishing in time.  Even if a lot of these kids graduate, they aren't prepared for college (whether they get in or not).  A high school diploma in this country really isn't doing as much as it used to do.  We need to work harder to get kids into (and OUT OF) college.  It's a very very long road.

Education starts at home though.  Parents have to work hard and do everything they can to ensure that their children are getting everything they can out of school.  Honestly, my school is labeled as high needs and persistently dangerous, but all of the teachers come to work everyday and try very hard to do a good job.  The things we must overcome at school truly prevent most of the children from learning at the same rate as students in "better" schools.  It starts at home, with discipline, respect, and a sense that education is truly the key to their dreams...
Education does not start at home. It starts with the motivation of the student and his/her willingness to learn and succeed. My parents barley asked me about school because they knew that I had things under control. As well as my friends, parents were not a huge factor in their life and they are now at 4 year universities and state schools. Everything in life has to do with the student./
Wait...you mean the 8 year old 2nd grader?  You think that when you were 8 years old you went to school and sat down and said to yourself, "Man I better listen up cause I want to go to a 4 year university!"  Or the 13 year old 7th grader?

The problem is systemic.  It's not like all these kids get to high school and just lose all motivation (sometimes, maybe).  Most dropouts, I suspect, do so because they are lost at school and truly don't see how showing up everyday will help.  We're talking about profound issues.  Kids not being able to read or do basic math.  10th grade students at a 6th grade level.  Can you imagine getting a respectable SAT score with a 6th grade math level?  I had a student this summer who didn't know the alphabet!  He couldn't spell his own name.

Education does start at home.  It starts with building value in education.  It may seem innate but it's because of how you're raised.
Dude I am not talking about 2nd or 8th graders. This thread is about HIGH SCHOOL students. Obviously a 2nd grade student is not going to give two $h&%s about school
Exactly!  You proved my point.  Education is a lifelong process though.  You said that you knew what to do when you got to high school, but you didn't just magically learn that on your own.  You had some sort of support and guidance along the way (throughout elementary and middle school) and understood the value of education when you walked into high school.  The problem is that so many kids, especially in urban schools, aren't getting these inherent lessons along the way. 

Most urban children have terrible experiences in elementary and middle school.  They have teachers that quit left and right.  Our neighborhoods are already transient enough, when you couple this with transient teachers and administrators, you have a neighborhood but no real community to sustain any sort of learning.  They may have diagnosed, misdiagnosed, or undiagnosed learning disabilities.  With no SPED teachers, how are these students being accommodated (federal infraction).  All there is in these schools is violence and the threat of violence.  The level of instruction, even by truly high quality instructors, is very low.  This is not only due to behavior issues (although this is a huge problem), it is also due to flawed curricula and poor administration. 

Yes, we have our students who go to Masterman, Central, Girls, Palumbo, SLA, etc. etc. but these are the minority.  I want my students who go to Southern or Audenreid or even Bok type schools to have some fighting chance of going to college.  Honestly, at this point, many of those students will drop out and not graduate high school.

Sorry for bringing the Philly aspect into this thread so strongly, but all these posts about Philly schools allows me to be more specific.

I'm an 8th grade teacher in a very large urban school district and, while I always take statistics with a grain of salt, the overall state of education in this country sucks and a ton of kids are dropping out or aren't finishing in time.  Even if a lot of these kids graduate, they aren't prepared for college (whether they get in or not).  A high school diploma in this country really isn't doing as much as it used to do.  We need to work harder to get kids into (and OUT OF) college.  It's a very very long road.

Education starts at home though.  Parents have to work hard and do everything they can to ensure that their children are getting everything they can out of school.  Honestly, my school is labeled as high needs and persistently dangerous, but all of the teachers come to work everyday and try very hard to do a good job.  The things we must overcome at school truly prevent most of the children from learning at the same rate as students in "better" schools.  It starts at home, with discipline, respect, and a sense that education is truly the key to their dreams...
Education does not start at home. It starts with the motivation of the student and his/her willingness to learn and succeed. My parents barley asked me about school because they knew that I had things under control. As well as my friends, parents were not a huge factor in their life and they are now at 4 year universities and state schools. Everything in life has to do with the student./
Wait...you mean the 8 year old 2nd grader?  You think that when you were 8 years old you went to school and sat down and said to yourself, "Man I better listen up cause I want to go to a 4 year university!"  Or the 13 year old 7th grader?

