Open gym basketball in the W/SW Chicago suburbs?

I used to live and breath basketball. I was obsessed with the sport. Long story, but some health problems have put me out of it for the better part of adecade now. However, just before the good weather ended here in the Chicagoland area, I got in 3 Saturdays worth of shooting around, including a very painfulattempt at a comeback on the first Saturday (went from not having played a real game in 7 or 8 years, to playing 5 or 6 in one day, and MAN did my knees notappreciate that, and neither did my legs, back, and any other muscle for the next week).

Anyhow, I'm VERY hungry to get back into condition and get my game back, and that's only going to happen if I'm consistent with it. Unfortunately,I'm having a hell of a time finding open gyms anywhere around here anymore. I used to play 3 times a week at the open gyms the Naperville Park Districtused to hold (at elementary schools with carpeted floors
sick.gif
; so much forbeing a rich, stuck-up town), but those seem to be a thing of the past. I figured this was going to be the case, as I've noticed the outdoor basketballcourts are like barren wastelands the last few years. It seems no one plays bball around here anymore.

Does anyone know of any open gyms in the W/SW suburbs of Chicago? I really want to get back to playing.
frown.gif

Us ballers play at lifetime fitness, warrenville for me. haha

looks like you'll probably need to get a membership to somewhere either x-sport or lifetime. but next time post in regionals.

Yeah, I was kinda' hoping to avoid having to get a gym membership. Right now, I'm at Planet Fitness for $10/month, and I'd rather not up that to$50+ just to have access to a basketball court, though I may not have a choice. There used to be so many open gyms around here. I guess bball is a dyingsport.
frown.gif

As for where to post this, I wasn't sure if it belonged in the "Regional" forum because I thought that was more for member meet-ups/events, orshoe spots, etc. Mods, please move if this isn't the right spot.

Trying calling or seaching Chicago Park Districts and find out when or if they have open gyms.....

I'm about an hour away from Chicago, so that would be a no go for me. I'm looking more for the Naperville, Lisle, Warrenville, Downers Grove, GlenEllyn, etc. area. I tried doing an online search for those park districts, and the only thing for open gym on most of them are for kids, or are non-basketballrelated.

I hear Warrenville LTF is the place to play. I heard Romeoville is poo poo

Yeah, I caved in and got a membership at the LTF in Warrenville on New Year's Eve (I was a member there many years ago, up until I got really ill; in fact,that's WHERE I started getting ill). They were waiving the enrollment fee as the December special, which pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Already been in twice last week, and once this week (will most likely be going tomorrow night, as well). I keep trying to go too long too soon, and end upbeing too sore to go back for the next few days. Sunday was the worst. I went in at 8:30 PM just intending to shoot around, which I did for about an hour,then ended up playing 3-on-3 for 3 games or so (about an hour), then we WERE going to play 4-on-4 on the other court, but the guys figured we had enough to run5-on-5 full court, which I turned down twice at first, because I knew there was no way in hell I was going to last more than 2 or 3 minutes after an 8 yearlay-off, not to mention already being there for 2 hours. Couple guys kept egging me on, so I caved in. Played 2 games (1st one lasted forever, becauseapparently, no one was keeping score LOL), AND, somehow I got talked into another 2 or 3 3-on-3 games after a bunch of the full court guys left. FINALLYcalled it a day around 12:30 in the morning. Mother of god, I was (and still am) in pain!! Not to mention frustrated as hell with finding all the weaknessesin the defense, or knowing how easily I could have stolen the ball from the guys I was gaurding, but not being able to physically do anything about it due tobeing in such horrible condition. It's going to be a very long, slow comeback.
frown.gif

Anyway, I'm actually impressed with the basketball turnouts at the gym. I usually don't get there till after 10, and there's been at least 1, ifnot 2 full court games going, even that late! I think I'll be in heaven.......once I get around feeling like a 90 year old.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom