Pickup basketball stereotypes.

I used to coach with a dude that moved back to France to coach and he said there are mandatory classes and content based assessments that have to be taken by anyone looking to be a certified coach.

So I think things can be done to ensure the right folks are in front of these children.
It's a different system overseas.

Promising kids enter legit sports academies separate from the regular education system, where their time is split between learning the game and regular education. They have competitions at the neighborhood level, where the academy kids get noticed and recruited. The entire structure is overseen by the government (ministry of sports), and that's the agency that also establishes coaching credentials, which are usually in line with the national/continental/international basketball regulatory bodies.

“It is country-wide that the professional club youth academies or federal youth development centers develop and train such players.” As the fulcrum of France’s population, Paris naturally houses many basketball institutions and eventual professional players. But it is not merely quantity that has allowed Paris to dominate the French basketball scene, as the city’s most notable training ground, INSEP (or France’s national sports school), has developed 16 NBA players alone.

We don't have that kind of structure here at the amateur level, and without it or an equivalent system, you can't easily oversee and certify coaches.

Played back last decade with an older dude who would shoot 3s like that and make half of em. People who didn't know what to expect would let him get the shot off and I'm like nah, go out there, he will make that :lol:

Last I saw him at a court a few years ago right after the pandemic relented, he was missing a bunch of teeth and looked like he was in the clutches of addiction. Hate to see it.

Back
Top Bottom