The problem is systemic.  It's not like all these kids get to high school and just lose all motivation (sometimes, maybe).  Most dropouts, I suspect, do so because they are lost at school and truly don't see how showing up everyday will help.  We're talking about profound issues.  Kids not being able to read or do basic math.  10th grade students at a 6th grade level.  Can you imagine getting a respectable SAT score with a 6th grade math level?  I had a student this summer who didn't know the alphabet!  He couldn't spell his own name.

Education does start at home.  It starts with building value in education.  It may seem innate but it's because of how you're raised.
Dude I am not talking about 2nd or 8th graders. This thread is about HIGH SCHOOL students. Obviously a 2nd grade student is not going to give two $h&%s about school
Exactly!  You proved my point.  Education is a lifelong process though.  You said that you knew what to do when you got to high school, but you didn't just magically learn that on your own.  You had some sort of support and guidance along the way (throughout elementary and middle school) and understood the value of education when you walked into high school.  The problem is that so many kids, especially in urban schools, aren't getting these inherent lessons along the way. 

Most urban children have terrible experiences in elementary and middle school.  They have teachers that quit left and right.  Our neighborhoods are already transient enough, when you couple this with transient teachers and administrators, you have a neighborhood but no real community to sustain any sort of learning.  They may have diagnosed, misdiagnosed, or undiagnosed learning disabilities.  With no SPED teachers, how are these students being accommodated (federal infraction).  All there is in these schools is violence and the threat of violence.  The level of instruction, even by truly high quality instructors, is very low.  This is not only due to behavior issues (although this is a huge problem), it is also due to flawed curricula and poor administration. 

Yes, we have our students who go to Masterman, Central, Girls, Palumbo, SLA, etc. etc. but these are the minority.  I want my students who go to Southern or Audenreid or even Bok type schools to have some fighting chance of going to college.  Honestly, at this point, many of those students will drop out and not graduate high school.

Sorry for bringing the Philly aspect into this thread so strongly, but all these posts about Philly schools allows me to be more specific.

Originally Posted by cguy610

I'll keep this short.

The stats are something I already knew. I just wish they would show exactly how poorly many of the schools are performing. So before you assume that these kids are lazy or whatever, take a look at the average scores on standardized tests like the SAT's for some of these schools in your area and think about what benefit a diploma is from a school in which the average SAT score is a 700. And that is the average score, which is higher than it really should be because the struggling students are dropping out instead of taking the SAT and being included in that SAT score pool.

Then there is a major issue with the curriculum.  The students at these underperforming schools don't have the same chance to go to college, therefore a college based curriculum is a major waste of time.  These students need to be prepared to go into some type of vocational job/trade right out of high school.  However, these schools are trying to teach a college based curriculum when their average SAT score is a 600.  They are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. 

I understand your point, but what you're essentially saying is that because these kids/schools have traditionally underperformed then we should lower our expectations and make high school graduation the goal instead of aspiring for college and beyond.

In a climate where it's a fact the majority of people can not and will not get a job without a bachelors degree, let alone a postgraduate degree (as is becoming the necessity just to earn enough at your job to support a full family) why would we make the focus teaching kids vocational skills?

I understand the concept of "baby steps" and wanting these kids to just be productive members of society but IT'S NOT ENOUGH.  Taking that route within the next several years graduation rates would definitely be up but all the children will be prepared for is the blue collar workforce (where frankly there are close to zero jobs as is.)  Meanwhile middle to upper class children will continue to make strides, making the divide between the classes (and unfortunately, but honestly, the races) even greater.

I'll keep this short.

The stats are something I already knew. I just wish they would show exactly how poorly many of the schools are performing. So before you assume that these kids are lazy or whatever, take a look at the average scores on standardized tests like the SAT's for some of these schools in your area and think about what benefit a diploma is from a school in which the average SAT score is a 700. And that is the average score, which is higher than it really should be because the struggling students are dropping out instead of taking the SAT and being included in that SAT score pool.

Then there is a major issue with the curriculum.  The students at these underperforming schools don't have the same chance to go to college, therefore a college based curriculum is a major waste of time.  These students need to be prepared to go into some type of vocational job/trade right out of high school.  However, these schools are trying to teach a college based curriculum when their average SAT score is a 600.  They are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. 

I understand your point, but what you're essentially saying is that because these kids/schools have traditionally underperformed then we should lower our expectations and make high school graduation the goal instead of aspiring for college and beyond.

In a climate where it's a fact the majority of people can not and will not get a job without a bachelors degree, let alone a postgraduate degree (as is becoming the necessity just to earn enough at your job to support a full family) why would we make the focus teaching kids vocational skills?

I understand the concept of "baby steps" and wanting these kids to just be productive members of society but IT'S NOT ENOUGH.  Taking that route within the next several years graduation rates would definitely be up but all the children will be prepared for is the blue collar workforce (where frankly there are close to zero jobs as is.)  Meanwhile middle to upper class children will continue to make strides, making the divide between the classes (and unfortunately, but honestly, the races) even greater.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

Standardized tests are inherently flawed. I will explain more in depth later.

because learning disabilities aside, all they really test is a childs economic means and ability to prepare.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

Standardized tests are inherently flawed. I will explain more in depth later.

because learning disabilities aside, all they really test is a childs economic means and ability to prepare.

Originally Posted by WISEPHAROAH

My biggest problem with my people is that we can identify issues and the issues can be thrown in our face yet we still don't even attempt to band together and reach out.I talk to brothers all the time about living right and the responsibility that we have yet it seems only females are on the ball. Women are more concerned about our plight than we are. For me it goes beyond school but the general lack of how intelligence is respected in our culture. We we begin to assimilate unity and respect for each other and being intelligent the educational aspect will fall in place. This sounds cliche but we also don't have any one in the spotlight that's really letting their nuts hang and keeping it real. Its like everyone is either afraid or not concerned that's in positions of power. The black man in America doesn't have enough pull to not have some form of leadership.

First off, stop saying your people. The more blacks try to separate themselves as an entity in this country the more they wont ever fit in. Just do well as an individual, see everyone as your competition not just non blacks. Im black and i could care less how the media portrays blacks or how some blacks portray themselves. I wont let that speak for me, Im an American like everyone else and dont need to be seen differently.As for blacks not graduating hs, parenting is the strong factor. That goes for everyone regardless of color. If parents dont show children a sensebof importance toward basic education or obtain it themselves, why would a child be motivated. Hell i didnt even like vegetables until they forced me to eat it. There are always some who made it without parents but not everyone has the capability to be self motivated, and some have to support themselvees financially and cant afford to go to school.

Originally Posted by WISEPHAROAH

My biggest problem with my people is that we can identify issues and the issues can be thrown in our face yet we still don't even attempt to band together and reach out.I talk to brothers all the time about living right and the responsibility that we have yet it seems only females are on the ball. Women are more concerned about our plight than we are. For me it goes beyond school but the general lack of how intelligence is respected in our culture. We we begin to assimilate unity and respect for each other and being intelligent the educational aspect will fall in place. This sounds cliche but we also don't have any one in the spotlight that's really letting their nuts hang and keeping it real. Its like everyone is either afraid or not concerned that's in positions of power. The black man in America doesn't have enough pull to not have some form of leadership.

First off, stop saying your people. The more blacks try to separate themselves as an entity in this country the more they wont ever fit in. Just do well as an individual, see everyone as your competition not just non blacks. Im black and i could care less how the media portrays blacks or how some blacks portray themselves. I wont let that speak for me, Im an American like everyone else and dont need to be seen differently.As for blacks not graduating hs, parenting is the strong factor. That goes for everyone regardless of color. If parents dont show children a sensebof importance toward basic education or obtain it themselves, why would a child be motivated. Hell i didnt even like vegetables until they forced me to eat it. There are always some who made it without parents but not everyone has the capability to be self motivated, and some have to support themselvees financially and cant afford to go to school.

Originally Posted by rashi

Blaming low graduation rates on a single parent home is such a lame excuse and an easy cop out.

it might not the sole reason but it does play a role. I assume you were raised by both your parents.

Blaming low graduation rates on a single parent home is such a lame excuse and an easy cop out.

it might not the sole reason but it does play a role. I assume you were raised by both your parents.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

I'll keep this short.

How can college be the goal when the school isn't capable of getting them on a college reading and math level? 

They need to be productive members of society.  I wouldn't call it 0 jobs in the blue collar workforce.  There definitely are less jobs though.  People can be productive members of society as electricians, plumbers, carpenters, auto mechanics, etc.  Not only does this make them at least productive members of society, it keeps them out of jail and away from drugs.

The middle class hasn't and isn't making strides, the middle class is shrinking and becoming the poor class.  This is a country in which the divide between rich and poor is the greatest it's ever been.  

