Planning NikeTalk Live 2018 - Las Vegas or New York?

Where should we host NikeTalk Live 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Methodical Management

Staff member
Co-Founder
Just about two years ago, we held out first official live meetup event, NikeTalk Live 2016, at Wikia's offices in San Francisco. Those unfamiliar with the event can check out the previous thread for details and reactions, but, in essence, our objective was to host a low key, invite-only hangout event for longtime community members. From the feedback the team received online and in person, everyone enjoyed the experience and we were blown away by the generosity of those who contributed to the event's charity auction. Several attendees traveled long distances to attend, including NikeTalk's founder, Nelson C, who flew in from Canada to host the event. Ever since, we've been hearing from people who attended, or wished they could've attended, the event who want to know when and where we'll be holding the next one.

full

full

retrokid.png

NikeTalk Live 2016

Last year, we had to focus our time and resources on saving the website from the collapse of our previous forum platform/partner, but I'm pleased to report that planning for NikeTalk Live 2018 has begun - and we'd love your input.

The most frequently requested changes to NikeTalk Live came from those who were unable to attend our last event:
  • The All Star Game created scheduling conflicts for those who wished to attend as fans or who were required to attend peripheral events as professionals.
  • The 2016 All Star Game coinciding with Valentine's Day created even more scheduling conflicts, for obvious reasons.
  • Not everyone could make it out to San Francisco - and it's a nightmare to park there, especially for those who needed to haul auction items, displays, or gear.

We're currently planning to hold NikeTalk Live 2018 in October, around the start of the NBA season. It's a great time for sports, it's a very active time for the sneaker industry, and, most importantly, it's not a busy travel time.

In order to build on the success of the previous event, we're leaning towards hosting the event in the Bay Area once again - but move it down the road to either Oakland or San Jose (hence the poll.) We know that many of you would prefer another destination, either closer to you (NY being a top request), or a more central location like Las Vegas that's easier to travel to. We absolutely want to hold NikeTalk Live events in other cities, but that's something we will likely need to work our way up to. (NikeTalk's 20th anniversary event, in 2019, would likely be held in a different city, for example.)

As we no longer work with Wikia, we will need to find a new venue for the event.

We're currently exploring options, and, if you're interested in attending, we'd love to hear your thoughts and preferences.

Rather than just plan the event with you in mind, we'd rather plan it with you, as a community.

Methodical Management Methodical Management i picked san jose
imo vegas wouldn't be a good spot
i mean i would have a blast in vegas if it was chosen
but what about our underage nters who would like to attend
i think that destination automatically disqualifies them to attend
like if i had a 15 year old who was on nt an wanted to attend
id let them attend san jose waaaaaaaay before vegas
and i wouldn't pick oakland
just cause i think the venues are limited
i kinda wanna throw this out there as well
say we have it in san jose
we could have it at dave and busters