Penny 5 Retro

Screenshot_20200122-002610.png

IMG_20200122_072807.jpg

blue-chips-basketball-movie-lead.jpg
61ZNTTlNIBL.jpg

The Nike Air Penny 5 “Blue Chips” Set To Return On Film’s 26th Anniversary
January 22, 2020 by Jovani Hernandez

Over the past few years, we’ve seen an increased frequency of footwear brands nodding to sneakers with cultural tie-ins from films and television. The Swoosh is doing something similar as it will bring back the Nike Air Penny 5 to the market in a blue-and-yellow outfit inspired by the 1994 film Blue Chips. Borrowing the colors of the fictional Western University Dolphins, the oft-overshadowed silhouette dons the “Bright Blue” hue across its entire leather, mesh, and Foamposite-constructed uppers. Lateral side swoosh branding, as well as “1 Cent” logos on the tongue, heel, and outsole, get treated to the Dolphin’s other signature color: yellow. While none of the movie’s stars – which included Shaquille O’Neal and Anfernee “Penny”Hardaway – wore the Air Penny 5, the performance-ready model may give modern hoopers equally impressive abilities with its Phylon midsoles and Air units at the forefoot and heel.

If you’re interested in grabbing a pair, these sneakers are dropping on February 18th – Blue Chips’ 26th Anniversary – at retailers like Finish Line. Until then, grab a quick look at the shoes here below and then go (re)watch the film.

Last edited:
Didn’t know there was even a demand for a retro of the Penny 5?? Who the hell is In charge over @ NSW???? Gentry would’ve at least gave us another round of the 2.

Last edited:
Yeah, the news of these is totally random. That being said, I'd cop the Orlando colors of these to complete my Penny set if they released. I might cop these 5s on disco though

From what I read on Sneakerbar Detroit Nike is re-releasing these because it's the 26th anniversary of the movie Blue Chips. It would have made more sense to release these last year since it would have been the 25th anniversary of the movie, this just seems so random.

These hit Marshalls / Ross for $39.99, that’s how I got my wht/blue pair. Doubt Nike will bring these back so soon.
The Atlantics went on deep discount, same with the All-Star. But the black away colorway sold out in stores mostly, at least in my area.

The Atlantics went on deep discount, same with the All-Star. But the black away colorway sold out in stores mostly, at least in my area.

I saw a few of the black pairs as well but they were scattered sizes. Not the fsr I saw of the other ones. Sucks because the black ones are my favorite.

Remember the white and royal colorway, that appeared in the background of other pics, looked like the Penny 2..... they should've released those.

Back
Top Bottom