This whole movement towards getting a Masters degree/Ph.D or nothing is taking our country in the wrong direction.  Not everybody is fit or wants to go to school for 25 years or so.  There's jobs and money right there in the community, however, many people allow others to MISEDUCATE them into this whole "college or nothing" movement while outsiders come in and open up shop in your community and take your money out of the community. 

Originally Posted by Nako XL

I'll keep this short.

How can college be the goal when the school isn't capable of getting them on a college reading and math level? 

They need to be productive members of society.  I wouldn't call it 0 jobs in the blue collar workforce.  There definitely are less jobs though.  People can be productive members of society as electricians, plumbers, carpenters, auto mechanics, etc.  Not only does this make them at least productive members of society, it keeps them out of jail and away from drugs.

The middle class hasn't and isn't making strides, the middle class is shrinking and becoming the poor class.  This is a country in which the divide between rich and poor is the greatest it's ever been.  

This whole movement towards getting a Masters degree/Ph.D or nothing is taking our country in the wrong direction.  Not everybody is fit or wants to go to school for 25 years or so.  There's jobs and money right there in the community, however, many people allow others to MISEDUCATE them into this whole "college or nothing" movement while outsiders come in and open up shop in your community and take your money out of the community. 

Originally Posted by Gucci Mane

Your assumption is wrong. The reason why I can say it's a lame excuse is because the kids in low economic areas in Baltimore were getting vouchers and scholarships to attend high profile private schools in D.C. did exponentially better as far as grades, test scores, and even in self confidence. So it isn't a lack of a father figure being around.

Your assumption is wrong. The reason why I can say it's a lame excuse is because the kids in low economic areas in Baltimore were getting vouchers and scholarships to attend high profile private schools in D.C. did exponentially better as far as grades, test scores, and even in self confidence. So it isn't a lack of a father figure being around.

Rashi....that's a small % and a SELECT # of students from Baltimore who do this.  And what I mean by "select" is that these kids were essentially hand-picked to attend these private schools.  Those kids are the exception.  These private schools that want kids from the inner-city go through an extensive process as far as admission.  It's nice for them to have diversity in their hallways, but let's be real....the kids they accept have a TON of potential.  They are not the 17 year old freshman...they are not the kids who show that they can't contribute to society in a positive manner, etc....

Rashi....that's a small % and a SELECT # of students from Baltimore who do this.  And what I mean by "select" is that these kids were essentially hand-picked to attend these private schools.  Those kids are the exception.  These private schools that want kids from the inner-city go through an extensive process as far as admission.  It's nice for them to have diversity in their hallways, but let's be real....the kids they accept have a TON of potential.  They are not the 17 year old freshman...they are not the kids who show that they can't contribute to society in a positive manner, etc....

So a strong male presence at home(father usually) would make no difference at all? And the kids who do get vouchers, do well because they have a better environment where they can learn. Im saying being raised in a single parent home is a factor that contributes to the situation. Im not saying its the sole reason.

So a strong male presence at home(father usually) would make no difference at all? And the kids who do get vouchers, do well because they have a better environment where they can learn. Im saying being raised in a single parent home is a factor that contributes to the situation. Im not saying its the sole reason.

i know plenty of folks who didnt graduate... $!%# is sad...

folks who can barely read (im talkin like 3rd grade level)...

the $!%# is out here and its serious but i mean... not like its cuz they're black... its cuz they have !*$!$$ parents...

i know plenty of folks who didnt graduate... $!%# is sad...

folks who can barely read (im talkin like 3rd grade level)...

the $!%# is out here and its serious but i mean... not like its cuz they're black... its cuz they have !*$!$$ parents...

environment is key. if they,the students, feel the school and teachers suck at giving instruction coming home to a parent with less than a HS diploma only makes the matter worst. And many times children come home (say 4-
glasses.gif
to empty households and that is prime learning hours post school

that is not say during 4-8 that kid couldnt struggle with the material until they got it (some kids give up too easy ),ask a teacher to stay afterschool, hit up a cousin,etc etc.
grin.gif

environment is key. if they,the students, feel the school and teachers suck at giving instruction coming home to a parent with less than a HS diploma only makes the matter worst. And many times children come home (say 4-
glasses.gif
to empty households and that is prime learning hours post school

that is not say during 4-8 that kid couldnt struggle with the material until they got it (some kids give up too easy ),ask a teacher to stay afterschool, hit up a cousin,etc etc.
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom