Platanos Maduros (Fried Plantains)

First, they aren't exactly popular. It's not a common food you can get just anywhere. Only places that serve them are Hispanic, Caribbean, or African food joints and maybe a few Chinese spots in the hood lol. Second, this exactly what I'm talking about. This isn't some food special to Hispanics prepared in a special way. You prepare it the same as everyone else, you fry it and eat it. Yet ya'll be acting like you put the world up on game
eyes.gif
. Third, I don't live in the Bronx anymore genius. By the way it never phased me, just an observation I've had since I been eating plantains since I hopped up out the womb.

P.S. - I love spanish food. Pernil>>>*
Wow you must have really disliked your experience with Latinos in the Bronx
laugh.gif
. Its not that serious lil buddy. But if you're in NYC you ask people if they ever ate plantains 9 out of 10  would say its due to a Spanish restaurant of some sort. I'm from the Bronx too. I know my Jamaicans and Haitians eat it as well, you act like I said Hispanics created the damn thing
eyes.gif
Aint no one acting like I put the world up on anything, its a freaking platano we're talking bout. Sounds like you have issues with certain people was my first observation and apparently I was correct. UNO

First, they aren't exactly popular. It's not a common food you can get just anywhere. Only places that serve them are Hispanic, Caribbean, or African food joints and maybe a few Chinese spots in the hood lol. Second, this exactly what I'm talking about. This isn't some food special to Hispanics prepared in a special way. You prepare it the same as everyone else, you fry it and eat it. Yet ya'll be acting like you put the world up on game
eyes.gif
. Third, I don't live in the Bronx anymore genius. By the way it never phased me, just an observation I've had since I been eating plantains since I hopped up out the womb.

laugh.gif
. Its not that serious lil buddy. But if you're in NYC you ask people if they ever ate plantains 9 out of 10  would say its due to a Spanish restaurant of some sort. I'm from the Bronx too. I know my Jamaicans and Haitians eat it as well, you act like I said Hispanics created the damn thing
eyes.gif
Aint no one acting like I put the world up on anything, its a freaking platano we're talking bout. Sounds like you have issues with certain people was my first observation and apparently I was correct. UNO

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

West indians fry them in long strips or as chips like this:

plantain3.jpg

pretty damn good, but fattening.

The ones in the first pic are perfection....cooking them in long strips and slowly so they take up the oil makes them really sweet and tender.
This is what I grew up on...My fellow Jamaicans know whats up
pimp.gif

plantain3.jpg

The ones in the first pic are perfection....cooking them in long strips and slowly so they take up the oil makes them really sweet and tender.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by hotblizzard2003

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

try wrapping ripened ones in eggroll wrappers and frying them... you won't need to deep fry them.

Google: Turon
most classic turon recipes will say to add sugar before wrapping them.. personally, I don't like them that way...I like em plain, no sugar, but wrapped. It's a nice way to eat the sweet plantains, but have something to give it structure when you hold them.

here's a picture of Turon.

2wp3r89.jpg
yeah... see.. that's just way too much sugar in my book.   wrap it and fry it...that's it.
I was never a fan of turon with all that carmelized sugar.  Even worse when they put jackfruit in it.  blegh
sick.gif

Originally Posted by hotblizzard2003

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

try wrapping ripened ones in eggroll wrappers and frying them... you won't need to deep fry them.

Google: Turon
most classic turon recipes will say to add sugar before wrapping them.. personally, I don't like them that way...I like em plain, no sugar, but wrapped. It's a nice way to eat the sweet plantains, but have something to give it structure when you hold them.

here's a picture of Turon.

2wp3r89.jpg
yeah... see.. that's just way too much sugar in my book.   wrap it and fry it...that's it.
I was never a fan of turon with all that carmelized sugar.  Even worse when they put jackfruit in it.  blegh
sick.gif

Originally Posted by latinplatinum69

eyes.gif

laugh.gif
eyes.gif

Good job with those assumptions you keep making. Mind you I live in another predominantly Hispanic neighborhood, but that's besides the point. Go to Brooklyn and ask if the people there had plantains in a Spanish restaurant or a Caribbean one. Hell there are probably more Golden Krusts in New York than any one Spanish chain lol. Y yo no tengo problemas con mi latino gente. Hice una observacion. Hizo un comentario estupido. Ahora, fin tu mismo. Gracias.

Originally Posted by latinplatinum69

eyes.gif

laugh.gif
eyes.gif

Good job with those assumptions you keep making. Mind you I live in another predominantly Hispanic neighborhood, but that's besides the point. Go to Brooklyn and ask if the people there had plantains in a Spanish restaurant or a Caribbean one. Hell there are probably more Golden Krusts in New York than any one Spanish chain lol. Y yo no tengo problemas con mi latino gente. Hice una observacion. Hizo un comentario estupido. Ahora, fin tu mismo. Gracias.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Y yo no tengo problemas con mi gente latina latino gente. Hice una observacion. Hizo un comentario estupido. Ahora, fin tu mismo. Gracias.
C-

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Y yo no tengo problemas con mi gente latina latino gente. Hice una observacion. Hizo un comentario estupido. Ahora, fin tu mismo. Gracias.
C-

Originally Posted by ittakesalittlebitmore

plantain3.jpg

pimp.gif
The first pic is also made a lot in West Africa

Back
Top Bottom