Only 47% Percent Of African American Males Graduate Highschool

some of the smartest black dudes i know are africans, yall dudes got parents like them strict japanese huh?

other observations.............a lot of them swear they be stylin

some of the smartest black dudes i know are africans, yall dudes got parents like them strict japanese huh?

other observations.............a lot of them swear they be stylin

Originally Posted by vq35dett

I'm an 8th grade teacher in a very large urban school district and, while I always take statistics with a grain of salt, the overall state of education in this country sucks and a ton of kids are dropping out or aren't finishing in time.  Even if a lot of these kids graduate, they aren't prepared for college (whether they get in or not).  A high school diploma in this country really isn't doing as much as it used to do.  We need to work harder to get kids into (and OUT OF) college.  It's a very very long road.

Education starts at home though.  Parents have to work hard and do everything they can to ensure that their children are getting everything they can out of school.  Honestly, my school is labeled as high needs and persistently dangerous, but all of the teachers come to work everyday and try very hard to do a good job.  The things we must overcome at school truly prevent most of the children from learning at the same rate as students in "better" schools.  It starts at home, with discipline, respect, and a sense that education is truly the key to their dreams...
Education does not start at home. It starts with the motivation of the student and his/her willingness to learn and succeed. My parents barley asked me about school because they knew that I had things under control. As well as my friends, parents were not a huge factor in their life and they are now at 4 year universities and state schools. Everything in life has to do with the student./

I'm an 8th grade teacher in a very large urban school district and, while I always take statistics with a grain of salt, the overall state of education in this country sucks and a ton of kids are dropping out or aren't finishing in time.  Even if a lot of these kids graduate, they aren't prepared for college (whether they get in or not).  A high school diploma in this country really isn't doing as much as it used to do.  We need to work harder to get kids into (and OUT OF) college.  It's a very very long road.

Education starts at home though.  Parents have to work hard and do everything they can to ensure that their children are getting everything they can out of school.  Honestly, my school is labeled as high needs and persistently dangerous, but all of the teachers come to work everyday and try very hard to do a good job.  The things we must overcome at school truly prevent most of the children from learning at the same rate as students in "better" schools.  It starts at home, with discipline, respect, and a sense that education is truly the key to their dreams...
Education does not start at home. It starts with the motivation of the student and his/her willingness to learn and succeed. My parents barley asked me about school because they knew that I had things under control. As well as my friends, parents were not a huge factor in their life and they are now at 4 year universities and state schools. Everything in life has to do with the student./

Originally Posted by LetItShine24

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

ehh don't feel bad or not surprised. Everyone has their own responsibility to do well. Everyone has the opportunity to do great things

i hate when people say this...

do some of you realize there are kids who go to school just to eat? and i'm not just talking black kids. Look at the Wire, Wallace was taking care of his younger siblings getting them to school, Mike the same thing. Dookie or whatever didnt have @+@*.  Thats the most extreme but there are many kids living like that.

I watched a doc. on some minning town in I think WV and it was a town full of white people but there stories were the same.  Kids taking care of their siblings. Going to school just to get the free/reduce breakfast and lunch.  Of course there are kids who make it out of those situations and kudos to them but I also think its kinda cold hearted to just say "if x can do it so can y".

I volunteer out here at the B&GC and some of these kids just get so angry and frustrated when you ask them to read a sentence b/c they can't read well and they get picked on for it. Then they are diagnosed with anger problems and other things when really from what I've seen they just need someone to sit down and take their time with them. 

To say a CHILD has their own repsonsibility to do well is just stupid IMO.  Most (not all) of us got where we are cuz we had some type of support system.  Some kids don't have that PROPER support system and they fall through the cracks and thats just really sad.

I never knew a high school student was considered a child. A high school student might as well be an adult. High School is one of the easiest things I have ever accomplished and this is coming from a student who might of showed up 20 times during the course of his senior year. I passed however, with a low gpa ( 2.9) of course. High school students have all the resources they need to pass class. It is solely up to them if they want to pass or not.

did you not hear the part where only 9% of 8th graders are on an 8th grade reading level? 9 #++%+!# percent! i was on a post HS reading level at the time and i only know that cuz of our accelerated reader program in MS based on your reading level you were required to read books different from those on a level below you...so you expect kids who can't even read to magically take control of their lives when they enter HS at 15? the problem starts long before HS...ever hear of the school-prison pipeline? they take 3rd grade test scores to determine how many prisons to build...you're what? 8 or 9 in 3rd grade? so you have kids (cuz no matter the age they are kids) in HS who are probably just getting to the 8th grade reading level in 10th and 11th grade...

i refuse to believe you only showed up 20 times your senior year
laugh.gif
 gonna need to see records on that one homie
and i dont care how mature you were in HS look at where you are now and most will realize they weren't nearly as adult as they thought they were just cuz they were 18

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

ehh don't feel bad or not surprised. Everyone has their own responsibility to do well. Everyone has the opportunity to do great things

i hate when people say this...

do some of you realize there are kids who go to school just to eat? and i'm not just talking black kids. Look at the Wire, Wallace was taking care of his younger siblings getting them to school, Mike the same thing. Dookie or whatever didnt have @+@*.  Thats the most extreme but there are many kids living like that.

I watched a doc. on some minning town in I think WV and it was a town full of white people but there stories were the same.  Kids taking care of their siblings. Going to school just to get the free/reduce breakfast and lunch.  Of course there are kids who make it out of those situations and kudos to them but I also think its kinda cold hearted to just say "if x can do it so can y".

I volunteer out here at the B&GC and some of these kids just get so angry and frustrated when you ask them to read a sentence b/c they can't read well and they get picked on for it. Then they are diagnosed with anger problems and other things when really from what I've seen they just need someone to sit down and take their time with them. 

To say a CHILD has their own repsonsibility to do well is just stupid IMO.  Most (not all) of us got where we are cuz we had some type of support system.  Some kids don't have that PROPER support system and they fall through the cracks and thats just really sad.

I never knew a high school student was considered a child. A high school student might as well be an adult. High School is one of the easiest things I have ever accomplished and this is coming from a student who might of showed up 20 times during the course of his senior year. I passed however, with a low gpa ( 2.9) of course. High school students have all the resources they need to pass class. It is solely up to them if they want to pass or not.

did you not hear the part where only 9% of 8th graders are on an 8th grade reading level? 9 #++%+!# percent! i was on a post HS reading level at the time and i only know that cuz of our accelerated reader program in MS based on your reading level you were required to read books different from those on a level below you...so you expect kids who can't even read to magically take control of their lives when they enter HS at 15? the problem starts long before HS...ever hear of the school-prison pipeline? they take 3rd grade test scores to determine how many prisons to build...you're what? 8 or 9 in 3rd grade? so you have kids (cuz no matter the age they are kids) in HS who are probably just getting to the 8th grade reading level in 10th and 11th grade...

i refuse to believe you only showed up 20 times your senior year
laugh.gif
 gonna need to see records on that one homie
and i dont care how mature you were in HS look at where you are now and most will realize they weren't nearly as adult as they thought they were just cuz they were 18

Take a psyhchology class bro(letishine). Unless yout plastic, your enviroment corresponds with your actions.

Wait...you mean the 8 year old 2nd grader?  You think that when you were 8 years old you went to school and sat down and said to yourself, "Man I better listen up cause I want to go to a 4 year university!"  Or the 13 year old 7th grader?

The problem is systemic.  It's not like all these kids get to high school and just lose all motivation (sometimes, maybe).  Most dropouts, I suspect, do so because they are lost at school and truly don't see how showing up everyday will help.  We're talking about profound issues.  Kids not being able to read or do basic math.  10th grade students at a 6th grade level.  Can you imagine getting a respectable SAT score with a 6th grade math level?  I had a student this summer who didn't know the alphabet!  He couldn't spell his own name.

Education does start at home.  It starts with building value in education.  It may seem innate but it's because of how you're raised.

Take a psyhchology class bro(letishine). Unless yout plastic, your enviroment corresponds with your actions.

Wait...you mean the 8 year old 2nd grader?  You think that when you were 8 years old you went to school and sat down and said to yourself, "Man I better listen up cause I want to go to a 4 year university!"  Or the 13 year old 7th grader?

The problem is systemic.  It's not like all these kids get to high school and just lose all motivation (sometimes, maybe).  Most dropouts, I suspect, do so because they are lost at school and truly don't see how showing up everyday will help.  We're talking about profound issues.  Kids not being able to read or do basic math.  10th grade students at a 6th grade level.  Can you imagine getting a respectable SAT score with a 6th grade math level?  I had a student this summer who didn't know the alphabet!  He couldn't spell his own name.

Education does start at home.  It starts with building value in education.  It may seem innate but it's because of how you're raised.

i just try and go back to my high school when i can. show them lil dudes the difference between my life and joe skip class now that high school is in the past.

i just try and go back to my high school when i can. show them lil dudes the difference between my life and joe skip class now that high school is in the past.

If everyone was self motivated, we'd all be rich. That obviously isn't the case, the majority of us need help. Self motivated people are the minority in this country. Education starts at home, and then grows with the willingness of the student. It's easy to say "look, I did it, everyone should be able to", but that isn't the case.

It's hard to do right when everyone around you is doing wrong. Bucking the trend is damn near impossible when you're only examples of the "good life" are on the tv.

If everyone was self motivated, we'd all be rich. That obviously isn't the case, the majority of us need help. Self motivated people are the minority in this country. Education starts at home, and then grows with the willingness of the student. It's easy to say "look, I did it, everyone should be able to", but that isn't the case.

It's hard to do right when everyone around you is doing wrong. Bucking the trend is damn near impossible when you're only examples of the "good life" are on the tv.

As far as graduating "on time" that can be something out of your control, depending on your backround. But you do have control over whether you get a diploma at all, even if you have to get your GED at 30 years old. In this country, ANYONE can be successful if they make the right decisions. It's weird hearing people saying how hard it is to make it out of the projects, considering my mother and all 7 of her siblings made it out with no issues. I'm sure it wasn't a cake walk, but it wasn't impossible like a lot of these cats act like it is now. Even though my grandmother was on welfare, they made due with what they had, went to school and when they graduated high school they all worked. Some of them worked their way through college, some of them didn't, but none of them ended up in the PJ's because they all made sound choices.

Really though, a huge piece of having the opportunity to succeed is safe sex or abstinence. When you don't have kids, you have numerous opportunities to build yourself up. Once you pop out a kid or two, your situation is completely effed up. You have to make 2X or 3X the amount you would as a single person to not be in poverty.

As far as graduating "on time" that can be something out of your control, depending on your backround. But you do have control over whether you get a diploma at all, even if you have to get your GED at 30 years old. In this country, ANYONE can be successful if they make the right decisions. It's weird hearing people saying how hard it is to make it out of the projects, considering my mother and all 7 of her siblings made it out with no issues. I'm sure it wasn't a cake walk, but it wasn't impossible like a lot of these cats act like it is now. Even though my grandmother was on welfare, they made due with what they had, went to school and when they graduated high school they all worked. Some of them worked their way through college, some of them didn't, but none of them ended up in the PJ's because they all made sound choices.

Really though, a huge piece of having the opportunity to succeed is safe sex or abstinence. When you don't have kids, you have numerous opportunities to build yourself up. Once you pop out a kid or two, your situation is completely effed up. You have to make 2X or 3X the amount you would as a single person to not be in poverty.

You know what's ironic about these black race threads. The first people to say open your eyes to the effects of institutional and evironmental racism in America are always the first ones to be like "You can't be posting negative stats about how black people are struggling. Especially if you not black". We can't solve these issues if we continue to brush them under the rug.

The denial in the black community is profound.

You know what's ironic about these black race threads. The first people to say open your eyes to the effects of institutional and evironmental racism in America are always the first ones to be like "You can't be posting negative stats about how black people are struggling. Especially if you not black". We can't solve these issues if we continue to brush them under the rug.

The denial in the black community is profound.

High School is one of the easiest things I have ever accomplished and this is coming from a student who might of showed up 20 times during the course of his senior year. I passed however, with a low gpa ( 2.9) of course.
My parents barley asked me about school because they knew that I had things under control.
I think your stance on this matter is flawed.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by Al Audi

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by Al Audi

NAKO if you aint black you got no reason to put your 2 cents in

Because ONLY Black people are able to see the problems in communities and the educational system or point out how they affect Black youth?  Really?
laugh.gif

smh.gif

i thought you would get the sarcasm right away.

man i kid
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I wasn't sure if you were joking so I went with the safe defensive answer.

GucciMane I'm Black, Nigerian born, and New York City area raised.  I just think it's stupid to try to claim an exclusive right to thinking about a problem that every single person in this country should be concerned about.

Waits for him to say you can't comment on the plight of African Americans because your great great great grandparents weren't slaves.
ohwell.gif

High School is one of the easiest things I have ever accomplished and this is coming from a student who might of showed up 20 times during the course of his senior year. I passed however, with a low gpa ( 2.9) of course.
My parents barley asked me about school because they knew that I had things under control.
I think your stance on this matter is flawed.

Back
Top Bottom